Chapter 12

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~ Sungmin’s POV ~

 

Today is one of those days when we were having training sessions with Kangta and Heejun sunbae. We know that there would be camera rolling behind us but we were instructed to act like no one will be watching us.

 

We were joined by the other project group members, Jay, Minwoo and Jungwoo. I’m familiar with their faces for I have seen them occasionally in the practices that I have attended before. Also, Heechul hyung is close to Jay as I assume they were dorm mates.

 

“How are you boys? We will have another exhausting day ahead,” Heejun sunbae greeted us when we are all inside the room.

 

“Don’t tell me you did not miss those days before H.O.T debuted. We practiced till dawn for several months perfecting everything for our debut,” Kangta sunbae interrupted him.

 

“Oh those good old days, it is as if it had just happened yesterday. If only things went for the best way,” he replied. “By the way, can I talk to my apprentices? Jay, Minwoo, Jungwoo come here,”

 

He called the other three and talked to them probably about the things he teaches to the group. Kangta sunbae also took this as the cue to gather his own group. He went to us and Hyukjae, Junsu and I prepared ourselves to listen.

 

“Since our last meeting, boys, have you been practicing by yourselves? Practicing improves your skills,” he said once he gathered us together.

 

“Every day after school we regularly practice some of idol groups’ songs sunbaenim. We did as what you have instructed us,” Hyukjae said.

 

“But sunbaenim, sometimes it is hard to continue singing while doing complicated dance. How do you keep your voice in the right tone?” I asked. I find it hard to conceal my deep breaths especially in strenuous choreography. Sometimes I feel tired when I’m in the middle of the song.

 

“Everyone in the group has their own position. Main vocal, lead vocal, main dancer, rapper and more positions depending on the number of members. Each one has their own responsibility to keep in every performance. A group should work as one, the weakness of one will be the strength of the others,” he advised us.

 

“What I’m trying to say is you should help each other in giving your best in every performance. It will help the others from being tired easily. That is why being in groups were sometimes better than solos,” he added.

 

“We will remember your words sunbaenim. I think that if we have a great teamwork we will be able to show a satisfying show,” I said fully determined to improve ourselves more. Whenever I hear advises from people I feel like my energy is being recharged and passion to do better is getting stronger.

 

“That is good. You know what? It is not only the talent that will make a group successful. Talent and luck can make people interested in you…along with your personality it will help you gain fans. But it is the relationship between the members that will define a group’s longevity,” he said and I’m sure he is giving an important warning to us to work well with each other first before anything else happens.

 

I have heard successful groups who came down their thrones after fall out with the members. I heard about heartbreaking news of disbandment whenever members cannot fix the disagreement among them. Sometimes it is not only the groups’ reputation and teamwork that is being destroyed. Sometimes it goes beyond that, and long years of friendship are destroyed.

 

Thinking of those happenings along with Kangta sunbaenim’s words, I don’t want that to happen to my group, neither to my friends. It is normal for me to be quiet and sometimes I find it hard to be close with boys. But I am easy to get along with when you became my friend.

 

Vowing to myself that I would be more friendly and talkative in a good manner I will start it by getting along well with my friends here in SM.

 

 

*               *                  *

 

[2003. Seoul, South Korea]

 

 

~ Siwon’s POV ~

 

 

After a week I followed the talent scout’s advice and went to SM to audition. I came by myself without telling my parents yet. I prepared a song to the judges and somehow I also passed the interview.

 

Honestly, while I was singing in front of the judges my knees were shaking and I was so nervous that I was lucky that I did not forget the lyrics. The interview was easier because they will just ask questions and I will only answer truthfully.

 

I thought the process will be long but within a week I received a call from SM telling to come back. They said that I had passed the auditions and were offering me to sign a contract as a trainee.

 

I am glad that I got in successfully in my first attempt in something like this. But before I do anything, I needed to tell my parents first. Today I will tell them and I hope that they will allow me.

 

“Mom, dad I had passed the auditions in SM and I am planning to be a trainee under the company. Please let me do it,” I pleaded to them when we sat on the living room together to discuss this.

 

“You are planning on a musical career but I was expecting you to help continue the family business,” dad firmly said.

 

“But dad, I can still help you in the business. I promise when I graduate I will contribute to it,” I insisted.

 

“Please mom, dad. I want to do this. I feel like this is where I will be happy. Of course I will not forget my responsibility to the family,” I added.

 

My mother looked at my father and they have an eye conversation. I had a feeling that they were thinking for the right decision. My mother held my father’s hands and gave a slight nod. I continued to watch them in silence as I wait for their approval.

 

After awhile, my father finally came into a decision. “Okay son, we will allow you to sign this contract. However, I want you to take responsibility for your actions so we will not help you. Do you understand?”

 

“Dad, thank you…mom. Your approval means so much to me,” I said as I stood up to hug both of them.

 

My parents returned the hug while smiling sincerely at me. “Just do well with whatever you do in life. Never forget to thank God for all the blessings you receive,” my mother advised me.

 

“I did not know you had interest in singing. I should hear you sing sometimes,” my father joked. I laughed; I had never let anyone know about my hidden talent.

 

“It is a secret I have never told anyone but I guess everyone will know now,” I told them.

 

“I have always expected that your handsome face will soon attract the attention of a talent agent, if you ever meet one,” my mom said while pinching my cheeks.

 

“Mom…,” I whined. Sometimes I get embarrassed whenever I hear praises on about how good looking I am. I don’t see anything unique in myself and I think that ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter