Chapter 4: Why Do I Care?

Beautiful Stranger

As her classes went by she hadn't seen Jessica or Taeyeon. She was sure she'd see them during lunch but neither of them were anywhere. Her last class would come soon and she was sure she'd see them there.

 

She was on her way to the library for her last period when she saw L. She walked up to him.

 

"Hey L." Krystal said.

 

"Hey." He said.

 

"Have you seen my sister?"

 

"I saw her talking to someone." He said. 

 

"Who?"

 

"I think his name's Park Min Woo." 

 

"Oh." Was all Krystal could say. 

 

"Their probably headed to the library too." He said. She nodded.

 

(Krystal's POV)

 

I sat down and took the things I would need from my backpack. I set them on the table but I didn't start any of my work. I was too busy thinking about something. 

 

I just realized the guy I had seen Jessica talking to was the same guy who talked to Taeyeon. The way I see it. The Min Woo guy seems interested in Taeyeon, but why would Jessica be talking to him. Since Taeyeon and Jessica aren't friends, wouldn't this look bad?

 

I mean they were just talking but other people can turn it only something ugly. Wait a minute...I'm the one making assumptions, I really need to stop thinking too much about this.

 

"Hello, anyone home?" Someone asked me waving their hand in front of my face.

 

"Huh?" I snapped out of it.

 

"What's got you so deep into thought?" Kevin asked me.

 

"Umm nothing. I was just...deciding what I should start on first." I lied.

 

"I didn't see you at the party last night." He said changing the subject. I was sure he would keep asking questions about what I was thinking about. I guess I was wrong.

 

"I went, but I left early."

 

"How come? Did you not like it?" He asked.

 

"No it was nothing like that. I just didn't feel very good." The truth is your friend ditched me and I can't get over it.

 

"You didn't take anything at the party right." 

 

"No I didn't." I immediately said.

 

"Then you were probably just nervous."

 

"Yeah.....so where's Taeyeon?" The question slipped from my mouth, crap. I'm supposed to be mad at her and I'm suddenly asking for her. I'm confused.

 

"She'll be here." He said.

 

"Right."

 

"Well I better sit somewhere else."

 

"Why?"

 

"Jessica will be sitting with you right."

 

"I think so."

 

"Then I should be sitting somewhere else."

 

"But I don't mind you being here. You don't have to leave just because Jessica is sitting here." He didn't have to leave.

 

"Then come sit with us." I liked his suggestion. I was about ready to gather my things and move but someone stopped me.

 

"Where are you going?" Jessica asked me.

 

"I-I was just uh..." For some reason I was stuttering and I couldn't finish my sentence. I think it was that scary expression on her face.

 

"Were you going to sit somewhere else?" She asked me. What should say?

 

"Uh..." I couldn't think of what to say. 

 

"Can I help you with something Kevin?" Jessica turned to Kevin. She was not being very nice. She didn't have to talk to him that way.

 

"I was just leaving." He sat down at another table. I sat back down and Jessica sat next to me.

 

"Is there something you want to say to me?" She asked me. There were a lot of the things I wanted to tell her, but they weren't all very nice.

 

"No." Definitely Yes.

 

"Then why aren't you looking at me? If you have something to say, say it." She was really scary now. If looks could kill, I'd for sure be dead right now. 

 

I didn't say anything. Before the bell rung for class to start, Taeyeon came in with Min Woo. She had a smile on her face like if nothing was wrong. She's really good at hiding things. I thought Jessica was talking to him. Does Taeyeon know their talking? If she does, is she okay with it? I don't even know if Min Woo and Taeyeon are even dating.

 

When Kevin asked me to sit with him and his friends I didn't think twice and accepted his offer. Taeyeon would have been sitting there too. I'm mad yet I can't stay away from her. What's going on?

 

Everyone was doing something. I wanted to ask Jessica how she knew Min Woo but knowing the mood she was in, I knew better. 

 

I don't know what was wrong with me. My eyes kept shifting towards Taeyeon. I couldn't help it. I tried to focus on my work but I just couldn't. Maybe if I talked to Jessica I'd stop looking. I knew she was mad, I have no idea why, but at least I'd be distracted. Wait...now that I think of it, that's not such a good idea. I don't want to die today.

 

I swear it felt like that period would never end. It was true torture. I was really getting fed up with Jessica's mood swings or whatever the hell they were, but I was too afraid to say anything. The bell finally rang and everyone gathered their things and left.

 

"I'll be in the car." Jessica told me.

 

"Okay." I was taking too long to put my things away. I was in too much of a hurry that I bumped over my pencil pouch. As I was watching it fall I was praying that all my things wouldn't fall out, but they did. Just great, I have to pick them up now.

 

"Let me help you." Someone said. Immediately when I heard that voice, my body tensed up. God what was wrong with me.

 

"O-Okay." I should be giving her the silent treatment for ditching me but her voice was so soothing. She crouched to my level and helped me pick up my things. Our hands touched and I instantly retreated it. Why did she make me so nervous? It was like I had no control over what I was feeling. I didn't even understand what I was feeling.

 

"I think we got them all." She said looking around the floor.

 

"Thanks." I tried to say in a cold tone but it didn't exactly come out that way.

 

"No worries." She smiled at me.

 

"I wanted to ask you something." I finally said.

 

"Ask me what?"

 

"Are you okay?" I asked. The real question I should be asking is why in the world did you ditche me. I sat there waiting for you like an idiot, and I'm asking you if your okay? Unbelievable. 

 

"Of course I am."

 

"Are you sure?"

 

"Yeah I am. You should get going, your sister is waiting." She said.

 

"You're right." I'm an idiot, seriously. It was a miracle I was answering correctly and not saying something stupid, considering how nervous I was.

