Chapter 2

I'll Have The Last Laugh

"What time will you be going to the charity event?", Jongin asked in the midst of a phone call.

Sehun shrugged, "It starts at one, so around two. The first hour is greetings anyway".

Jongin nodded and returned to the phone call, "Yeah, it starts at two. Yes, I'll be there on time. N-", he sighed, "You don't have to send the driver, I can take myself. I promise I'll get there at two, okay?". Catching Sehun's gaze he rolled his eyes, "Yes, I understand. Yes, okay. Alright, I'll see you later". He put the phone in his pocket and took a seat next to Sehun.

Jongin lounged back in the chair and relaxed, "Do you want a lift?". Sehun shook his head, "Unlike you, I can't get away from the allocated driver". Jongin sniggered, "Did you get in trouble for lying last time?".

Sehun snorted, "You don't know the half of it. She threatened putting a tracking device on me".

Jongin's eyebrows shot up, "How'd you manage to escape that bullet?".

He shrugged, "I told her I wouldn't lie again. It also helps that I've been practicing my aegyo". Sehun looked at Jongin and gave him an innocent smile, his eyes squinting.

"Gross", Jongin held up a hand to block Sehun's expression. Sehun laughed, "It worked fine on her".

"You know, you really shouldn't be taking advantage of an older woman".

"Pssh", Sehun waved a hand dismissively, "She knows what I'm like. We view each other as family".

Jongin chuckled, "Alright alright, so...", he raised an eyebrow in thought, "What can we do to kill a few hours?".

With his foot, Sehun wordlessly nudged a controller to Jongin's hands and bent down to pick up another.

"Aha!", exclaimed Jongin, picking up the controller.

"Jongin, you're going down". The TV flashed on.

He smirked, "Sehun, I thought you'd promised not to lie".

 

* * *

 

Baekhyun looked in the mirror and straightened his tie. As repressed as he felt in formal attire, he couldn't help but admire the suit. A watch took its place on his wrist and finished the process of getting ready. He checked the time and nodded, 12:30, I can't be late.

With no time to waste, Baekhyun walked to the car and made his way to the event.

There were a lot of smiles, and names. A lot of names to remember. Am I going to be able to remember these names and match them to faces? I hope so, he thought to himself as he greeted another man in a suit.

After an hour of mingling more guests started to arrive, which meant more people to greet. I'm going to need some wine for this. He spotted a platter of glasses coming his way and made eye contact with the server. It seemed those around him had the same idea; the closer the glasses came to him, the less and less remained on the tray.

One left! There'd be other glasses rotating around the room, but he needed a drink now. Baekhyun reached for the last drink, his fingers brushing the edge of the glass before it was rudely snatched from him. His fingers twitched in annoyance.

As he followed the arm that took his drink, there was a brief moment where he believed maybe he had already drunk wine. Too much, in fact, that he was starting to hallucinate.

The man holding the glass ignored him and began to walk away. There's no way it's him. Is it? Baekhyun wondered, staring a hole into the back of Sehun's head.

Sehun took three steps away from Baekhyun before stopping, was that... his eyebrows pulled together and he turned around. Sehun felt his eyes widen. Of all places. He didn't expect to ever see this man again. Apparently the smaller man didn't expect to see him again either; he still had a guilty expression on his face. This was definitely the same man from a week ago.

"What are you doing here?", Baekhyun found himself asking.

Sehun couldn't bring himself to dignify that with an answer. If anything, he should be the one asking that question. He was about to make a sarcastic quip when he remembered his earlier vow.

"Sorry for the way I acted the other week, you really surprised me", Sehun smiled apologetically.

Baekhyun looked startled, he wasn't expecting an apology from this man.

"I'm Oh Sehun, by the way". 

"Byun Baekhyun", he held out his hand for Sehun to shake. He took it.

Suits him. Sehun found himself thinking.

He noticed Baekhyun's eyes drifting to his drink and inwardly smiled, "Sorry, did I take your drink?".

It wasn't your drink, it was on the tray. There is no tray ownership.

"Eh, no it's fine, I'll just get another", Baekhyun looked around for his way to escape.

"Allow me", Sehun told him, walking off to the nearest server.

Baekhyun smiled to himself, huh, he isn't as bad as I thought.

When his back was facing Baekhyun, Sehun allowed himself to smile. He took a second drink and brought it back to the patiently waiting man.

"Here", he handed the drink over and raised an eyebrow as Baekhyun took a gulp instantly.

"Sorry", Baekhyun apologised, "It's been a long day".

It's not over yet.

"Want to take a break? I don't think they'll mind if we step out for a minute", Sehun jerked a thumb in the direction of the doors.

Baekhyun thought about it quietly, "Sure, I don't see why not".

As they made their way out of the main hall, Sehun swiped up another full glass of wine to replace Baekhyun's half empty one. Sehun lead them to an empty, spacious room. The carpet was an unstained cream, the walls, the decor, everything screamed elegance and cleanliness. Baekhyun was the first to take a seat on the, surprise, cream sofa. Sehun sat a seat away from him.

They sat in silence while Baekhyun finished his drink, Sehun taking occasional, small sips to not seem out of place.

An empty glass was placed on the table. Now's my chance.

"Hey, do you want to see a magic trick?", Sehun turned to Baekhyun and gave him the same innocent smile he gave Jongin earlier.

"Uh", was all Baekhyun said. He looks younger when he smiles like that. He did forgive me, that was nice of him. "Okay, I'll humour you".

Sehun's smile became genuine, "Great! I need your help a little here", he motioned him over.

Baekhyun slid across the seat and moved closer to Sehun.

"Can you put your hands on the table here? Palm down", Sehun pointed, careful not to spill any of the liquid from the glasses.

Baekhyun did as he was told. He slid to the edge of the chair to reach the table, it was an uncomfortable position.

"Okay, now stay perfectly still while I do this next part".

Moving both hands simultaneously, Sehun placed glasses one and two on Baekhyun's hands.

"Done!", Sehun stood up and laughed.

"Done? What's the magic trick?", Baekhyun frowned. If one of the glasses fell, the perfectly cream carpet would be covered in wine.

Sehun bent down until his face was level with Baekhyun's, dropping his smile, "Try moving your hands without tipping a glass". He stood back to his full height and walked from the room.

"Hey! Sehun!", Baekhyun yelled, his eyes on the glasses every second, "This isn't funny! Come back!".

"Have fun", Sehun called out to him, barely containing his laughter before the door closed behind him.

 

* * *

 

"Sehun?", Jongin tapped his shoulder.

"Yes?", Sehun turned around and smiled when he saw it was Jongin.

"Have you just got here?".

Sehun shook his head, "No, I've been here for about ten minutes".

"You have? I didn't see you".

"I was a little busy. You'll never guess who's here...".



* * *

 

Sehun checked his watch, it'd been 10 minutes. That's long enough. Guilt was starting to eat away at him. He made his way back to the room that he'd left Baekhyun in and pushed open the door. Two full glasses of wine sat on the table, unoccupied.

How? Did someone help him?

"Looking for me?", Baekhyun raised an eyebrow and leant against the doorframe.

Sehun whirled around and stared at him, a silent question in his eyes.

"You're wondering how I'm standing here, and they're over there?".

Slowly, Sehun nodded.

Baekhyun beckoned him to his level, stopping only when his breath tickled Sehun's ear, "Magic".

Sehun's sombre expression made Baekhyun chuckle.

"See you around Oh Sehun", he walked off, leaving Sehun to stare at his retreating figure.

Oh Sehun, that's a name I won't be forgetting any time soon.