Her Decision

Wedding Gone Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinri remained in the hospital for three more days. Sunyoung and the girls had visited more than once, hanging around for hours in an attempt to cheer her up. Soojung and Amber kept the conversation going and filled her mind with gossip and last-minute news. Once or twice, they had even managed to make her laugh.

 

Jongin was the loudest in his attempts to comfort her. He was angry and he believed he had a right to be. He was also the only one who understood just how deeply this accident had affected her. Not surprisingly, she found the presence of the Oh family’s members to be most comforting. They were quiet and understanding without her having to explain anything and with them around, she felt like she actually had a family.

 

“I feel so powerless. I feel like they’re destroying everything they’ve tried so hard to build. I can do nothing to stop them, to guide them down the right path.” Mrs. Oh whispered as she stared down at the half-empty coffee mug in her hands.  

 

“You can’t know what the right path is, mom. That’s up to them to find out.” Luhan replied in his usual calm.

 

“Luhan, what do you know?” She whispered, her dark eyes meeting an identical pair across the table.

 

“Not much. But it doesn’t take a genius to realize that he screwed up again. It’s what he does best. I hope you are aware of that.” His gaze met hers again.

 

“It’s hard to think that everything we’ve seen was just another façade. That their happiness wasn’t for real.” She confessed in a whisper.Sehun had made so many mistakes but it was impossible for her to blame him. She had given birth to him, she had raised him and she had educated him. She knew her son. And he was that man that had been standing by his wife’s side for nearly a week, devastated if anything could happen to her. This marriage had changed him, warped him into something he was not.

 

“They were happy.” Luhan disagreed.

 

“Not as happy as they seemed. She changed him. And she was also finally able to be herself. But with so much history between them.” She shook her head.

 

“All this time and he only now realizes he loves her. That is not a mistake anymore, mom. That is stubbornness. That is arrogance. And refusal to finally start appreciating what he has.”

 

“I know perfectly well what that is. Nobody’s perfect. He may be naïve but he is my son. And I will stand by his side until the very end.” Mrs. Oh told him. Her gaze was stern as it met his.

 

“Very well. Then with the knowledge that he benefits from such loyal supporters, I will move to Jinri’s side. She needs me more than he does. Not to mention that she actually deserves my support.”

 

For a moment, Mrs. Oh wondered if he was mocking her. But then she remembered that none of her sons would ever do that and heaved a sigh as she reached for his hand across the table. “Why are you so upset? I understand that you care about this girl and believe me, I am well aware of how unfair this situation is. But Sehun is your brother.”

 

“Yes, he is my brother. And as his big brother, I believe I have done everything I could to open his eyes and guide him down the right path. He refused to listen. And I am not going to allow him to take advantage of her current state for his own selfish desires. Jinri needs someone to defend her and that person will be me.”

 

He turned to leave but the desperation in her voice as she called out for him stopped him. “She told him she wants to divorce him!”

 

He stiffened, one of his hands already resting on the doorframe. He swallowed before speaking, his mouth suddenly dry. “Good.”

 

“Good? They love each other, Luhan! They will be miserable without each other! You know that perfectly well!”

 

“The only way they will be miserable is if they choose to continue with this joke! They don’t trust each other. She couldn’t bring herself to tell him that she was pregnant. God knows what stupid thing he did in response! Love is not the answer to all of their problems, mother!”

 

“It is the most important thing.” She argued, stubbornly holding her ground.

 

“You really think so? And to what served her? Loving him all along? Trying to open his eyes? If love is the most important thing, then let me tell you that some people would gladly give it up. And I believe Jinri to be one of them.”

 

“She had no idea what she is doing! I talked to her. My heart broke at the sight of her. She wants a divorce but she needs him. And she’s just so devastated with the loss of her baby. It makes me wonder if this girl will ever be alright again.”

 

“She has to be. She is a strong woman. She will get over this.” He replied firmly

 

“I have no doubt that she will. But this kind of things scars you forever, Luhan.” Her eyes were weary as they rose to meet his.

~•~

 

“I brought you some clothes.”

 

Jinri reached out to accept the shopping bag with a grateful smile. She had already taken a shower and was eager to finally trade the hospital gown for some proper clothes.

 

“Did you choose them?” She asked, bemused.

 

“No, Soojung did. After she hit me with clothing from your closet and then threw some shoes at me for good measure.” Standing there, his gaze nervously holding hers; she realized that he was ‘cute’. He was acting like a teenager who was preparing to take his girlfriend out on their first date. Then the door opened and Sehun could only watch, desperate as his dream was ripped to shreds right before his eyes.

 

“I’m taking her home. You have made me a promise and you have broken it. You are done with my support. From this moment onwards, I will not raise a finger to help you anymore.” A gruff voice demanded, the figure of his older brother filling the doorway.

 

“Do you really think I meant to break that promise?”

 

“No. But the thing about life is it very scarcely gives you the chance to explain yourself.” Luhan had answered so firmly that it surprised him. And as Sehun took one last glance at his brother before exiting the room, he realized that if Jinri asked him, he would never bring her home. If she asked, he would take her away from him. One word from her and this could be the last time he saw her.

~•~

 

There was no denying the surprise Jinri had felt upon witnessing Luhan’s unexpected arrival. Even more confusion erupted within her when he suddenly pulled on the side of the road on the highway, nowhere close to their destination.

 

“I need to know if you want to go back to him. Because if you don’t, we’re going to the airport right now and I’m taking you to China with me.” He told her, dark eyes boring into hers. Luhan trusted Jinri and had faith in her decisions. But as he looked at her dumbstruck expression, he realized just how right his mother had been. She didn’t know what she was doing; she had no idea what she wanted.

 

“What about Sehun?” She breathed, her brows furrowed in confus

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter