Augury

Just You and Me

A/N: I first posted this story in FFN using Gakuen Alice's characters since I'm quite addicted to that manga/anime. Its original title was Crimson and Hazel but I think it's inappropriate to use that so I changed it into Augury. This is one of the very first oneshot that I've made and posted online so if ever you found any mistakes [grammatically] please bear with me.

Disclaimer: I do not own anything but the plot.

Genre: Romance, AU, General

Title: Augury

Pairing: Kyuhyun and Kim Jongwoon | Yesung

 

   -;-

 

I’ve always been aware that I’d meet him.

It was already predicted. Like how the world has always been fated to exist, like how morning chases the night away and vice versa, like how people needed air to breathe. He was expected. No, I expected him.

Even if I’d only seen him on sketches and heard of him on predictions, even if he wasn’t yet to be born, or even his parents—or his parents’ parent and so on—I’ve expected him. I have lived for a thousand years, waited for him for billions of hours yet … those sad memories of awaiting for his arrival seemed to have diminished upon seeing him finally stepping inside the room.

And then, the warm feeling began. Like I was tied only to him; I was connected to him in every way possible … and even impossible. 

Like it was only him. 

Surely, I didn’t like the feeling. The universe—my universe—isn’t about me anymore. It’s all around him. It wasn’t a happy feeling … but not that bad. Everything about me centers on him. It was just about him within me.

Only him.

Sungmin nudge me by the ribs as he fixed his things in order. He, too, has been waiting for that person prophesied for him. And his universe arrived along with mine.

“He's here.” He announced, breathless. If he were talking about his or mine, it didn’t matter. My eyes are solely focused on him.

The guy with beautiful rounded eyes darted his eyes toward the empty table before us and wordlessly walked towards it. He followed; not wanting to be left behind.

 He had wavy black hair and his eyes were muddy brown in color. His skin was pinkish and his cheeks were flushed. I wouldn’t describe him as simple.

 Just him.

I continued to stare at him; silently watching him as he ducked on his bag to get his history book and ball pen. Confusion and slight suspicion played on his thin eyebrows as he searched for something he couldn’t seem to find.

He still seemed distress when he turned to his friend. “Ryewook, I think I forgot my pen. Do you have an extra?”

The guy named Ryewook seemed like he probably expected it. In silence, he pulled out a pen and handed it to him.

“Er, Ryewook?”

“What now, idiot?” He said as if idiot was his name.

So, idiot sighed. “This doesn’t have any ink in it.” he was putting up a fight against laughter as he stared at his annoyed friend.

To my dismay, Sungmin actually cracked a laugh. The two guy stared back at him in surprise—and amusement—as he retaliated. “Sorry. But that one’s really funny.” He lend out a pale hand. “Lee Sungmin.” He introduced.

“Kim Jongwoon” Jongwoon chimed loudly and swiftly eyed Ryewook. “This is my brother, Kim Ryewook.” And then, he focused his eyes on me. Not with blunt interest like what other people have here for me but with unexpected friendliness. “Hello.”

I ignored him—a stupid reaction.

Sungmin laughed as he stepped on my foot hard. “He’s Cho Kyuhyun. Don’t mind him. He’s under the influence if PMS-ing right now.”

Jongwoon's voice was confused. “Pre-marital -ing?

Ryewook snorted at his blunt idiocy. “Pre-Menstrual Syndrome, idiot.”

Sungmin had ignored their bickering as he focused his attention to the Ryewook guy. “Hello, Ryewook-ssi I’m Lee Sungmin You and Jongwoon-ssi doesn’t look much alike.”

“I’m adopted.” Ryewook says coldly and turns his back on us.

Jongwoon smiled apologetically at Sungmin. “Sorry, he’s under PMSS too.”

PMSS?

Sungmin voiced out my question. “What’s that?”

“Post Mood Swings Syndrome.” Then he laughed hard. When Ryewook glared at him, he went on to the easy topic. “Say, do you have an extra pen? I’ll give it back. Immediately.” He bit his lip. “Tomorrow.”

“I don’t have any extras but surely, my cousin, Kyuhyun has.” He snatched my bag from the floor to retrieve an extra pen but then, his shoulder slumped. “Ooops, it’s red”

“No, it’s totally fine.” He got the pen; relieved. “I’ll use any available pen. And besides, I like the red color. It’s beautiful … and lively.” Turning back to me; Kim Jongwoon smiled. “So, can I borrow it Kyuhyun-ssi?”

No need to call me with formalities. I’m better off with just Kyuhyun. “You already have the pen.”

Blood colored up his cheeks as he laughed. “I’ll take that as yes then, thanks.”

“No problem.” I muttered as I looked away.

Sungmin smirked at me in amusement.

 

      -;-

 

“Oh, my god…” Heechul chuckled under his breath as soon as he saw Kim Jongwoon and Kim Ryewook stepped in the parking lot and stood next to a dark blue Grand Cherokee minivan. He pushed past his brother—but lover in real life—Hankyung. “he was so good looking! Both of them, by the way.”

Hankyung leaned forward to inhale his scent as he laughed. “You look more dashing, though."

“Shut up” Heechul hissed and gazed back at Jongwoon and Ryewook.

“You bet he is.” Sungmin says proudly, leaning casually next to his blue convertible. “he’ll be mine soon.”

Ignoring their squeals, I leaned by the driver’s side of my red Mercedes and gazed at him. He was on the bench in front of the van while Ryewook was standing next to him. They were having a casual conversation when his eyes drifted over our direction.

A smile was suddenly on his face as he waved at us.

 Blood crept up my nape to my ears as I straightened up my back.

Heechul snapped -like eyes on me. “Woah, is your guy waving at you, Kyuhyun?”

“Kyuhyun's blushing” Hankyung lolled while playing with Heechul's hair.

I glared at Hankyung but my breathing suddenly comes to a halt when he stood up and made his faltering way towards us.

He stood right in front of me; still wearing his smile. “Hello”

“What are you doing here?” I ignored Heechul and Sungmin's grimaces. Hankyung just chuckled in casualty. “Do you need something?”

“No, I don’t need something but you are.” He pulled out my red pen from his backpack and waves it on my face. “You’re pen’s mad at me. She said she wants to see her master so I’m returning her. Here.” He handed it to me.

I took it but decided to prolong the moment. “You could’ve returned it tomorrow.”

Jongwoon laughed. “Well, I can’t wait until tomorrow. And besides, I’ve already seen you here so why not give it to you now? Your pen might kill me.”

“she’d survive.” I said, unsmiling; completely in focus of his muddy brown eyes.

He stared back at me for a few second, blinked twice before he looked away; blood was suddenly on his cheeks. “U-um … I guess that’s just all I came here for. Pretty insignificant, huh?”

Stupidly, I blurted out what’s on my mind. “It’s not.”

His blush became even more visible so immediately he snapped his eyes over at Sungmin's. “Hey Sungmin.” And then the happy couple on my left. “Hello sorry for my sudden disturbance.”

I did it again. “You’re not.”

Jumping off their Black Jeep Commander, Heechul turned to the still heavily blushing Jongwoon and roughly shook his hand. “Hi! So you’re Kim Jongwoon?! It’s nice to finally see you!”

“It doesn’t look and sounds nice when you’re shouting at his face that way. “Hankyung says and wink at Jongwoon. “Hankyung, by the way. He’s Heechul.”

“O-oh. Hi.” Another layer of blood brightened his face he almost looked like a tomato. It was fun to watch. But what’s not fun to watch is Hankyung's winking thing awhile ago.

I’ll give him reason to wink both his eyes as soon as we get home later.

As they mangled him with lively conversations, Sungmin fell on step beside me as he elbowed me hard on the ribs. “What was that all about?”

I arched an eyebrow at him; confused “the what?”

“You were leaning forward to him as if you were planning to kiss him.” He rolled his eyes.

I just shrugged and divert my eyes on him again. He seemed at ease now but the blush still lingered. Had I really been leaning forward him unconsciously awhile ago? 

I looked away again.

