Chapter 13

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~ Yesung’s POV ~

 

"Jongwoon-ssi I think you should start attending other classes other than vocal lessons, you seemed doing well here already," Yongho, my vocal teacher said to me one time after practice.

 

"But sir, I only excel in singing ballads, I want to be good at every genre," I replied in a low voice while looking at the other trainees who were exiting the room.

 

“I don’t care, I believe you can learn easily if it is about singing. And your voice suits ballads well,” he insisted. “I suppose it is about time that you start learning Chinese and Japanese language at least.”

 

“Okay sir, I will take the language lessons too. But I will not sacrifice vocal lessons, I will try to arrange my schedule to squeeze it all in,” I said promising my vocal teacher that I will attend the sessions until my debut.

 

“If that is what you want then I suggest nothing can stop you from attending my sessions. As long as you are not giving me any headaches unlike the other trainees,” he said grinning.

 

Among the trainers here, I get along well mostly with the vocal trainers. It is not because they praise my voice but because it is my favorite practice time. Sometimes I could get some friendly conversations with them but of course I know my position. I always remember to give them respect.

 

“Yesung-ssi I will get going now, I suppose you will take care of the room before you leave,” he said and before I could say goodbye he was already gone.

 

“Okay Jongwoon because you had a nice chat with the him everyone has left already. It means you will be the one to clean the room again,” I talked to myself and I grabbed the broom to start sweeping the floor.

 

Seriously? At first glance the room looks clean but if you inspect there would be candy wrappers inside the chairs and small bits of dust which I don’t know where it came from.

 

“These people don’t give respect to the old. They leave first before I can even grab my bag,” I complained to no one. Actually the younger trainees were supposed to be the ones to clean the room after practices. The senior trainees love to abuse their authority by ordering the younger ones around with chores.

 

It is what they normally do if they see the younger or newer trainee as a threat to them. As I say, it is a tough competition here. I am lucky that even if I receive praises with my voice I don’t get bullied because I am older than most of the senior trainees here.

 

Some of the senior ones try to befriend me and bribe me to join their groups in bullying. I don’t agree with them but I politely decline their offer since I don’t want to be in trouble with them.

 

I only have only Jungsoo hyung and the rest of his close friends as my friends. If someone greets me I return it with the same manner of respect. I believe it is the right way to treat other people in this place.

 

I swept the floor and made sure that all the wastes were put inside the trash can. I turned off the aircon and every electric appliances in the room before I leave.  It is not a heavy duty but it is a waste of time especially for someone who lives far from the studio.

 

I took a little trip to the bathroom before I go home. I need to wash my hands which got dirty from cleaning. There is another boy, probably four to five years younger than me, washing his face on the sink.

 

It is my first time seeing him here so I assume he is a new trainee. He noticed that he is not alone inside the bathroom but we ignored each other since I don't know him.

 

It is after awhile when I noticed from my peripheral view that he is nursing his swollen upper lip. He looks innocent and not the type of person who loves to fight anyone so I became curious on how did he get that wound.

 

Feeling that it wouldn't hurt to ask him a question, I turned to him and tried to start a conversation with him.

 

"Hi, do you mind if I ask? Is that a wound?" I asked pointing to his upper lip. I realized my question sounded so dumb so I hope he will not laugh.

 

"Uhmm yeah, but it’s okay," he said trying to hide the pain whenever he touches it or when he opens his mouth to talk.

 

"I have an ointment here if you want -- " I said as I opened my bag to search for my medicine kit. I am always concerned for anyone younger than me because I am reminded of my brother.

 

"Oh no. No, it is okay. I am okay, really," he said hastily before I even finish my sentence.

 

I looked at him and I saw something that I didn't notice before. I saw fear in his eyes.

 

And there I understood the rest of the untold story.

 

"Did someone hurt you?" I asked but he just bowed his head as if he didn't hear me. I assumed that he is afraid to tell anybody so I prompted him more. "Is it a trainee?"

 

He kept his silence but I did not give up until he confesses to me. I need to confirm my suspicions.

 

"It is okay, you can tell me who is it. I promise I won't tell anyone," I said to him as I tried to show him that I am a friend to him. "You can trust me."

 

He looks at me hesitating if he would tell me or not. Eventually he slowly nods his head.

 

"It is a senior trainee right?" I asked again and he nods his head.

 

"How did it happen? No one saw it?" I asked while I put some ointment to his lip. I am glad that he is relaxing a little bit now.

 

"I was late for the practice, the coach did not mind but my fellow trainees scolded and punched me when I tried to explain my reason," he said.

 

"That is not right! If someone has the right to hit you it was your coach and not a trainee," I exclaimed. I'm so angry. How could someone hit a young boy for a nonsense reason?

 

"Are you sure you don't want to tell anyone about it? The staffs can help you."

 

"No. It is okay, I can endure it."

 

I looked at this young boy in front of me and to think that he is willing to endure the hardships for his dream, he must be so brave.

 

Every trainee here has their own story to share. They have their own reasons why they are here. Someone wants to fulfill his dreams. Someone wants to prove something to his parents. Someone wants to give his family a comfortable life. Someone wants to find his future.

 

Different reasons yet all will undergo hardships to be able to reach their goals in life. They have many sacrifices to make in order for it to happen.

 

"You must be good in something, I sense that they are just jealous of you," I said with a worried smile.

 

"I don't think so, there are so many here that is better than me. I have many more things to learn," he humbly replied.

 

He finished cleaning himself and I offered to go with him until downstairs.

 

"Hey, it is been minutes since we started talking to each other yet I still don't know your name," I said to him. "I'm Jongwoon."

 

"My name is Changmin," he said formally.

 

"You don't need to be so formal with me, I'm not so particular in seniority since I'm not a sunbae he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter