Chapter 1: School

Beautiful Stranger

I was getting my class schedule. It was my first day at my new school. I had moved back to Korea. I lived in the states with my mom and she decided I should move in with my dad and sister.

 

She told me it would be better for me. I turned fifteen when she told me this, but I wasn't stupid. I knew she didn't want to deal with me. She would always be out, so the easiest way not to worry about me was to send me with my dad. What a present right?

 

Everything was new. I wasn't very familiar with the language so I knew it would be difficult to make friends and understand what was said in class. Either way I didn't mind being alone.....or at least that's what I told myself. I didn't have a lot of friends back home.

 

I was sitting in the principles office and I had to admit I was very nervous. My hands were a little sweaty and I was shaking my leg a lot to calm my nerves. I wasn't sure who he was talking to on the phone, but I'm guessing it was important since he wasn't paying attention to me.

 

After he was done talking he gave me my schedule and told me I would be very happy in this school. I just nodded. He said he would get someone to show me around, but I said I would be fine. So he let me leave. I said no because I didn't want to talk to anyone. I'm not very good with conversations. My sister brought me but she went her own way after leaving me in here.

 

I went to the locker that was assigned to me. Class had started, but I can use the 'I'm new here' excuse to get away with it. I was trying to open my locker when I heard someone walking. It sounded like they were coming my way.

 

I was right. Their locker was right next to mine. I wouldn't dare look up. I didn't want to make eye contact because I knew it would be awkward. They opened theirs and I was still trying to open mine. How lame right? I guess they noticed I was struggling.

 

"Do you need help?" They asked. But they asked in English.

 

"Uh yes." I said. How did they know I spoke English?

 

"It can be very tricky the first time." I got out of the way and I finally looked up. It was a girl. For some reason my eyes were locked on her and I couldn't look anywhere else. Her English was good......almost perfect. She was able to get it open when I told her the combination. 

 

"Thank you." I said.

 

"You're welcome." She said.

 

"How did you know I was new?" I asked.

 

"I'm psychic." She said.

 

"Really?" There was no way.

 

"I'm kidding." She said with a chuckle. Well aren't I stupid.

 

"Oh, right." I said a little awkward.

 

"I knew because I've never seen you here before." She was really polite.

 

"It's a big school. How can you remember everyone who goes here?" I asked.

 

"I just can I guess. Do you know where your classes are?" She asked changing the subject.

 

"Yeah, I do." I lied. There was no reason to lie, why was I acting so stupid?

 

"What's your first class?" She asked.

 

"I have biology." I said.

 

"Ah, so you're a freshman." She said. She looked like a freshman too.

 

"Yeah. I should go to class." I began to walk. I had no idea where I was going.

 

"Hey." She called. I turned around.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Are you sure you have biology?" She asked.

 

"I'm sure, why?" I said looking at my schedule.

 

"Because you're going the wrong way." She said with a smile. I should be mad that I just made a complete fool of myself, but I wasn't. Something about her smile prevented me from getting mad.

 

"......." I didn't know what to say.

 

"I'll pretend like I didn't see that and I'll take you to your class. Okay?" She said. I nodded and gave her a smile. Her smile was contagious. Why was she being so nice to me?

 

Throughout the whole day she showed me to my classes. Unfortunately she wasn't a freshman, she was a junior. She looked young though. The only class we had together was independent study, which was the last period.

 

So far my classes weren't that bad, I just had some difficulty understanding some things. Last period came and we walked together. She was very popular. When they said hi to her they would also say it to me, but all I did as smile awkwardly. I wasn't used to getting so much attention.

 

We had independent study in the library. We sat at the same table. Some of her friends sat with us. Well I'm guessing they're her friends.

 

"So who's this?" A guy asked.

 

"She's new." She said. Then I realized she didn't even know my name yet, so I decided to introduce myself. I did it in Korean though. If I'm going to live here, might as well start speaking it.

 

"Hello, my name is Krystal." I said. They all introduced themselves except for her. I didn't ask either, but there was enough time to ask later.

 

I was doing my work when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around.

 

"I see you've made some friends." It was Jessica.

 

"Uh...." Was all that came out of my mouth. Were they my friends? They were probably just being nice.

 

"I was wondering where you were." One of the people sitting at our table said.

 

"You have class in here?" I asked.

 

"Yup. I just had something to do." She said.

 

"Do you two know each other?" Someone else asked.

 

"This is my little sister." Jessica said. A lot of people seemed to know my sister too. I wouldn't be surprised if she was popular too.

 

"What?" Everyone at the table said. I'm guessing she never talked about me. It hurt a little knowing she never mentioned me. She sat down. I turned back around and I noticed she wasn't sitting next to me anymore. I wonder where she went?

 

"Who are you looking for?" Jessica asked me.

 

"Huh? Uh no one." I lied, again. She didn't come back for the rest of the period. Her things weren't there either. The bell finally rung and I was packing my things.

 

"Krystal can you wait for me outside? I'll be out in just a minute." Jessica said.

 

"Okay." I said. She packed her things in a hurry and left. I went to my locker and then waited outside like I was told to. A few minutes had gone by, but it felt like forever. What was taking her so long?

 

I waited a bit longer and she still wasn't back. I started to get worried and a bit impatient. So I went back inside to look for her. I walked through the halls and then I found her. She was talking to some guy. Could it be her boyfriend? She spotted me.

 

"I have to go." She told him.

 

"Can we go now?" I asked.

 

"Sorry, I got caught up." She said. We walked to her car and we were on our way home. We didn't talk the whole way. There wasn't much to talk about. We didn't know each other very well to have a conversation.

 

When we got home I went straight to my room. I started to do my homework. I couldn't concentrate on what I was doing because all I could think about was her. She was so nice to me.

