Chapter 10: Distance

Beautiful Stranger

(Still Krystal's POV)

 

I don't think Jessica saw Taeyeon with me since she didn't ask about her or anything. I knew Taeyeon wouldn't talk to me anymore. What made it even more sad was the fact that I didn't even say goodbye to her. I was mad, but not at Taeyeon...I was mad at Jessica. All this was because of her.

 

It may sound like a dumb thing to be mad about, but Taeyeon was the closest thing I had to a friend. Now I'm back to zero. It also made me think that if Taeyeon really wanted to be my friend then she wouldn't have listened to what Jessica told her, right? It didn't matter anyway; I should just forget about it.

 

Weeks passed without talking to Taeyeon and the weather was getting colder. By this time, I didn't bother making any friends. I thought that just focusing on school would keep me busy. Jessica would be busy with her things, but there were a few times where she would ask me to hang out with her. I'd decline the offer though; I didn't want to deal with awkwardness and I didn't have anything to talk about with her anyway. My birthday passed a few days ago and Jessica, my dad, and I just made a little dinner at home and that was it. I was used to not making my birthday a big deal. My mom even sent a card saying happy birthday, but that's all it said. I was expecting more, but who am I kidding? I knew she wouldn't ask how I was doing.

 

The good thing was that my bruise was finally gone. Since my dad would usually come home late, by the time he took the chance to see if I was okay, my bruise was better. He knew what had happened, but since I was always stuck in my room he wasn't able to see how bad my injury was. Thanks to what Taeyeon had given me the last time we talked really helped. I also didn't ask Jessica why she had slapped Taeyeon since I believed what Taeyeon had told me. My questions had been answered, so I had nothing else to ask.

 

My everyday schedule was usually the same. I'd get up for school, get through my classes, stay after school to finish work, and then I'd go home. I didn't do much during the weekends. So basically every day was boring for me. In school, Taeyeon acted the same. The only difference was she acted like she didn't know me. She wouldn't even say hi to me anymore, so during school, I'd try to avoid her as much as I could. The only person I still talked to once in a while was Kevin. I'd see L around, but we'd just say hi to each other. He always made things awkward for some reason.

 

Taeyeon and I didn't even talk for that long and I got attached really easily. It made me a bit angry that Taeyeon could just move on so easily and here I was still trying to get over it. It was like I was trying to get over a relationship that never even happened. Also by this time I had gotten used to my surroundings. I didn't get lost in school anymore and the distance from my house to the school wasn't very far either, so I was able to walk to school and back. Since I walked to school this meant I didn't need Jessica to drive me anymore. The downside was that this meant Jessica and I weren't making any progress in getting closer to each other.

 

(End of POV)

 

Today was another day of the same routine for her. Krystal was eating breakfast and browsing through her phone. Jessica came down soon after.

 

"Hey." Jessica said. They still weren't close to each other, but Jessica would still talk to Krystal even if it was a simple hey every day.

 

"Good morning." Krystal replied.

 

"Are you walking to school today again?" Jessica asked.

 

"Yup, I should probably get going. I don't want to be late." Krystal said quickly finishing her breakfast.

 

"Its cloudy outside, I think it's supposed to rain today. Why don't you let me drive you?" Jessica suggested. She didn't want Krystal to get sick.

 

"I'll be fine. I have my coat." Krystal replied.

 

"Please, just this once." Jessica insisted.

 

"Umm okay then." Krystal gave in. She could tell Jessica sounded worried. Once Jessica was finished eating they were on their way.

 

"Halloween is in a few days." Jessica said while driving.

 

"It is. Hopefully, it won't rain on that day. Kids are going to be bummed if it does." Krystal replied.

 

"There's going to be a Halloween party, you should come." Jessica suggested.

 

"I'll think about it. I didn't have so much fun the first time." Krystal said remembering what happened.

 

"Okay, just let me know." Jessica said and Krystal nodded. They arrived to school and Krystal and Jessica went their separate ways. As always Krystal would go straight to her locker first. This time, she froze before arriving to her locker. Taeyeon was there with her boyfriend. Since Krystal and Taeyeon stopped talking, Krystal was able to avoid her every time she would go to her locker, but not today. Krystal didn't know what to do.

 

She needed books from her locker. If she didn't get them she would get in trouble by the teacher in class. Krystal it up and tried calmly walking to her locker. On the outside, it looked like she was fine, but on the inside, she was dying of nervousness. She hated the fact that she couldn't help but feel this way. She made it and began to open it. Taeyeon and Minwoo were minding their business talking. Krystal tried to quickly grab what she needed, but one book slipped from her hand and fell to the floor. To make things worse, it fell right next to Taeyeon's foot. She didn't seem to notice. Krystal then bent down and grabbed it.

 

Krystal acted like nothing had happened and closed her locker. Then she was off to class. During class, she would still have some people look at her, but no one would whisper about her anymore. She thought maybe it was because people noticed she wasn't talking with Taeyeon anymore. Krystal found it annoying and hated how people didn't mind their own business.

 

She used to like going to her last period, but now she just found it awkward. She tried so hard to ignore Taeyeon, but there were times where her eyes would wander and she would end up looking at Taeyeon. Krystal had no idea why she was so drawn to Taeyeon.

 

Like everyday other day, her classes went by, and then came her last period which she had to endure. She sat at her own table and began doing her work. She heard someone walking her way, so she looked up and it turned out to be Kevin. Jessica was sitting not too far from her, but all she did was look and then she turned away. Krystal thought she would get up and tell Kevin to leave, but she didn't. She found it a bit odd.

 

"You don't seem to be in a good mood today." Kevin said sitting next to her.

 

"Homework does that to you." Krystal tried to joke, so he wouldn't ask her why.

 

"Why are you always sitting alone?" Kevin asked.

 

"It's easier for me concentrate this way. Plus, I find my sister's friends kind of annoying." Krystal said.

 

"I've also noticed you aren't talking with Taeyeon. Why?" He asked. Krystal was hoping he wouldn't ask that and now that he did, she didn't know how to answer it.

 

"Uh...I've been too busy with things." Krystal lied. She didn't know what else to say.

 

"I knew this would happen. Taeyeon doesn't say much about herself, and then when people start to get too curious about her she starts to keep her distance. That's why she's not close with anyone." Kevin said.

 

"Aren't you close with her?" Krystal asked him. He seemed to know how she was, so she thought they must be close.

 

"Nope, I just look like I am because I never ask questions I know I won't get answers to. It's also not hard to notice when someone doesn't say much about themselves." He said.

 

"Remember when you said she only shows what people want to see?" Krystal asked.

 

"Yeah, what about it?" He said.

 

"What did you mean?" She asked.

 

"Don't we all show what people want to see or how we want to be viewed? No one really shows who they are and the people who do are only showing what they think others will accept. Everyone hides a part of themselves others don't want to see or know about." Kevin's voice turned to a serious tone.

 

"........." Krystal wasn't sure how to respond.

 

"Haha I'm just joking with you. You are very gullible. Don't take things people say so seriously." Kevin said laughing at Krystal.

 

"Yeah, I shouldn't." She laughed it off, but she thought of what he said and she found there was truth to it.

 

"I'm relieved you aren't talking to Taeyeon anymore." He said. This caught her off guard. 'Why would he say that?' she thought.

 

"Why?" She asked.

 

"Things don't always end well with certain people she meets. Anyway, see you around." He said with a smile before leaving. This made her think about how things ended with Jessica and Taeyeon. She thought maybe it was Taeyeon's fault that they aren't friends anymore. 'Maybe it's better we're keeping a distance with each other...maybe Jessica was right' Krystal thought to herself.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Question: Who's fault do you think it is? Taeyeon, Jessica, or someone else?

Author's Note:

Hello, my beautiful readers, I'm finally back with another update. I tried making it a long chapter. Anyway, sorry for taking so long. Hopefully, you guys are liking the story so far. Annyeong and see you next time~