Red String of Fate

Just You and Me

 

“Jongwoon, this is Cho Kyuhyun, your stepbrother.”

I glanced up at the guy before me and shyly nodded at Mom before finally averting my eyes on him. “Hello, I’m Kim Jongwoon; it’s nice to meet you.”

There was much more to Cho Kyuhyun than what meets the eye. Aside from the fact that he was very much good looking, it was so obvious that Kyuhyunwas popular at school. He has a fan club, lots female and male suitors and well, his friends included guys that are so drop dead gorgeous that they almost looked like girls. Kyuhyun was fun to be with—that’s what I’ve noticed at school—he makes everyone laughed though he still gives off that intimidating aura wherein random people couldn’t simply approached him. He was the topic of town, the center of spotlight and the front page of the school’s newspaper. He has a lot of people at the tips of his fingertips and he could make anyone swoon with just a small smile.

He was very popular that it was almost embarrassing to walked near him—or even beside him—every time it’s finally time to go back home.

Kyuhyun was very blunt of his dislike of me. Well, he shows it to me that he doesn’t want me anywhere near him so I’d take the initiative of distancing myself from him. I was a little sad—of course, because he doesn’t want me to be his brother. 

Well, who would want to be my brother anyway? I’m plain. I have plain black hair without the excuse of either brown or red strands and I have brown eyes that doesn’t go well with my hair color. I was really ugly because of my plainness, I wouldn't attract any attention. I mean who would like someone like me? I was ugly, plain and most definitely not attractive.

And besides, I have this weird ability wherein I could see the red string on our pinky fingers and to whom it was connected. When I dare tell it to my classmates, they just laughed at me and before I could realize it, they were already distancing themselves from me. 

Sometimes I’d look in the mirror and asked myself what’s wrong with me. I couldn’t get along with people my age or maybe, I just really couldn’t get along with other people, period. Maybe it was because our brains functions differently and well, sometimes I’d even asked myself if ever other people view the world differently than mine. Or maybe, I was really just weird at all. 

No wonder many people distance themselves from me, because I’d rather be alone than asked for someone else’s company. I prefer reading books, playing piano or violin and being alone because sometimes, it makes me know myself more than waste a lot of time gossiping about other people. Because when people gossips with you, they’d also gossip about you. 

I have had experience that one time. After telling my classmates that I could see to whom their red strings are connected, the next day, students from my class started to make fun of me, saying that I was weird—bizarre—and that I should go check a shrink. 

But I wasn’t really in need of a psychiatrist. People just don’t understand me enough that’s why they keep on judging me and making fun of me. But after seeing to whom my red string was connected, of course, it made me think that I was indeed crazy. Because whether you believe it or not, my red string was connected with Kyuhyun's finger. 

I tried shrugging it off once—and I even tried cutting it once—but in the end, it would prolong again and would reconnect itself on Kyuhyun's pinky. 

But you know, lovers couldn’t be siblings that live under the same roof. In truth, we’re supposed to be just either one of them and worse, we couldn’t be either of the two. I couldn’t break my Mom’s heart—I knew that—Uncle was her happiness. And if I became selfish again, I know it would definitely break Mom’s heart. 

But well, why am I thinking about that anyway? Kyuhyun doesn’t like me and he wouldn’t. After all, even as siblings, I knew his dislike of me. 

And as I stare across the cafeteria, I caught Kyuhyun staring at me too and suddenly raised his pinky finger—showing it to me—as if he himself could see the red string attached to it.