Because I Like You

Modern Cinderella

Park Hye Rin sighed as she gazed out of the storeroom window reminiscing about her wonderful past with her parents. Oh how she wished she could get back to those times where she need not had to worry about anything. She smiled wistfully as she realized that she could not turn back time. 

"Park Hye Rin, you idiot! You didn't clean the living room windows thoroughly!" the shout brought Park Hye Rin back to reality. She shuffled her feet out of the storeroom towards the kitchen to grab a bucket of water and a rag. Once in the living room, there on the sofa sitting very arrogantly with heads up high were her stepmother and stepsister, Madam Park and Park So Jin. Madam Park glared at Park Hye Rin. That was enough to make Park Hye Rin walked briskly towards the windows. She began doing her job with her step-family watching her every move especially Madam Park. She was watching her like a hawk trying to catch any mistake that Hye Jin might make. 

Suddenly, Park So Jin stood up abruptly. She stomped and smirked secretly towards Hye Rin. Without any hesitation, So Jin kicked the bucket full of dirty water and walked away as if nothing happened. The bucket hit Hye Rin's leg and the impact caused her legs to give out and she fell on the floor. Not only was she drenched in dirty water, her legs was aching and she was sure that it would leave a bruise. Madam Park laughed and walked away from the living room along with her daughter. Hye Rin sighed for the nth time today and stood up with difficulties.

"You better clean the mess before I come down for dinner!" screamed Madam Park. Hye Rin nodded her head as if Madam Park was there. In the next few minutes, she was done with cleaning the spill and continued cleaning the windows. Without her noticing, her stepbrother, Park Jimin, was descending the stairs while observing Hye Rin. 

Hye Rin was tiptoeing to reach the upper side of the window to get rid of the dirt. She stretched her arms and tried unsuccessfully. Suddenly, Hye Rin lost her balance and felt like the world was spinning. Gravity pulled her down to the ground, bottom-first. A thud was heard and Hye Rin groaned in pain. Ji Min's first instinct was to rush over and help her up. However, he managed to held himself back and stood still on the last step of the stairs. 

"Are you okay?" Ji Min asked with only a slight hint of concern in his tone. Hye Rin looked up and widened her eyes.She quickly scrambled up and bowed to him as a sign that she was fine. Ji Min knew that she was lying but paid no attention to it and walked away towards the kitchen. Hye Rin rubbed her back when Ji Min was not in sight. It felt sore and she was unable to walk properly. However she just brushed it off and continued her work.

Jimin observed her from the kitchen and sighed. He felt a pang of regret for not helping her up just now. He smacked his head a couple of times and kept muttering to himself. He glanced up and softened when he saw Hye Rin tiptoeing once again to wipe the windows. Oh how cute, Ji Min mused. 

A few hours later, dinner was served on the table for the whole family. If you thought that they would share the meal as a family, boy you are wrong. She was only allowed to eat after the three of them has eaten and as she had no time to cook more food for herself, she had to eat the leftovers before she continues cleaning the whole house. After the three of them left the dining table, Hye Rin helped herself with the leftovers. She smiled when she saw Ji Min's plate. It was half full of vegetables and meat. All these years living with them, Ji Min was the only one who would show concern to her even in the smallest ways. Hye Rin quickly ate the leftovers and cleaned up the dining table.

Upstairs, Ji Min was laying on his bed facing the ceiling. His mind was full of thoughts of school and friends and it soon drifted away towards Hye Rin. A smile was plastered on his face as Hye Rin came to his mind. He had only seen Hye Rin's genuine smile once and the picture was always stuck in his head. He longed to see the smile on her face again. When asked why, there were many reasons swimming around his head. But only one of them stood out among the other reasons. Because I like you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

So basically, the first chapter is about Hye Rin's daily life. If you guys are wondering when Myung Soo will come out, do wait for the next chapter where Myung Soo's father will express his thoughts on Myung Soo being single.

Do subscribe and comment on what you think about our story so far. Also, do give us some feedbacks so that we can improve on our writing. Thank you!!!! 

- palinxc , atiqxh