Chapter 19

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~ Eunhyuk’s POV ~

 

“I can’t believe you’re finally leaving us,” my sister said for the nth time since I broke out the news to them that I will transfer to the dorms. I smiled unconsciously, thinking about that moment. It happened just last week after I finished practice. Seunghwan hyung cornered me and asked me when I will be able to transfer to the dorms.

 

“What do you mean sir?” I asked confused.

 

He noticed my facial expression and concluded that I wasn’t informed yet. “I see, sunbae forgot to tell you. You’re one of the trainees chosen for that project group Hyukjae-ssi. I guess you need to live in the dorms now for easy access.”

 

I was stuck speechless when I heard him. I just stared at him not knowing how to react. He patted my shoulders gently and asked if I understood him.

 

“Sir, are you sure you’re talking about me?”I asked.

 

“Of course, Hyukjae. Congratulations, by the way you’re not yet answering my question,” he said with a small smile.

 

Finally I absorbed the good news so I absent-mindedly hugged the manager. “Hyung! Thank you so much! I’m so happy!” I said without realizing how inappropriate our position was. Manager only hug me briefly before I released him. “Sir, give me until next week to move in the dorms,” I said promising him.

 

I felt giddy knowing that this time my dreams will be coming true. It is different from the last time that I was in a project group. I can feel that in this one I will surely stand onstage. They wouldn’t ask all of us to move in one dorm if they are not serious. I mean, this dorm is not the ones used for the trainees. It is a small apartment where the members including the managers will live together.

 

“You’re already ignoring me now, how much when you’re finally a celebrity? You’re abandoning your only sister,” Sora pouted while watching me pack my stuff.

 

“Huh? What are talking about?” I said pulling out from my daydream.

 

“Yah! You’re not paying attention to your noona. I said you’re abandoning us now,” she said sulking. I smiled, she’s like this since I won’t be around to annoy her or vice versa. “Aww... you’ll miss me right?” I said pinching her cheeks.

 

“No way. It’s good that you’re gone. I will finally live in peace,” she pushed my hands away and tried to frown.

 

“Stop lying. I know you love me,” I said flashing my gummy smile which never fails to annoy her. “Come on, enjoy it now while I’m here!” I laughed.

 

“Yahh! Stop it. It’s annoying!,” she yelled.

 

“Why are you kids yelling at this time of the day?” During our bickering we didn’t notice mom as she stood by the door. “Here are your clothes Hyukjae-ah. I washed it thinking that you want to bring these too,” she said giving me a pile of clothes.

 

“Thanks mom. You see, noona is sulking here because I will be leaving soon. She doesn’t want to admit that she’ll miss me,” I told her.

 

“I really don’t mom --” she insisted.

 

Mom just laughed at us. “You two, when will you grow up? You’re just like little kids always fighting,” mom said sitting down the chair. “I still remember those times when I see both of you hugging each other,”

 

“It is his entire fault. He likes to annoy me,” noona said.

 

“Because you’re also annoying,” I replied.

 

“You’re both growing up fast. I wonder when will be the time that both of you will finally leave me and your dad to start your own family. It’s like yesterday when I held you both in my arms as babies,” mom ignored our bickering and started reminiscing our childhood days. I know she is sad that I’m moving out but she understands the reason. Also, I’m doing this for them. I want to help my family to rise up from poverty.

 

I went behind my mom and hugged her from the back tightly. “Mom, I’ll visit home every week. As much as I can with my schedule.” I said softly, promising to myself to call at home every night.

 

“You don’t need to do that especially when you’re too tired. I understand it. Just promise me that you will take care of yourself. Always,” she took me hand and held it tight.

 

“I will mom. I’m always taking care of myself,” I promised. And I saw my sister smile from my peripheral vision.”I have my hyungs with me. They are good hyungs mom.”

 

“I’m glad you are with your close friends. At least I know that you get along with your members well. Someday I want to meet them in person,”

 

“I’m sure you will be able to meet them in the future mom. Jungsoo hyung is the oldest among us and I think they will appoint him as the leader. There’s also Donghae who’s the same age as me. We’re best of friends,” I smiled thinking how happy I am to be with my friends. I may not be in the same group as Junsu, but I will soon follow his footsteps.

 

“That’s good to hear. And I hope you’ll be reviewing for your exams. It’s less than two months from now,” she reminded me.

 

“Of course mom. I will still finish my studies. They know that we’re still students so I’m sure they will give us day offs too,”

 

“Okay then, finish packing now and come to eat breakfast before leaving. I prepared your favorite. Sora, come and help me set the table,” she said and both of them left me alone. Suddenly I felt sad. It’s really real. I’m leaving home and facing the outside world by myself.

 

Will I be brave enough to face every problem I encounter?

 

 

*             *             *

 

~ Yesung’s POV ~

 

“Son, are you finished? Come downstairs to eat,” my mom called me as I zipped my bag. I’m done packing my clothes last night and now I’m putting my school stuffs in one bag before I go. Today will be the day I will move in the dorms. Not the SM dorm actually but a small apartment where me and my group mates will live together.

 

I was informed by the managers a few weeks ago. I was so happy when I learned that I will be in a project group for the first time since I became a trainee. However, as much as I am happy with this good news, I hesitated to tell my father about it. He is strongly against my musical career.

 

I told my mom first and she is very happy for me. I wish it is the same for my father. I had to ask my mom to tell him instead but she said that I should be the one to talk to him. The night I finally told him, we had screaming fight and since then we hadn’t talked to each other.

 

No matter what I do he is still against it so I decided to continue it. Who knows one day he accepts his son being a celebrity? I hope so.

 

I walked downstairs to eat breakfast. My younger brother was already sitting down and eating while my mother is cooking something on the stove. “Hyung, come let’s eat. I woke up early today for you,” he said.

 

Smiling, I ruffled his hair. “Will you miss me? Don’t worry, soon you will see your hyung on the tv,” I joked.

 

“But I thought the preparations will take months? You need to learn dancing first,” he teased.

 

“Excuse me? You’re underestimating your hyung. You haven’t seen me dance yet,”

 

“Mom said you always sing in your monthly evaluation,”

 

“But that doesn’t mean that I can only sing,” I defended. “Mom, I have been attending dance lessons these previous months,” I turned to her.

 

“Hmmm... I forgot to tell him about it dear. Eat quickly; your manager may fetch you any minute now,” she replied.

 

I nodded and focused on eating. Many thoughts had been bothering me since last night. The excitement of living on my own, sadness of leaving my home, nervousness at the same time happiness of being chosen in a project group – all of these bothered me. I’m twenty year old and yet it’s the first time that I will be away from my mom.

 

I looked at my younger brother and then to my mom trying to cherish this memory of them. I will miss them and I probably wouldn’t be seeing them often starting today. I kind of expected that my father wouldn’t see me before I leave. My mom must have noticed me and read my mind.

 

“Your father left early for work. They are so busy right now but I think he wants to say goodbye to you too,” she said. I knew she’s trying to comfort me and cover up for my father. But I still felt bad about it.

 

I only smiled faintly at her. “I understand mom,”

 

“Your father will understand it someday. Just give him some time. Don’t worry about it, we and Jongjin will take care of it,”

 

“Mom’s right hyung. I will be your number one fan and I will make sure to tell stories about you to dad until he gets tired hearing about it,” my dongsaeng smiled brightly.

 

For the first time that day, I smiled sincerely. I’m still thankful that I have people that support me. “Thank you mom, thank you Jongjin-ah. I’ll work hard to be better. I promise,”

 

I left home that day with a heavy heart knowing that I didn’t said goodbye to one person. He is still my father so I respect him even if I’m we are not close to each other. I have my worries but I tried to conceal it from manager hyung when he came to our house after breakfast.

 

To forget my worries, I tried to think about the excitement of living together with my friends. It thrills me to know that I and my group mates will be living together with the TVXQ members and their manager. Manager hyung only informed me today about it and I’m really excited to see them after a long time. Yunho and the others were too busy since their debut that we rarely see them. It’s true that once you debut it is hard to control your schedule. I even heard that they are planning on sending them to Japan. Maybe that is why I saw Changmin few ago learning Japanese from one of SM trainers.

 

The ride to our dorm in Seoul is quite long that I fell asleep in the middle of it. Manager hyung only tapped my shoulders when we arrived at the place and I gather my luggages. Hyung helped me with it and I felt all the emotions run to my nerves as I am near upon seeing who the rest of my members were.

 

*             *             *

 

~ Sungmin’s POV ~

 

“Rocks papers scissors? Is that how we are going to choose our room arrangements?” I stared in amusement at my future bandmates. Some of us already arrived at the apartment and currently organizing their stuffs. Apparently some were also surprised to see one another inside the dorm. You see, some of us were only informed the day before while others kept it secret.

 

“Yes. 3-4 members per room. Thank God the room is big enough,” Heechul replied. I still can’t believe the hyung will be my future bandmate. I smiled remembering my surprised face when he opened the door a while ago.  “Hankyung should be one of my roommates though”

 

“But hyungs, do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter