Monday Occurrence

Just You and Me

Kyuhyun hated Monday.

He despised it, loathed it and detested it. Though his description may just be the synonym of one another, he still thinks that the way he felt towards the said day was too much that mathematically speaking, Monday is equal to hate raise to three - or simply h³ - thus, arriving to his descriptions.

One of the many reasons why he hated Monday was because it marked his very long weekdays. Logically, Sunday was supposed to be the beginning or the starting point of a week but for Kyuhyun Mondays were where his hell starts. It reminds him of his god-awful job; how tiring it is, how stressful he could get just by sitting in front of the computer and how much load of paper works the CEO of the company he was employed to would give him.

If only he accepted his father's offer of being the CEO of their own company but really, who was he kidding? Kyuhyun knew very well that that would only lessen his time for other things like being socially active or his time playing starcraft... or his time with his family. 

Because Kyuhyun promised to himself that he will never become the person that his father was. 

He sighed upon reaching the terminal and was welcomed with a large crowd of equally stress people that were all trying to get in front of the line. Another thing he hated about Monday was the turmoil it presented.

He doesn't really get the reason why there are so many people filling in the places that were almost, if not completely, empty during other days like the terminal or the road or the streets or the pavements or the malls or the diners or the park or the public library or...

God, he could continue with the list until forever.

Why Monday? What is it with this day? Why do people choose to clog the road on Mondays that would cause traffic which could get him late when it was the only day that he should be on time because their big boss always checks in on them every Monday?

He went with the flow as the 6:27 AM train finally arrived and took the spot near the door on the other side.

Monday , he thought.

And as if fate was playing with him, upon arriving at his stop he noticed that the arriving passengers were all holding their umbrella away from their body; afraid to wet their school uniform or their business attires.

'Damn. I don't have my umbrella with me.' And he sarcastically thought. 'Can't this day get any better?'

After climbing and cramming himself on the too crowded stair with people both arriving and leaving, he finally got himself on the entrance and observed as the rain pour so loudly on top of the roofs of the cars that were parked on the side of the road.

He watched as other people hurriedly went out of the terminal with their umbrella covering them from over their head. All colors of their umbrellas varying from the darkest shade of brown to black to dark blue up to the darkest shade of green were doing nothing but make his mood fall downwards even more. The sky has the color of dark gray, it's so dull, so gloomy that makes Kyuhyun wanting to just return back to his apartment and just sleep the day away.

Though unfortunately, it's Monday today, meaning their boss will have his mandatory rounds to check his employees. What a bad luck.

Indeed, Monday for Kyuhyun is a bad luck, an unfortunate day, gloomy, dark and so for him Monday . If only he could just skip this day and proceed immediately to Tuesday then there'll be no more problem.

Once again, he sighed massively.

But amidst the forbidding ambiance of the place, the time and the day that was when he first saw him. That was when the first meeting happened.

The guy with sleek black hair that greatly contrasts his creamy skin and flushed cheeks was standing not too far away from him. He was alone, wearing a light gray coat and his neck was covered with a red scarf. He was neither smiling nor frowning as he looked at the weather in front of them. He has his earphone on and as the guy pulled out his umbrella and opened it, Kyuhyun swore he never felt so light headed in his entire life.

Kyuhyun knew that it's not proper to stare at someone you don’t know but it's as if his eyes were already glued at the guy with the red scarf he can't take it off even if the said guy was already walking away from the entrance of the terminal.

Walking away from him.

People of different gender, height, weight, age, color, length of the hair and attire started to flock around him but as he gets eaten by the crowd, the guy with the red scarf stood out even more.

And Kyuhyun was left alone standing in front of the terminal with eyes still looking at the direction that the guy took.

That day, he arrived late at their office, wet and haggard courtesy of the rain but the thing was their boss never came for his scheduled check-up on them. And as the day went on, nothing came up that could make Kyuhyun feel preoccupied or to have a head-cracking headache.

When the day finally ended; when he was already done with his job; when he's done preparing and eating late dinner; when all the doors and windows were closed; when all the lights have been turned off, Kyuhyun could not help the smile that escaped his lips as the face of the guy wearing the red scarf came back to him like a gentle breeze sweeping through his mind.

He wanted to see him again because Kyuhyun never felt so satisfied just by looking at someone. He never felt so happy or excited; he wanted to see him once again because he never once felt the need to see someone just because. Without any more valid or invalid reasons, Kyuhyun wanted to see the guy with the red scarf.

 

---

 

Kyuhyun never saw him again; even after two days or three and even after weeks, he never saw the guy wearing the red scarf. 

And now, three weeks have passed already and the guy that he was looking for never came into the terminal again.

At first, he waited for him for a full hour at the terminal since that’s where he saw him but because he was so eager to see him once again, Kyuhyun still waited for the guy in the red scarf for almost three hours making him arrived later than usual in his job. And for the next couple of days, Kyuhyun still waited; sometimes bringing coffee, sometimes breakfasts, sometimes bottled drinks but most of the time he will bring chocolates. But no matter what he does - no matter how long he waited - the guy in the red scarf never came. It was as if he never existed at all, as if he disappeared so suddenly without any trace or hint.

It was as if the guy in the red scarf was just one of Kyuhyun’s figments of imagination.

 And he’s scared to admit that there’s a big possibility that his last thought might be true since he has history of imagining things to the point of mixing it with reality especially if he was experiencing stress too much.

Kyuhyun made his way in the front lodge of their company for his afternoon break. It’s Monday once again and to avoid the crowd that will soon fill in the café shop that he wanted to try, he asked the CEO for permission that he will have his afternoon break a little bit earlier than the usual and fortunately the guy agreed.

So here he was, sitting at the almost half filled shop with his order still on the making. He sets his laptop down on the table in front of him preparing to finish his paper works before his break ends when a guy wearing white polo and black apron approached him with his order. 

“Café Mocha for you, sir.” A husky voice said from his left side since he was at the corner of the shop and on his right was the floor-to-ceiling glass window. 

“Ah yeah, thank you.” He said as he continues typing on his laptop. Wordlessly, the guy – the waiter - left him as he worked on with his papers.

As time passed by Kyuhyun heard once again the tapping of the rain on the window just beside him and unknowingly, his fingers stopped moving as he watched droplets of rain washed over the once dry asphalt. 

The rain reminded him of the guy in the terminal. He sometimes wonders how he is doing – if he was true, that is. What his job could be? Why did he take that 6:27 AM train that time when he will never take it again? Is the color of red his favorite because his umbrella and scarf were both in the same shade of red? What music was he listening to that time? What kind of music does he like? What kind of person could he be? Sometimes, Kyuhyun wonders what it will be like if he approached him that time. 

He has so many questions that could only be answered.by one person; that could only be answered by the guy in the red scarf.

And Kyuhyun was afraid that those questions will forever be left unanswered.

Then realization suddenly dawned in him that even if Mondays were always his worst day of the week, in some way or another, it was on that same day that he met someone whom became his reason to wish almost every night that that particular Monday will be redone in order to correct his mistake of simply watching him from afar.

He sighed and smiled a little at how ironic everything turned out.

He called out a waiter and instructed him to transfer his untouched coffee in a disposable cup for the take-out. He wanted to hide from the rain since it only reminds him of that guy.

After securing his laptop in his messenger bag he walked towards the counter and waited for his take-out coffee while paying for the extra charges. A boy in his age smiled at him and greeted him enthusiastically and he only nodded in return.

“Where’s Jongwoon?” Someone from the kitchen came out and directly asked the guy in the cashier. After exiting the kitchen another guy with a reddish brown hair came out with his order and handed him the cup nicely.

“He’s out already. You know that he has classes to teach every Monday.”

They continued their idle chat as Kyuhyun went out of the shop but not after thanking the guy who handed him his order and hurriedly run for the bus stop to avoid getting soaked by the rain. He doesn’t really know why did he decided to have his afternoon break in a place far from his office.

As he stood there waiting for the bus to come, a flash of red and black pass through his peripheral view that made him turn his head almost immediately. 

And there he is, wearing the same red scarf that Kyuhyun saw in him that first Monday that he saw him. The guy in the red scarf stood once again beside him.

This time though he was not listening to any music since he does not have his earphone on. And the coat that he was wearing is in the shade of mahogany brown and he really looks cold to the point that he was rubbing his hands with one another while blowing on it every once in a while.

