Chapter 8: Question

Beautiful Stranger

(Krystal's POV)

 

When we got home Jessica got out of the car pretty quickly and opened the door for me. It was sweet of her, but I didn't like being treated like this. I know I'm not in the best condition, but she made me feel like I was a sick person coming from the hospital or something. Maybe I did look like one, I mean there was a big nasty bruise right on my nose going halfway up my forehead. The worst part was since I did hurt my nose the bruising was going under my eyes. I don't want it to get any bigger, just what I needed. I literally look like I got beat up.

 

"Its okay, I can get down myself." I said with a slight smile to reassure her I was really okay.

 

"Sorry, you just seem fragile right now. I should make you some chicken soup so you wont get sick." Jessica told me.

 

"No, really I'm fine. I just want to be alone right now." I told her. If there was something she could do to get rid of my bruise I'd gladly take her offer, but she didn't. She nodded and we went inside. As expected, my dad wasn't home. I first walked to the kitchen to put some ice in a bag, so I could use it for the swelling to go down. I went up stairs, entered my room, dropped my things on the floor, and let myself fall on my bed. I gently put the little bag of ice on my face. I let out a big sigh, I was really exhausted. I took the piece of tissue that was in my nose. It was dry so I knew I has stopped bleeding. I got up, threw it away, and went back to bed.

 

I was staring at my ceiling for a while when someone suddenly knocked at my door. I didn't answer. I knew it was Jessica and I thought if I didn't answer she'd think I was sleeping and she'd go away. But she knocked again, so I just got up and opened the door.

 

"Yes?" I asked kind of in a cranky mood.

 

"Sorry, were you sleeping?" She asked.

 

"I was about to." I said.

 

"I'll just be quick. You're going to love me after this." She said. What in the world was she talking about?

 

"What?" I asked confused.

 

"Okay, so while you were sleeping I thought maybe I should help you out a bit." She said.

 

"Help me out?" I asked even more confused.

 

"I went through your backpack-" Before she even finished her sentence I interrupted her.

 

"You went through my backpack? Why?! Have you heard of something called privacy?" Why the hell was she going through my backpack?

 

"Of course I do. Just hold on, let me finish before you get mad," She said, I sighed and let her continue, "I thought you'd be too tired to do anything, so I took your things from your backpack and I asked if anyone had classes with you."

 

"Okay, and?" I said.

 

"There were a few. I asked them if they could do your homework for you and they said yes." She said with a smile. Someone doing my homework for me? No one had ever done that before. I'd always do it myself.

 

"They said yes?" I was in disbelief. Why would anyone ever want to do someone's homework? I mean its homework, it .

 

"Yup, aren't you happy?" She asked me.

 

"Uh...I guess?" I wasn't really sure how to answer that question. I mean it was nice of her to do that, but I found it a bit weird.

 

"Do I even get a thank you?" She asked.

 

"Oh uh thanks." I told her with an awkward smile.

 

"Of course, anything for my little sister. Oh and don't be weirded out when students come up to you. They're just giving you your homework back, okay?" She said with a big smile before leaving to her room. I closed the door still a bit confused. I sat on my bed and thought about it for a bit. I had what you call a 'duh' moment. Of course those students said yes. Jessica is popular and they probably just wanted to please her. The students at our school were like her own little slaves. It was a bit scary.

 

I hope they at least do it right. I was glad I didn't have to do any of my homework, but I still felt kinda guilty. Oh well, I'm sure I'll get over it. I changed into more comfortable clothes to sleep. It wasn't dark out yet, but I was in bed. The ice had melted so I threw it away. I was on my phone for some time and I must have lost track of time. Jessica knocked on my door and told me dad was home. She said dinner would be ready soon, but I said I wasn't hungry.

 

I really wasn't hungry. That was the last thing on my mind. Since I came here all I ever thought about was Taeyeon. She crowded my every thought. Thinking of her made me both happy and frustrated at the same time. I hated how I couldn't pin point the exact feeling she made me feel. I absolutely hated it. Maybe I just really want to be her friend, that's right her friend...just her friend.

 

If only I had Taeyeon's phone number, I could ask her what happened between Jessica and her. Its easier through text since you don't have that person right in front of you. But Jessica ripped her number right in my face. Even after the way Taeyeon spoke to me, I was still worried about her. Why was it so hard to stay mad at her? Then it hit me. Minwoo had my number, so I could just ask him for Taeyeon's.

 

I got my phone, looked for his number, and texted him. After I sent the message it only took a few seconds for him to answer. He just gave it to me without any questions. I smile grew on my face when I saw her number. Every time I wrote something I ended up deleting it. Nothing I wrote was good enough to send. I should stop thinking so much about it. I decided to make it simple, so I sent a hey. A simple 'hey' is okay, right?

 

I waited for a reply, but she wouldn't send anything. Not even two minutes had passed, but it felt like an eternity. It marked read though, why wasn't she answering me? I wanted to send another message, but I didn't want to sound pushy. I thought maybe this wasn't Taeyeon's number. I got a bit bummed out since I didn't get a reply, so I just put my phone down. I lay back down on my bed and waited for the sleepiness to come. Tomorrow will be a better day I told myself. Although I didn't believe it, it was nice to think positively. It didn't take long for me to feel sleepy and I dozed off to sleep.

 

(End of POV)

 

Krystal woke up with a bit of a headache. Her bruise was also hurting, so she took something for the pain. She didn't like the pills she was given. At some point it made her drowsy and somewhat dizzy, but they did take the pain away. She also didn't like the fact that it wasn't getting smaller. 'When will it go away?" she asked herself. She noticed that since she got the bruise it hurt a bit when she smiled big or laughed. She got ready and went downstairs. As she expected Jessica was already there.

 

"I'm ready, let's go." Krystal said.

 

"You have to eat something first." Jessica said.

 

"I'll just get something at school." She said.

 

"No you wont. You always say that and then you don't eat anything. We wont leave until you eat something." Jessica said determined. Krystal noticed she had turned into an over protective mother.

 

"Fine." Krystal said with a sigh. She quickly got a bowl, put some cereal in it, milk, and then began eating in a hurry.

 

"Eat slowly, you'll choke." Jessica said with a giggle.

 

"Okay, I'm done. Can we go now?" Krystal asked. Jessica nodded with a smile and wiped the milk Krystal had on her lip. They got in the car and were on their way. They arrived and the first thing Krystal did when she got off the car was look around to see if Taeyeon was around. She didn't see her though. They went inside and Jessica went her own way. Krystal got to her locker a few seconds before the bell rang. The students that had her homework had given it to her before they left to their class. She made sure to look it over. She then got her things and headed to class. Before she made it to her class the principle made an announcement.

 

"Can Kim Taeyeon and Jung Soojung come to my office." He said. She didn't like being called Soojung, but she thought that's how it must be written in her admission papers. She made her way to the principles office. She wondered why Taeyeon and her were being called. The secretary let her in and when Krystal opened the door Taeyeon was already there. She bowed to the principle before sitting down. She also avoided making eye contact with Taeyeon.

 

"Do you know why you're being called in?" He asked.

 

"No." They both said in sync.

 

"Both of you were supposed to stay after school yesterday to pick up the trash. It was required since you two got detentions, but you didn't." He told them. Krystal had totally forgot about it. She took a quick glance at Taeyeon and she didn't seem bothered by it. She was so calm.

 

"I'm sorry, I forgot." Krystal said apologizing.

 

"Forgetting is not an excuse. For all the time your sister has gone to this school she has never gotten in trouble. You should be following in her footsteps." He told Krystal. This is something no one with a sibling wants to hear. No one likes being compared to their siblings. It made Krystal a bit angry, but she tried to be respectful.

 

"I apologize. I'll do better." Krystal said bowing her head.

 

"She wasn't feeling well yesterday and had to go to the nurse's office. She was there all last period. That's why she forgot. She had to go home and rest." Taeyeon finally spoke up. This made Krystal turn over to her.

 

"Is this true?" He asked Krystal.

 

"Yes, i-it is." She said.

 

"You should have said something. I can excuse you then. Why didn't you come Taeyeon?" He asked turning his attention over to her.

 

"Things came up and I had to leave right after school, but I can do the clean up today if you'd like." Taeyeon calmly said.

