Part 23

What I Did For Love?

Meanwhile back in the hotel lobby...

After Min Ho and the others gave the new recruits instructions about the meeting, they went back to their rooms.

“You think there’s something wrong with Jayson hyung?” asked Tae Min.

“Yeah,” said Ki Bum. “Did you see the way he held the new guy?” They began to shudder.

“No, it’s nothing,” answered Min Ho.

“You think maybe Jayson is gay?” asked Byung Hun.

“You’re the one who looks gay,” said Ki Bum, jokingly.

“Shut up!” yelled Byung Hun as he punched Ki Bum lightly. The others began to laugh.

Then Hyun Woo said, “Could be though. I've never seen him ‘be’ with a girl before.”

Min Ho lets out a sigh.

“Okay, I’ll tell you guys the real deal. But don’t let this get back to Jayson okay?” They all nodded and leaned forward to hear the story.

“About 5 years ago, Jayson hyung met this girl named Park Ji Yeon….”

“Is she a babe?” asked Ki Bum, interrupting. Min Ho gave him a look.

“Yes, Duckie, she’s a babe.”

“Oh, okay,” said Ki Bum.

“Continue.”

“Anyway, Jayson knew her before he met me. It turns out that she was the first person who really ever cared about him and Jayson fell in love with her. But you know how hyung is. He could never tell anyone exactly what’ s on his mind or how he feels. Instead of saying he wants Ji Yeon to be his girlfriend, he said he wants her to be his dongsaeng...“

“That’s stupid!” yelled Ki Bum, interrupting Min Ho.

“Why did he say that for? She’s a babe!”

“Sh..!” yelled Tae Min, Byung Hun and Hyun Woo at Ki Bum. Min Ho continued.

“Well, Jayson ended up having this blood ceremony with her. They scarred each other’s back with their initial. It looks like a blood tie but I found out later on that it was his symbol of promised love...“

“Ow.. That must have hurt,” said Ki Bum as he hugged himself. Tae Min smacked him on the head for interrupting again.

“I think they knew each other for a year before they met me. At first I thought Ji Yeon was cute, but by the way Jayson acts, I can tell she was off limits. See, Ji Yeon had this heart condition where air would suddenly be closed off and she wouldn’t be able to breathe. The only way to get air in was by this respirator...“

“The one hyung always carry around?” asked Ki Bum.

“Yes Duckie,” said Min Ho, rolling his eyes.

“Anyway, it was either that or mouth to mouth resuscitation. Once, I was walking along the shores with her and Jayson went collecting shells for Ji Yeon. One of her attacks came. I freaked out, but I knew what to do. I laid her down and I was about to give her CPR but Jayson ran like the speed of light and knocked me into the ocean to give her CPR.”

The others started laughing.

“Dang, ain’t he a Romeo?” said Ki Bum, laughing. Min Ho smiled.

“He loves Ji Yeon and didn’t want any other guy touching her. I mean, during school, if any guy talks about wanting to date her, Jayson made sure he didn’t. Oh yeah, Jayson hyung hasn’t always been Jayson. His real name is Seung Ho. The ‘J’ scar on his back stands for Ji Yeon, not Jayson.”

The others opened their mouths in shock. They never knew Seung Ho had been this much in love before.

“How romantic,” whispered Ki Bum.

“Shut up hyung,” said Byung Hun.

“Quit interrupting!”

“Okay, okay,” said Ki Bum, blocking himself from Tae Min’s hand. Smin Ho resumed talking.

“If there are no more interruptions, then I’ll continue.” He paused for a second and then continued.

“The day before Jayson and I made it to Korea, he and Ji Yeon were supposed to get married. Jayson didn’t like his dad and there was this feud in their family on who gets the grandpa’s inheritance. Jayson got it of course, and he took it all and left Hawaii. He took me and he was planning on taking Ji Yeon too. When he went to her house, his uncle’s men were guarding the place and he couldn’t take her. He ended up leaving Hawaii without saying goodbye to Ji Yeon.”

All of them remained silent. Then Hyun Woo spoke.

“Last year hyung sent me out to get some news on Park Ji Yeon. She had died drowning.” Min Ho nodded.

“Yeah but Jayson and I think she committed suicide. He think it’s because Ji Yeon can’t handle living with her stepmom, who was always abusing her. If you ask me, I think Ji Yeon committed suicide because Jayson left her without any reason. I think hyung thinks that too but he won’t say it. I think he blames himself for her death and since then he hasn’t been the same. He used to be nicer and not this touchy. Also that’s why he’s never been with another girl. I mean, we see him flirt with other girls but none of us actually see him ‘be’ with another girl right?” The others nodded in agreement. Min Ho continued. “About this new boy today. I think Jayson is losing it. He probably thinks when he sees the boy he sees...“ Min Ho stopped talking as he looked up. He finished his sentence with a “...See you later!” and he ran off.

---> to be continued...