Chapter 23

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~ Ryeowook’s POV ~

 

"Sir are you sure it me?? I only started training two months ago!" I asked shocked when I got the information that I will be in the project group of the company. The surprising fact here was I am put in this project group that is due to debut in few months! What did I do to deserve all of this?

 

"Your name is Kim Ryeowook right?" he asked me as if he was joking with me but I nodded. "Then I'm talking to the right person then,"

 

"But how? I mean... I--I don't understand... I don't even know the members," I asked as the news starts to sink in my mind. "Sir... I'm afraid it isn't a good idea..."

 

"Who told you that? I had actually bragged your voice to the higher representatives and luckily they checked out your video and found out about your amazing talent before they choose anyone else," he said proudly smiling. "You should be thanking me!"

 

I stared at my vocal coach of few months here in the company. He likes my voice and usually gives me piano recitals with the song of his choice. I liked the fact that I had impressed him with my voice but sometimes I grew uncomfortable when he praises me in front of other trainees. "Thank you sir... I really appreciate it. But I'm worried because I don't know these people. They surely wouldn’t want someone new to join them,” I voiced out my worries.

 

“Well, they don’t have a choice because as of right now you’re an official member of the group already,” he smiled oblivious to my reaction. “You missed out the pre-debut showcase but its nothing. They haven’t started filming the music video yet.”

 

“Had they started practicing the choreography already?” I asked. I was holding the cd containing the song and dance that I haven’t seen or heard yet. I had to practice this in three days before I officially meet them and join their group practices.

 

"I think they have been practicing it since January... but you don't have to be worried, some were not yet familiar with the songs like Siwon because he is always busy," he said. "That kid. I bet he will be more busier when Super Junior debuts. He is the favorite of the company right now aside from their precious BoA."

 

His statement did nothing to comfort me. I was given the freedom for three days to use one of the practice rooms all by myself. My vocal trainer still guided me with the song but when it comes to the choreography, I had to practice it alone. Well... not always alone since I've met one of the managers and he occassionally watches my progress.

 

As I get to know Seunghwan hyung, I felt some of my worries and nervousness go away. He is my manager now but surely I will treat him more as an older brother whom I can turn to if something wrong happens to me within the group. How pessimistic I am.

 

At the end of the third day, Seunghwan hyung clapped his hands in content after hearing me sing and dance the debut song. I don't know why he was happy because I am sure that I made mistakes in the choreography and he surely didn't missed it.

 

"I didn't expect it that you will learn it so fast! I think you will be fine tomorrow," manager said. He was just trying to cheer me up. I know it. "I did a lot of mistakes though," I grumbled while packing up my backpack.

 

"You're obviously a vocalist so I think they should forgive you about it. Anyways, Hyukjae can teach you the dance anytime," he said. "Come on, I'll bring you home and perhaps I can talk to your parents about tomorrow."

 

"I've already told them that I will transfer to the dorms tomorrow," I replied. My parents were really shocked but happy when I told them that I will debut in a few months. I didn't expect that they would be so supportive of me. However, I am a sorry for them because their only child will leave home at an early age to follow his dreams. They have given me more than I could ask for and in return, I will try my best to make them proud of me.

 

"Of course you should. I also called them few days ago but its proper for me to show up to your parents before I take you away from them right? I did this all to the other members," he said. "The parents should know me personally before they can trust me as your guardian."

 

"Okay hyung," I only said in response.

 

 

 

*             *             *

 

[Meanwhile, in the SJ Dorm]

 

~ Eunhyuk’s POV ~

 

"Have you seen this new boy that will join us tomorrow? They said he is a new trainee..." I said to the boys while munching some chips that evening. There is a mixed reaction from the group regarding on replacing the spot of Junyoung. Most were indifferent since nobody knows this person. Donghae on the other hand was still getting used to the fact that one of his good friends were gone. I had been hanging out more with him along with Kibum. Leeteuk hyung is the one who doesn't easily accept newcomers so I suppose it will take time for him to accept this. Afterall he is like a mother hen who is so protective to our group.

 

"Inhwan hyung said that he is a vocalist so you won't probably be good friends with him," Sungmin teased since I just spent the whole day in the studio with my vocal instructor.

 

"Where did you get that theory huh? I'm good friends with hyung!" I shot back while hugging Yesung hyung to prove my point. I'm not really offended by jokes like this, especially if its from my close friends like Sungmin. I've known him for a long time already.

 

“Yah! You’re squeezing me too much!” Yesung complained trying to get out from my embrace. And then I decided to touch the parts where I know hyung is ticklish. “Hey! Hahahah-- Stop that!! Hahahahaha I can’t breathe alr--” he struggled to say while laughing. Soon I got pity of my hyung and stopped but the smile in my face was still there.

 

“So I suppose you will be on my side tomorrow?” Sungmin asked suddenly. Seeing my confused expression he explained it more. “Manager hyung asked me to be nice to this newcomer. I don’t know why hyung went to me first but he assumed that I will get along well with this boy because he says we’re almost alike.”

“If he is a good cook like you then why not? Besides, I’m not really comfortable having enemies… you know that I’m a peaceful person,” I replied.

 

“I agree with you expect for that last part…” Yesung hyung grumbled beside me. “If he is a vocalist like me then I’m glad to welcome him in this group.”

