Chapter 2

A Story of Fangs and Clans

Mom let Chaerin sit in a chair and her red eyes flashed at me. I nodded-get a blood bag. I hurried into the basement and pulled a bag from my section, running back up to give to her. She took it from me, nodding her thanks and sank her teeth into it. She let out a satisfied moan and the life out of the god damn thing. Dad was talking to the scouts, who came in to apologize to her.

Chaerin just smiled, nodded and replied with: “I understand you’re careful on who enters your Master’s territory.”

I went to the scouts and whispered, “I want all intruders to be reported and brought back to me. They could be Lees, and only me, my father and my mother will speak to them until further notice. Understood?” I held one’s shoulder and continued, “Oh. And speak of this with no one.” They bowed to me and sped off, intimidated by my red eyes-another Kwon trait. Chaerin handed the blood bag to Dad who threw it away and she stood, looking around.

“Nice home, you have here, Kwons.” She said and bowed, “I’m sorry for the intrusion, by the way.”

Dad shook his head, “By all means, your family is legend, you’re welcome into our territory anytime Miss Chaerin.”  She had a kind smile, but I was still cautious of her. She was a Lee, yet she came alone and hungry, feeding on territory that used to be hers but was chased to us. That means she didn’t know there was a change in power. So how could she not know? Dad then wrapped his arm around me and smiled at her, “This is our only child, Jiyong.”

I automatically bowed to her. She hummed, “Up, please. It’s rude to have you bowing to me on your land.”

I straightened and looked at her, “What exactly are you doing here anyway, Chaerin-ssi?”

Mom and Dad glared at me, but Chaerin didn’t seem fazed. opened but Mom held her hand out, “First, let’s get Miss Chaerin comfortable here.” She glared at me and I rubbed my nape, “Before she explains herself, Jiyong.”

Dad nodded, fearing his own wife, “Y-Yes. Jiyong, why don’t you grab a t-shirt and sweatpants for Miss Chaerin?”

I rolled my eyes and nodded, gesturing for this girl to follow. She trailed me and stayed silent until we reached my room, “You can sit down, Chaerin-ssi.” I said.

She smiled, “Just call me Chaerin. And thank you Jiyong… I can tell you’re a little upset.”

I sighed, “Sorry. I’m just a little surprised.” I handed over a large white t-shirt and gray sweats for her. She nodded her thanks and I pointed to my bathroom, “Go ahead and change.” She walked in and closed the door.

I couldn’t believe an original Lee was here. To be honest, I was upset. But also curious. I didn’t understand why she’d come out of the blue. Chaerin came out and pulled her hair into a ponytail, I hadn’t noticed but her skin was wet from the rain, and her hair was almost soaking. “May we go back downstairs?”

I smiled a little-I really couldn’t help it. She looked cute. “Of course.” We walked back down and Mom guided her to the table, “Please start with where you and your Clan have been for so long.” Dad elbowed my gut and I doubled up. I swear, it was like having an older brother at home instead of a father figure.

Chaerin held her hand up, “No, no, it’s ok. Jiyong is right…” She took a deep breath, “The night before October 13, father sort of tipped off one of our allies. They attacked my family and staked us, put us in coffins and buried us.” Here’s another thing-the whole stake to the heart, who wouldn’t that kill? But a stake, only keeps us dead until it’s pulled out. The only thing I know that can really kill us is burning the body. But still… Woohoo for the immortality.

“Where are your brother and your parents?” Mom asked.

She shrugged her eyes glassy and she spoke softly, “That’s a problem…I don’t know… I was discovered by a very loyal follower of the Lee Clan, she was my friend back then, Gong Minji. She found me in the cemetery and ripped out the stake.” She lifted up the shirt she wore to reveal a scar still in the midst of healing itself. She set it back down and continued, “She kept me calm until we could find my brother, or my parents so I wouldn’t be alone hunting. But we couldn’t…” She paused to hold her head down and she rocked forward a little, “They buried all of us in separate places, and Minji told me she’s not guaranteeing to find them in Korea. So, I told her I’d hunt in some unclaimed territory. I didn’t know I travelled into yours.”

Dad looked at me and his gaze seared into me, the way it did when he wanted me to do something. I nodded and held up a finger, to wait. She looked like she needed time to pull herself together, so when she did, I said softly, “Chaerin-“ Before I could finish, someone was pounding on the door. Mom growled in surprise and looked at me earnestly. I went to the door and opened up, a girl with short dark hair stood in the doorway. Her fangs were unsheathed.

“Minji-ah.” Chaerin called, standing from her seat.

“Unnie!-“ She forgot about the barrier and bounced against it. She looked at me and gulped, bowing her head a little, “I’m sorry-Kwon Jiyong. I-uh-please let me in.”

I blinked and leaned against the door, “Come in.” She rushed past me, looking at her friend with concern.

“Unnie, I knew I shouldn’t have let you scour the ing grounds. You should’ve let me tell you about the new leadership around here!” She looked at her and sighed, “I’m so sorry Mr. and Mrs. Kwon, I hope we didn’t cause you trouble.”

Mom waved her hand, still sitting, “Nonsense… Gong Minji. You still follow the original Clan when they disappeared for nearly a century?”

She nodded, “Chaerin-unnie was my best friend. But, the Lees, you should know, were very high-class and powerful. I stayed by Chaerin’s side since birth and when they disappeared-I couldn’t just follow anyone else. I had to find her and her family. I found her-but…”

Chaerin laid a hand on Minji’s shoulder and squeezed, “Please, Minji, wait outside for me. I have to talk to these people.”

She obeyed without another word. I was impressed. Of course, back then, my parents had obeyed the Lees, they did have a powerful empire. They were rich beyond belief, and as powerful as gods with loyal subjects all over the world. When I was younger, Dad had thought that I could be as successful as the Lees. I could be now. “Chaerin.” I said, “I…can help find your family members.”

“How? Minji has been studying for one hundred years, yet all she could find was me.” She said, crossing her arms.

I narrowed my eyes, “Was it a Clan that killed you and your family?”

“Yes.”

I shrugged, “What Clan? We can see if they follow us, Dad.” He looked at me, smiling and nodded.

She sighed, “It’s not a big Clan… They’re strictly for the surname only. Um…Park? Park Clan.”

Mom lifted her head up again and she looked at Dad, “Honey, they keep charge of Pusan.”

He sighed, rubbing his face, “I know…” He stood and touched Chaerin’s arm, “Miss Chaerin, from now on until further notice, you may stay here. It would cause a commotion if people knew you came back. And no one comes into our home a lot.”

“Thank you, Mr. Kwon. However…I would like to see my old home sometime.”

Mom had said-without a look to either man in the room, “Jiyong will take you tomorrow evening. Is that ok?”

I smiled, signaling I didn’t mind and she nodded. Dad guided her to the guest room and Mom looked at me, “You be careful from now on. We don’t want anyone else to know that she’s back. It could put her family and ours in danger. No one. And I mean it Kwon Jiyong.”

“But Mom. In case you forgot-Dara and Bom are Park Clan members!”

“Then-compel them. Seriously.” Mom stood and I backed up a little. You know how Moms are so scary, even their husbands fear them? My mother was one of those women. Even though Dad was given the title, Mom was the one calling shots. She was fearless, strong, I’ve never heard of her backing down to anyone. “I want this girl to be safe.”

“What’s so important about Lee Chaerin?” I asked, “Sure-she’s an Original Lee. But that’s it…” Mom hit my cheek and scoffed. “OW.” Are both my parents really adults? “I swear, I’m the most matured one in this household.”

“What’d you say?”

“Nothing, Mom.”

She shook her head, “Jiyong. Lee Chaerin and her brother were very much involved in their parents’ Clan. She’s strong personnel, and-whatever the Parks want with her family gone is weird-they staked her and buried her apart from her family members. Doesn’t that scream ‘danger’?!”

I gripped my hand together and looked up at her, “I understand, Mom… But…Dara wants to join our Clan. Should I interrogate Bom after accepting Dara?”

“No.” She said, “Compel Dara and Bom.”

“They’re both at Youngbae’s… Should I go now?”

Dad came back out and sighed, “Miss Chaerin is asleep. Honey, what are you yelling at our son about now?”

Mom smiled, “About his friends’ girlfriends. The Park girls, Dara and Bom.”

“Oh. Perhaps they’ll give us in tell on what happened one hundred years ago.” Dad said and Mom looked at me like she knew what she was talking about, “But, I’d wait a few days. Let Miss Chaerin settle…” He leaned back in his chair, his usual thinking look on his face, “Who was Park Clan’s leader a century ago again?”

I shrugged, “I’m not sure… Teddy Park and Jay Park the half-brothers I think.” Same father, different mothers. Back then, having children with more than one man/woman wasn’t really ok. But since Mr. Park was a major Clan’s leader, he was off the hook. He retired and took his own life-not out of depression-but the damn guy thought he was too old to live. He passed his Clan onto his two sons, Teddy and Jay. Both grew up in the U.S, but took their father’s role well. However, they were obviously a bit more aggressive and temperamental than most people I knew.

Dad snorted, “Those idiots. Jiyong, will you interrogate them or shall I?”

I held my hands up, “I’m full with Dara and Bom already. You get the boys.” I nodded to Mom, “Take Mom when you do. Everyone bows in front of Mom.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Told you I'd do it...teehee. One more.

-TAIwin