“Hey Jongwoon!” Someone yelled from the van. He was tall and probably a lot older than us—though our age here is just a façade—with his messy hair. My eyes narrowed into slits as soon as I heard him calling him by the name, it was sort of informal—very informal.

I didn’t like it even for a bit.

Jongwoon spun around and wave at the guy with too much enthusiasm—that, too, I didn’t like. “Hey, Jungsu-hyung.”

“Come on. We need to get home.”

“In a minute.” Turning back to Heechul and Hankyung, he smiled shyly. “That’s Jungsu-hyung, my brother. Well, I guess I need to go … or he and Ryewook will bite my head off.”

“You three don’t look much alike.” Heechul spotted.

Jongwoon giggled. “Well, they’re adopted. Wait till you see my youngest brother. He’s adopted too and very adorable. Well, I need to go. “Shyly, he eyed Sungmin and I. “Bye.”

Sungmin smiled genuinely. “Bye. Say hi to Ryewook for me.”

“I’ve got it.” Receiving a tight hug from Heechul, I watched him as he rushed back to his adopted family.

“How’s your day little brother?” He then wrapped one arm over Ryewook's shoulder. “And you too, Ryewook?”

Jongwoon laughed with affection. “Great actually, English is cool.”

“Jungsu-ah, I want to go home.” Ryewook said “I’m starving.”

“Oh, sure.” Jungsu unlocked the car and opened the door for his two brother and shut them close. But before he climbed up to the driver’s seat, he threw us a glare and then sped off.

“Woah, did he just glare at us?” Hankyung was immediately on my side.

“I didn’t like the idea of him touching my Ryewook like that.” Sungmin says possessively and walks to his car in annoyance. We watch Sungmin in warily. He seemed so mad that his eyes turned into a couple shades lighter. And when he touched the handle of his door, it turned into ice.

Jealousy isn’t really a good emotion for elemental holder like us. Even if we had lived during the time dark magic and witchcraft reined most of the world’s ancient countries and capitals and had mastered the heavy power we held, when jealousy come too much out of the hand, years and years of practice completely diminishes if it’s against that kind of silly emotion.

I hadn’t realized then that the steering wheel turned hot under my palms when I gazed at my reflection by the rearview, my eyes glowed a shade brighter. I loosened my grip on the wheels and tried to calm myself.

I’m not jealous. I’m not jealous, dammit!

As soon as our car entered the huge property that belonged to us, I tried my best to calm myself before parking my car allotted on the huge area for our cars. I jumped out of the car and proceeded to our three story glass-walled house with Sungmin, Hankyung and Heechul trailing behind.

We were welcomed by the scent of burning cookies.

I proceeded to the kitchen just in time I saw mom and my sister Ahra, hurrying to the oven to remove a pan of heavily burned muffins.

Sungmin was the first to react as he scrunched his nose. “Woah, Auntie, why did you murder the oven and the muffins?”

Mom dumped the pan on the sink and removed her mittens. “Hi, honey, darling.” She greeted us with such affection and advances forward to kiss us on the cheek. “I was making muffins for our little dinner later but something went wrong with my time measurement. And my friend even love muffins.”

My forehead creased. “Who's your friend?”

“My best friend, ever since the great fire in London.” She smiled enthusiasm. “I met her in London with her husband, and their son. He’s a good kid.

I let it drop.

“Sungmin, honey, will you help me with this?”

“Sure.”

“Hey, grandmother--ow!” Hankyung fell down face first on the ground; unable to avoid the rice cooker that mom had thrown on him. Hankyung and mom get along a lot … except when Hankyung calls her grandmother. She dislikes it extremely.

“Auntie, that hurts!” Hankyung complained as he stood and grab the rice cooker along with him. “Seriously, you’re taking this one too far out.”

Dad arrived at the scene of the crime soon. He frowned at the mess on the kitchen. Turning to mom, he kissed her forehead as his greeting. “Honey, what is the matter with our kitchen? And why is Sungmin nursing our broken rice cooker?”

“Auntie threw it on me.” Sungmin mumbled; pretending to be in pain.”Uncle, I should charge her for this. Physical maltreatment.”

Heechul rolled his eyes “suits you.”

Dad sighed in defeat. “Okay, guys, some of our old friend will be arriving here for dinner. I want you all to be polite and well-mannered.”

“Do they know…” Sungmin trailed off.

I’d rolled my eyes at that. “Stupid.”

“Shut up.” He glared at me.

Mom nodded still. “Yeah, they know. Their biological son. Yeah. Be careful around him. He doesn’t have full control on his abilities. I think a multi-user. But his energy is kind of either extinguishes his life or extinguishes the life of those near him when he’s lost control.”

Heechul gasped. “Oh my God…”

“And also,” Mom began again, “he’s the forgetful type. My friend says it’s the effect of him being a multi-user.

“I’m going upstairs.” I muttered in blunt disinterest as I excused myself. I wasn’t honestly on anything trivial but only him. It was hard—very hard. It’s like every single cell in my body screams out to see him. I wanted to see him. This is what’s bad when you finally met someone you’re tied into. It’s like force is pulling you all over the place to him.

Someone rang the bell and immediately, my cells and organs tensed—as if I wanted to run to the door. I ignored the feeling and changed into casual jeans and shirt and slip into my house slippers before I lazily went downstairs.

“Oh! The Kim's are here!” Mom announced loudly as soon as I get downstairs; there was obvious enthusiasm on her voice as she spoke their name. “Welcome to our house! Come in.”

Mrs. Kim was astoundingly beautiful. Both she and her husband had a set of deep brown eyes. Their hair was slightly wavy; Mrs. Kim's hair curled by the end of her hair. She—no, they looked very familiar.

My whole body tensed again.

Mrs. Kim's deep brown eyes studied me for the briefest of seconds before she smiled. She was so modest—too modest. “Is this Kyuhyun?” She eyed mom and dad.

Mom nodded and pulled me roughly to her. “Yeah. This is Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun, darling, these are Mr. and Mrs Kim.”

My forehead creased. Sounds familiar.

Mr. Kim grinned cheekily. “Yeah my third son said you’ve finally met Jongwoon.”

She turned to mom. “Our Jongwoon is tied up to your Kyuhyun.”

“But he is not aware of that.” Mr. Kim laughed again. “He’s all yours son. So, be careful of him, he’s a walking disaster.”

“Where is Jongwoon by the way?” Mom asked; impatient.

As they get preoccupied by conversations about Jongwoon, my head flew off to him. So, if Jongwoon is the biological son of mom's friend… that means he’s the multi-user mom has been talking about.

My body became even tenser when the front door swing open and revealed Ryewook's poker face. He ignored me; his eyes were focused on the Kim's. “Mom, dad, Jongwoon got in trouble.”

“What?!” My eyes narrowed as everything in me grew tenser. “What happened to him?!” Before he could even respond, I was immediately by the door and saw Jungsu with a boy barely sixteen years old helping out in him. “What happened to him? Is he hurt? Is he harmed?”

Jongwoon peek through Jungsu's protective elbow as a smile sliced on his thin lips. “Hey, Kyuhyun-ssi, what’s up?”

I heaved out a sigh of relief upon realizing that he was still alive and immediately I rushed to him. “Are you all right? What happened to you?”

“He tripped while taking a picture of a--is that a turtle?”

“It is and I’m fine seriously.” Jongwoon stood up and I helped him. His touch sent little shivers on every nerves I have it almost made me uncomfortable. “It’s just a little blood.”

“Is everything in here all right?” Mrs. Kim and mom appeared behind me; dad remained by the door. Mom stepped forward to check out on Jongwoon's wound. She looked up at him, anxious. “Jongwoon…”

“Well, bring him in.” Mom ordered. “Come on, Kyuhyun. Drag him in so we could heal his wounds.”

I knew they were watching us but I ignored them as I carried him into my back and brought him inside the house. He was so light and miniature in size he fitted on my body easily. It was carved out only for him.

I pulled him closer but not enough to make him uncomfortable. But the magnet that is my heart pulled me closer to him. I knew it then and there.

.

.

Jongwoon is the only one for me.

 

In this world, we exist not because we are bound to do something. But because of a certain someone that is waiting for our grand arrival.

And the rest is still unwritten (: