Chapter 5

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Mokpo, South Korea.]

 

~ Donghae’s POV ~

 

 

“Dad, why can’t you accompany me? Please, go with me just this once. Aren’t you happy that I’m finally achieving our dream together?” I asked my father. We were in the bus station because I will be going to the Seoul to finally sign the contract in SM.

 

“I’m so proud of you son, but I can’t take a leave today at work. I’m already upset that I can’t go with you… but I’m comforting myself with the fact that you are now closer to becoming a singer,” he said with a kind smile.

 

“Okay dad, I understand. But promise me, on my debut you will be there right?” I asked him before I board the bus that will take me to the city.

 

“I will. I promise that I will be the proudest father when you stand onstage,” he said and he waved goodbye to me. I waved back to him and went to find a seat in the bus.

 

I can’t help but feel excited because it is my first time to be alone in the city. I am also excited to be a trainee at SM. I heard that it is hard to be trainee. I know that I will be facing trials but I’m not discouraged because this is not only my dream but also my fathers’.

 

Mokpo is five hours away from Seoul by bus so maybe I would be staying in the dorms once I start training. I can’t possibly be commuting everyday for five hours right?

 

I fell asleep while on the way and in hours I was finally in Seoul. As I step my foot on land I felt the excitement and happiness that awaits me here. I can feel that my future is really bright here. It is where my dreams will come true.

 

I arrived at the SM building an hour earlier than the scheduled time so I decided to take some snacks in the cafeteria. I saw some trainees on the way. Most of them were older than me, probably the senior trainees who will soon debut.

 

I bought a cup of coffee and sat on one of the empty seats while waiting for me to be called by the staff. I was sipping my coffee when I noticed the boy standing at the hallway. He looks familiar to me.

 

I stared at him trying to remember where I had seen him first. Oh right, he is my fellow winner in the contest. I forgot that we will sign the contract together today.

 

Smiling, I decided to approach him. We will see each other more often now that we will be trainees together so it is just right to make friends now.

 

“Hi! You’re the one who won together with me right?” I asked him.

 

He looked at me surprised but was quickly recovered himself and put on a smile. “Yeah, I’m glad you remembered.”

 

“Of course, but I only recognized your face. You know, I was in a daze when they announced the winners. I can’t believe I won,” I said.

 

“Me too. Until now I can’t believe I’m here in SM,” he said. “I guess we need to introduce ourselves properly. I’m Lee Sungmin,” he extends his hands to me.

 

In return I also shook his hands as I said,” I’m Lee Donghae.”

 

“Wow. We have the same surname too. Where do you come from?” he asked.

 

“I live in Mokpo. I’m an 86 liner.”

 

“We’re the same in age though I’m born in January. Your home is far, do you plan on living in the dorms?”

 

“Yeah, probably I’m continuing my studies here also. I can’t possibly go back home every day.”

 

“Hmmm. I am also thinking of living in the dorms. I want to be independent from my family, but I’m still thinking of it.”

 

“There is an unexplainable feeling in living by yourself but sometimes you will also miss your home.”

 

He nodded and then a staff suddenly called the two of us. He led us into the office where the SM representatives were waiting for us for the contract signing. He explained us everything we needed to know during our trainee life here in SM and the two of us listened eagerly.

 

Finally after the hour-long meeting we were now official trainees in SM. “On Monday you can start your regular day here after your classes. And Donghae, I suggest that you transfer in SM dorms for convenience,” one of the staffs said.

 

“Yes sir, I would prepare to leave when I go back home today,” I said.

 

“Okay, congratulations to the two of you. I hope one day I will see you debut onstage,” he smiled at us.

 

After that he excused himself leaving the two of us in daze. “I’m so excited to learn new things here,” Sungmin said.

 

“Yeah, it feels like were at a new school,” I looked at him. “Do you have something to do today?”

 

“None, I’m free today wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter