Chapter 13: Complicated

Beautiful Stranger

 

The whole day Krystal stayed in her room. She had taken something for the hangover she had, but she still felt crappy. She had gotten hungry, but as she was going down the stairs she saw Jessica and went back to her room. Krystal new it was a childish move to avoid Jessica, but she was hurt. She thought Jessica and Taeyeon had told her the truth, but they just kept lying. She understood why they kept that a secret, but it angered her because it felt like they didn’t trust her.

 

“Kevin was right, things don’t end well with Taeyeon.” She muttered to herself. When their dad got home he made dinner, but Krystal wouldn’t come down.

 

"Jessica, can you go get your sister?" He asked her.

 

"She's not feeling well." Jessica lied.

 

"What's wrong?" He asked her.

 

"Oh, you know, girl stuff." Jessica was hoping he would stop asking about Krystal.

 

"Oh, okay." He said kind of awkward. After they were done eating dinner, their father left some food outside of Krystal's door and told her that if she got hungry, it would be outside her door. Her father was always kind to her and she hated not being able to have a conversation with him, but then again, he was never really home. When he would be home, he’d always be busy. The times they would have dinner together, Krystal never knew what to talk about. Her father would ask her questions, she would answer it, but then it would go silent. She wasn’t very good and making conversation.

 

It was finally morning and Krystal's alarm for school went off. She felt really weak and her head was pounding again. She thought it was because she hadn't eaten all day yesterday and she wasn’t hydrated either. She got up and took a shower. After her shower, she felt a bit better. She grabbed her things and proceeded to go downstairs. As she entered the kitchen she looked up and made eye contact with Jessica, but quickly looked away and got something to eat.

 

“Are you going to give me the silent treatment forever?” Jessica asked.

 

“…..”Krystal didn't respond.

 

“Look I know you’re mad, but you can’t ignore me forever.” Jessica said. Krystal just ate her breakfast without answering Jessica. When she was done, she put on her backpack and her coat and she was out the door. Jessica quickly grabbed her things and chased after Krystal.

 

“Where are you going?” Jessica asked. Once again Krystal didn’t respond. Jessica had had enough and she grabbed Krystal by the arm before she could take one more step. She turned her around.

 

“LISTEN TO ME!!!” Jessica yelled at her. Krystal was taken back and she became afraid of her. Seeing Jessica this angry scared Krystal.

 

“I understand you’re mad at me and you should be, I don’t blame you, but you need to stop acting like a kid and listen to me or at least talk to me.” Jessica explained in a serious tone.

 

“Why?! So, you could lie to me again. You kept lying to me over and over. Taeyeon did too. How can I believe anything you say anymore? And talk to you? Seriously?! What do want me to say? That it’s fine that you lied to me and I forgive you and that everything is okay. Well, guess what, it isn’t.” Krystal fought back. Tears began to well up in her eyes.

 

“I lied to you because I was scared.” Jessica told her.

 

“I’m your sister, I would never judge you. I know we don’t know each other very well and we’re basically strangers, but I’m still your sister. I don’t care who you like; all I wanted was to form a relationship with you. Ever since I got here I’ve felt so lonely. Even when I’m home with you and dad, I feel like I have no one. When we started talking more I thought we were making progress, but now I know you don’t trust me.” Krystal began to pour her feelings out. She had kept so much in and thought she should just tell Jessica how she felt.

 

“I do trust you. I want to form a relationship with you too, believe me, I do. You’re my little sister. I really wanted to tell you, but I couldn’t.” Jessica said.

 

“Why couldn’t you then?” Krystal asked.

 

“Because she wouldn’t let me.” Jessica finally confessed.

 

“Who…Taeyeon?”Krystal asked.

 

“Yes, Taeyeon. I had told her our mother was sending you here and at first, she was okay with it, but then she began to get worried because she was afraid our secret would get out.” Jessica said.

 

“So Taeyeon was the one who didn’t want me to know?” Krystal asked.

 

“Yes. I tried over and over to convince her, but she kept saying no. Taeyeon can be sort of controlling.”Jessica said.

 

“But she didn’t seem that way when I met her. It seemed like she made an effort to know me. She was really nice to me when I first got here.” Krystal explained.

 

“People aren’t always what they seem.” Jessica stated. ‘Kevin seems to think that way too’ Krystal thought to herself.

 

“I guess you’re right.” She said. To Krystal, Taeyeon didn’t seem that kind of person, but then again, it’s not like she actually knew her. Taeyeon was basically a stranger to her. She was trying to put the pieces together to make sense of everything Jessica was telling her and she was starting to think that maybe that’s why Taeyeon was acting odd at times.

 

“I’m telling you the truth. Any questions you have just ask me and I’ll answer it. I don’t want any secrets between us anymore.” Jessica said.

 

“Anything?”Krystal asked.

 

“Anything.”Jessica reassured her.

 

“…. So just to make things clear…. you and Taeyeon dated right.” Krystal hesitated to ask. To Krystal, it was kind of awkward asking about her relationship and it was even more awkward since it was with another girl.

 

“Yes.”Jessica said.

 

“Okay…. are you two still dating?” Krystal asked. She wasn’t sure what answer she wanted to hear. She’d be happy for Jessica if they were still together since it was her sister, but part of her felt something else. She wasn’t sure if it jealousy or some other feeling.

 

“I broke up with her a few days before you got to Korea.” Jessica said.

 

“But I was told you two didn’t hang out with each other anymore, even before I got here.” Krystal asked confused. People were saying they stopped being friends for some time.

 

“We didn’t. When we started dating, Taeyeon thought it would be a good idea if we stopped hanging out together at school. So basically, we were dating in secret and at school, we wouldn’t even talk or look at each other. She was afraid we would accidentally expose our relationship, so we would only see each other out of school. Of course, in secret.” Jessica explained. To Krystal, this seemed really complicated, but at the same time sad. ‘Taeyeon was really paranoid if they had to do this and only see each other in secret.’ Krystal thought to herself.

 

“What about Min-“ Krystal was about to ask another question, but she was cut off by Jessica before she could say anything.

 

“How about we continue the questions after school, we’re going got be late.” Jessica said.

 

“Sure.”Krystal said. She had been so immersed in the conversation that she forgot they had school. They got into Jessica’s car and they were on their way to school. Krystal knew she would be thinking about the things they talked about. She still had some questions and one of them was if whether or not she would get an explanation from Taeyeon. Jessica had already told her most of it, but Krystal wanted to make sure of it herself and hear it from Taeyeon. The only problem was how was she going to approach Taeyeon. They made it to school and Krystal made her way to her locker.

 

“Hey, you look sort of better today.” Someone commented.

 

“……” Krystal didn’t respond.

 

“Krystal?”They asked. The person tapped her shoulder to get her attention.

 

“Huh? Oh, hey L.” She said snapping out of her daydream. She was too zoned out to realize someone was talking to her.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.” She responded.

 

“About?”He asked.

 

“Things.” She responded.

 

“Like?” He kept insisting.

 

“Well, aren’t you nosy.” She said with a little laugh.

 

“Haha sorry.” He said.

 

“It’s okay.” She said.

 

“I know things got awkward at the party, but I want to ask you something.” L said.

 

“About the party, don’t worry about it. Let’s just act like it didn’t happen. And what do you need to ask me?” She said.

 

“Do you want to go on a date with me?” He asked.

 

“Umm…look, you’re sweet, but-” Krystal was cut off.

 

“I know you just said to forget about what happened, but you don’t have to answer right now, just please think about it.” He said before leaving.He left before she could say anything else. She already knew what her answer was going to be, but she was trying to think of a nice way to let him down. She sighed and as she was going to turn back to her locker to close it, she noticed Taeyeon walking her way. She was facing her locker but froze. She didn’t close her locker and waited for Taeyeon to get to her locker next to hers. Krystal slightly looked to her left and noticed Taeyeon had a blank expression. She thought this was her chance to ask her if they could talk, but she was hesitant. She was hoping maybe Taeyeon would ask her something first, but she didn’t. Taeyeon grabbed her things from her locker, then closed it, and she was on her way to her class. Krystal sighed again and made her way to class.

 

She tried to pay attention in her classes, so she wouldn't fall behind. She was beginning to get the hang of her classes, so she was able to understand them better. She would also study Korean when she had the chance. It gave her some relief knowing there were a few things getting easier. Then she started thinking about the time Taeyeon offered to tutor her. A smile began to form on her face. She remembered the sweet smile Taeyeon would give her, how nice she was to her, but then she remembered the bad things about her. Then her smile faded. She wanted so badly to understand Taeyeon, to get to know her. Krystal was hoping that talking to her would sort things out and that she’d be her sweet and polite self again. Well, that’s the side she kind of knew.

 

People still stared at her, but Krystal realized this time it seemed like they were gossiping about her. They would talk to each other and then look at her. She had no idea why they were talking about her, but she tried to ignore it. It was finally lunch and she was looking for a table to sit.

 

“Where are we sitting?” A familiar voice said.

 

“Huh?”Krystal said looking over to Jessica.

 

“Let’s sit over there.” She said.

 

“Uh okay.” Krystal said agreeing.

 

(Krystal’s POV)

 

It felt odd sitting with Jessica since she was always with her friends instead of me. But hey at least I won’t be sitting alone today. It was just me and Jess, but then I saw her friends coming over to our table. Jessica looked up at them and with her head, she nodded no. I guess that meant they couldn’t sit with us. I wasn’t sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing that Jessica didn't let her friends sit with us. I mean there’s nothing wrong with that, maybe she just wants to spend time alone with me to make up for what happened.

 

“Are you dating L?” Jessica asked me out of nowhere. That question was so random it took me some time to realize what she had asked me.

 

“What?”I asked confused. Why would she be asking me that?

 

“People are saying you two are dating.” She said.

 

“People are saying that?” I asked dumbfounded. Maybe that’s what people have been talking and whisper to each other about.

 

“Yeah. So, it is true?” She asked me.

 

“No, it’s not true.” It made me upset people were spreading rumors about me that weren’t even true.

 

“Good. You shouldn’t date someone like that.” She said straight up. I mean L can act kind of creepy sometimes, but he’s really sweet.

 

“That’s kind of mean don’t you think.” I said. She was being really mean. She didn’t have to say it like that.

 

“I’m just saying. You can do so much better than him.” Jessica said. This was a new side of Jessica. I don’t know if she was just being mean because she didn't like him or she had a reason to say that. Maybe she was just being a protective sister. Whichever it was, it was kind of intimidating the way Jessica was acting. Maybe this was something I was going to have to get used to if I wanted to form a sister relationship with her.

 

We had our lunch and talked a bit. It was mostly asking questions and answering them. I wanted to ask something about Taeyeon, but I wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to bring her up. Jessica didn’t mention her either. I looked around trying to find Taeyeon, but I couldn’t find her anywhere. Maybe she was in a different room having her lunch. Gosh, why am I like this?!!! She lied to me. I should be angry at her…. I need to stay angry at her. Why can’t I? Taeyeon should be looking for me and apologize to me, not the other way around. I shouldn’t be wasting my time looking for her or worrying about her.

 

“Are you listening to me?” Jessica asked. I got so caught up in my thoughts that I forgot Jessica was talking to me.

 

“Huh? Sorry, I was just thinking.” I said. The bell rung indicating lunch was over and we got up to leave our trays.

 

“You seem to be trailing off a lot lately. Thinking so much isn’t good for you, you know. Well, see you later.” Jessica said to me waving goodbye. I waved right back and started walking to my next class. She was right, but I couldn’t help it. I needed to use the bathroom, so I quickly found my way to one. I needed to go quick since I didn’t want to be late for my next class. As I was about to walk into the bathroom, I opened the door and saw Taeyeon put something in . It looked like some type of pill.

 

I panicked and ended up running the other way before Taeyeon could see me. Well, at least I don’t think she saw me. My heart was pounding really fast and I wasn’t sure what I had just seen. I quickly made my way to my class. All I kept thinking about was Taeyeon and what I had seen her do. Was it some kind of drug she was taking? No, it couldn’t be. Why would she be taking that? I’m just overthinking it. Maybe she was just taking something for a headache or it was something for allergies. So many thoughts were going through my head and I was trying to make sense of things. I probably just panicked because I didn’t expect to see her. I even got in trouble in class for not paying attention. That could have been my chance to talk with her, but my nerves got the best of me. I’m just overthinking too much. Plus, she’s not the type of person to do that.

 

I hate the fact that I care so much. I’m not even at fault for what happened, but I still feel bad about it. Why? I have no idea. They both lied to me. the only difference is that Jessica is trying to fix things and Taeyeon acts like she did nothing wrong and that I don’t deserve an explanation. God this is fricken frustrating. It was finally my last class and I tried to finish my homework, so I wouldn't have to do anything at home. I sat at a table by myself. I thought Jessica would end up sitting with me and I hoped she wouldn’t because she wouldn't let me concentrate with all her talking. But she wasn't in class and neither was Taeyeon. It made me sort of angry. Were they together right now? What could they be doing? Then I remembered Jessica said she broke up with her……but that didn’t stop them from getting it on at the party. Thinking about this made me even more furious. I wasn’t really sure what I was mad about anymore. The fact that they lied to me or the fact that they were together or could be together right now.

 

“Krystal?”Someone called my name. I looked up.

 

“Have you by any chance seen Taeyeon?” He asked. It was Minwoo.

 

“No, I haven’t.” I answered.

 

“She’s been MIA since the party and she won’t answer any of my calls or texts.” He said worried.

 

“I saw her this morning.” I told him.

 

“She’s in school? I haven’t seen her. Do you think she’s avoiding me?” He asked. I was not good at giving advice and I was worse when it came to relationships since I’ve never been in one, so I tried to think of what to say.

 

“Ummm…maybe she’s just stressed and needs space. I’m sure she’s not avoiding you.” I tried saying it in a way that would be convincing. He looked really worried about her.

 

“Yeah, you’re probably right. Thanks.” He said before leaving back to his table. I saw Kevin come in and he was walking my way. I gave him a smile and he smiled back.

 

“Hey, Krystal. I feel like we haven’t talked in a while.” He said sitting next to me.

 

“Yeah, it does.” I said.

 

“So, where’s your sister?” He asked.

 

“That’s what I want to know.” I said.

 

“She seems to have a tendency to go to class whenever she wants and not when she’s supposed to, so time probably doesn’t really matter to her.” Kevin said.

 

“I’ve noticed.” I said.

 

“So how are you doing with your classes?” He asked.

 

“I’m doing better than I thought I would.” It felt nice for someone to ask how I was doing.

 

“That’s good.” Kevin said.

 

“Have you seen Taeyeon at all Today?” I asked him.

 

“The last time I saw her was this morning. Why?” He said.

 

“Her boyfriend is looking for her.” I said.

 

“Yeah, he’ll probably end up being her ex.” He said.

 

“What?”I asked confused.

 

“When she starts avoiding someone it means she doesn’t have interest in them anymore. So, she’ll most likely break up with him.” He said. He sounded so sure of it. It was sort of sad. It seemed like he really cared for her. Maybe this is why she’s avoiding me….maybe she doesn’t want me around anymore.

 

“I have to go to the bathroom, I’ll be right back.” I said. I wanted to ask him some questions about Taeyeon, but I didn't want to seem nosy. Plus, the question, I wanted to ask would probably seem weird. I didn’t need to go to the bathroom, I just needed some space. I started roaming around the halls and killing time. I didn’t care whether or not I finished my homework anymore. As I turned the corner of one of the halls, I saw Taeyeon sitting on the floor with her back to the wall. She had her earphones in and her eyes closed.

