• 40 Days

70 DAYS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Lia” I heard mom call me from downstairs. She never interrupted me whilst studying, this was the first time. I shut my booklet close, put it away and went downstairs with a questioning look on my face.

“Yes mom” I said, as I stepped on the last stair and faced her.

She had a cup of coffee in her hand, and her reading glasses, she probably was doing some work before she called me. The visible dark circles under her eyes told me how exhausted she was.

“Lia, come sit please.” She said her arms crossed on her chest, as she moved to sit on the couch along with me.

She took of her glasses and I wondered how much concealer she used per day to cover up her dark circles.

“You know you had a session today, right?” she asked sending me a disapproving look.

Oh God I totally forgot that.

“I-I’m sorry mom.” I said looking down at my hands trying to show her that I was sorry through body language.

“I don’t want you to be sorry Lia.” “I book those sessions for your own health.”

Again, I thought. I did not blame her for getting mad, she had every right to, paying hundreds of dollars per week to this useless sessions, just so I can stabilize myself.

 The thing is I thought, there’s no need, not anymore.

“I’m perfectly happy mom, can’t you see?” I stood up motioning my body. “I’m smiling now mom.” I showed her my smiling lips. This was a discussion I started several times with my mom. I was stressed, extremely stressed. But since Kai appeared back in my life, I’ve been handling it better than ever, and I wanted these sessions to come to an end so I could have more time to study and spend with Kai.

“I know that this boyfriend of yours makes you happy and I really appreciate it, but that doesn’t mean you can just skip your sessions.” “We decided on the number of sessions you will take last semester didn’t we?” she pointed out.

“Yes we did,” “But..”

She raised one brow, confidently, indicating that she was one point above me.

“No buts Lia. This isn’t only about your exam stress. You’ve changed since… since last year and I don’t want anything to be like how it was then. I need you to understand that you need this, regardless of who you have a around you to support.” She explained.

I felt my face burn from anger but I tried my best to stay calm as I talked.

“No, mom you don’t understand, I don’t need this anymore. I’m okay, I’m healthy, and mom I’m finally happy”

“Don’t try to trick yourself Lia, we both know the truth.”

I snapped.

“What is the truth mom?” I said my eyes turning into slits.

She scrubbed her face with her hand, ruffling her hair, and just by that I knew how much this bothered her. She looked at my face with an unsure look on her face.

“The truth is Lia, you still rip off your hair from stress. The truth is, you still don’t look at the photos of your dad. The truth is, when you get a lower score than usual, you cry in your room, telling yourself that you are a failure and that your dad wouldn’t be proud of you.”

I felt my ears getting redder, if that’s even possible, due to utter embarrassment. She knew it all, she knew everything.

“And the biggest truth is, you walked around like a ghost around my house for months just because that boy you tell that makes you happy left you.”

My breathing hitched audibly. The look on her face softened, she almost looked pained. She came closer and took me into her motherly arms. Sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter