Chapter 5

The Story of the Ugly Duckling

I had no idea how long we just looked at each other, but it felt like years. Finally, he cleared his throat and looked away while i looked at my hands, not knowing what to say.

"Um... does it hurt?"

I looked up and saw him rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. I had to smile at that and he seems surprised by my genuine smile. 

"No, it doesn't anymore, thanks so much for taking care of me Kai-shi."

"Eh... it's fine, but you really should be more careful next time."

"Knowing me, even if i was careful, i'd still get hurt... trouble seem to find me wherever i go."

I made a face at him and that caused Kai to chuckle before i started to giggle myself. Once we stopped laughing, the atmosphere once again turned slightly awkward and we just sat there in silence. Suddenly Kai turned to me; i saw that he wanted to say something but the infirmary door swung open before he could, causing us both to jump. We saw Suho standing there, smiling, behind him, most of EXO were there. Sehun waved at me happily while i casually waved back as they made their way into the infirmary. 

"Hey Ara-shi, how are you feeling? You seemed to have hurt yourself pretty bad back there, you were going all pale. We thought we might drop by and see how you are doing."

I smiled in politeness at Suho and nodded.

"Yes, i'm alright, i'm used to getting hurt here and there, it will heal."

"But it was pretty impressive, you insisted to finish the course. Not many girls would do that, especially with us there. They would have made a huge commotion about it and probably fainted from the pain or pretended to faint just so one of us would carry her to the infirmary."

I laughed when Tao said this while making a face. Maybe they are not so bad, i thought to myself. We talked for a while longer and i warmed up to them a bit more. I used to think all Kingkas are really mean and are players with nothing but good looks, but now i believe that's maybe not the case as i looked around at the laughing faces of EXO. I turned to Kai with a happy smile on my face and that surprised him again before he gave me a small smile and went all silent. 

"Well, i think we should head back to class, and you should probably call your parents to take you home to rest Ara-shi. It's good to see that you didn't hurt yourself too badly."

I smiled at Suho and gave him a little bow.

"Yes, i will. Thanks so much for coming to see me, Suho-shi and everyone else."

"It's no problem, it was great that i could come and see a cute girl like you."

Chanyeol spoke up and gave me a wink while my face heated up as a blush crept up my face. Kai stood up and jokingly hit Chanyeol on the head, causing Chanyeol to yelp. Looking at them mess around with each other and being such good friends gave me a warm feeling inside. So this is the feeling when you have friends around who care about you. I smiled and turned to Kai. I noticed that everyone was quiet but didn't care, i was feeling really grateful towards Kai because of how cared for me. 

"Thank you Kai-shi, for everything you did for me."

"... it's fine, really, just... be careful next time."

I smiled at him and nodded.

"Of course! Thank you all again."

"It's alright... and... you needn't call me Kai-shi, just Kai... is fine."

I froze for a second but then smiled softly at Kai.

"Sure, and all of you don't need to call me Ara-shi anymore, let's drop the formalities and just call me Ara or anything that you prefer. But no embarrassing nicknames thank you very much."

Everyone laughed at my comment and i giggled along with them. When they were ready to leave, Suho turned around once more and addressed me warmly.

"We hope to see you around Ara, and maybe you can hang with us some time at lunch if you want."

They closed the door behind them and i sighed, the smile never leaving my face. 

Suho pov~~~

"Hey Suho hyung, she doesn't seem like the outcast that distances herself from people anymore, she's actually... quite nice."

"Yeah, that's true Kai, maybe she's finally opening up..."