Chapter 26

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~ Ryeowook’s POV ~

 

Life became so busy after the day f our debut. Schedules here, schedules there, schedules everywhere were booked by the company for us. We have to appear in a long list of variety shows, radio and music shows in order to promote our group.

 

It wasn’t that easy for us. We were still faced with criticisms and sometimes even compared to our labelmates like TVXQ who is undeniably popular right now. We are hurt every time we read comments online that says that our group will not last long. I don’t want that to happen to Super Junior. Even though I wasn’t with the hyungs since trainee days, I already care for them and for the welfare of the group. I want Super Junior to last long, to be successful just like the other groups that debuted under SM label.

 

More than that, I have to do well for my dreams.

 

And while living for my dreams, at the same time, I also need to do my obligation as a student. My life may have changed in the past three months but it doesn’t change the fact that I am still a student who needs to finish his studies. I have no plans of stopping until high school graduation like some other people. I will go to college and get a degree and diploma.

 

That is why even we have a tight schedule I struggled to squeeze some time to study my lessons. The upcoming college entrance exams worries a lot of graduating students right now and it includes me. It worries me since I have been skipping some classes since our debut and I am already left behind the lessons.

 

“Take some time to eat Ryeowook-ah,” Sungmin hyung pushed a bowl of kimchi fried rice to me before sitting beside me. It was already 2 in the morning and I haven’t gone to bed yet. We arrived at midnight after long hours of filming a variety show. The hyungs fought on who gets to use the shower first until they decided who will share it. Some already went to bed, too tired to wait for the members to finish showering. Meanwhile I got my books and planted myself in the dining table to study.

 

“Hyung you’re still awake?”

 

“And so are you. I can’t sleep well so I decided to find some food. You didn’t hear me searching for food since you were too busy reading your notes.”

 

“I’m sorry,” I said for not acknowledging the presence of my hyung. I am still younger and his junior so I should be respectful at all times.

 

“No need to be sorry, okay? I know the feeling of cramming your studies. It must be hard for you right now,” he said sympathizing to me. “I was lucky I’m still a trainee when I had my exams.”

 

I bowed my head to avoid his eyes. Whenever they talk about their trainee days I feel uncomfortable. I have few memories of being a trainee to look back to. I really think it was rushed on my part. I can even look in the eyes of the trainees today in SM who have been there longer than I am. I feel like they hate me for debuting in a short period of time.

 

Well, if they think I got it easy, hell no. I have to make my way towards my members, my hyungs. I have to gain their acceptance of me. Now, I managed to be comfortable to most of them. Although I still feel awkward at random times, I can manage myself.

 

“Where do you plan to study?” Sungmin hyung asked. He must observed my awkwardness again.

 

“Hmm... in Inha. I want to go to Inha University,” I replied.

 

“How about the top schools out there? Are you giving a try?”

 

“I’m not that ambitious hyung. I already have a fixed plan in my head,” I said crossing my fingers and hoping that my plans will be achieved.

 

“I see. What will you take then?”

 

“Theatre arts. I want to be a theatre arts student in Inha,”

 

“I thought you’re going to take something related to music. I didn’t know you have interest in acting,”

 

“I can get voice lessons at SM hyung. So I thought I’d try something different. And maybe I could try acting in theatre stage in the future,” I said trying to imagine what will I do in the future if ever the group wouldn’t disband that early. However, I was reminded that I am in a rotational group. Any time I could be replaced and that worries me.

 

“That’s great. Maybe the two of us could have a shot in musicals in the future too. I also wanted to try it,”

 

“You should too hyung. I’ve seen you act and I think you could do well in a musical,”

 

“Let’s just hope that SM will consider it once an opportunity arrives. Individual activities maybe good but our company will focus more on the group right now,”

 

We fell silent after that while eating our midnight snack. After Sungmin hyung was done eating he place the bowl on the sink and grabbed some juice from the fridge. And then he turned to me, “I’ll go and try to sleep now maknae. Good luck on reviewing,”

 

“Good night hyung,” I replied. Now I’m left alone again in the dining room.

 

 

[Few weeks later]

~ Ryeowook’s POV ~

 

“How’s the exam maknaes?”

 

“Was it easy?”

 

“You two looked exhausted!”

 

“It was hard judging by their faces,”

 

The hyungs flocked around Kibum and I when we got back to the dorms after our exams. They attacked us with a lot of questions, all curious to know what happened to the maknaes of the group.

 

“Let them rest boys. They had a long day and all of you have schedule tomorrow. You eat go and eat dinner and sleep early,” Seunghwan hyung instructed us while he sat down the sofa to stretch his numb legs.

 

“It’s okay if you fail. You can always repeat it!” Shindong hyung wrapped his arms to the two of us before squeezing us together.

 

“H-hyung!” I exclaimed in a worried face. I don’t want to fail. No way!

 

“Don’t tease the maknaes Shindong,” I heard Leeteuk hyung’s voice.

 

“I-I can’t breatheee,” Kibum complained and Shindong hyung let us go while laughing all the way to the kitchen to grab some foods.

 

“The boys were hyper as usual,” Leeteuk frowned but he wasn’t angry. “You two, grab something to eat now. I’m sure the exams drained your energy.”

 

“Yes hyung,” Kibum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter