Chapter 26

We Got Married: YoonYul
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Episode 23

 

Yoona didn’t mind the childish decorations of the letter in front of her; if these decorations weren’t in place, it wouldn’t be Yuri’s. From a woman who still makes sure to put all her coloured markings and stickers on her drama script… Yoona expects to see her letter like this too. Nonetheless, Yoona’s attention is pretty much fixated onto Yuri’s embarrassed expression in front of her; the woman in charge of iness on their team is resembling nothing but a puppy. She can't hide her attraction to the black pearl in the least; then again, who wouldn't be attracted to someone like Yuri?

Kind heart. Hardworking. Full of empathy. Not a pushover anymore.

These are all qualities that Yuri has developed over some time, and it makes Yoona adore the tanned woman more.

“Um... shall I go first?”

“Aigoo, so shy,” Yoona teased, waving her letter in front of Yuri’s face. She burst out laughing when Yuri whined and swatted her hand away; Yuri always looks cuter when she's receiving the teasing instead of giving. Yoona relented when she saw the pout on Yuri’s face, “Alright, fine… I’m sorry! You can go first if you want.”

Yuri gulped, trying to stop blushing so hard at the mere mention of the letter. She put her entire soul into it and she hoped Yoona would be able to see beyond that instead of just laughing. Every word in the letter was written with Yuri's heart on her sleeve, with almost a hundred percent testimonial of how she fell for Yoona with time. She didn’t know if it was safe to be so honest in a reality show where people would know everything but Taeyeon’s words made the most sense. Whether honest or not, the audience will take it as it’s only for the show.

So, while Yuri can gather herself to be brave about her true feelings, she will express herself to the best of her ability. It’s a big consolation that Yoona will not when she finally gets the message.

“To the black pearl of the century,” Yuri croaked out, goosebumps forming on the surface atop her skin. She, however, couldn’t stop the stupid grin crawling up her face when she spotted the next words. “I’d like to tell you about how much more I like you ever since we began dating.”

Yoona clasped her fingers together and rested her arms on the table, watching with a relaxed posture as Yuri continued to read her letter. She knows the following days after their marriage will only get better after tonight's events; expressing feelings always makes things easier to face when there are problems.

“I must admit that I was skeptical about this, because we all know you’re the nation’s daughter-in-law and you get close with many people quickly. I… I didn’t know if it was a good idea because we’re in the same group and who knows? People might not like the idea of us getting married like other couples do, y’know? We are a pretty special couple, Yul.

Although I'm a younger than you and I might not have been through as many things as you, I completely understand why you were afraid of this. We both have had a bad patch, and our friendship went downhill for a period of time. The funny thing is; I still feel your sincerity whenever we're out, whether there are cameras or not. Many people say that this is scripted and whatnot, but the fact is that my feelings for you are not fake - and they're still in the midst of growing.

I want to thank you. I want to make it up to you. I just want to make you happy, because you'd do the same for me without hesitation at all. I've listened to unnies' and maknae's words... I know they were disappointed in the both of us, but I also know they're confident that things are going to change. I am too. I hope you are because we're going to make more memories together, not as friends but a married couple. Thank you, Yuri... and um, I really really like you.”

Did she actually write that?

The doe-eyed woman palmed her forehead and groaned into her hands; it sounded a lot better in her head than when it sounded when it was written down. Her entire face turned red.

Yuri pretty much adored the letter, knowing Yoona's entire soul was in it too. She could tell Yoona hesitated to write everything down but the sense of admiration was clearly penned down. Her heart felt so warm and well, practically melting in response to Yoona's letter. No matter what Yoona does for her now, it will always be Yuri's favourite list of things. Yes, life will always be tough with the media because of their try-hard ways to make news out of nothing but Yuri preferred to look at the positive sight of things – Yoona will be with her all the way.

“So cute, Yoong. So cute.”

“Shut up, Yuri,” Yoona mumbled in embarrassment.

Yuri carefully folded the letter and took out her wallet, sliding it into a compartment separate from everything else. She chortled at the sight of the baby blue paper sticking out a little; that letter will be by her side no matter what happens. The meaning behind it is so precious. Not to mention, Yoona's current image will remain in Yuri's mind forever too. It's not every day Yuri gets to see the visual of many generations; one that people see as a cool but top-tier woman, and even men can't be compatible with her.

Yoona cleared nervously, “is it my turn now?”

“Oh, yes.” Yuri wriggled her eyebrows playfully, resting her face on both her palms like a child ready to receive her gift. She had prepared a big pack of tissues in her the pocket of her jacket but her tears didn't even flow, her heart had leapt in happiness instead. “Please continue, Madam Im.”

The bundle of nerves messing with Yoona's mind must have been huge because Yoona didn't even smack Yuri for that remark. Yuri can't stop the butterflies in her tummy although Yoona is calmly seated there without anything in particular; oh for goodness sakes, the latter doesn't even have heavy make-up on. It is also moments like this instance that makes Yuri wonder why people are so insistent on Yoona having to compete with other people for visuals. A close to almost bare face and almost reaching the age of 30? Still one of the most beautiful people.

Yuri just gets luckier and luckier, doesn't she?

“To the only woman who I’ll ever call mine,” Yoona choked up at that line alone, tears beginning to cloud her vision. She can’t believe how much she has missed just by making one wrong decision in the past. “I’m not perfect but I’ll try my damn hardest to be as perfect as you are, because we’ll be compatible that way. It's going to be difficult, and it's probably a challenge but... have faith in me.

We've known each other for so many years; ever since we were in high school and up till now. Yet, I feel like we're getting to know one another all over again and in different ways possible. There are so many things that I've learnt about you, Yoong, and these things give me encouragement to know you inside out once more. Your likes, dislikes; pet peeves, favourite activities; the things you want me to change or keep. I want to everything you want in a person but I also want you to see me for who I am.”

Yoona had to pause towards the last paragraph of the long letter because of how fast her tears were flowing down her cheeks, pouting when Yuri started to laugh at her. She didn’t expect to be this much of a mess either since the letter looked like a light-hearted one. “Stop laughing at me… pass me a tissue before it gets messier!” Yoona whined, looking nothing short of an adorable child. She's not just making Yuri smile, she's practically tugging on the black pearl's weak heart strings.

“Aigoo… take your time, Yoong.”

This letter event alone has been a luxury for Yuri; confessions that Yuri gets to see and that cute expression on Yoona’s face – it’s nothing but a bonus. She enjoys seeing their progress in her mind; something like painting a picture of their future together. Though with that determined gaze in Yoona's doe eyes and her clenched fists around the letter, Yuri knows that tonight won't end as long as Yoona hasn't finished reading the letter in front of everyone.

“This marriage will work out fine and I know it, because you’ve been getting used to this whole arrangement. We’re well beyond the line of just best friends, and it’s an achievement for me already. With everything that we’ve been through together, I just hope you’re happy.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter