The Length of the String

Just You and Me

 

“An invisible red string connects those destined to meet, regardless of the time, the place or the circumstances. The thread can be tightened or tangle, but it will never break.”

-Ancient Chinese Proverb

 

It's full moon tonight.

The wind blows so hard that Jongwoon had to close his eyes just to avoid dusts from going into his eyes. He's tired, worn out and badly in need of sleep. Finals are just around the corner and he still have to finish some of the papers that are due next week. Aside from that, some professors are in demand with their requirements for their last clearance giving them loads of homework to be passed the day after tomorrow. 

Jongwoon's head might burst any moment now. 

Upon arriving he opened the gate of their new home; his and his mom and little brother, which was a gift from Kyuhyun's father. Kkoming, his dog, immediately charged in to welcome him; jumping here and there, biting his bag, barking at him while jumping before running back into the house.

 It's been two years after the date of the supposed wedding ceremony of their parents but things changed when, out of the blue, Kyuhyun suddenly barges in Mr. Cho's office with Jongwoon in tow before confessing about their relationship. Yeah, that was kind of rude.

Jongwoon knew that Kyuhyun couldn't stand their position anymore, especially if he could also see the connected red string that is in their pinky fingers. And Kyuhyun's not the patient type of a person or the quiet type or the shy type, he's not like that. He is straight to the point, he didn't use any flowery words and he didn't patronize his father when he told him about his relationship with Jongwoon. He didn't leave his father any room for arguments saying that he didn't care if they proceed with their wedding ceremony which was only a few weeks from then because he would never let Jongwoon go.

Jongwoon felt lightheaded that time. 

He never knew that Kyuhyun felt something so strong like that towards him. He thought that in their secret relationship that time, it was he who gives more love than Kyuhyun but he was wrong and Kyuhyun proved that when he confronted his father. He could still remember the most vital part of Kyuhyun's words that time

"I love him. And if you're expecting me to apologize because of that then don't. Because the only thing that I am certain in this world, in this lifetime, is my feelings toward this guy." He paused; staring straight at his father's unfathomable eyes. "And loving him is not a mistake, in fact loving him is the most veracious thing that I have ever done, dad."

The wind blows harder but despite of the coldness present, he couldn't help the smile appearing from his lips.

The rustling of the leaves brought him back into reality. He saw the string on his pinky swayed a bit making him realized that the direction it is pointing is at their garden. Another smile lit up his face. 

"So, may I know the reason of your smile?" The voice that he has been longing to hear since yesterday echoed from the bushes at the right side of the house. Immediately Jongwoon found himself rushing towards their small garden where he knew he is waiting. And he's right. At the most darkest part of the garden stood Kyuhyun with his backpack on and a picnic basket lying beside him.

"What are you doing here?" Jongwoon whispered as soon as he reached the other guy when what he really wanted to do is to kiss him senseless. 

He snorted at Jongwoon first before answering. "Really? Do you really have to ask that?" Kyuhyun looks really cute whenever he pouted like a child. Jongwoon thought. A side of him that only Jongwoon knows. 

Without thinking he smiled again. And when he did Kyuhyun immediately bent down towards him to give Jongwoon a peck on the lips.

He can’t help now the laugh that automatically came off from his lips when Kyuhyun did what he did. Kyuhyun doesn’t show this side of him, his being playful, to other people, not to his father or sister or to any of his friends. Only to him.

But his laugh cease when Kyuhyun moved closer to him and put his left hand on Jongwoon’s nape before slowly lowering down his face to level it with his. He smiled at Jongwoon, the smile that is meant only for his eyes to see. “I miss you.” Jongwoon heard him whispered. And those simple words are enough to make his heart jump out of happiness. Kyuhyun closed in the gap between their faces and when they are only centimeters apart the sound of someone opening the door from the front porch pulled Jongwoon out of his reverie.

He immediately pulled away from Kyuhyun who in return just sighed out of disappointment. “Why are you so scared?” Kyuhyun asked.

Jongwoon sighed before answering. “You know that we’re not allowed to see each other unless all my final exams are over.” He explained shortly. That is true; yesterday the three of them, including his mom, all agreed that unless Jongwoon is done taking his final exams they’re not allowed to meet since Jongwoon’s mom strongly believed that he might get distracted from reviewing and all. Kyuhyun doesn’t have any problem at all since he’s done taking his final exams last week.

“The last time I checked, it is only auntie who spoke yesterday,” Kyuhyun snorted once again, remembering the event that took place yesterday. “I wasn’t even given a chance to breathe a word! And you call that an agreement?”

Jongwoon laughed lightly seeing once again the childish side of Kyuhyun. “Stop that now, lover boy. We both know that you won’t listen to me even if I told you to go home already.” Then he looked down beside Kyuhyun where the basket is lying down. A smirked was seen playing on the lips of the younger man.

Jongwoon walked away from him and immediately entered the house. He greeted his mom who greeted him back as enthusiastically as he did then to his brother who looked at him suspiciously, he saw how the red string connected on his pinky also moved; changing its position which was now directed just above him before climbing up the stairs to locked himself in his room.

Upon entering, he wasn’t surprised anymore to see Kyuhyun standing at the terrace of his room looking at the stars above. Whenever he visits Jongwoon and wanted to stay for the night he would always sneaked back in using the backyard gate and would climbed the tree in front of Jongwoon’s bedroom then they’ll spend the night eating the food that Kyuhyun had bought for him, one time when they had a fight and Jongwoon ignored his texts or calls for almost two days he used this method to get to him.

He sighed.

Those memories are one of the best he has with Kyuhyun. He approached the guy that is standing by his terrace waiting for him to arrive. They just stood there in silence, hands intertwined, looking at the stars and at the full moon that seems like complimenting each other. Sometimes, silence is enough to tell someone how you really felt, how comfortable you are with them, how contented you are with just them beside you. 

What if Kyuhyun’s father forced them apart? Sometimes, questions like that popped in to Jongwoon’s mind and he didn’t know how to answer it…

From looking up at the stars, Kyuhyun looked down at him and smile.

…but one look from him, from the person he loves the most, reminds Jongwoon that as long as they both have the connection that is in the form of a red string they would always find a way to meet each other. Because just like how the old saying goes by:

 ‘The people that are connected by that invisible red string are destined to meet each other regardless of the time, place or circumstances.’

Just like us. He thought.

 

A/N:

Sequel of the 'Red String of Fate' as promised. Please do tell me what you think. (: