Chapter 11: Bonding

Beautiful Stranger

Her last class was finally over, but as everyone else was leaving, Krystal stayed seated and continued to do her work. Jessica walked over to her.

 

"Do you want me to wait for you?" Jessica asked. Krystal was a bit surprised at the fact that Jessica was being so nice.

 

"No, it's okay. I'm not sure how long I'll be here anyway." Krystal said.

 

"I just don't want you to go walking in the rain. You'll get soaked." Jessica explained with worry in her voice.

 

"Don't worry, if it keeps raining by the time I'm done, then I'll call you, okay?" Krystal told her. Jessica nodded and left. The truth was Krystal had finished her homework, but she just didn't want to go home. She didn't like being home, and she was always alone anyway. After she was sure Jessica left, she got up and looked for a book to distract her for a bit.

 

She grabbed a random book from the shelf and took it back to her seat. She tried reading it, but she didn't find it interesting. Not long after, she began to get bored. She put her arm on the table and rested her head on it. Then, she slowly dozed off to sleep. She was suddenly woken up by the sound of thunder. She blinked a few times to make sure she was fully awake. She looked up at the clock and only about an hour had passed.

 

She got up and put the book back in its place. While putting her things back in her backpack she was receiving a phone call from Jessica, but she didn't answer. She walked out from the library and began walking aimlessly through the halls. There were still a few kids in school, so it wasn't too lonely. Before walking out of school, she put the books she didn't need back in her locker.

 

When she walked out it was pouring. There was a spot where there was a roof that would shield her from the rain. She thought if she waited under there, the rain would eventually stop. She didn't want to bother Jessica and ask for a ride. Plus, walking home gave her time to just relax and think.

 

"*Sigh* When is the rain going to stop?" Krystal asked herself. She waited there a few minutes, but the rain wouldn't stop. She put her coat on and decided to just walk home in the rain. The only problem with the coat was that it didn't have a hood, so her head would get soaked. 'Just great' Krystal thought to herself. As she was leaving campus, someone beeped at her. Krystal got startled and turned around. The car pulled up closer and rolled down their window. It was non-other than Taeyeon.

 

"What do you think you're doing?" Taeyeon said with a tone that sounded both serious and worried.

 

"I'm walking home." Krystal answered.

 

"You're getting drenched. Get in." Taeyeon told her.

 

"No, I'm fine. My house isn't far from here." Krystal refused. She began to walk again. She wanted the ride but told herself to decline the offer. Taeyeon sighed with a bit of frustration, put her car in park, got out, and went after Krystal.

 

"Don't be stubborn, come on." Taeyeon said grabbing her hand and pulling her to the car's passenger seat. Krystal didn't say anything; the only thing on her mind was the fact that Taeyeon held her hand. She got the feeling of butterflies in her stomach, and she could feel her face turning red. She thought it was a good thing it was raining because Taeyeon might think her cheeks are turning red because of the cold.

 

While they were in the car, Krystal thought Taeyeon would take her home, but they were driving in another direction. Krystal didn't mind, but she knew Jessica would want to know where she was. She was sure that if Jessica found out she was with Taeyeon, she would freak. Krystal thought since she wasn't driving her home, then Taeyeon must be driving to her house. They arrived, and Taeyeon told Krystal to follow her inside. When they entered the house, they went up stairs and into Taeyeon's room.

 

"Wait here." Taeyeon told her.

 

"Okay." Krystal answered. Taeyeon walked into the bathroom. It only took a few seconds and Taeyeon was back. She had two towels in her hand.

 

"Here you go." Taeyeon said handing her one of the towels.

 

"Thank you." Krystal said. Taeyeon began drying her hair, and Krystal was just staring. She thought how even with wet, messy hair, Taeyeon still looked beautiful.

 

"Are you not going to dry yourself?" Taeyeon asked her.

 

"O-Oh right." Krystal snapped out of her daydream and began drying herself.

 

"You can sit down if you want." Taeyeon told her pointing at the chair.

 

"Thanks." Krystal replied.

 

"I'll be right back. I'm going to bring you something warm to drink so that you won't get sick." Taeyeon said before leaving the room. After she left a smile automatically grew on Krystal's face. It made her happy when Taeyeon was nice to her.

 

Krystal got up and started walking around Taeyeon's room. Krystal noticed there wasn't a lot in Taeyeon's room. It was simple. She noticed on her wall, where her desk was, there were little holes. Like push pins used to be there. 'Maybe she had pictures on that wall' Krystal thought to herself. She then turned her gaze somewhere else and saw that her closet was open, and Krystal walked over to take a peek. She knew she shouldn't be snooping through other people's things, but curiosity got the best of her. She noticed there was a costume.

 

Krystal thought maybe it was a costume for a Halloween party. All she could see was that the costume was all black and hanging from it was a gold and black masquerade mask. She couldn't see the whole costume since it was surrounded by other clothes. Before Krystal could take a better look, she heard Taeyeon coming, so she quickly went back to her seat. Taeyeon came into the room and handed Krystal a cup of tea.

 

"Be careful, it might be too hot." Taeyeon told her. Krystal blew on it a little, so it would down a bit, and then carefully took a sip of the tea. It felt nice and warm going down .

 

"Thanks." Krystal said.

 

"Your bruise is better." Taeyeon pointed out.

 

"Yeah, thanks to what you gave me." Krystal said.

 

"Why didn't you call your sister to pick you up?" Taeyeon asked changing the subject.

 

"I wanted to walk home." Krystal answered.

 

"In the rain? And without an umbrella? Isn't that a bit dumb?" Taeyeon said. Krystal noticed the tone in her voice had changed. She wasn't very nice anymore."I think the dumb thing was coming here. Don't bother taking me home; Jessica will be furious if she sees me with you." Krystal fired back. If Taeyeon was going to be like this, then so was she.

 

"I brought you here so you wouldn't get wet. You aren't going back out there." Taeyeon said.

 

"Watch me." Krystal got up and set the cup of tea down on the night stand. She proceeded towards the door.

 

"Krys, stop being so childish." Taeyeon told her. She stood in front of the door so Krystal couldn't leave.

 

"Don't call me that. Now get out of my way. I need to get home." Krystal demanded.

 

"Why are you being like this?" Taeyeon asked.

 

"Why am I being like this? Seriously? You should be asking yourself that question." Krystal fired back.

 

"Are you saying it's my fault you're like this?" Taeyeon said.

 

"I'm not supposed to be here, so move." Krystal said.

 

"Let me drive you home." Taeyeon kept insisting.

 

"I said no, and that's final." Krystal said pushing Taeyeon aside. All Taeyeon could do was watch Krystal walk out the door and once again into the rain. Krystal just kept walking without looking back. It didn't take long for her to get home.

 

"Krystal?" Jessica called as she heard the front door open.

 

"Yeah, I'm home." Krystal answered. Jessica got up from the couch and walked towards the door. Her eyes widened when she saw Krystal all drenched.

 

"I told you to call me when you were done. Why the hell did you come walking?!" Jessica began scolding her.

 

"I didn't want to bother you." Krystal said. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the whole truth either. Jessica ran to get a towel, and when she came back, she wrapped it around her.

 

"Are you sure you were in school the whole time?" Jessica asked.

 

"Yeah, why?" Krystal replied.

 

"Just asking...go quickly and take a shower." Jessica told her and Krystal went upstairs. As Krystal walked up, she turned around and saw Jessica was making a call. Krystal didn't stay long enough to know who she was calling.

 

A few days passed and it was Saturday, which meant it was Halloween. Krystal had agreed to accompany her to the party. She just wanted to clear her mind and have fun. Well, she hoped she was going to have fun. She thought, this time, she wouldn't be ditched.

 

Jessica had told their dad they would be at a friend's house, and they weren't sure if they would spend the night there or come home late. She told him not to wait up for them. All he said was for them to be careful and that was it.

 

It was still early, so Krystal still had a few hours to kill before the party. Jessica asked her if she wanted to go to the mall and Krystal accepted the offer. When they arrived, they went straight to the clothes section. Too Krystal's surprise she was having a good time with Jessica. Since Krystal no longer talked to Taeyeon, she thought of trying to spend more time with Jessica.

 

"I'll be right back." Krystal said leaving to the bathroom. When she was done, she walked back to the place where Jessica was. She was surprised to see Jessica with Kris.

 

(Krystal's POV)

 

It looked to me like they were just talking, but then she started to caress his face. Are they dating or something? I really hope they aren't. He's a jerk who was going to hurt me; not once but twice. Then out of nowhere, she slapped him. Maybe he was bothering her, so she hit him. It doesn't matter; he deserved it. I decided to walk towards them.

 

"Hey, we were just talking about you." Jessica said.

 

"You were?" I asked confused.

 

"Isn't there something you wanted to tell her Kris?" Jessica asked him.

 

"I-I'm sorry Krystal." He said stuttering. He looked scared.

 

"For?" Jessica said.

 

"I'm s-sorry for bullying you." Kris told me.

 

"It's okay." It wasn't, but I didn't know what else to say.

 

"You can leave now." Jessica told him, and he left. She was treating him like her puppet.

 

"What was that about?" I asked.

 

"He apologized, and he won't be bothering you anymore." She said.

 

"How did you know he tried hurting me?" I asked.

 

"Let's just say; there's isn't anything I don't know." She said smiling at me. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

 

"What did you tell him? He looked pretty scared." I said.

 

"All I told him was to leave you alone or else." She said. Now she was starting to freak me out a little. I don't think she saw me eavesdropping since she didn't mention anything about her slapping him.

 

"Or else what?" What did she mean by that?

 

"It doesn't matter. Pick something out and I'll buy it for you." She said changing the subject. I should be thanking her since he won't be bothering me anymore, but there was something that didn't seem right. How could I guy like him be afraid of a girl? Then again, I was afraid of Jessica as well.

I tried forgetting about it. I thought of it as her way of trying to look out for me. We are sisters after all. I couldn't find any clothes that I liked, and then I remembered I didn't have a costume for the party.

 

"Hey, Jess?" I said.

 

"Hmm? You called me Jess; I like it." She said smiling at me. I didn't even realize I called her that.

 

"Do you have a costume for the party?" I asked smiling back.

 

"I do." She said.

 

"Can you help me find one?" I asked her.

 

"Sure I can. Everyone will be wearing masks, so we just need to find a costume that comes with a mask." Jessica told me.

 

"How do you know everyone will be wearing masks?" I asked out of curiosity.

 

"It's the same every year." She said.

 

"Oh, okay." We walked to the where the Halloween costumes were being sold and began looking around. I didn't really like any of them. Some were too much, and others were lame.

 

"I think it'll be cute of we wear similar costumes." Jessica suggested.

 

"What's your costume?" I asked.

 

"It's simple, but you'll like it. I'm going to wear a short red dress with and black and red masquerade mask. You can wear a short white dress with a black and white mask. White will suit you." Jessica told me. I was glad it was a simple costume. She bought me my costume and after that, we grabbed something to eat. I was surprised how much I was enjoying spending time with Jessica.

 

"Are you okay?" Jessica asked me while we were eating.

 

"Yeah, why?" I asked her.

 

"I haven't had the chance to ask how you're dealing with things." She said.

 

"It's okay. You have your own things going on." I told her so she wouldn't feel too bad about it.

 

"No, it's not okay. You're my little sister, and I should be taking care of you." Jessica told me. I didn't want her to feel bad about it. It wasn't her fault. We haven't seen each other for so long; I knew it would be hard for us to become close.

 

"Jess, it's okay, really." I tried reassuring her.

 

"Now that you're living with dad and I, I'm sure we'll have more than enough time to make up for the lost years we couldn't spend together." Jessica said with a smile

 

"Unless mom suddenly decides to take me back." I said. I didn't want to ruin the mood, but our mom always did things unexpectedly.

 

"Do you miss your mom?" She asked me.

 

"You mean our mom." I corrected her.

 

"Yeah, sorry. I'm not used to saying our mom." She said. It's been a long time since Jessica saw our mom, so I understood her.

 

"To tell you the truth I haven't had time ask myself that question. I've been too busy trying to get used to everything here." I told her honestly.

 

"Well, hopefully, tonight will take your mind off things. Maybe you'll meet a cute boy." She said with a smile. I just laughed awkwardly. I had no intention of meeting a guy there.

 

"Thank you." I told her.

 

"For?" She asked.

 

"For doing this." I said. I was thankful she was trying to spend time with me.

 

"It's the least I can do...oh and I've been meaning to clear something up." She said.

 

"Clear what up?" I asked not understanding what she was referring to.

 

"About Taeyeon and I." She said. I was a bit caught off guard. I didn't think Jessica would ever say her name again. Why now? I thought she wanted to leave the Taeyeon situation alone. So many things were going through my mind that I didn't even know how to respond. I just looked at her, waiting to hear what she would say. I didn't know what I was about to hear, but I was eager to know what Jessica was about to tell me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Question: What do you think Jessica will say about Taeyeon? Good things or bad things?

 

Hello, my beautiful readers, I am finally back with another update. I'm still trying to figure out the ending, so I'm not sure when or how I'll end this story, but I really appreciate those of you who are liking the story so far. Thank you all very much