Without thinking, as if his feet has a mind of their own, as if it was the most natural thing to do, he walked towards the other guy and offered him his cup of coffee for some source of warmth.

The guy looked up at him surprisingly since he's a bit taller and just stare at him for a full second.

"Hold on to this. It's warm." Kyuhyun explained with a smile. He, too, just stared at the guy in front of him and thought that he could stay there forever just looking at him in the face.

Up close, he could see the almond shape eyes of the stranger clearly, he could smell him and Kyuhyun swore that he never smelled something or someone this good before. He could also see the way his eyelashes brushed slightly his cheeks whenever he blinks and most importantly; he could feel the warmness that he emits, a sign that he was very much real.

Reluctantly, the guy reached out for the cup and smiled a very beautiful one at Kyuhyun. "Thank you. But may I ask why are you offering me this?" He said. 

Kyuhyun felt his heart beats erratically upon hearing his smooth husky voice. God, he could die right then and there. Instead of answering his question he said this as a form of greeting, "Kyuhyun." He lend out his hand to be more formal. "Please, call me Kyuhyun."

The guy looked at him confusedly but reached for his hand either way. "Hi, Kyuhyun. I'm Jongwoon." He said.

And Kyuhyun will forever remembers that name.

They talked nonstop even after the bus arrived. Most of the time it was Kyuhyun who was doing all the asking and Jongwoon patiently answered him, sometimes he will be asked by the other guy but since he really, really wanted to know more about Jongwoon, he would immediately shift the topic about Jongwoon once again.

And Jongwoon finds that amazing.

Kyuhyun insisted that he will accompany Jongwoon to his destination and after some more of persuading he then agreed. 

Kyuhyun can't erase the smile on his face even after parting with Jongwoon, even after arriving at their office and even after getting harsh words from their CEO. He just couldn't believed how lucky he was to see the guy in the red scarf that goes by the name of Kim Jongwoon.

He had learned so much about him. He learned that aside from his part time job at the cafe shop he was also a full-time music professor, he owned a condominium and was currently residing there. The thing is, that building was owned by the family of Kyuhyun and he can't helped but think that it was all fated as cliché as it may sound.

Also, he has a younger brother that was managing their family business back in his hometown and that once a month he visits them to help and all. Sometimes, some information will pass Kyuhyun's ears without him deciphering it because he will suddenly get distracted at the way Jongwoon laugh. Or the way his eyes would suddenly lit up, or how the blush would abruptly occupy his cheeks.

All in all, Kyuhyun got a glimpse of what Jongwoon is as a person. 

He was not perfect, he has flaw and frequently commits mistakes but that only made Kyuhyun fell for him even more. Because he's not afraid to acknowledge his wrong doings.

Jongwoon was an open book.

He could clearly see through him. He could clearly see whenever he lied about something, he was selfless and that was one of his flaws.

And so, Kyuhyun promised to himself that he will protect him to every people who will try to take advantage of him. He promised to himself that he will be with Jongwoon.

He went back on his table and prepared the papers that he needed. He can't wait for the day to end since before seeing Jongwoon off, they both agreed to have late dinner later and Kyuhyun never smiled so much during Mondays.

He picked up his phone and eagerly sent Jongwoon his very first text message to him. 

'See you later, don't keep me waiting, okay?' 

After a minute his phone vibrated and he enthusiastically grabbed it from under the table and read the single line that made his smile even bigger:

'I'll be there, I promise.'

Kyuhyun hated Monday.

He despised it, loathed it and detested it. But that was until three weeks ago, that was the time before he met the guy in the red scarf, before he met Kim Jongwoon.

 


 

Author's Note:

Yes! I'm back, guys! I'm finally back with another oneshot and hurray for that. I was afraid since I thought that I might have to deactivate this account because I've been busy with studying lately which reduced my chance of writing new stories into zero percent but then *tada* just like a mushroom, I went on hiatus mode suddenly and came back unexpectedly as well. I hoped that you're not bored with this oneshot.

I'm sorry though if it, indeed, made you feel boredom to the highest level but I wrote this while raining so imagine the state of my mind that time. I don't have any inspiration or something. But hey, at least it's not angsty this time. I wanted to start lightly first.

Anyways, enough with idle chat and on with the business. Guys! Don't forget to tell me what you think, okay?