Third Wheel

Modern Cinderella

Myungsoo couldn't sleep the whole night, thinking about his feelings towards Hye Rin. He badly wanted to confessed and pour out all of his feelings to her. However, the possibilty of rejection was present. What if she don't feel the same way as I do? Our contract will be breached and I can't see her again. No, I shouldn't confess now. Myungsoo remembered vividly the last rule in the contract. 

7. She cannot fall in love with Myungsoo.

why did I made that stupid rule. Screw this. Myungsoo ruffled his hair in frustration. This was the first time he was working up over a girl. Usually, all the girls would be dying for him to return their feelings and there he was working up as he was afraid that Hye Rin is going to reject him. She's definitely different that the others and that was what made me attracted to her in the first place. Myungsoo sighed for the nth time and got up to ready for work. He went down without wearing his tie as he knew Hye Rin willl be picking out his tie for him. It had already been their habit ever since then. Myungsoo sat down and began eating his breakfast after uttering a quick good morning to Hye Rin who was in the kitchen. Hye Rin then settled down infront of him, all ready for work and began to eat her breakfast too. 

Myungsoo looked up and noticed that Hye Rin looked normal, no sign of tiredness or drowsiness. He inwardly sighed and continued eating his breakfast in silence. Truthfully, Hye Rin too couldn't sleep as she was pondering on the same matter as Myungsoo. Only that she was able to cover up her eyebags skillfully as she had went through the same thing for her scars and bruises. Didn't know that it could be of good use huh. 

Hye Rin as per usual finished her breakfast first and chose Myungsoo's tie to work. She went down and saw Myungsoo washing the dishes. She gasped and stopped Myungsoo. Myungsoo looked up questioningly. 

"What are you doing? You're going to get your suit dirty," Hye Rin said.

Myungsoo shook his head, " You've been doing the housework and I've done nothing. Me washing the dishes wouldn't bother you right? And don't worry about my suit. I've got lots of suits so ruining one doesn't matter." 

Hye Rin gaped and almost spitted out that her doing the housework was part of the rules but couldn't get it out of as she saw how sincere Myungsoo was. What is wrong with him today. She slowly let go of Myungsoo's arm. Without a second thought, Hye Rin rushed toward Myungsoo's room and chose a new coat that matched with his pants and tie. She went out and gave it to Myungsoo who was drying her sleeves by flicking it upside down.

" That's not going to work, smarty pants," Hye Rin chuckled. She handed him the coat and Myungsoo smiled gratefully at her before slipping it on. Hye Rin then put on Myungsoo's tie that matched with his suit that day. Myungsoo looked down in admiration at the woman infront of him. She could do the housework, her fashion sense was indescribable (in a good way) and she was very kind and considerate. She is the perfect wife. Myungsoo chuckled inwardly at his thought.

Soon, they set off to work. The minute they entered the company, they had to part ways. Unknowingly, Myungsoo wished that he had applied Hye Rin as his secretary instead. However, his secretary was too good to be thrown away. 

"Sir, your schedules for today are....." a man, in his forties, said. He was Myungsoo's secretary. Myungsoo secretary, Mr Seong, was Myungsoo's father figure in life. Mr Seong was the one who replaced Mr Kim who was unable to tend to Myungsoo as a proper father. He was there when Myungsoo fell, felt sad or happy and needed advice. And now Myungsoo needed advice. 

The minute they entered Myungsoo's office, "Mr Seong, I think I'm in love. No, I don't think, I know. I know I'm in love."

Myungsoo slumped down on his office chair, depressed. Mr Seong chuckled and said, "And it must be Hye Rin-sshi that you have fallen for, am I right sir?"

Myungsoo looked up surprised.How- As if reading his mind, "Its obvious Myungsoo-ah. The way you look at her is the exact same way I look at my wife. Whyy don't you tell her? I'm pretty sure she would be very thrilled."

Myungsoo shooked his head,"I can't. I made a rule saying that she cannot fall in love with me. If I tell her that I love her, it would contradict the contract and what if she doesn't like me back? I wouldn't be able to see her again."

Mr Seong shooked his head at Myungsoo's words. It was typical of Myungsoo to do up a contract. Mr Seong couldn't help but laugh at Myungsoo's situation. 

"Well, the contract specifically said that Hye Rin-sshi cannot fall in love with you. However, it didn't state that you cannot fall in love with her. Why use that to an advantage instead? And I'm pretty sure that she harbors the same feelings as you Myungsoo-ah. Anybody can see that you guys are totally in love with each other," Mr Seong explained thoroughly.

Myungsoo jumped up as Mr Seong words sink in. He clicked his fingers together. Why didn't I thought of that in the first place? And Hye Rin can never resist me. I bet me confessing to her is her total dream come true. Of course, Myungsoo's cockiness will never disappear.

Myungsoo rushed towards Mr Seong and hugged him tightly. " Thank you so much Mr Seong. I can never live without you. Please clear all of my meetings and appointments today. I'm not coming into office today. Wish me luck!" Myungsoo exclaimed as he exited his office. Mr Seong chuckled and shooked his head. He took out his phone and phoned someone.

" Sir, everything is going to plan. I can tell Myungsoo is very excited. The only thing left for us to do is to pray that Hye Rin-sshi accepts Myungsoo feelings," Mr Seong said.

" Well, thank you Mr Seong for being there for Myungsoo while I wasn't there. This is the only way I can repay Myungsoo the times that I wasn't there for him. Please update me if there any progression," the person on the other line said. Mr Seong nodded his head and ended the call, I'm doing this for your own good Myungsoo-ah.

In the meantime, Hye Rin was busy doing her work. Suddenly, her phone rang. Hye Rin hastily picked up her phone without looking at the caller ID."Yes, Park Hye Rin speaking," she answered. She balanced her phone in between her right ear and shoulder while she continued doing her work. 

"Why so formal, Rinnie ah. This is your beloved oppa, Minhwa. Still remember me?" the person on the other line said. Hye Rin gasped and almost lost her grip on her phone. 

"Minhwa oppa?! Its been seven years since I've seen you. The last time I saw you was when you- ah nevermind, when did you came back from America?" Hye Rin said, cutting her sentence in the middle.

"I'll tell you all about it once we meet up okay? Are you free now?" Minhwa asked. Hye Rin sighed and her shoulders immediately slumped down. 

"I can't. I've got mountain of files to be checked and signed. A new project is coming up so I will have to check on the budget and all," Hye Rin replied, saddened by the fact that she was unable to meet up soon with Minhwa. 

"Hey,what about I wait till you finish work? I've got a lot of time oon my hands now so its no biggie," Minhwa inquired.

"Are you sure you will be okay? Hm, alright then. I'll call you when I get off work," Hye Rin said. Soon, they ended the call and Hye Rin returned back to work, still psyched that her closest childhood friend was here. A few hours later, Hye Rin was already switching off the lights of her office and was dialling Minhwa's number. They conversed a while and decided to meet up at the famous restaurant at Myeongdong. Hye Rin smiled the whole way while she was driving her car to the designated location.

If you guys are wondering about Myungsoo, well don't worry because he's right here. I mean at his apartment. The whole apartment was covered in dim light and there was an exquisite candlelight dinner being served on the dining table. Rose petals were scattered on the floor and a linguring scent of perfume hung in the air. Myungsoo was sitting down on the sofa gripping on his phone as if his life depended on it. He was so nervous that beads of sweat were starting to form on the tips of his hairline. Myungsoo quickly wiped them off and the air conditioner. Myungsoo knew that around this time, Hye Rin has gotten off from work as pertained from his sources. However, one hour later, she was still not in sight. Myungsoo's perspiration has stopped but his heart was still beating as fast as before.

Myungsoo slowly walked towards the dining table and peered down on the scrumptious food that was ordered and specially made by the finest chefs in the country. Myungsoo sighed and his stomach began to quealch uneasy. No, not because of hunger, but because of the fact that his surprise confession event was all ready and prepared but the lady who was suppoed to receive the confession was nowhere to be found. He mustered up the courage to call Hye Rin's phone. However, it was unavailable. Myngsoo groaned and ruffled his hair in frustration. Where the is she? Why the hell is she missing today of all days? Myungsoo looked at the clock and decided to wait for ten more minutes before the clock striked twelve. He went back to his previous position on the couch and waited. 

Hye Rin, in the meanwhile was chatting and catching up with Minhwa. "Remember, that time you fell and cried so hard?" Minhwa laughed reminscing the old times. Hye Rin frowned and smacked Minhwa's arm, "Yah! You didn't even helped! You were laughing your of instead." Minhwa chuckled once again and said, "Hey, if you were in my place, I'm pretty sure you would laugh too!" Hye Rin smiled and shooked her head. She brought her wrist up and glanced at the time. 

"Oh my god, it's already twelve! I gotta get home right away," Hye Rin exclaimed. She suddenly remembered of Myungsoo and immediately panicked. Minhwa was about to protest but when he saw Hye Rin's pnaic-stricken face, he sighed.

"Yeah it's late. Why not I send you home?" Minhwa offered. Hye Rin was about to protest but Minhwa grabbed her arm and forced her in his car. Hye Rin chuckled and shook her head.

Soon, they arrived at Hye Rin's (Myungsoo's) apartment lobby. "Thanks a lot for today, Minhwa. I really missed you" Hye Rin wistfully said. Minhwa looked up and said, "I still love you."

Hye Rin looked up alarmed. No, it can't be- "Yes, my feelings for you from seven years ago has not faded. Instead, it grew stronger every minute when I was apart from you. I know that you have rejected me seven years ago. But, I came back to ask you again, will you love me back?" Minhwa confessed, lookking at Hye Rin expectantly.

Hye Rin gaped. She was speechless. She wondered how painful it must have been for him to love her all this while while being apart from her. Hye Rin immediately felt pity towards him. However, her feelings for him will never change as it was from seven years ago. Minhwa was like a brother to her , no more. Hye Rin shooked her head, "Oppa, even after all these years, My answer will always stay the same. I'm sorry."

Hye Rin looked down and immediately looked down and exited the car. Minhwa's face tensed and he clenched his fists in anger. In frustration, Minhwa punched the steering wheel. I'm going to win you back Hye Rin.