Piano Physiologist

My 22 Year-Old Middle Schooler

 

He doesn't want to turn left.  It's almost as if their is a sign, a huge one, that is specifically telling him not to. It's telling Chanyeol so many things, but it's not like he will listen. 


He's realized in the last couple of weeks his life has drastically changed. All because of the people around him. He seriously wonders why he has even decided to have friends. 
More days pass and he finds himself drinking more than the average person. He's back to his old self. Before he met Kyungsoo, where he'd tone it down. He's completely lost his mind. Or what mind he has left. 
He finds himself in the bar, restless, exhausted, eyes blood shot. He's been constantly debating within himself weather or not he wants to come here. Just like any other  addiction he can't help it. That's what he believes he comes for. The alcohol. Yet there's a voice in his head telling him otherwise. 
He's not at the bar for alcohol. But he's in denial, because Baekhyun's  constantly absent. Baekhyun has probably quit his job knowing Chanyeol will try to consult him in any way possible. Try to barge his way into other peoples lives. He never wanted this. And he really wished he has laughed at Baekhyun's stupid jokes, or smiled at his witty actions. 

He begins to think too much. 
That's never good. 

For a while random bar tenders he's never seen serve him, until he sees a familiar face. 

"Lay." Chanyeol says as if he's not real. It's been so long since Chanyeol has had any type of company, because the old men in the corner aren't helping.

Lay bows in response, cleaning the table throughly before leaving. Chanyeol wonders just what the heck has gotten into Lay. He never used to be like this. He used to be so fun in piano class, playing around whenever he wanted. Living a happy life. And then suddenly one day everything changed. 

"Wait." Chanyeol holds his arm out making a stop gesture. 

Lay is hesitant, as if he saw this coming, but he sighs. 
"Yes." The first words come out of lays mouth. Quite, and shaky. Like he's never spoken in his life. 

"Can we talk?" 

----------

They end up talking more than they should. So much that Lay will probably get fired. It doesn't matter so much since Chanyeol has unveiled Lay the mystery.

"My mom was diagnosed with cancer. I decided to take life more seriously. I got a job, worked hard." Lay shrugs. "When I found out about my mom, Baekhyun was the first to consult me. He told me there was an open space where he worked." 

There a small thankful pause so Chanyeol get everything sorted though his mind. 

"You're lucky to have a friend like him." Lay looks toward to ceiling. The atmosphere is so weird. Before everything seemed like an ongoing comedy, but now Chanyeol doesn't know anymore. Reality exists. Chanyeol thinks twice before he takes another swig at his drink. 

"Where... Uh... Is he? Have you seem him?" 

"No he hasn't been at work for a long time. last time I heard he's at some Luhan guys house." 

Luhan... 
He decided to not bring up Luhan. 

"I heard about you and Kyungsoo. I'm sorry." Lay speaks up again. 

"You don't need to apologize. It's not like it's your fault." 

"So who's was it. If you don't mind me asking." 

Chanyeol has the nerve to let out a little laugh. 
"I don't know my self. He told me it wasn't working." 

"...oh." 
Chanyeol nods a small insane smile on his face. 

"You know. Maybe I think he's right. Maybe this is what was suppose to happen. But I can't help but feel like an idiot. A complete oblivious idiot."

Lay eyes him carefully. Likes he's trying to look within him. 

"It's more." He concludes. 

"What." 

"There's something else. Don't lie. You're hiding something. There's no way someone could get do overworked over a break-up." 
He shakes his head in dismissal. 

"Wow I can already feel old Lay coming back." Chanyeol rolls his eyes half- heartedly. 

"I don't see the old Chanyeol though." 

"That Chanyeols gone." 

"It's your family right." Lay shoots at him all of sudden. Instinctively Chanyeols leg begins to shake. And even more now that he doesn't has a  certain someone to soothe it. 
Chanyeols head is pointed towards the ground avoiding eye contact. 

"I don't know-" 

"You can't lie. I know, family problems right? Apparently you ran away from home. Well at least that's what he told me." Lay says nonchalantly. 

"He told you? How do you know this? Who told you?"
Chanyeol stares at him in disbelief. 


"Baekhyun." 


Chanyeol jumps a little from jumps a little from his table. 

"How in the hell- how could he have known-" 

"You do know what Baekhyun is right?" 

"A man! A man who looks too young for his age? A 12 year old? I don't know!" 

"He's a phycologist." 

"A what in the hell is a-" 

"Oh right, I forgot you were a ." Lay face palms. 
"The point is he was out on an assignment. He needed to find someone, well he said someone "intresting" to study-" 

"Wait wait you need to go a little slower this is all too much to take in." 

"Why?" 

"Well, to me Baekhyun was dumb school boy who procrastinates like his life depended on it. Not to mention his horrible piano playing, his annoying jerk comments, his stupid grape juice, the fact that he goes to a ing  arts college, his annoyingly contagious smile-" 

Lay eyes him awkwardly. Oh what did Chanyeol just say. That Baekhyun's smile was contagious. It's not like he noticed those little things. 
No. 
"I mean-!" Chanyeol is stopped by Lays helpless laughs. For some reason it doesn't anger Chanyeol because it's been so long since he's heard any type of laugh. 

"His smile has always been annoying." Chanyeol admits in defeat. "But I can't help but notice it all the time. And it ing bothers me that someone like him could even be as close to being my friend." 
Wait Freind? What friend? Baekhyun's his friend!? 

"That's why he chose you." 

"Chose me for what." 

"For his assiengment." Lay groans. "Didn't you ever think Baekhyun was a little suspicious the first time you met him? How we randomly started going to the exact same school you were going to. That he carelessly followed you everywhere with out a reason.  That he was incredibly suspicious and never talked about his own life. That he would constantly play around like everything was a game?" 

Chanyeol looks at him dumbfounded. His feels a weird sensation all over. Chills. 

"Get it through your thick head will you." 

Chanyeol begins to see everything in another light. Maybe he doesn't know quite everything. 

"Since when the did  you get so close to him?" 

"Since long ago." Lay crosses his arms In amusement. "Why, jealous?" 

"No way in hell-" " Chanyeol protest he can feel his ears become red. 

"I know you like him." Lay smiles. "How I love desperate love." 

"You don't know anything." Chanyeol looks away. 

"You're right I only know you kissed in the janitors closet." Lay winks. Chanyeol gapes at this new Lay. Just an hour ago he looked like a fragile person. 

"You sneaky little- "
Chanyeol feels the need to jump him.

"Anyways, Baekhyun knew everything. I guess he acted really stupid to fool you." 

"So was I just a project? An assiengment?"  Chanyeol says truthfully. After all he has to try to hate Baekhyun in some way. 

"Well you were. But you weren't. Baekhyun told me all about you. He swooned over you. Chanyeol this, Chanyeol that." Lay sighs, taking a breath. "He really liked you Chanyeol." 

Those last words ring inside Chanyeols head for way too long. His ears are burning. 
But why does he care.

"It's not like I care." 
Chanyeol rolls his eyes. 

Just then Lay throws a piece paper towards him. Chanyeol sees various numbers scribbled on it. 

"His cell number." Lay explains. 
"Call him if you dare." Lay laughs one last time as he begins to leave. Chanyeol stares at the piece of paper. It means nothing, but it means so much. 

"Thanks." He says so quietly, so no one can hear. 

"Yeah, yeah." Lay walks back into the kitchen.
This guy's really something. 
This whole situation is really something. 

-----------

Even though Lay had given something that might clear his mind a little, he can't help but feel a little deceptive towards all of this. 
Firstly, should he even trust Lay. Was all that he told him the truth? Is this phone number even legit? These questions run through his mind only when he begins to dial the number in front of him. He makes so many mistakes while typing. Realsing after that his hands are shaking. 

What will he even tell Baekhyun? 
Yeah, he's going to say sorry, but he can feel that something is missing. That just a sorry is not enough. He needs to tell him something important. Something he's been denying. Something that will probably make him red to the bone. As embarrassing as it seems, the words will not slip out of his mouth. Not yet. 
First he needs to make up with him, apologize. He needs to, after blaming Baekhyun for literally nothing. 

After several attempts to get the call on the line he receives a text message instead. 

Another adventure? It reads. 

Chanyeol groans at the familiar text and frowns. He remembers last time at the party when some random text was sent to him, telling him to go to the school for an adventure. 

Shut up. 

Trust me, it's worth it this time. 

I don't care. 

You'll see him again. 

Chanyeol squints at the screen trying to understand what this person is referring to. 

See who? He types back. 

Who you saw last time on your adventure. 

Chanyeol needs to think for a while. Last adventure? 

Baekhyun you mean? He types fast, like he's solved a mystery. 

Yes. 


Just who are you anyways?


You'll see me too. 


I don't get it, what's the point of all this? 

Just come to the same janitors closet at 9:00 pm. 

How can I trust you? Chanyeol finds himself asking because honestly the only reason he came last time was because he was drunk. His drink is still in front of him untouched. 

Do you trust Baekhyun? He asks instead. For a second Chanyeol is stuck. 


I mean yeah, I don't know. Chanyeol types quickly. He doesn't real die his cheeks are red. Just at this small comment. 

Then you can trust me. 

But why, what are doing? 

Doing what's best. For the both of you. 

That's creepy. You're making me think you're Baekhyun. And what do you mean what's best for us?

What I should have done long ago. 

------------------

Hesitantly Chanyeol runs to school because he has ten minutes. Before he leaves he feels shaky so he instantly picks up his full glass of vodka and chugs it like no tommrow. 
He doesn't really know where he'll end up so he might as well be drunk. Additionally he needs a reason to be there. And maybe he does. Maybe Baekhyun is that reason. He's never felt like he's missed someone so much after his parents. He'd never say that out loud though. 

As he enters the school he can still see people, but they seem to leaving. He runs to the janitors closet and barges in. Surprised that no one is the room he starts to talk to nothing. 

"Okay, where are you." He breathes. Glancing at his watch he realizes it's already 9:30 and he is probably too late. He inwardly groans an takes a seat on a small familiar stool. Remembering what's under it he opens a small chest to reveal grape juice. He laughs to himself. Probably looks really crazy but it doesn't matter any more. He sips the grape juice quietly like it's his only sanity left. Maybe this was a huge prank. 

He looks around the room, and his eyes spots something. A bag. Someone else's bag. His heart veins to beat faster. It's Baekhyun's bag. 

Initially there is no reason for Chanyeol to open Baekhyun's bag. Baekhyun may also be angry, but right now he's drunk. Yeah that his excuse. Plus it may just give him some clues. 
When he opens it he sees nothing except a small black notebook, and his previous music homework he had copied of Chanyeol. He finds interest in the black mysterious notebook. It seems used and old, like he's been writing in for a long time. 

He begins to read the first page that is filled with what could be known as the most awful handwriting ever. 
Typical Baekhyun. Some weird phycologist. 

Despite the handwriting Chanyeol can make out what's written. 

April 13


-nervous wreck
-drinking problem 
-secrets,lots 
-incapable of expressing feelings
-boyfriend (awkward relationship) 
-oblivious wreck 
-my guess is family probs 

It takes a Chanyeol awhile to realize this is about him. 
Some of the information was true, but some were just plain rude. 
Awkward relationship with his boyfriend? Okay, maybe on the outside it seemed like that. Oblivious wreck? 
Chanyeol angrily turned to he next page. 

April 15 

-tells me most secrets 
-opens up
-friend stage 
-moving away from boyfriend, slowly surely. 

Just what the hell is this. Chanyeol  keeps thinking. He knows these are Baekhyun's notes for his assiengment, but it sounds like he's cooking up a plan to fail Chanyeol in every way possible. However, once he turns the pages the comments become a little lighter. He can't help but stare at the same sentence over and over again. 

"Moving away from boyfriend, slowly, surely." 

Is this what Baekhyun has wanted? Was Chanyeol right to blame him. Or maybe it wasn't that. He needs to ask him In person. 

Looking at the notebook full of attentive notes of himself tires him out. He looks through the bag once again, but the only item is his piano homework. 
While opening it  he knows he'll find just what he's looking for. Bad quality work in courtesy of Byun Baekhyun. He is surprised when he finds nothing of the sort. Instead he sees perfectly done work. Music notes written perfectly. Chanyeol suspiciously wonders if he did such a good job on his own assiengment that Baekhyun copied. But when he opens his paper, it is the complete opposite. 
In fact it looks as if Baekhyun was saving time by copying the content from Chanyeol, and correcting the answers himself. That's not what surprises him, it's the fact that he actually got all of his answers right. That Chanyeol got all the answers wrong. He suddenly remembers what Lay told him.

"You do know what Baekhyun is right?" 

"A phycologist." 

Chanyeol begins to wonder if he's more than a phycologist. 
Baekhyun's impish smile flashes into his head. 

"What can I say, I'm a prodigy." 
Could it be that everything that Baekhyun was joking about was undeniably true. 

His thoughts are stopped when he hears a faint sound coming from the room next to him. He ditches the bag and decides to follow the sound. The closer he gets the more he realizes the sound is of music. It may be because Chanyeols drunk, but suddenly he realizes why he he cares so much about the sound. It's a piano. 

As he enters the room he makes the mistake of walking in on someone playing the piano so beautifully Chanyeols mouth drops until it reaches the ground. 
If it could drop any lower it does because suddenly he realizes who is playing it. 
It's Baekhyun.

Whatthr the the hell. Is all running though Chanyeols mind.
He watches in awe as Baekhyun's slender fingers move so beautifully across the instrument. In the sunset his eye lashes are gleaming and his skin gives off a warm, happy tone. It's too late for Chanyeol not to notice these things about Baekhyun. He's just so.... Beautiful. 

He wants to run and strangle Baekhyun. For everything. For ditching  school for the past few days. For being un cooperative, being lazy, annoying, dumb, stupid,
And annoying again. For making Chanyeol worry, for making him wonder, making him think too much. For letting him see this side of Baekhyun. For lying to him. But most of all, Chanyeols just fallen so Damn hard for him he doesn't have anything to say to Baekhyun. 

When the music stops, the awkwardness that follows his deathly. They haven't seen each other In a while. They don't even know what to say to each other, jut stare at each others faces. 

Baekhyun expression reads confusion and surprise. Suddenly Chanyeol feels angry, but not the kind of angry as before. 
Its a weird type of angry.

"Really. Really?" Chanyeol begins to sputter his thoughts out loud. 
"You are basically the biggest liar I've ever met Byun Baekhyun." 

At the odd first words spoken Baekhyun blinks. His eyes become wide and then he laughs his off. 
Laughs and laughs. 

It almost offends Chanyeol, only he hasn't seen that laugh in what felt like forever, so it was worth it. Chanyeols eye brows are raised, playing a long. 

"A phycologist? Really?" Chanyeol throws at him. He advances to where Baekhyun laughs out loud. 

"Say something!" Chanyeol pleads. "At least say something!" 
Baekhyun let's out his last laugh and gives Chanyeol a toothy grin, his crescent shaped eyes visible. 

"I didn't think you were that funny Park Chanyeol." 

"Ugh, your annoying as always." 

"My mom said annoying is cute." 

"You are cute- I- shut up. You didn't hear anything." 

"I heard it all." 

"I heard you too. Why were you acting like you didn't know how to play piano?" 

"Don't you know, that's what prodigies do." 

"Byun Baekhyun I will strangle you-" 

"With a kiss." 

Chanyeol stops in his tracks. He starts talking too much. 

"Well, I mean I don't think tongues can strangle each other, maybe the can tangle up of something but that would be a mess though-" 

"Just come here." Baekhyun smirks. 

Just like that, without a word Chanyeol drifts in the direction of Byun Baekhyun like a ing slave.  He lifts his chin into a nice, long awaited kiss. Chanyeol even decides to tangle their tongues for the fun of it. It feels good. It feels so good. Chanyeol knows something now. It's taken so ing long, but he knows for sure now. 

He is in love with Byun Baekhyun, weather he likes it or not. 

When their lips part Chanyeol feels another body inside of the room. When he turns his head in he direction he sees a familiar face. 

It's Kyungsoo. 
He's been watching the whole time. 

------------
Authors note:

I hope you all know that this story was so random lol. Like the phycologist thing was really random. I tried tho lol. As for the rest Idk. I like baekyeol. This chapter in courtesy of b's b-day. 

Which means the next chapter (last one) will be posted on Chanyeols birthday in November!  Haha jk. Got you there. Yeah so I apologize for the stupid mistakes and what not. One more chapter to go. Woot woot.