Dinner

Saudade

A/N Happy 38th Birthday to our beloved Kang Gary ! Stay healthy , happy , successful and handsome ! It's time for you to think about marriage seriously now , and I'm hoping Jihyo is on your mind when you think of that ! Hehehe . Anyway , here's chapter 9 . 


A bunch of guys gathered in one table , pens in their hand and paper full of lyrics writing were in front of them . Some of them were humming a melody and some were discussing about the lyrics . Gary was one of them , he shove his hand into his varsity’s pocket and grab out his phone “ 2:37 pm “ the clock shows and with that he decided to put their music discussion to an end .

“ Thank you for your hard work “ he bowed and waved them a goodbye .

He drove himself to the nearby cafe to get some meals and coffee since he didn’t have the chance to eat his lunch because they were so immersed with their music making just now .

He entered the cafe and the workers there immediately greeted him , some people there also immediately recognize him as he walked in . He gives his order and waited at the table by the edge of the cafe . He played some random game on his phone to buy some time before his meals arrive and by then a text came in .

“ Kang Gary , where are you ? “ the text says , he smiled widely when he reads it and decided to call her .

“ Mong Ji Mong Ji ~ I’m at a cafe right now , waiting for my meals “ he said as soon as the call connected .

“ You skip your lunch again ? I told you that it’s bad to skip meals “ Jihyo scolded him with a worried tone through the phone , making Gary chuckled .

“ You know how I am right ? It’s not that I wanted to skip , it just happen . We’re busy discussing about Leessang’s new album and didn’t realize that we skipped our lunch time “ He said , earning a sigh from her .

“ Arasso but next time make sure that you guys have your lunch okay ? So how is it going ? “ she asked .

“ Pretty good , how’s your day ? “

“ Same . Pretty good “ she answered and laughed . By then , Gary’s meal arrived at his table .

“ My meals arrived and I need to eat it cause I’m hungry . Well , I’ll call you later okay ? Take care “ he said , being extra careful not to mention her name since he’s afraid that the waiter might hear it .

“ Okay oppa , enjoy your food and take care too “ she said and they ended their call .

Gary slightly bowed his head and thanked the waiter for his food before digging it up . He eats his food while looking around the street and cafe , watching people walked pass the cafe and he noticed that some are taking his photo from a far but he didn’t mind since he’s used to it already .

His eyes caught a couple walking in front of the cafe , they were wearing a couple t-shirt while holding hands and laughing . A happy expression were clearly shown in both of their face as they enjoyed each other’s company . “ That’s sweet “ he thought as he munched his food and with that he does feel a little bit guilty for Jihyo since both of them were celebrity , they can’t enjoy a date like that . He really wanted to enjoy a normal date like a normal people , walking together at the day , holding hands and being able to walked with relax without having to cover their face from the citizen but he knows it was impossible for them , even if it was it will be only after they openly announced their relationship but still , paparazzi and citizen will be taking their photos secretly before posting it on SNS which could make them rather uncomfortable with it .

With that on his mind he unknowingly finishes his meal , he chuckled at himself before he stood up and walked to the cashier to pay his meal . The workers there bowed him a thank you when he walked out from the cafe .

He entered his car and started the engine , suddenly a call came in . He grabbed his phone and look at the caller’s ID , he have this puzzled look on his face before he answered it .

“ Oh Hyung , why ? “ he said .

“ Heegun-ah ! Where are you now ? “ it was his older brother .

“ I’m inside my car right now , I’m on my way home . Why ? “ he asked again .

“ Oh ! Ani , I just wanted to tell you that omma is on her way to your house “ he said , making Gary surprised .

“ what ? why ? “

“ She said she wanted to pay a visit for you , I already told her to give you a call but I guess she wanted to give you a surprised but I’m worried about her that’s why I told you this . Yah ! Hurry up and go home , I’m afraid since omma could get lost “ he said .

“ Arasso hyung . Thank you for telling me “ he said and ended the call . He quickly drove himself to his house , a worried face were shown on his face and his heart were beating fast since he’s worried about her .

He was about to reach his house when he saw a familiar figure walking by the street , he narrowed his eyes to get a better view and release a relief sigh when he was sure that it was his mother . He immediately stops his car by the street before he catch up to her .

“ Omma ! “ he called for her and she immediately turns by the voice of her son . She smiled instantly when she sees him and went to him for a hug .

“ Why didn’t you tell me that you’re coming . “ he whined , his mother replies that she doesn’t want to burden him since she knows he’s busy and she wanted to give him a surprise visit .

“ It’s just too bad that you see me here , I was planning to give you a surprise by appearing in front of your door house “ she continued , making Gary chuckled . He then escorted her to his car .

“ Heegun-ah , have you found someone yet ? “ his mother asked on their way to his place .

“ Not yet omma “ he lied when the fact is that he’s currently in a relationship with someone but rather keep it as a secret first , even from his mother .

“ Aigoo , Heegun-ah . When will you start seeing someone ? You’re not young anymore “ she whined , Gary just smiled .

When they entered Gary’s apartment , he instantly ran inside to clean up his messy living room . His mother just tsk-tsked at her youngest son’s behaviour . On her mind , how it would be great if he could get married soon or even seeing someone nice right now , someone who could take care of him since she couldn’t visit his son’s place all the time so most of the  time she could only give him a call to know how’s he doing .

Finish with Gary’s fast cleaning , they settled down on the couch at the living room to have some conversation . Gary just couldn’t hide the fact that he miss her so much and how happy he was to see her at his place , of course for a mother , seeing her son being happy is enough to make her happy too . They talked until it was about 7pm when Gary’s mother decided to make their dinner . Gary told her to just use any ingredients inside his refrigerator , following his son’s order she went to check and how disappointed she is when all she could see inside the refrigerator were some beers and snacks .

“ How am I suppose to make dinner with this ? “ his mother whined , making Gary felt embarrassed . He rarely cook dinner for himself , most of the time he will only fill his tummy with some ramen or simply just order something from the nearby restaurant .

“ I’ll go to the nearest market then “ his mother said and went to grab her purse . Gary also went to grab his wallet and car keys , saying that he’ll drive but his mother refuse by saying that she could take a taxi and he should just rest at home . As they were opposing each other’s idea , the door bell sounded . “ who could it be ? “ he thought as he walked to the intercom , he was surprised when he saw Jihyo waving to him from the intercom . He quickly went to open the door and welcomed her in .

“ Where have you been and why didn’t you answered any of my calls ? “ she whined as soon as she steps in , confused with her words he grab his phone to check his missed call list and he realize that his phone had ran out of battery .

“ I’m sorry Jihyo-ah , my phone died “ he apologize . Seeing that she was carrying a plastic bag , he asked her –

“ what’s that ? “ and took the plastic bag from her .

“ I’m planning to cook you a dinner “ she said and walked further in with him . He just smiled brightly as he was touched by her intention .

“ Heegun-ah ? Who’s here ? “ her mother asked as she peek out from the living room . Making both of them surprised . “ Ah I forgot “ Gary mumbled when he just realize that he forgot to inform Jihyo about his mother .

“ Aigoo aigoo ! Look who’s here ! “ his mother said in excitement as she walked towards Jihyo .

“ Anyeonghaseyo omonim , I’m Song Ji Hyo “ Jihyo introduced herself as she bowed for her .

“ I know who you are , my son sometimes talk about you to me and I often saw you together with him on the TV “ Gary’s mother said and hugged Jihyo . Gary’s mother then saw that Gary was carrying a plastic bag full of cooking ingredients , she asked Jihyo if she’s the one who bought it . Jihyo nodded and says that she wanted to cook Gary a dinner .

“ since he has been really good to me so I decided to pay him back by cooking him a dinner “ she continued , not wanting his mother to get the real idea that they’re currently dating .

“ Well then , let me cook for both of you “ his mother said and took the ingredients from Gary before going to the kitchen .

“ Then let me help you “ Jihyo offer herself as she follows the older lady towards the kitchen , Gary just unknowingly followed them too . Gary’s mother accepted Jihyo’s kindness and let her help with the cooking .

Arriving at the kitchen , Gary’s mother went to take the ingredients out from the plastic bag . Seeing the chance that his mother weren’t paying attention to them , Gary approach Jihyo from her back and blows her ears making Jihyo flinched . Gary laughed when he saw how surprised Jihyo’s face was , which earns him a beating at his stomach from her . He silently whined in pain as he rubs his stomach .

“ What are you doing ?! What if she sees that “ Jihyo whispered , Gary chuckled more when he saw Jihyo’s nervous face .

“ Are you really nervous about my mother ? “ he asked .

“ Of course I am , why didn’t you tell me that she’s coming ? “ she asked .

“ Well , firstly I didn’t even know that she’s coming over , I found it by surprise too . Secondly because my phone died . Thirdly because , I didn’t know you’re coming too “ he respond . Jihyo just let out a sigh before walking towards Gary’s mother to help her out .

Not wanting to disturb them since he knows nothing much about cooking , he went back to his living room to clean the mess . He gathered the lyrics-written paper before arranging them nicely on the table then he pick up those empty beer can and throw it away . Finish with it , he went into his bedroom to gather his dirty close before putting it into the washing machine . Only after doing all of that he finally realize how messy his place was , slightly feeling embarrassed for letting Jihyo stay and even see all this mess .

He went back to the living room to watch some TV , he took a peek at the kitchen as saw the two women smiling while preparing their dinner .

He looked at Jihyo “ she’s beautiful “ he thought . Her hair were pulled back into a bun , her shirt sleeves were folded up to her elbow and her front body were covered with an apron . To him , she looks amazingly beautiful even in her simplest way . “ she didn’t even have to try “ he thought as he was admiring her .

After that , he looked at his mother  “ I miss her so much “ he thought when he saw her there diligently cutting some of the vegetables , it’s been a while since the last time he saw his mother actually cook for him so seeing her there diligently cooking for him brings some old memories , how he would whine for food from his mom whenever he come home from school and sometimes he doesn’t even have to , since most of the time food are already serve whenever he’s home .

Cooking or cleaning is considered hard enough for him , he even sometimes fails in cooking for himself and even fail in keeping his house clean for most of the time , of course it’s a women’s job to cook and clean for her family but when he saw how diligent his mother was , he felt more grateful for her . She must have been really tired for all this year of cooking and cleaning for him , his brother and his father . Thanks to her , both him and his brother had grown into a healthy man and now , it’s time for them to pay her back “ with our success “ he thought .

Seeing both of her most beloved women together cooking makes him feel happier than ever , the way they could communicate comfortably with each other  despite the fact that Jihyo was nervous makes him feel more at peace  . The smile his mother had on her lips were the same smile that she had when his brother first introduced his sister-in-law to his parents , seeing how nice her daughter-in-law was making her happy , she keep saying that he choose the right girl and also keep telling Gary to find someone nice too . The smile stays on her face whenever her daughter-in-law spend some quality times with her , it’s just too bad that his brother had to move out from his mother house because of works commitment . “ I guess omma likes Jihyo then “ he thought and continue to watch the TV .

There were only one meal to make before it all finish .

“ Omonim , go and take a rest first . Let me handle the rest “ she said , wanting to let Gary’s mother rest but of course the mother refuses and with that , Jihyo gently take her by the hand and escorted her to the living room , letting her sit besides Gary . Gary laughed at the situation , but agrees with Jihyo’s suggestion .

“ Omma , take a rest first will you ? Here , let me give you a massage “ he said and get on his knees on the couch to massage his mother’s shoulder . His mother smiles and nodded in acceptation of their kindness .

Jihyo patted Gary a thank you before going back to the kitchen to finish off the cooking .

“ She’s really a nice girl “ his mother praises Jihyo .

“ Yes , yes she is “ he nodded in agreement . 


“ Dinner’s ready “ Jihyo called them as she put the bean sprout soup at the centre of the table . Gary and his mother then settled down facing each other while Jihyo was washing her hand , then she naturally settle down herself next to him . Gary thanked the two women for preparing the dinner before they start eating it .

“ This is really good “ Gary said as he savours the food in front of him , making his mother chuckled .

“ Jihyo made that one " his mother said , referring to the food that Gary currently munching up .

“ Ah , aniyo . You helped me with that , I don’t really know how to make that but thanks to your help it turns out well “ Jihyo said , making Gary’s mother laughed shyly .

“ She does the best in eating “ Gary suddenly said , teasing Jihyo . His mother laughed by her son sudden words , with that words Gary earn himself another hit from her . “ What do you mean by that ? “ Jihyo said .

“ Ah why ? Isn’t eating well is a good thing ? I’m praising you there . Here , eat some more “ Gary said as he put some meat on Jihyo’s plate , making Jihyo’s temper cooled down immediately , she mumbled out a sweet “ Thank you “ . Seeing how close the two were , Gary’s mother could feel a strange energy coming out from them , it’s like they’re dating .

“ Are you two really just a close friend ? “ she suddenly asked , making Jihyo froze while Gary choke a water . Jihyo only manage to let out an awkward smile as her mind went completely blank , by that she could only depends on Gary to clear things out .

“ ahh , actually . . we’re . . “ Gary said , Jihyo could sense that he will be spitting out their real relationship . Her hand quickly makes it way to his laps and give him a pinch to wake him up , Gary flinched and glance at her , understanding what does the pinch means .

“ We’re just really close friends omma . . really close “ he mumbled the last part as he glared at Jihyo .

“ ah really ? “ his mother said , slightly in a disappointed tone . In her mind , it would be good if both of them were really dating since in her eyes Jihyo is a nice girl , seeing how well they communicate with each other on the TV and even outside makes them look prefect for one another but it’s just too bad that they said that they were only a close friends .

After that they filled their dinner with much topic being talk about and most of them were about Gary’s childhood memories that was making Jihyo laughing for non-stop while Gary keep whining for his mom to stop because he was too embarrassed with it , but seeing how fun it was , his mother keep telling Jihyo about it . It was embarrassing but seeing how much fun Jihyo were having kinda loosen up the embarrassment that he was feeling “ well , if she likes it , why not ? “ he thought and laughed along .


After finish eating , Gary offers himself to wash the dishes and told both his mom and Jihyo to take a rest at the living room . Both of them didn’t hesitate of the idea since both were quite tired , but still not ready to call it a day yet . They continue to talk with each other at the living room , “ girls “ Gary thought as he washes the dishes .

“ Since you’re close with him , is Heegun seeing someone ? “ his mother suddenly asked , making Jihyo felt a little flustered . Of course he is , it’s her ! but since both her and Gary still decided to keep it as a secret first , she have to keep it as a secret even when she do feel kinda bad for lying in front of Gary’s own mother .

“ Oppa rarely talk things like that with me so I don’t really know , the thing that I know is that he’s really working hard on his music right now “ Jihyo said , making Gary’s mother sighed in worries .

“ That’s the thing that worries me the most , he’s so busy that sometimes he often forget about his own body . He is so into his work that sometimes he skipped meals , it’s not that I want him to stop , but it worries me since he’s still a human who could fall sick “ his mother whined , and Jihyo nodded in understand as she patted his mother’s hand . She really understand what Gary’s mother felt since she’s also worrying about the same thing .

“ Don’t worry omonim , I’ll make sure oppa eats well and live healthy ! “ Jihyo said with a cheerful voice , bringing up a smile on Gary’s mother’s lips again .

“ Aigoo , thank you very much Jihyo-shi . I feel a little better after you say that “ she said and hugged Jihyo .  

After a few minutes , Gary finished washing the dishes and joined them for a little talk before his mother excuses herself to the bathroom , giving the two some chance to be alone . Knowing that his mother were still around the house makes Jihyo felt a little awkward to be alone with Gary , so she decided to go to the balcony , saying that she wanted to feel some fresh air . Gary just chuckled since he somehow understand what she had on her mind  .

Gary wanted to follow her but he restraint himself since he doesn’t want to make things more awkward for her , especially when accident could happen by that time . They could be staying close with each other without realizing that his mother were watching , and being caught red handed is pretty embarrassing to both of them , who knows , things like that could happen . But seeing the way Jihyo’s hair were gracefully being blown by the cold breeze makes her more beautiful which is making things more hard for him , at that time he have this huge urge to just approach her and hugged her from behind before showering her with sweet kisses but still , he restraint himself by trying to look away .

Just after a few second of looking away , his eyes make it way back to her , he clenched his hand into a fist “ Ah I don’t know ! “ his heart yelled and with that , he stood up and approach her from her back , pulling her for a tight back hug and of course making Jihyo surprised and wanted him to let her go .

“ Oppa , what are you doing ? your mother is still here “ she said as she tries to free herself .

“ I really miss you “ he said softly and kissed her cheek , making her stop her struggle . Jihyo’s hand that was trying to push Gary off earlier are now gently caressing his hand that was circling her waist . Her awkward and nervous feeling  seems to disappeared for a moment and both her mind and body felt more relaxed thanks to his sweet touch , it’s amazed her all the time how much his simple touch could affect her in every way .

“ Oppa , you know that we could get into trouble if we’re caught like this right “ Jihyo said as she chuckled .

“ I know , but you’re just so beautiful that I couldn’t stop myself for not hugging you like this “ he said making Jihyo blushed .

Both had a good time enjoying each other’s sweet company while watching the beautiful scenery of the neighbourhood and feeling the cold breeze blowing to their skin . They stayed like that for just about 2 minutes , but it feels so long for them , it’s like the time had slowed down for them .

“ Heegun-ah ? “ his mother voice suddenly could be heard , making the two love birds jumped in surprise and quickly separated themselves from each other as they turn over to the source of voice . Fortunately his mother were nowhere in sight , making both heart feel relief . A few second later , his mother entered the living room and saw them together at the balcony , the nervous feeling came back as they thought that Gary’s mother will be suspicious of them . She walked towards them and the more she steps forward the faster their heart were beating .

“ Ah omonim , you should come here . The wind feels great ! Right oppa ? “ Jihyo said .

“ Really ? “ his mother said and went to join it , she breath in the air as soon as she steps outside . She took a deep breath before letting it go , her expression were clearly shows that she was relaxed at that time . She walked forward and leaned at the bar , standing between those two . “ this is really nice “ she mumbled and closed her eyes as she enjoys the night breeze .

They remained silent for a while , enjoying the scenery and the wind . It was a good silent moment for all of them .

“ Heegun-ah , just when will you get married ? You’re getting old “ his mother break the silence , her question makes Jihyo laugh while Gary felt a little burdened by the question .

“Ah omma , I shouldn’t be marrying just because of my age right ? “ he said and sighed .

“ Of course not but what about my age Heegun-ah ? Before I die , I really wanted to see you find a nice girl , get married , build a wonderful family and of course , if could I would really like to play with your future kids “ she whined .

Omma , why are you saying like that huh ? Don’t worry , I’ll make sure you live long enough to see me like that “ Gary replied and put his hand over her mom’s shoulder , pulling her closer .

“ You can’t control my death you know “ she mumbled , slightly making Gary’s heart hurt .

“ but I can help you live long by taking care of your health right ? “ he replied , making his mother chuckled and felt touched by her son’s words .

“ Don’t worry omma , I’m sure I’ll find a really nice girl “ he continue and took a glance at Jihyo who was already looking at him . He smiled lovingly towards her , “ a very nice one “ he mumbled .

“ I really hope so “ his mother said and patted Gary’s hand .

After spending another minute on the balcony , all of them decided to come inside since it’s getting cold . Jihyo glanced at the clock and it’s almost 11pm , so she decided that it’s time for her to go home . Gary’s mother told her to wait for a few minutes so that she could give her some food for her to eat at home .

“ There’s no need for that omonim “ Jihyo refuses but his mother insisted that she should take some home .

“ Take it home , you’re lazy too cook in the morning . You can just reheated it and eat it as your breakfast “ Gary said , and finally Jihyo agreed .

With that , she excuses herself for that night .

“ It’s really nice to meet you Jihyo-shi , thank you for helping me today and thank you for being good to my son . I really hope we’ll meet again soon “ his mother said and gives Jihyo a hug . After bidding a goodbye to Gary’s mother , Gary offered himself to sent Jihyo to her car since it could be dangerous for her , other than that , it was also an excuse so that he could spend some more time with her .

“ it seems your mom really wanted you to get married “ Jihyo joked as they walked towards her car , Gary just let out a sigh and nodded .

“ I know what it feels like , my mom always ask me about marriage too . “ she continue .

“ but I don’t think I’m ready yet “ she said , Gary nodded in agreement .

They arrived at her car .

“ I’ll get going now oppa . Thank you for sending me here “ Jihyo said and opened her car door but Gary stopped her . “ wait “ he said and walked closer to her , he hold her by the waist and pulled her closer to him making their face just an inch away . Slowly he moves forwards , touching her sweet soft lips with him for a kiss .

“ I’ve been dying to kiss you for today “ he softly mumbled when their lips parted away , making Jihyo’s cheeks blushes in bright pink . Gary chuckled when he saw how cute she is .

“ I should go now , I’ve a schedule tomorrow morning “ she said .

“ Arasso “ Gary nodded .

“ Good night oppa “

“ Good night Jihyo-ah . Saranghae “ he said , and Jihyo just smiled and rolled up her car’s window .

Gary keep his eyes on her car as she drove further , when her car finally were out of sight , he makes his way back to his apartment . 


So how's this chapter going ? I hope it's good . Sorry for the late update , I've been quite busy . Anyway , Happy 38th Birthday again to our Mr Gae ! <3

P/s Sorry if there any wrong spelling or grammatical errors .

Written by , 
Mc_HyoRy2