The Past, The Pastry and The Pats

Zero and Hero

XXX

“Jinwoo, you’re stupid if you don’t think he LIKES you!” Jinwoo lost count at how many times Seungyoon have said this. He’s so close at slapping the consciousness out of his friend to finally leave him in peace.

 

“He even went as far as sitting-in in all our morning classes,” Seungyoon continued. “And what is he going to do in your dorm tonight?” He eyed Jinwoo, “As a friend of course, as a CLOSEEEE friend.”

 

“He’s probably just gonna retrieve the jacket he lent me last time. I haven’t returned it yet. It’s no big deal.”

 

Seungyoon stared at Jinwoo contemplating on something before sitting on the grass. They both decided to just hang around the University Park during vacant period to avoid getting involved with the rich kids. Especially the girls chasing Jinwoo to get Mino’s number.

 

“What is really going on between you two? You’re like friends but not friends. You act close but you’re not. My IQ level is dropping rapidly every time I see you two”

 

“It’s nothing.”

 

“Jinwoo, for some unknown reason he shows interest in you in a way that not even the rich kids or the most gorgeous girl in school achieved. And you tell me it’s all for charity right? Why won’t he sprinkle some of his charitable deeds on me then? Huh?”

 

Jinwoo sighed and stared at the clear sky. He recalled the day he first met Mino during middle school. He was on his way home from school after buying things his mom asked for in the market. As usual, he struggled to find his way home and ended up in an unfamiliar alley. Suddenly two big highschool guys appeared from nowhere demanding for money. He ran away as fast as his legs can manage, he’ll rather die than giveaway his parent’s hard earned money. His family already struggled to bring food on the table everyday, why would he just give it away? Just when he thought that he can escape unscathed, one of the wannabe-thugs pull his collar back making him land on the ground. A guy snatched his bag and another searched his body for money. Jinwoo struggled and trashed around causing the guy to rip his uniform, accidentally exposing his upper body. The muggers smirked evilly, pleased to see his milky white skin. They scanned his pretty face and decided to abandon the money search and go for pleasure instead. Jinwoo had never been so frightened that he started screaming for help hysterically but one dude was quick to give him a blow on the stomach shutting him up effectively. He’s crying desperately but no word is coming out of his mouth from too much pain. He felt one guy tearing the rest of his uniform while another started rubbing his chest and his neck, tasting his skin. He shut his eyes firmly surrendering from his unfortunate fate, all of a sudden he heard loud noises that he can’t quite identify followed by faint groans. He half-consciously opened his eyes and saw another guy holding one of the attackers by the collar and punching his face until it’s unrecognizable, the other one is already lying motionless on the ground. The next thing he knew was that he’s being carried by strong arms. He woke up in a clinic wearing new sets of clothes and an unfamiliar face staring at him. He was saved by Mino that day but that didn’t stop the nightmares brought by the trauma of that incident.

 

“Jinwoo? Hey!” Seungyoon shook his shoulder, pulling him out of his trance.

 

Jinwoo looked at his friend somberly. “Since the day I met Mino, he has been constantly showing up everywhere, especially during highschool when my parents moved to Imjado for a job opportunity there. I lived alone to continue my study not to waste my scholarship. But despite it all, we remained distant. I don’t get him too, Seungyoonie.”

 

Seungyoon cocked his eyebrows while smiling playfully, “Shall we find out then?”

 

XXX

 

Jinwoo was shock to find Mino sitting on his window pane when he entered his room.

 

“How did you get in here?”

 

“Simple, I asked for your spare room key.” Mino stated carelessly.

 

“And they just gave it to you?”

 

“Why wouldn’t they?”

 

Jinwoo threw his bag on the floor and lied down on his bed in resignation.

 

“So you’re having nightmares again?” Mino asked.

 

“Yeah, it’s probably because I kept seeing images of kids being harassed in here.”

Silence.

“I was thinking of just applying for scholarship in another school. Maybe in Imjado, it might not be a well-known College but at least it’s peaceful,” Jinwoo continued when he didn’t get a reply.

 

“Just stay in here.” Mino suddenly exclaimed in a serious tone. “Trouble always follows you wherever you go. In here, it’s easier for me to protect you.”

 

Mino’s not always chatty so Jinwoo took this golden opportunity to ask his billion dollar question. He sat up on his bed and faced Mino. “Why are you doing this?”

 

“Charity.”

 

“I’m not open for pitiful donation. You can stop now.” Jinwoo said somewhat harshly.

 

“I don’t want to.” Mino stood up and started walking to the door. “I left the new series of Detective Conan manga on your table to help you sleep.” He said before going out and leaving Jinwoo in a pile of confused emotions.

 

XXX

 

Jinwoo woke up early the following morning. He checks himself in the mirror after taking a shower. He sighed remembering his conversation with Mino last night. It weighs down his mood thinking Mino’s reason for always helping him. Perhaps he wanted Mino to see him as a friend instead of a charity, though he’s not rich like his other buddies.

 

Jinwoo shook his head shooing away the negative thoughts. He grabbed his bag, ready to go, when he noticed something on his study table. It’s a paper bag with a ‘Lee Pastries’ logo and sticky note posted on it. He was certain it wasn’t there before he slept. He grabbed the paper bag, carefully reading the note. His grin grew wider as he read the words written; “I came back to retrieve my jacket and thought of getting a drink but I checked your fridge and it’s empty. You’re fast asleep so I just left this. Eat your breakfast.”

 

Jinwoo certainly knows who this is from. And just like that, all the negative feelings he has last night disappeared as he happily bounced his way to school.

 

He was already walking behind one school building when he realized that he forgot his phone in his dorm so he couldn’t call Mino. But he really wanted to thank him first before going to his class, however he doesn’t know his schedules. He remembered Seungyoon told him where Mino and his friends frequently hangout and decided to start looking for him there.

 

He’s walking aimlessly in one of the hallways of the student center looking for the VIP lounge while trying so hard not to roll his eyes and scream at the students talking about him openly.

 

“Is Song Mino really friends with that thing?”

“Unlikely, look at him, his clothes looks like he just bought it from a thrift shop.”

“But he said he’s under his care you know.”

“Maybe he’s a recipient of Song Family’s humanitarian efforts to help the poor.”

 

Jinwoo thought if these gossipmongers will become the future leaders of the country he’ll make sure to migrate. They always talk about him when they can choose a more significant topic, like global warming perhaps? Maybe Naruto’s emotional ending? Attack of Titans upcoming movie? Hyun Suk’s hasten efforts to debut iKON? They can look for more meaningful things to do like vote for Winner in MAMA or stop bullying kids for once.

But no, they choose to talk about me whole day, everyday. He decided to ignore the tattlers and focus on looking for Mino. He was about to give up and just go to his class when the students loitering in the corridors unexpectedly parted, like Moses is on his way. He thought that he’ll witness another victimizing case so he stepped aside and press himself flatly on the wall trying to be invisible to avoid whatever it is that’s coming.

 

Suddenly the girls start giggling and instead of painful groans, he heard them squealing. Jinwoo looked around to check what’s going on when he saw Mino and his two friends walking while casually chatting with each other. He looks really cool and classy, very charismatic and somewhat intimidating especially when he’s with his friends who are also oozing with the same air.

 

Jinwoo just decided to continue pretending to be invisible and glued his eyes on the floor. The hall became quite again with unclear murmurings. Judging from his past experiences, Jinwoo knows that sudden stillness and murmurings isn’t gonna end up good for him. He slowly peered up and saw everyone staring at him.

 

“Lost-kid.” Jinwoo jolted back when he heard Mino’s voice. “Why are you here?”

 

“Huh? Uhmm..” Jinwoo glanced tentatively behind Mino and saw Seunghoon clinging giddily on a grinning Nam Taehyun. It’s not that comfortable talking with a bunch of people watching them like they hold the answer for world peace.

 

He cupped his hands around his mouth and whispered. “Thank you for the sandwich.”

 

“What? I can’t hear you.”

“I said thank you for the sandwich.” Jinwoo said it loud enough this time for all those standing near to hear.

 

“Oh that.” Mino averted his eyes and scratches his nape.

 

“He said you’re having nightmares so he went back to check if you slept well.” Seunghoon butted.

 

“Yah! He’s not talking to you.” Mino lightly pushed his friend. “I-I just went back to get my jacket. I w-wrote that in the note.” Mino explained still not meeting his eyes.

 

“Nah. It’s just his excuse Jinwoo-ssi.” This time, Taehyun joined in.

 

Oh.

 

“Ehem, anyway, did you prepare it?” Jinwoo asked.

 

“Nope. This kid called me at 5 in the morning, bugging me to tell a staff in our nearby bakeshop to prepare a clubhouse sandwich that he’ll pick up at 6 o’clock.” Seunghoon detailed then high fived with Taehyun.

 

“Can you two shut up?” Mino scowled which just makes the other two laugh louder.

 

“Oh, thank you Seunghoon-ssi. And Mino, thanks for your jacket too.” Jinwoo is already swelling inside with a warm feeling from everything he heard just now. And before he could stop himself, he leaned closer to Mino, encircling his arms around his shoulders, giving him a hug.

 

A collective gasp and cries of ‘What the--’ registered into Jinwoo’s ears before his brain could process what he just did. He cleared his throat and pat Mino’s back awkwardly in the most brotherly way he could master.

 

I’m in deep .

 

“I.. err.. need to go now. Uhmm… BYE!” Jinwoo stuttered before turning around. He is already murdering himself in his mind while half-running to get as fast as far away as possible. All the students were staring at him in bewilderment and he can still hear Mino’s friends laughing their brains out. Oh !

 

“Lost-kid!” Mino called out in an amused tone. Jinwoo halted his steps and waited. “Your department building is this way.” Jinwoo glanced back in horror.

 

Damn it, Jinwoo! He cursed himself.

 

XXX

 

Author:

Chapter 6! >< Now you know what happened to our poor Jinwoo TT Btw, I used Moses for reference only, hope no one will get offended by it. Anyway, isn't our cute minwoo starting to show more affection towards each other? hehehe, but seriously though, Jinwoo really just wants to be friends with Mino, but I'm not sure what Mino really wants from Jinwoo though hahaha.. Seriously, I have no idea. I have yet to decide why Mino is acting like this. LOL! Anyway, we'll be coming to the slightly serious part of the story soon. I hope I won't bore you guys! Anyway, here's Taehyunnie and Hoonie's student ID hahaha! It's really hard to look for Seunghoon's ID pic, so mian if you don't like it >,<

 

Once again, thank you so much for supporting and leaving me your funny comments! ^^ Don't thank me for updating fast, I do it because I want to read your comments hahaha! So thank yourself instead for taking time in giving this fic your love! I will be forever grateful so please stay with me till the end, arasso? ^^ Thank you very much! /bow/

 

love lots,

d.for.v

powered by minwoo minions