 

It was getting dark and it was time for dinner. It was the first time I was going to have to sit with both of them. He is my father and she is my sister, but we haven't seen each other in a very long time.

 

We sat at the table and we began to eat. I was hoping I wouldn't have to talk. It was silent for a bit, but it was short lived.

 

"So Soojung, how was school?" My father asked.

 

"Can you call me Krystal, please." I don't like being called Soojung.

 

"Okay, Krystal, how was school?" He asked again.

 

"It was fine." I said.

 

"Did you make any friends?"

 

"I guess." I wasn't really sure myself.

 

"Well that's a great start, isn't it Jessica." She wasn't answering. I looked up and she was so focused on her phone. She was probably texting that guy she was talking to at school. She finally looked up.

 

"Huh?" She said clueless.

 

"Your always on that phone. Can you at least not use it at the table." He said. I'm guessing it's happened more than once.

 

"Sorry." She said looking at me.

 

"It's okay. It's nothing important." I said. We were finished eating and I went back to my room. I had finished my homework and I changed into my pj's. I wasn't looking forward to tomorrow. They were probably going to forget about me and I'd be alone. Oh well, maybe I'll make some friends tomorrow.

 

I woke up early the next morning. I got ready and went down stairs. Jessica was already there.

 

"Good morning." She said with a tender smile.

 

"Good morning. Are we leaving?" I asked.

 

"Are you not going to eat anything?" She asked.

 

"No, I was hoping to get to school early so I won't be late." I said.

 

"Are you not sure where your classes are yet?" She said.

 

"I am, but I still think I can get lost and I want to make it to my first class on time. It is a big school." Actually I knew I was going to get lost. There was no way I'd remember where everything was in one day, but I didn't tell her that. I didn't want to bother her. She agreed and we left.

 

Again we didn't say anything while we were in the car. I wanted to ask if she had a boyfriend, but I felt like it was none of my business. We arrived and I went straight to my locker.

 

I was trying to open it, but it wouldn't budge. No matter how many times I put in the combination, the stupid locker wouldn't open. Just what I needed. I knew the bell was going to ring soon, so started panicking.

 

The bell rung and everyone began to go to class. Then it was just me in the hallway. I'm going to be late, again. I gave it one last try and I did it. I quickly got my books, closed my locker. I was about to run to class, but instead I bumped into something really hard.

 

"Yah! You scratched my new shoes." The person said. I was able to regain my balance. I realized what I had done. I dropped my books and they fell on his shoes. That's his fault for having white shoes.

 

"S-Sorry." I stuttered. They were speaking Korean, but I was able to understand what they were saying. It was three guys. They looked older than me.

 

"Do you know how much these cost?" He was very angry.

 

"No....I-I don't." I couldn't stop stuttering.

 

"I should teach you a lesson." He said coming closer.

 

"It w-was an a-accident." I tried to reason. I closed my eyes and waited for whatever they were going to do to me. Not the best idea, but that's all I could think of.

 

"Can you move?" Someone said. I opened my eyes.

 

"What?" He said.

 

"Can you move. Your in the way, I need to get to my locker." It was her.

 

"Come back later, we're busy." He said.

 

"Do I have to repeat myself?" She said. She was really calm about it.

 

"What are you going to do?" He said.

 

"Me? Nothing, but I think I saw a teacher coming this way. Wouldn't it if you got expelled." She said with a smirk. Right when they heard her say teacher, they scrammed.

 

I was breathing heavily because I was so scared. Who knows what they would've done to me.

 

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

 

"I think so." I said.

 

"Let's get you too class." All I could think about during.class was what happened. I was still shaking from it. I've never been so scared. I was looking forward to the last period. I walked by myself to my last period and sat at an empty table.

 

She wasn't here yet. I wonder why? I took out my things from my backpack and started doing my work. I guess I was early since no one else was there.

 

"Hey." Someone said. I looked up.

 

"Yes?" I answered.

 

"Why are you in here?" He asked.

 

"I have class in here." I said. Why else would I be in the library? Not to read a book, that's for sure.

 

"Independent study right." He said.

 

"Yeah." I said.

 

"Me too." He said.

 

"Then why did you ask?" I asked.

 

"Because there's no one here but you.He said.

 

"Right." I said.

 

"And because everyone from this class is supposed to be outside." He said.

 

"What?" What in the world was he talking about?

 

"Yeah, didn't you hear?" Obviously I didn't.

 

"I must've missed the announcement." I said a bit embarassed.

 

"Your new, so it's okay. Come on." He said. I packed my things and followed him out. I didn't understand why we were going outside.

 

We went out and I saw my class sitting on the grass. My sister was there too. She could've at least given me a heads up. Jessica was with her own group of friends and the girl that had helped me out was with another. Who do I sit with?

 

"You can sit with me if you want." He said.

 

"Uh okay." I said. Might as well. We sat together in the grass not too far from her. She wasn't even looking at me. Who was I kidding? She wouldn't hang out with a freshman. "Why are we out here?" I finally asked.

 

"Some other class needed the library." He said.

 

"Oh. Can't we go to another classroom?" I asked.

 

"Wouldn't you rather relax out here?" He asked.

 

"Well yeah, but I have work." I told him.

 

"We all do." He said. I'd rather be sitting in a chair doing my work than in the itchy grass being burned by the sun. I kept looking over at my sister and her, but they were too busy chit chatting with their friends.

 

I put in my ear buds and used my backpack as a pillow. I closed my eyes and used my arm to cover my face from the sun. I suddenly felt someone take one of my ear buds.

 

"Yah!" I said. I immediately sat up and was about to yell at whoever did that, but when I realized who it was, I froze.