After a Decade

Just You and Me

"Singing Long Live all the mountains we moved

I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you.

Long, Long Live the look on your face and bring on all the pretenders,

One day, we will be remembered.”

 

-Long Live, Taylor Swift

 

Date: April 30, 2000

Time: 7:30 PM

To: Cho Kyuhyun

Hey, you. Yes, I’m talking to you brat!

I’m writing this after what had happened awhile ago (when you finally told me that you love me). I didn’t respond, remember? Well, that’s the very reason why I’m writing this letter to you.

Remember when we were young; we used to write letters for each other even though my house was just across from yours. Yeah, we were that childish. Oh, how about this, remember when we climbed the walls leading to Mr. Park’s house so we could get that ball of yours since we’re afraid to ask Mr. Park nicely because we both knew that he’ll just scold us. And in the end he caught us and chased us out off his lawn, I laughed so hard that time because you were so freaked out that you tripped over your own shoelace and landed hard on the ground; face first. 

We practically grew with one another that at some point; between all those bickering, all those stupid fights, laughter and games we both enjoyed playing, I didn’t realized that I’ve been depending too much on you. That’s also the reason why I hated you so much when I heard that you’ll be leaving and will migrate to New York. I forced myself not to talk to you and ignored all your messages or wrote back when you send me a two-page letter because I really hated you that time. But you know what, read this part carefully because this is my first time telling (writing?) this to you, whom I really hated that time wasn’t you, it was me. Because I know that you’ll be back and that you’ll keep your promises to me yet I couldn’t bring myself that time to just let you go. 

I was so selfish Kyuhyun. I’m selfish.

I didn’t want to let you go. I wanted you to stay. That’s why I didn’t talk to you for a week because I was afraid that when the time finally comes and that you have to leave, I might not let you go. I needed to be separated from you, to be as far away from you as possible. That was called ‘detachment’. 

 But not once you thought of that, right? Because I was so good at hiding what I really felt that time. Even now, I guess. But Kyuhyun, how could I hate you? How could I hate my brother, my cousin, my only friend that was in you? How could I hate the only person who listened to me whenever I whined about my turtles? *laughed* ignore that one please. XD

But all of those memories were nothing but a remembrance of what we really were before you left, right? All of them belong in the past now. How many years have passed again? Is it five or eight? Ah, no, it has been a decade. It has been a decade without you, Kyuhyun, a decade without my best friend. 

And because of that I moved on.

I studied well, pursue the course that I really wanted and graduated on my dream university with flying colors. I restarted my life without you on it, I moved on because I thought that that was for the best. But by the end of the day; when all the doors were closed, when all the lights has been turned off, when there is no one else but me, I always wonder how are you doing. 

Because Kyuhyun, I always remember those who left.

I always remember you.

And then a month ago you knocked on the door of my apartment and smiled at me like nothing happened. We went back to what we were on the old days; once again we became the best of friends. You met my other friends and I met yours. Then little by little, I saw the changes that you brought with you. 

You were still the snarky person that I’ve known when I was young but Kyuhyun; you became quieter the last time I remember, you grew taller than me, your hair became the color of a dark chocolate, you became attentive of what I do, your eyes grew softer though Ryeowook told me that it’s just when you are looking at me but I never believed him. You changed Kyuhyun. And then I realized that something between us changed too.

Even my heartbeat changes whenever I’m with you.

Then you told me awhile ago that not once you forgot about me, that not even once I slipped out of your mind. You told me that you forced yourself not to reach me in any way because you’re afraid that once you heard me you might just turn away from your obligations and throw them all away. And that you know that that’s not what I wanted. Then you added in a whisper how much you love me.

And I felt like all the lights shined just for me and you.

Kyuhyun I failed to answer you that time because I was so happy that finally, for the first time, I get to have both the person and the love. You know how much unfortunate I am with this kind of stuff right, being rejected by my own parents and such. 

So now, I wanted to tell you Kyuhyun, that I love you too.

I thought I forgot about it the moment I restarted to live this life without you, but seeing you that day when I opened that door, seeing your eyes, your smirk. I remembered and then realized that not once did I forget about it.

 I have loved you before and I’m still in love with you even if a decade has already passed.

 

P.S

You’re still playing that Starcraft thing, aren’t you? *rolls eyes* No need to deny, Hyukjae, your friend already told me. Grow up already!

 

From: Kim Jongwoon

Kyuhyun puts down the wrinkled paper and looked up at the rising sun in front of him.

Cold wind of August accompanied the rays of the sun as it brushed through his skin but that doesn’t make him falter anymore. He was already used with coldness.

Without knowing, the corner of his lips tugged upward as another smile crawl up to his face once again. Reading Jongwoon’s letters for him never failed to bring a smile even if many years have already passed that made almost all of the papers worn out. The one he was holding was the second to the last letter he had received from Jongwoon since starting from that year onwards they were never too far from each other.

He could still clearly remember all the moments that were carefully stated at the piece of paper he was holding. All those beautiful times he has with Jongwoon up to those dark days when he left for New York and stayed there for a decade.

All of them, he could remember. Just like how Jongwoon remembers him when he was still away.

They both have a good run. They were so much compatible with one another that no obstacles tore them apart. Sometimes, Kyuhyun would think that maybe God had made them to be with one another. They bought a house of their own where there’s a great view of the sky since that’s what Jongwoon wanted and what Kyuhyun preferred. Many people envied them, how successful their relationship was, is.

Kyuhyun remembers the times when the both of them would just sit at the veranda of their house and would just stare at the stars above. It was peaceful, quiet with no one else but just them. He is thankful for Jongwoon and for all those memories they have with one another.

Kyuhyun spends a decade with Jongwoon before they left for New York and then twenty more years when he got back before they got separated permanently.

Maybe God saw how compatible they are, how perfect one is whenever the other is present because after two decades of their reunion, Jongwoon left him and went to a place where not just a sea or a mountain separates them. They were not just thousands of miles away, or millions, more than that separates them from each other.

And that is a fact that Kyuhyun had accepted many years ago.

They had a good run and that is enough, one of the many things he learned from Jongwoon is to be contented of what you have. He was contented with the three decades he has spend with the person he loves the most and looking back, Kyuhyun doesn’t have any regrets at all. He gained a lot, experienced a lot and felt a lot.

He had the time of his life with Jongwoon, some of their future plans became unfulfilled since it can’t be done without the other but for some; Kyuhyun is still trying his best to finish. 

He will cherish everything and treasure it in his heart and will forever keep it. 

A slightly wrinkled hand reached for the box that is lying still beside him and took out another wrinkled paper, a decade has passed since Jongwoon left him and all Kyuhyun could feel is coldness.

Because the only one that could keep him warm is Jongwoon and that person is already gone.

He looked down at the last of the many letters Jongwoon had given him and another smile made his lips curled upward. The very familiar messy hand writing of Jongwoon welcomed him saying:

Cho Kyuhyun,

Long live for our love. Our story won’t reach its period, not now or ever, only a comma, this is only a comma.

Kim Jongwoon

 

 

 

A/N:

An update! So, this story was actually inspired from the song ‘Long Live’ by Taylor Swift, if you haven’t heard it yet then you should try listening to it after reading this. It’s wonderful, really. :D I’m sorry if it’s a little bit angsty but please be informed that I really, really like that genre. Anyway, for those readers out there who’re waiting for the sequel of ‘Memory Keeper’, I’ll be posting it next. XD