 

“Why do you know that he is a vocalist? Why does Inhwan hyung tells you all of this when there are so many people in this group?” I asked suddenly interested. “Does hyung doesn’t trust us to be nice to this boy?”

 

“Why are you jealous that hyung trusts me?” Sungmin asked. “Well… I don’t really know why hyung trust me with this suddenly… but he is afraid that we will be giving him a hard time based on Leeteuk hyung’s reaction when manager told us that they will bring a replacement for Junyoung.”

 

“Teukie hyung easily accepted Shindong when he joined us… I don’t see any difference with this. We haven’t even debuted yet so I don’t get why hyung is fussing,” Yesung said.

 

“We are not a permanent group hyung, so I can understand why Teukie hyung doesn’t take it well. I think he is uneasy because of the reality that someone can still replace one of us even though we are nearing our debut. Junyoung was so close to stepping onstage but under certain circumstances he wasn’t able to…”

 

Everyone got silent after I spoke. The truth of my words was enough for them to be speechless. We got so excited when we were informed that we will finally debut onstage. All the years of sweat and tears, late night practicing and hardwork we had done in the studios are finally worth it. This is what every trainee is dreaming for and in a few months we will finally achieve it.

 

But our situation is different from everyone else. Super Junior is not a permanent group like others… like TVXQ. We forgot the fact that after one year or maybe less than that, somebody can be removed from us. Somebody can also be added. Our group is bound to experience constant changes. How long would I be in this group? I don’t know… I don’t want to know because I want to last long. I didn’t sacrificed things just to be replaced by someone in the future.

 

“That’s true…” Yesung hyung said after a long silence. “I can’t even tell my mom that we’re not permanent because I know that she will be disappointed. Besides, I’m afraid that this will only strain my relationship with my father.”

 

“I believe nobody told our parents about this. All they know is that we are very happy right now,” Sungmin said. “But I don’t think we should be harsh on someone we barely know just because the company included him with us. Its not his fault.”

 

“I understand… don’t worry I will try to be nice to him,” I said promising to myself that I will take care of this new dongsaeng. “I will even give him late night dance lessons if he still doesn’t know our choreography.”

 

“You didn’t offer me dance lessons…” Yesung hyung pointed out.

 

“You already knew the choreography hyung,” I rolled my eyes. Hyung can sometimes be childish and acts jealous to others.

 

“So… I expect that both of you will be with me tomorrow?” Sungmin asked.

 

“Not only tomorrow but on the days that will come,” I agreed.

 

 

*             *             *

 

~ Ryeowook’s POV ~

 

I kept biting my lips and looking at my wristwatch and then staring back at the road. Manager hyung must have noticed my behavior as I heard him chuckle while driving. There are so many thoughts in my head right now that I don’t know what to do first when I finally meet the group.

 

“In a few minutes will be there in the apartment so you better compose yourself now,” hyung said. I just nod my head but I don’t think he saw it since he is driving. I can barely feel my icy hands as it goes numb. I’ve never been nervous like this before and I don’t know how to calm myself.

 

“I heard from your mom that you are a good cook… perhaps you can use that talent to win over your hyungs,” he said smiling from the driver’s seat. I know he is trying to comfort me and I’m thankful for that. At least I am in good terms with my manager.

 

“I will be one of the youngest right hyung? Then they must be making me cook all the time,” I said knowing well that it’s the maknae who usually does the housework. I’m not really worried with thing like this. I’m used to doing chores at home because I’m an only child so perhaps they are lucky that I’m enjoying this like this.

 

“That is one rule that I can never understand in groups… that tradition should be stopped,” he muttered but I was only half listening to him as I saw that van approaching a small apartment. I figured out that this is where our dorm is, despite the fact that I have never been in the place. “We are here. I should warn Inhwan to get the boys ready.” When the vehicle stopped I followed manager hyung outside until we reached the door. It was only a few minutes walk but it felt like the time had stopped. Seunghwan hyung reached for his keys instead of knocking on to the door. “They wouldn’t hear it anyway,” he explained.

 

I’ve never been into a dorm but I have a good first impression of the place where I would be living from now on. It wasn’t like our home which is always neat because my mother loves to keep things in order. The dorm was exactly opposite to that, I shouldn’t expect something when all of the occupants of the household were all boys. I was used to having all to myself…the perks of being an only child. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t spoiled by my parents. Its just that I can have an access to anything in our home because I don’t have anyone to share with. Now I need to get used to living with more than eleven people – plus the managers the people of the other group living with us. I inhaled and exhaled deeply. I can do this, I said in my mind.

 

“Where are the others?” manager hyung asked when he only saw half of the members waiting for him in the living room. “And where is Inhwan?”

 

“He is upstairs getting the others ready. Apparently we missed the wakeup call so everybody had to run late. I’m sorry hyung,” the boy with a baby face replied. As I said before, I don’t know them not even one so I had to memorize their names fast.

 

“Never mind, we still have an hour. By the way, here is our new member Kim Ryeowook,” hyung gently pushed me forward to them and I bowed my head to greet them shyly. “I expect you to take care of him and treat him nicely.”

 

When I turned to look at them I saw the one with baby face smile at me and held out his hands. “I’m Sungmin an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter