Part 3

What I Did For Love?

I decided to take a shortcut home but as I passed the alley, a hand pulled me in. I was knocked to the ground and a shadow hovered over me. I began to scream but the same hand covered my mouth.

“Shut up or I’ll kill you!” I shut my mouth instantly. I didn’t want to die yet. In the moon’s reflection I got a good look of my attacker. It was a boy who looked a little bit older than me. His face and clothes were dirty but he had really good features so I could tell he was extremely good-looking. But this was not a time to think about such things.

He held a table knife at my throat and said, “Give me all your money or I’ll kill you.”

I panicked but I knew what to do. I used the move I wanted to use on my stepmom every time she pinned me down and hit me. I kicked him hard, right into his family jewels. He gasped and fell to the floor, dropping the knife. I picked up my groceries and ran.

I guess you can call me the dumbest person alive. I was afraid I had kicked the boy too hard and permanently injured him. Besides, since my life is hell already, I didn’t want him to go through it too. So I turned back.

When I came back to the alley, the boy was still lying on the floor. He was softly. I lifted him up gently.

“Are you okay?” I asked. He shook his head.

“I’m sorry,” I said to him. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the money Mr. Choi gave me.

“If you need money, then here it is. All I have is ten dollars.” I placed the money in his hand and walked away. He looked at me with this weird expression that I couldn’t read. I picked up my groceries and this time I left without turning back. I could tell the boy was watching me as I was walking away…

---> to be continued...