 

"Okay then its settled. You will do the clean up today. You can both go to class now." He said.

 

"I'll do it with her." It slipped from Krystal's mouth.

 

"No, I can do it myself." Taeyeon said.

 

"It would take too long if she did it on her own. Soojung will help you then." He said. Before Taeyeon could say anything else, he told them to go to class. They walked out. As they were parting ways Krystal caught up to her.

 

"Are you okay?" Krystal asked.

 

"......" Taeyeon didn't reply.

 

"Is something wrong?" Krystal asked her. Taeyeon stopped and turned around to face her. They both just stopped and looked at each other. It seemed like Taeyeon was thinking about what to say.

 

"Why didn't you just stay quiet when he said he excused you from doing the clean up?" Taeyeon finally spoke.

 

"I felt bad that you were going to have to do it on your own." Krystal answered.

 

"I can handle it on my own." Taeyeon said with a serious tone. Krystal noticed Taeyeon's hands were a jittery. She wondered what was wrong.

 

"Well I already said I was going to help, so I am." Krystal said. She left to her class before Taeyeon could say anything else. She was surprised at herself she had built up the courage to say that. When she was around Taeyeon it made her feel bold.

 

Like always her classes went by. She tried to ignore the stares she was getting, so the whole time she was in her classes she would either be looking at the teacher or her paper. The only class she felt somewhat comfortable was her last class. The rest gave her anxiety and she didn't like being in there. Being home schooled had crossed her mind a few times, but it would also since shed be stuck at home the whole time.

 

Lunch came and she walked to the cafeteria by herself. She got her food and was deciding where to sit. She wasn't thinking of sitting next to anyone, so she was looking for an empty table. When she was able to find one she walked to it and sat down. After a few minutes of being there some random students came and sat with her. It startled her a bit. She had no idea who they were. They looked at her before saying anything.

 

"Is it true?" One of the girls asked.

 

"What?" Krystal asked in confusion.

 

"Are you really Jessica's sister?" Someone else asked.

 

"Yes, I am." It hurt Krystal that they even had to ask that question. Now she was sure Jessica never mentioned her at all.

 

"Then why do you talk to Taeyeon?" They asked.

 

"What do you mean?" Krystal asked.

 

"Well since your Jessica's sister why would you talk to Taeyeon?" They asked. Krystal wasn't sure if they were on Jessica's side or Taeyeon's side.

 

"It just happened. My sister and I aren't close, so we don't really talk." Krystal said honestly.

 

"And your sister lets you talk to Taeyeon?" Someone else asked. Krystal didn't want to keep answering their questions. They were being nosy and it bothered her, so it she decided to ask the questions she was curious about.

 

"Why don't my sister and Taeyeon talk?" Krystal asked. She hoped she'd get an answer.

 

"Taeyeon moved here her freshman year and she's a junior now, so it hasn't been too long since she came to this school. But story goes they used to be best friends. So they used to talk. A bit before you got here they suddenly stopped talking and they don't even look at each other now. There's a few rumors going around." One of the girls said.

 

"What kind of rumors?" Krystal asked.

 

"Things like Jessica threatened Taeyeon because she was taking her popularity, or that Taeyeon couldn't handle all the attention, or Jessica got tired of Taeyeon, or that Taeyeon went kinda crazy because of all the attention. There's a few, but no one really knows which one is true. Everyone believes something different." She said. It made Krystal uncomfortable and mad how much of this they knew and what was said about Jessica and Taeyeon. They did give her answers, but she didn't know which one was the truth.

 

"Umm I have to go." Krystal said. She left in a hurry before they could say anything else. She left the cafeteria and walked around the halls.

 

"Hey, are you okay?" Someone behind her said. She turned around and saw it was L.

 

"Yeah I'm fine." She said.

 

"Your bruise looks really bad. Does it hurt a lot?" He asked.

 

"At certain times it does. Can I ask you something?"

 

"Sure." He said.

 

"Why doesn't my sister talk to Taeyeon?" Krystal asked him.

 

"I saw you talking to those girls and I'll probably tell you the same thing." He said.

 

"But you said you were good at observing people I was sure you noticed something else." She was disappointed he didn't know anything else.

 

"I'm sorry I don't know what else to tell you." He said. The bell rung and she began walking to her fifth period class. She was sure if she asked someone else they would give her the same answer. Then someone in particular popped into her head...Kevin. He seemed to be close to Taeyeon. Maybe he knew something no one else did.

 

Now all she could think about was talking to Kevin. She knew she shouldn't get her hopes up, but she just wanted to know the truth. Why did it tick off Jessica so much when she talked to Taeyeon? There were a lot more things she had questions for, but she could start with this one. She finally made it to her last period. She made sure she got there before her sister. She looked around to see where Kevin was sitting. Once she found him she walked straight over.

 

"Hey Kevin." Krystal said with a smile.

 

"Krystal, what's up." He said returning a smile.

 

"There's something I need to ask you." She said.

 

"Okay, what?" He said.

 

"There is something I've been curious about and no one seems to know, so I thought I should ask you...why doesn't my sister talk to Taeyeon?" Krystal asked.

 

"I was wondering when you were going to ask that." He said.

 

"You did?" She asked surprised.

 

"After all you are Jessica's sister and you look like a very curious person. I can't really tell you much. All I know is Taeyeon used to be friends with Jessica and something happened, which made them stop talking to each other. Taeyeon didn't mention anything about it, so I didn't ask. Maybe you should ask your sister?" He said looking over Krystal's shoulder. She turned around and saw it was Jessica standing there. Krystal quickly said bye to Kevin and followed her sister to their table. It was just Jessica and her sitting at the table. Not long after the rest of the students came in. Jessica told her friends to sit somewhere else because she wanted to spend some quality time with her sister. This frightened Krystal. She was sure Jessica was going to scold her.

 

"What do you need to ask me?" Jessica asked with a serious tone.

 

"N-Nothing..." Krystal answered.

 

"I heard Kevin say you should ask me, so go ahead." Jessica insisted. The tone of her voice brought shivers up her spine. She didn't even have to look at her to know Jessica was mad.

 

"I'd rather not ask here." Krystal said.

 

"Then let's go somewhere else." Jessica said standing up. Krystal had no choice but to follow. They stepped outside of the library. Jessica made sure the doors were closed. She waited for Krystal to ask the question.

 

"I've been wanting to know the answer to this question since I got here. Please don't get mad." She said.

 

"Just ask it." Jessica knew Krystal was stalling. She wanted her to get right to the point.

 

"Why don't you talk to Taeyeon?" Krystal finally asked her.

 

"With this again? I told you we just don't." Jessica answered.

 

"Well I don't believe you. I heard some of the rumors that people say. Can't you just tell me why?" Krystal said.

 

"It's best if you just let it go. You shouldn't believe what people say about me. I will tell you it wasn't my fault we don't talk. Taeyeon is not a good person and I want you to stay away from her." Jessica said. 

 

"But-" Krystal was cut off.

"No buts, I'm serious stay away from her. I heard what happened today and you wont have to do the clean up. I already have someone who can do that for you." She said. Krystal knew she was going to find out, but she still wanted to do it with Taeyeon.

 

"Can't you let me do it? I'd rather do that than stay home for the rest of the day. I wont speak to her, please?" Krystal begged. Even though she said she wouldn't talk to Taeyeon, that's exactly what she was going to do.

 

"Fine, but if she speaks to you just ignore her, okay?" Jessica said. Krystal agreed and they went inside. Now she just had to wait for the class to end. She was going to ask Taeyeon the same question she asked Jessica. She was worried about what Taeyeon might say, that's if she even answers the question.

 

(Krystal's POV)

 

My sister blames Taeyeon for why they don't talk anymore, but what if Taeyeon blames Jessica? Who am I supposed to believe? Jessica is my sister, but its hard to believe what she says. Taeyeon is a stranger and I don't know if I should believe anything she says either. I think I might make this more complicated than it already is. Whatever happened between them couldn't have been that bad...right?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note

Question: Would you believe someone who is family or a stranger? 

Hello there my beautiful readers. I know it isn't Christmas anymore, but this is my present to you, enjoy. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday. I read the comments from the previous chapters and I have to say you guys are creative. Also thanks for the sweet comments, I'm really grateful you like my story:). Till next time, stay tuned. Annyeong~