 

"Before you go. I wanted to ask how you're doing with your classes." Please brain think. My mind went blank. She's concerned, why? All she's doing is talking and I can't think properly.

 

"I'm doing okay." I managed to say.

 

"Well if you're struggling with something, maybe I could be your tutor." My tutor?

 

"You, tutor me?"

 

"Yeah, we could go to your house." Taeyeon in my house? 

 

"Umm sure." 

 

"Great, just let me know what you need help with. Here's my number." She gave it to me in a peace of paper. Our hands touched once again and that same feeling shot throughout my whole body. I've never felt anything like this before. She said goodbye and left.

 

I put it in my pocket and finished putting my things in my backpack. I went to the car and Jessica said something to me but I wasn't paying attention so I didn't catch what she said. I wasn't even mad at Taeyeon anymore. 

 

"Are you going to stay in here or what?"

 

"What?" I said comming back from dream land. 

 

"Are you going to stay in the car?" Jessica asked. 

 

"Were home?"

 

"Yeah we are."

 

"Geez, why are you so angry?" I said under my breath so she wouldn't hear me.

 

"What?"

 

"I didn't say anything." I gave her some attitude. We didn't talk much after that. 

 

Days went by and Jessica still had her mood swings. She'd be fine and then you couldn't even talk to her because she'd snap at you. I don't know how much more of this I can take. 

 

I still hadn't told Taeyeon I needed her help. I did need it but for some reason I was hesitant to ask. I know she's just tutoring me but I was nervous and I didn't know if Jessica would be okay with it. 

 

I also noticed I keep getting stared at at shool or should I say glared at. I have no idea why but it's getting really annoying. I don't like it when people stare. I try to ignore it but sometimes it hard to.

 

When I lived in the US people didn't stare this much. But at least my Korean is getting better. It's not perfect but it's not bad. Maybe Taeyeon can help me. I should just go up to her and ask. How hard can it be, right? Or I can just text her.

 

It was a Saturday so I wasn't doing anything. I thought maybe this would be a good time to ask Taeyeon. I was looking for the peace of paper where her number was written on. I know I should've put it in my phone the day she gave it to me but I didn't. 

 

I stopped to think where I put it, but I don't remember taking it out of my pocket. I got up and looked for the pants I was wearing that day. I looked in all the pockets and it wasn't in there. How can I be so stupid. It probably fell out. I searched through my room to see if I might dropped somewhere in my room, but it was nowhere to be found. I guess I'll have to wait till Monday. 

 

I was on the floor mad at myself for losing it when someone knocked on my door. I got up and walked to the door.

 

"Is this yours?" She asked holding it up.

 

"Where did you find it?" I asked.

 

"In the car."

 

"I thought I lost it." I was about to take it from her hand but she didn't let me.

 

"Why do you have Taeyeon's number?" She asked me. How did she know it was hers?

 

"She gave it to me."

 

"Why?"

 

"She just did." I don't think now is a good time to tell her why.

 

"Why do you need her number?"

 

"What do you care?"

 

"I don't want you talking to her."

 

"You have no right to tell me who I can and can't talk to. I have no idea what's your problem with her but that's not my problem. Now give it to me." I said.

 

"No."

 

"You being mad all the time is not my fault. Don't make me miserable just because you are." I could tell I made her even more angry so she ripped the paper apart. I don't know why I felt so hurt. It's just a number...Taeyeon's number.

 

"Stay away from her." She told me before leaving to her room. What's so wrong about talking to Taeyeon? This probably has to do with Min Woo. If she likes him, then why is she taking her anger out on me. This is between Taeyeon and her, not me. I can talk to whoever I want.

 

Monday finally came. Usually Monday is such a drag but I had something to look forward to today. I still wasn't talking to Jessica. I was done being snapped at. 

 

The only time I was with Jessica was during the car ride or in my last class, but there were times where she sat with her friends instead of me Even at home I didn't see her much because she would always be in her room. So all I had to endure was the car ride. 

 

We made it to school and I did my usual routine. I went to my locker and then I would go to class. This time it wasn't so pleasant. Why? Because all I could see was Taeyeon making out with Min Woo. Like seriously get a room. I'm guessing their dating now. Now I had nothing to look forward to. What I way to ruin my day.

 

That's all everyone talked about today. Taeyeon and Min Woo, Taeyeon and Min Woo. Like yeah their dating, so what? It was getting really annoying. It was like they were some type of celebrities or something. Some were sad because Taeyeon was in a relationship and others were happy for her. I guess this is how a popular person's life is like.

 

I was bothered by it. Not ready sure why. I just didn't like it or should I say I didn't like them together. I keep telling myself I don't care, but why does a part of me feel like it's sad? I must be getting sick. Yeah, that's probably it.

 

Why should I even care? I don't even know her. She's a complete stranger to me. All I know is her name and that's pretty much it. It's probably all my stress that's getting to me. I just need to relax and focus on other things. Getting her number and seeing her was what I was looking forward too, but who was I kidding? I wouldn't have had the guts to ask for it anyway.

 

I decided to sit alone during my last period. I couldn't be with Jessica because she was always in a bad mood and I didn't want to sit with with Kevin because Taeyeon and Min Woo would be there. So I thought it would be easier to sit alone. Plus I wouldn't get distracted either. Or at least that's what I thought. 

 

Of course I'm always wrong. Once I start thinking about something I can't seem to concentrate on other things. The same question kept popping into my head. Why do I care? I shouldn't, by why do I? 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question: Why are you reading my story/stories?

 

Hello my beautiful readers. I finally updated. I hope you enjoy the chapter. It's not too boring right? Today with a new update comes a new edit. I know I don't update frequently but I want to thank those of you who have put up with it. 

 

Catch me if you can...(love this song)