Surviving the First Day

Zero and Hero

“M-Mino. I’m sorry,” the guy who probably threw the bucket stuttered. Silence enveloped the class and hallway as all eyes focus on the man standing beside him. The loud thumping of his heart is all Jinwoo could hear.

 

Song Mino – the only son of the richest and most influential business tycoon in Korea, Song Corporation is the biggest fuel importer and exporter in the country. He is often viewed by the professors as a happy-go-lucky type, one that slanders and wastes his parent’s riches by partying, a rebellious kid. But he is also known as a loyal friend, one that can be relied on during difficult times. He doesn’t always get into fights, but when he does it’s because of a serious reason, and every time he fights, he’ll make sure he’ll win. He also doesn’t care about the low profile students in the school, he just simply ignore them. On top of that all, he’s undeniably charismatic and good-looking. Unfortunately to the dismay of the female species, he hasn’t shown interest into anyone yet.

 

Mino can be a fun guy, but when he’s in a bad mood, he exudes a dangerous air. And looks like, now is not a good time for buckets to be landing on his hands.

 

“It’s okay,” Mino answered back in a dangerous tone. “Here, why don’t you keep it back yourself and don’t forget to take the mop too from that guy.” He passed the bucket to the culprit and signalled to the poor soaked student to give the mop too.

“Errr.. of course.” The guy scampered away instantly.

 

Jinwoo was about to face Mino and give him a proper greeting but the guy just covered Jinwoo’s face with his palm preventing him to talk.

 

“Just enter your class lost-kid.” Mino instructed before walking away, leaving a smiling Jinwoo and his stunned classmates.

 

XXX

 

Jinwoo beamed his most forged smile as he stood in front of the class full of uninterested people with offended look on their face just by looking at his mere existence. He waits as the professor explains how he is one of the school’s fortunate scholar, though without money but have the brain to be successful in life.

 

It is quite obvious that no one is listening to the professor’s lengthy lecture. Everyone’s eyeing him with curiosity. They are watching him closely as if he’ll miraculously fart rainbows where they can find a pot of gold at the end any minute now. He thought maybe they find him cute, but reality tells him it could be because of him – Mino.

 

A chaebol? He knows Mino came from a well-off family judging from the branded clothes he always wears, but he didn’t know that he’s actually super-ultra-mega-rich as he overheard the buzz of the students talking about him. Well, he doesn’t really know much about him. Technically, they aren’t really close, he won’t even be comfortable calling him his friend. Mino is just someone kind enough to help him during middle school when he got lost on his way home one day and got picked on by bullies from another school. Because of his rather girly appearance, Jinwoo always get bullied or harassed by strangers and as if tied by destiny Mino will always pop out of nowhere to rescue him. So for him, Mino is his personal hero.

 

During highschool, there are times when Mino will just randomly show up in his school gate and will walk him home silently. It was strange but he likes the secured feeling of having Mino around, so he didn’t ask why he is doing that. Actually, he doesn’t have that enough familiarity with him to ask. Maybe farting rainbows would actually be easier to do than striking a serious conversation with Mino. Whenever Jinwoo will try to have a talk, Mino will shush him by saying “Just walk.” He felt like Mino purposely avoids a serious conversation with him. So they would end up not actually talking most of the time, thus he felt like they weren’t really close as friends. But he knows Mino is not like that whenever he’s with his own friends. So his behaviour towards him really is puzzling.

 

“Kim Jinwoo-ssi?”

 

“Huh?” Jinwoo looked at his professor which is looking back at him questioningly.

 

“Please introduce yourself.”

 

He saw the girls in his class shoot their eyebrows up and the boys giving him their mischievous grins.

 

“Errr… Hello!” Jinwoo bowed. “My name is Kim Jinwoo.”

 

This is gonna be one hell of a school year.

 

XXX

 

As soon as the class ended, Jinwoo stormed out of his room as fast as he can, successfully avoiding his classmates’ questions about his relationship with Mino. They still can’t believe that The Song Mino of Song Corporation knows a mere peasant like him. Jinwoo’s busy trying not to get lost while looking for his next class when suddenly an arm encircled on his shoulder, surprising him.

 

“Hello!” Jinwoo looked to his right and saw the cute skinny guy he was with yesterday during the orientation.

 

“I’m Kang Seungyoon, I’m also a student of Creative Media Department like you, but I’m majoring in digital film production. We have a lot of similar schedules so I guess we’ll be seeing each other often.” He beamed at Jinwoo with his thick cherry lips in full view and crescent shaped eyes.

 

“Hi!” Jinwoo smiled back timidly. “I’m Kim Jinwoo, majoring in screenplay production. Uhm, by the way do you know where is the audio-visual room? I need to get there for my next class.”

 

“Our next class is at another building. Come let’s walk there together.”

 

Seungyoon dragged Jinwoo to god knows maybe his final destination. “Uhm, Seungyoon-ssi, are you sure this is the right way to our next class?” Jinwoo nervously survey the path they are walking through behind their department building. It looks like a wild bear will suddenly devour them from the thick bushes and tall trees surrounding the area.

 

“Of course, unlike you Jinwoo-yah, I did my research about this university. Believe me or not this is the safest path to take for peasants like us in this school. And please drop the ‘ssi’ let’s talk comfortably from now on.” Seungyoon replied nonchalantly.

 

XXX

 

During their short walk, Jinwoo learned that Seungyoon is actually a walking directory and information center of YG University. He knows everything there is to know about the school. From the school history, to its faculty, the controversies and the so-called ‘social status pyramid’, he knows it all.

 

For further understanding, they had to stop at one of the empty classrooms for Seungyoon to explain how this pyramid works by drawing a graph on the board using colorful markers. He passionately explained, The Red Zone - the richest of the rich. The Blue Zone - the wannabe in the red zone. The Green Zone - the just thankful I have some money. And The Grey Zone - the brainy but no money, where Jinwoo easily recognizes as his home.

“You see Jinwoo-yah, we belong to the almost non-existent group in the school, the very bottom of the caste. The students here view us as insignificant yet we are needed by the administration for the school image.” Jinwoo already developed a migraine with the short time Seungyoon explained how irrelevant they are in this hierarchal campus civilization.

 

“The TOP 3 are the Nam’s, Lee’s and Song’s.” He looked at me and continued. “You have just been saved by one of the Top 3 Jinwoo-yah. They usually just mingle amongst themselves or the few elites that their families have ties with. Of course, all are only for business purposes, aside from Nam Taehyun, Lee Seunghoon and Song Mino himself. Those 3 are real best buddies. So- ” He trailed off. Jinwoo believed he had seen the other two from one instance that Mino saved him.

 

“Is the management aware about this? Why aren’t they doing anything?” Jinwoo quickly asked to divert the topic. They continued walking.

 

“You just saw for yourself how the professors here are so feeble, you’ll knock your head out once you see the administrators. They are just puppets of the boards of directors that are funding this university. And you don’t have to look far to know who are those people, they are somewhere at the top of that pyramid.”

 

Seungyoon continued on his YG Uni Survival 101 as they entered a new building. “Every group of elites here have their own turf or places where they hangout regularly. If we ever happen to pass by one, it will only lead to two things. One, we’ll get bullied or two, we’ll get bullied again. That’s why it’s safe to use the paths behind the buildings to avoid such circumstances.”

 

Jinwoo frowned in understanding. He never would have thought that this getting-bullied-business will follow him until his college life. Though he knows Mino will be there, but he can’t always rely on him. The university is huge too, there are better chances of him stepping on a than bumping into Mino.

 

“The TOP 3 have hordes of fangirls too, and I tell you, those fangirls knows no limit, recognizes no one when it comes to people taking away their prince’s attention. So you might be a target by now.” Seungyoon stated.

 

“What? I’m not even a girl. Why would they target me?” Jinwoo exclaimed quite loudly.

 

“Did I mention, Song Mino has the most number of crazy fangirls? And I did say these fangirls will obliterate basically anything that they deemed as competition from Mino’s attention. Just a friendly reminder.”

 

“He’s not even one that I can say I’m friends with.” Jinwoo cried. He didn’t notice that they already reached the building’s corridor where some students are loitering around.

 

There’s an eerie silence at the hall, making every hair on Jinwoo’s body stand. He heard murmurs as the girls started gossiping and some of the guys flashing an evil smirk. Jinwoo looked at Seungyoon helplessly, the latter looking at him teasingly while chuckling.

 

“Here’s the audio-visual room. Let’s go in.” Seungyoon dragged Jinwoo in their next class.

 

XXX

 

“Is that the freshman guy?”

“So, they aren’t even friends?”

“Apparently, not. Relatives?”

“Songs don’t have poor relatives.”

“How dare he even associate himself with Song Mino of all people.”

“What a ballsucker.”

 

Jinwoo kept his head down as he hastily exited the building. Good thing is, all his classes for the day are over and he can finally go back to the safety of his dorm room. He never thought that being associated with Mino will shoot him from being the nobody-in-grey-hoodie to the center of gossips.

And seriously, ballsucker? What’s with the naming? He sighs.

 

“Look, Song Mino is sitting at the entrance of the dormitory compound. Is he looking for someone?”

“OMG! Maybe he is looking for me?”

“In your dreams, .”

“What the fck did you say?”

“Shut up! Look, he stood up.”

“Kyahhh! He’s approaching… He’s approaching… that freshman guy?”

 

Jinwoo lifted his gaze and saw Mino slowly walking to his direction. ‘Is he waiting for me?’ Jinwoo thought. He looked at his left and right and back to check if anyone else is a potential Mino-comrade than him. But he’s the only one walking in the area.

 

“I don’t know where you stay yet. I’ll follow you there.” He simply said but Jinwoo didn’t flinch, still not sure if it was him whom Mino was talking to.

 

“Lost-kid, what are you waiting for? Lead the way.”

 

XXX

 

Author:

KYAAAHHHH!!!!!! Another chapter up hehehe > < Thank you so much for the kind subscribers and comments. Please keep them coming! ^^

 

By the way, I feel like this somehow have the Meteor Garden / Boys Over Flowers vibe, is it just me or do you think the same way? hahaha.. seriously though, I never intended for it to have that feels XD

info: ballsucker - an objectionable person or one that lives a life that just simply OR literally ball-er HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

 

Thank you so much again for your support! /bow/

love lots,

d.for.v

powered by minwoo minions