Some Things Never Change

Wedding Gone Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It took a while for the news to sink into Sunyoung’s mind. The line was silent for what seemed like an eternity which she tried her hardest to make sense of that simple sentence that had been uttered so brokenly.

 

“Are you sure?” She asked, her voice soft and quiet as though she were afraid of the answer.

 

“Yes. But I haven’t confirmed it yet. I didn’t take a test or anything.” Jinri answered and by the way she sounded, she could easily tell that her friend was crying. 

 

“You have to.” She advised softly.

 

“I know. God, I’m so sorry for calling you on your honeymoon to tell you about my problems but I just don’t know what to do.” She trailed off, a sob involuntary ripping from and Sunyoung suddenly wished she was there to comfort her.

 

“Don’t worry about it, Jinri. I’m your friend. And I’m glad you called me.” She said, her voice dripping with sincerity. “But how did this happen? Did you guys not use anything?”

 

“Of course we did. I’m on the pill.” She said.

 

“Then why are you so worried? It’s probably just the stress. Pregnancy symptoms can be so easily mistaken that it’s almost laughable.” She chided softly.

 

“It’s not that easy. That night when we first did it, I wasn’t on anything.” She confessed silently as if ashamed.

 

“What? Jinri, you told me you knew that was going to happen! You told me you knew you and Sehun would get to that!” She hissed, shocked.

 

“I did. He took me completely by surprise with his invitation and everything. I didn’t have the chance or time to go to the pharmacy to get myself birth control pills!” Jinri sobbed loudly into the phone and Sunyoung instantly regretted been so harsh with her.

 

“I’m not sure your biggest problem right now is him. I understood he likes kids.” She said.

 

“But this really isn’t the right time to bring a child into this world, Sunyoung. We’re not even together properly! We’re just ing!”

 

“Listen to me: go to the pharmacy and buy a pregnancy test. If they’re positive, you don’t have to tell Sehun right away if you don’t want to. But when you do, please make sure you two have a long discussion. Maybe this child will bring you two together.” A sudden noise from inside the hotel room attracted her attention, stopping her from saying anything else. Turning around, she saw Zitao shuffling around and she knew it was time to hang up, preferably before he noticed her speaking on the phone. She had never managed lying to him so she preferred not to have any explanations to give him, in the first place.

 

“Look, I have to go. I’ll call you later today to see how things went, alright?” She said, a bit hurriedly.

 

“Yeah. Thank you, Sunyoung.” Her friend answered with yet another sniffle. 

~•~

 

“I can’t be pregnant. My period has been late before. And one night unprotected, that’s like a one in a million chance.” Jinri said firmly to herself as she stood in front of the mirror, trying to gather up the courage to look at the stick lying on the edge of the sink.

 

“A blue line.” She quickly grabbed the box so that she could re-read the instructions. “Not pregnant.” Words couldn’t describe the emotions that exploded within her in that moment. Until her eyes landed on the stick once again and caught the faint outline of another line beginning to colour. “I’m pregnant. What I want to do now?” She sobbed, her face burying itself into her knees.

 

Much later that day, Sehun finally arrived home. He pushed the front door open carefully so that it wouldn’t slam behind him; since he was pretty sure his wife was already asleep. He was proved wrong when he entered the living room. There she was curled up on the couch. A pillow was under her head, another one in her arms while her eyes remained fixed on the flat screen attached to the wall.

 

“Jinri? Why aren’t you sleeping? It’s past midnight.” He questioned softly as he sat down next to her, reaching out to tuck a lock of hair behind her ear.

 

“I didn’t notice.” She eventually answered, avoiding meeting her gaze. From the corner of her eye, she saw him nod slightly. His eyes moved to the coffee table and he chuckled when he saw the empty ice-cream bucket.

 

“You eat more ice-cream than any other person I’ve met, you know?”

 

She stiffened and her eyes snapped up to meet his, fear shining in them. Could it be that he was slowly starting to realize what was going on? The symptoms she’d had were unmistakable and while she had no reason to assume that her husband knew anything related to pregnancy.

 

“I’m going to bed.” She hastily announced and quickly stood up, not having the necessary patience to even wait for his answer. She had just reached the top of the stairs when she felt the pain in her abdomen suddenly return. Before she could stop herself, she cried out, tears springing to her eyes. Sehun quickly turned around, his heart clenching painfully in his chest at the sight of her posture. He practically catching her just in time before she hit the floor; keeping her steady with his hands on her forearms.

 

“For God’s sake, what just happened?” He repeated insistently and cupped her face within his hands, trying to meet her gaze.

 

Instead on answering his question, Jinri muttered a quiet curse under her breath, her arms wrapped tightly around her middle section. She felt like she couldn’t breathe properly and she leaned into her husband, resting her head on his broad shoulder, hoping that the contact would soothe her somehow. Soon enough, the tears returned and she began to cry silently not because of the pain but because of the unbearably situation she had managed to land herself in. Clueless, Sehun wrapped his arms around her and began to rub his hand up and down her back, murmuring soothing words in her ear.

 

“Baby, what’s wrong? You’re worrying me.” He asked as he gently pulled back, cupping her tear-stained face within his hands. “I’m calling the doctor.” He stated, standing up.

 

“Don’t call the doctor. I’m alright, I promise. That’s how I get when I’m about to get my period. I feel really bad and I’m moody.” She explained.

 

He remained quiet after he heard her explanation, his eyes studying her features as if searching for any sign that she might be lying and she felt a fleeting sense of panic as she realized that he still decide to call the doctor. After a few tension-filled moments, he sighed quietly and crouched back down in front of her.

 

“Is that why you cried? You’re in pain?” He asked.

 

“Yeah. It hurts really badly sometimes. Please don’t call the doctor.” She lied, avoiding meeting his eyes. With yet another sigh, he cupped her face into his hands and leaned in, placing a soft kiss onto her forehead. Jinri closed her eyes in contentment, barely resisting the urge to bury herself into his protective arms once again.

 

“I don’t want anything to happen to you.” Sehun said sincerely as he pulled back, gazing deep into her eyes. Then he stood up and made his way upstairs, leaving her alone in the room. Jinri looked after him, silently watching as he disappeared down the hallway. Turning her gaze back to the floor, she bit her lip.

 

She wanted so badly to run after him, to snuggle under the covers with him, to feel his strong arms encircle her waist. But they had never cuddled without having first and it was obvious that there was no way that was going to happen tonight. After turned off the TV, she made her way back to her room and not his.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter