Memories

Beauty in Disguise

Chatter echoed throughout the entire school as everyone was talking about the Masquerade Ball that was going to be held on Saturday at 7:30pm. Everyone could hardly hold their excitement about the event except for one. As everyone was discussing about what they were going to wear, Tiffany stood in front of the event poster, just staring at it. ‘I guess it’s this time of the year again.’ Tiffany thought. The school held annual events changing the theme each year and each year, Tiffany wouldn’t attend them. It wasn’t because she hated them but rather she preferred not to go. There was a time where she would be excited like everyone else but these sort of events just reminded her too much of the past.

“I’ll be seeing you at the ball right?” Tiffany heard a voice say from behind her. Tiffany mentally jumped, surprised by the voice but regained her composure. Tiffany turned around and locked eyes with the owner of the voice, who was walking towards her with a smirk. Nichkhun halted close next to Tiffany and started to look at the event poster.

“Unfortunately I’m going to have to pass.” Tiffany said in a sad, melancholy voice.

Nichkhun diverted his attention to Tiffany as he caught the slight change in her expression. Tiffany was full of mysterious. He wanted to know everything about her especially about her past. Although she would look happy and cheerful at times, there was always another meaning hiding behind that smile. ‘She must have been through a lot. What exactly happened to you Tiffany? You’re not alone. I’ll always be there for you.’ These thoughts ran through his mind as he gazed into Tiffany’s eyes. As Tiffany looked into his eyes, she could see the warmth. She felt that he was different, that she could trust him. Her heart was slowly starting to open up again.

“That’s a shame.” He replied showing his disappointment as he redirected his eyes to the poster. “I really wanted to dance with you.”

“It’s a Masquerade Ball. How would you even recognise me?”

“Trust me. I’ll recognise you anywhere. I’ll know who you are even with a mask. No matter what I will find you.”

Tiffany’s heart skipped a beat.  Her feelings for Nichkhun were becoming clear. She was beginning to accept and embrace her feelings for him. Tiffany was disappointed about not being able to dance with him but she had her reasons. She was still slowly trying to accept the past, which who knows how long that would take. At least she was slowly making progress.

“Khun!” another voice called out. Tiffany resisted the urge to roll her eyes as she heard the voice. “There you are, I’ve been looking for you everywhere. You said you were going to help me practice with my script.”

Victoria came over and linked her arms with his. She hugged her body close to his arms, which made them look like a couple. It made Tiffany slightly mad and jealous but she didn’t show it and just kept smiling.

“Ah yeah. I’ll see you later then Tiffany.” Nichkhun said before waving goodbye and being dragged away by Victoria. ‘Calm down, they’re just childhood friends who are really close. Maybe too close.’ Tiffany said to herself, trying to reassure herself but Tiffany couldn’t get them out of her mind. Even she thought that they would make a great couple. What chance does she have?

 

Afterschool, Tiffany and Bora started walking home. Bora didn’t have any schedules until later so she was going to hangout at Tiffany’s for a while. As they were walking home, they stopped at the park for a while. Bora was busy on her phone talking to Kai so Tiffany decided to take a stroll around the park looking at the beautiful scenery. As she was walking along, she saw some beautiful pink roses that made some memories flashback into her head.

“Mummy! You’re home.” Tiffany shouted with joy as she ran to her mother.

“My lovely princess.” Tiffany’s mother exclaimed, kneeling down with her arms open, ready to bring Tiffany into an embrace. She hugged Tiffany’s small body tightly against hers, not wanting to let go of her precious daughter. Finally willing to release Tiffany, her mother held her two hands in hers. “I have a surprise for you.”

Tiffany’s mother left the room and returned a minute later with a present in her hands. It was wrapped beautifully, tied with a pink bow for the finishing touch. Tiffany untied the bow and quickly unwrapped the present. She carefully opened the lid of the box, revealing a pretty pink dress. It was absolutely gorgeous; Tiffany could not believe her eyes. It was simple but elegant. It had some lace detailing so it wasn’t too plain and it flowed down nicely, nearly touching the ground but not quite.

“It’s absolutely beautifully. Thank you Mum but what’s the occasion for?” Tiffany questioned curiously. It definitely wasn’t her birthday.

Tiffany’s mother couldn’t resist letting out a tiny giggle seeing Tiffany’s reaction. “You look absolutely gorgeous my princess.” Praised Tiffany’s mother with a proud smile across her face. “As for the occasion, well I’m going to take you to your first event. Although this is your first event, it definitely won’t be your last. I’ll take you to many more events in the future. How does that sound?” Her mother had a smile plastered on her face as she saw how beautiful and excited Tiffany looked. That smile will never be forgotten in Tiffany’s head. It will always be a memory that will be forever cherished.

“Tiffany! Watch out!” Bora shouted, grabbing Tiffany’s arm and pulling her back onto the pathway just in time as a car zoomed past right in front of their eyes. Tiffany was so spaced out that she didn’t take any notice of her surroundings. She didn’t even notice that she had walked so far away.

“Are you okay?” Questioned Bora.

Bora wore a worried expression. When she finished talking to Kai, she noticed that Tiffany had disappeared. Lucky she found her on time otherwise her friend could have been hospitalised or even worse. Bora didn’t want to think about what could have happened.

“Ah yeah. Sorry was just a bit spaced out but I’m fine.” Answered Tiffany.

Bora could only sigh. “Alright as long as your okay and in one piece but please don’t space out again. Especially places where it is dangerous. I swear I’m going to have to hire a babysitter when I’m not around. Come on lets go.”

“Yes Captain.” Tiffany replied as they began walking home. “Oh yeah, will Kai be coming to the Masquerade Ball with you?”

“Yeah!” Bora exclaimed enthusiastically, almost forgetting what just happened a moment ago. “He cleared most of his schedule just so he can come.”

“He’s so sweet. Kai would do pretty much anything for you.”

“But it’s a shame that you aren’t going. I know you don’t really like going to these events ever since that incident with your mother but don’t you think it’s time for you to enjoy yourself. You used to love these events and your mother wouldn’t want you to miss out on any of them. She would have wanted you to be happy and just to have fun.”

“Bora, I’ve already made up my mind.”

“Not even for Nichkhun?” Bora mentioned hoping it might change her mind but she only earned a look from Tiffany. “Fine I’ll stop but poor Nichkhun.”

Bora bolted away as Tiffany started to chase her. They were laughing as they ran, eventually reaching Tiffany’s house where Bora gave up. They both halted in front of the gate trying to catch their breaths.

“Come on. Aren’t you at least the slightest bit worried about leaving Nichkhun alone all by himself. Well I guess there would be plenty of girls willing to keep him company.” Bora continued hoping to make Tiffany change her mind by making her jealous.

“You’re not going to change my mind you know.”

“Fine but it is true. How is the progress with him anyways?”

“Victoria likes him.”

“What?!? Are you talking about F(x)’s Victoria who also goes to our school?”

Tiffany gave Bora a nod.

“You have a lot of explaining to do. Wait, we’ll talk when we’re inside. I’m thirsty.” Bora said, placing her arm around Tiffany for support as they began making their way into the house.

 

“Thank you for your hard work.” Said Taeyeon as she bowed to all the staff. She had just completed recording an interview with the rest of the SNSD members. SNSD had no more schedules for the rest of the day, so all the members were going to rest except Taeyeon. Although this wasn’t a part of her schedule, she wanted to do this as a favour for her father’s friend who needed some entertainment for their school’s Masquerade ball. She was just going to meet him today to discuss some of the details. Their manager was going to drop off the members at the dorm before driving Taeyeon to the school. The members all hopped off and started making their way inside. Everyone was pretty exhausted. Seohyun, who was the last to hop off, was a bit worried about Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon-ah, you should take it easy. You’re always working so hard and you hardly get any rest.”  Seohyun advised Taeyeon.

“I’ll be fine Seohyun. No need to worry okay. Just go in and take a rest.” Taeyeon replied with a smile to ease Seohyun’s worry. “I’ll rest on the way there okay.”

Seohyun only nodded and took a step back. She watched the vehicle drive off before making her way into the dorm. ‘What a troublesome leader.’

 

After discussing the details of the Masquerade ball, Taeyeon made her way out. On her way out she saw a group of girls surrounding someone in the hallway. It was obvious that the girl was getting bullied. Everyone else ignored them like nothing was going on. Some were crowding around and some were even taking pictures, which made Taeyeon disgusted that no one was helping the poor girl. One of the bullies punched the girl in the stomach, making her slump. Taeyeon quickly made her way through the crowd and put herself between the fight. Everyone was extremely shocked to see Taeyeon, especially the group of girls.

“Don’t you guys have something better to do?” Taeyeon scowled at the group of girls. They were too shocked an embarrassed to say or doing anything.

“Uhhh.” One of the girls started but nothing else came out.

“Just leave. Don’t ever bully anyone again and just hope I don’t see your faces again.”

The girls quickly dispersed along with the rest of the crowd. Taeyeon turn her attention to the girl who had a hand on her stomach. There were bruises all over her body. Some were faded which looked like this had happened before.  

“Are you okay?” Taeyeon questioned, worried about her condition. The girl lifted her head and met Taeyeon’s eyes. Taeyeon was shocked to see who the girl was. No words would come out of except one thing. “Stephanie?”

 


Hello everyone! :D I know it has been a while but i finally found some time to write this chapter for you guys.

Just wanted to let you guys know that i made some changes to Chapter 7. I only really changed the last few sentences so the change isn't that major.

Thank you for reading and please enjoy! :)