Guilty Pleasure - Chapter 1

Guilty Pleasure

He closed his eyes and stood under the running water for a moment longer.  Letting out a sigh, he finally opened his eyes.  He switched off the tap and stepped out of the shower.  He grabbed a white towel off the rack and wrapped it around his waist before grabbing another one to dry his hair.

When he stepped out into the living room, he found a figure sprawled out on the sofa, seemingly fast asleep yet still clutching onto the game controller in his hands.  He glanced at the tv and saw the words 'Game Over' flashing on screen.  He could not help but sigh.  This was why he hated brats.

He switched off the tv and headed for his room.  He opened the door and switched on the light to find a figure sleeping in his bed.  He was no longer surprised by this yet it annoyed him all the same.  He pulled back the covers in an attempt to disrupt the sleeping figure who simply curled up into a fetal position but refused to wake up.

"Hey!" he called out to the figure feigning sleep in his bed.  "Go sleep in your own bed."

The boy slowly opened his eyes and pouted.  "My bed's cold," he replied softly.  "It'll be warmer if we sleep together."

He looked at the boy who seemed determined not to leave the bed.  He sighed in defeat.  It was late and he was tired.  He was in no mood to argue any further.

"If you roll over to my side, I will kick you out" he warned sternly.

A bright smile beamed across the boy's lips as he once again was able to sleep in the older man's bed.

He waited for the boy to shift over to the other side, before he climbed into the single bed. 

What am I doing? he thought, wondering why he had given in to the boy so easily.


It was quiet when the boy opened his eyes and found himself staring into the older man's back.  There was no movement from the older man.  All he could hear was the older man's breathing.  It sounded like he was in a deep sleep.  The boy stayed still, lying on his side, not wanting to disturb the sleeping man.  He figured that the older man must have been really tired.  

Truth be told, he was always relieved to see the older man.  Each night he would wait eagerly for the older man's return.  He would stare at the clock and count the seconds until the front door opened.  Like a puppy waiting for it's owner to come home.  He did not understand why he was so concerned for this man.

There must be something wrong with me, he thought.

He recalled seeing blood and water running down the drain in the shower.  The sight of blood always scared him.  Or rather, he was scared for the older man.  Scared that the older man was wounded.  He made sure to check the older man's body and only breathed a sigh of relief when he was certain that the blood did not belong to the older man.

"I don't mind staying with you forever," he whispered to the sleeping figure.  "Can I stay with you forever?"

Upon hearing the boy's words, the older man opened his eyes but remained still.

They both knew the answer to that question.  The impossible cannot happen.