 

I hid behind the wall, so she wouldn’t see me. I mean she had her eyes closed, but she could open them at any time. I couldn’t help, but stare. Looking at her took my stress, anxiety, and anger away. It was like I had no worries. I liked that feeling. I couldn’t help but smile like an idiot. Thinking of the way she was acting towards me and what she did made me furious, but looking at her took all that away. I was debating whether or not I should go up to her and talk. Jessica wasn’t around, so it wouldn’t be a problem. I took a few breathes before I decided to approach her. She took all the bad feeling away, but I always felt really nervous around her. It was amazing how she could take all my problems away with just looking at her, hearing her voice, or even seeing her smile, but when it came to me actually approaching her, it was like my heart as going to explode. As I was walking I was thinking of what to say, but my mind went blank. I finally got to where she was and sat next to her. I don’t know what came over me, but I took one of the earphones out of her ear and into mine.

 

“What are you listening to?” I asked. I couldn’t believe I just did that. It was like my body took control over me. I was trying to not show how nervous I was on the outside, but I was dying on the inside. Being so nervous made me dumb around her. Why would I ask her what she was listening to if I had one of the earphones in my ear so I knew what she was listening to. God, I’m an idiot.

 

“…….” She didn’t answer. She didn’t even look at me.

 

“So, what are you doing?” I asked. There I go again, asking an obvious question.

 

“……” She still wouldn’t answer me. It was starting to get awkward.

 

“Umm…Jessica told me everything.” I said. After I said this, she finally opened her eyes and turned to me.

 

“She did?” She asked surprised. When she looked at me straight in the eyes I got flustered and I looked away. Just by her looking at me made my heart race and I wasn’t sure if it was because she caught me off guard or because of something else.

 

“Yeah, I get why you didn’t want to tell me.” I said trying to compose myself.

 

“Why I didn’t want to tell you?” She said. It was almost like she was confused when she asked that.

 

“Yeah, I understand you were scared, but I want to let you know that you can trust me and you don’t have to be ashamed of who you are. If you love someone it shouldn’t matter whether they’re a boy or girl.” I tried to tell her something that would comfort her and I wanted her to trust me. I wasn’t just saying it to earn her trust, I meant what I said.

 

“Jessica said that.” Taeyeon said scoffing. The way she said wasn’t a question, it was more like a statement. Like she expected Jessica to say that.

 

“Yeah.” Was all I said. I wasn’t sure if she was just surprised that Jessica told me everything or she was annoyed with the situation. It was sort of hard to read her.

 

“I have to go.” She said getting up. I noticed she looked so tired and the dark circles under her eyes were becoming more visible. Maybe she wasn’t getting enough sleep.

 

“But I was hoping we could talk.” I said. She couldn’t leave now. There is more that I wanted to say and know. She owed me an explanation.

 

“There is somewhere I need to be.” She said.

 

“Minwoo is looking for you by the way.” I told her annoyed. I got up as well. It seemed like she was about to say something, but she didn’t say anything and walked away. Why am I even surprised? She always does this. Every time I try to talk to her she never says much. It’s like talking to a wall and it’s frustrating. Why is she so complicated? It’s like she wants to say something and then doesn’t or she acts so sweet and then she suddenly acts closed off and cold to me. I just don’t get it. Complicated doesn’t even begin to describe her. Ugh what kind of game is she playing?

 

 

Hello there my beautiful readers, I have finally updated after like forever ago. I have not been in the best place mentally and it’s really difficult for me to make the effort to write when I have no motivation. But here is a sort of long chapter, I hope you guys enjoy it and I did not proofread it so if there are any mistakes, I apologize. Thanks for all the support and I know a lot of you have been waiting and thanks for putting up with me. And I haven’t had time to create a new wallpaper for this chapter so I’m going to use an old wallpaper from a previous chapter (you guys probably don’t care haha). Again, thanks for all the comment and support. Till next time~