Real Friends or Real Foes?

Zero and Hero

A/N: Annyeong Yeorubon! ^_^ A slightly longer chapter! Enjoy! :)

 

XXX

 

“It’s Mino. !”

 

The guys chasing Jinwoo stepped back as one of them tried to reason. “We haven’t done anything, we’re just fooling around. Right guys?”

 

“Y-yeah, right.” Another one affirmed.

 

“You’re planning to do something then.” Mino crack his knuckles with a dark expression as he inch closer, intimidating the group. “Want to fool around with me instead?” This may sound like a simple question but everyone else knows it’s an announcement that blood will be spilled that night, even Jinwoo realizes that.

 

“Mino, stop. Let’s just go,” said Jinwoo, grabbing Mino by the hand. “C’mon, they’re not worth to waste your time.” He remembered how Youngbae was hospitalized for 2 weeks before so he knows Mino can fight, and damn is he good but he’s still against three guys, he will still get hurt one way or another.

 

“Let’s go, please?”

 

Mino glanced at Jinwoo’s pleading face before looking at the three guys again. “I’ll remember your faces.” He threatened before leading Jinwoo away.

 

The walk to the dorm is awkward. Jinwoo will glance momentarily from time to time to see how Mino’s face contorts with exasperation. Judging from this, he opted to keep his mouth shut.

 

Jinwoo slightly flinched when Mino clicked his tongue before drawing a deep sigh. Mino suddenly faced Jinwoo and grabs him by the shoulder.

 

“Don’t ever do this anymore.”

 

“D-do what?” Jinwoo asked in confusion. Mino’s grip tightens a bit and Jinwoo can feel a sense of resolve with his voice. It almost sounded like he was begging, like his life depends on it. Surely not right? It’s totally off Mino’s character, he was supposed to be the hero the strong and the brave one and Jinwoo’s supposed to be the zero, one who feels helpless and weak.

 

“Don’t go around without me knowing where you are.” Mino whispered looking Jinwoo straight in the eye before letting him go and started walking again. “Something bad might have happened to you before, if it wasn’t for B.I. I owe him that.”

 

“Mino, you don’t have to do this.” Jinwoo called out, not moving an inch. “I’m grateful but I’m not expecting you to be on my rescue all the time. Sooner or later w-we’ll part ways and you won’t always be there to save me. Somehow, I have to learn to be my own hero.”

 

Mino halted his steps and replied. “That’s not going to happen. I won’t let that happen.” Yes, it sounds ridiculous for Jinwoo but there’s finality in Mino’s words, so he could only ask that dreadful question.

 

“Why?” Jinwoo’s quite sure that he will be left hanging but he got surprise at Mino’s unexpected reply.

 

“Because I have someone whom I cared for already taken from me.” He murmured. “She’s already gone, what if you too? I can’t let that happen. Not anymore.” Mino continued.

 

She? He was left speechless. Jinwoo just realized that despite how many years he and Mino had known each other; he doesn’t have a clue about him at all. In a way, he’s happy to see a glimpse of who Song Mino really is. He wanted to know more but as for now he will be satisfied with this, knowing Mino genuinely care for him more than just a charity case is enough.

 

“Inform me of your whereabouts, please?” Mino turned around and looks at him with pleading eyes.

 

Jinwoo smiled. “Yes. I promise,” he answered.

 

XXX

 

Seungyoon ogled at his friend’s strange behaviour. They are at one of the cheaper restaurant in the campus with Jinwoo offering to treat him lunch. He notices that his cute friend’s been acting weird. Jinwoo poured him a glass of water, handing him the silverware happily and being so happy and kind. When Jinwoo offered to slice the chicken fillet for Seungyoon, the latter snapped at the oddity.

 

“Jinwoo, tell me honestly. Are you planning to do something sinister to me?”

 

“What? Stop being silly.” Jinwoo laughed. “Here you go.” He announces after slicing Seungyoon’s chicken.

 

“Are you sure you’re not plotting to kill me?”

 

“You’re just being ridiculous, Seungyoon.” Jinwoo replied, with the smile not leaving his face which send shiver down Seungyoon’s spine.

 

“You’re being weird in case you haven’t noticed. I feel like something bad will happen the moment I turn my back. And not ‘bad meaning good but bad meaning bad’ you know.” Seungyoon embraces himself.

 

“This has always been the way I am. I’m not being weird.”

 

“Yes, you are.”

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“No.”

 

“Wait a minute.” Seungyoon eyed Jinwoo suspiciously.

 

“What?”

 

“Did something happen between you and Mino?”

 

“Y-ye-- YAHHH!”

 

Seungyoon chuckled. “Okay, so what is it then?”

 

“Pssh. Nothing.”

 

“Nothing? You would’ve puked if you ever saw yourself just now. I’m sure if I ask you to give me your homework in exchange for my underwear you could’ve done so in a heartbeat.”

 

“Eww. Who would want your 3 days worn underwear?”

 

“You will have all of it delivered in your room if you don’t start talking so better stop creeping me out. It has something to do with Mino. I can sense it.”

 

Jinwoo averted his gaze while biting his lower lip. “W-well. He waited for me last night at the dorm entrance.”

 

“And….?”

 

“And we just talked.” Jinwoo concluded.

 

“Talk? Talk about what? Please tell me you said you like him.”

 

“What?! No! Why will I do that?”

 

“Why not? You do like him.” Seungyoon exclaimed in frustration.

 

Before Jinwoo can retort, B.I. suddenly popped with a tray full of food and sat beside Jinwoo. “Hey you noisy duo, don’t mind me joining to make a trio.” He beamed.

 

“Of course not, how can we shun away such a blessing.” Seungyoon enthused.

 

“You mean as your doughnut supplier, right?” Hanbin replied.

 

Jinwoo shook his head amusingly at the two. He didn’t notice when it started but Hanbin had been a constant addition in their world making them a trio. He would always hangout with them whenever he got free time. Maybe he considers him and Seungyoon as friends now- real friends, not the phony people surrounding him all the time before. But real, actual friends. Jinwoo hopes.

 

“Hey guys, have you heard anything about the Mix and Match Event?” Jinwoo suddenly asked.

 

B.I. and Seungyoon exchange glances before looking back at Jinwoo. “Are you going to participate, cutie pie?” B.I. asked.

 

“I’m not sure. I don’t know much about it. Jennie just mentioned that this year’s event have an interesting theme.”

 

“Interesting? Heh.” Seungyoon snorted. “It’s interesting alright. This year’s theme is ‘getting even’, I heard it’s to give a chance for people to ‘get back’ whether you got conned or bullied or if you’re jealous over someone. You can challenge anyone you like over anything and it won’t be held against you. And I call it bull.”

 

“Hey, you make it sound so bad.” B.I. interrupted. “I think it’s a good chance for the students to show something they’re good at. For example a nerd can challenge his idiotic-all-looks-no-brains classmate into a computer game showing he can be cool in his own ways. Or a girl jealous of her boyfriend’s ex can do a beauty or popularity challenge. You know, making people regain their confidence or something. Maybe it could actually help the victims of bullies to stand up for once and empower them.” B.I. continued. “You know, just a platform for people to get a chance for a breakthrough from their ty situations.”

 

“Yes, and also to give a chance for people to abuse those chances. How about physical challenges? Like fighting and stuffs, someone might seriously get hurt.” Seungyoon pointed out.

 

“There will be rules and mediators of course. It’s not like people are just going to stand there to watch and do nothing if that happens.” Hanbin explained.

 

Jinwoo shifted his focus right and left as he watches the two continuously banter about the event, when he suddenly had a random thought. “What if someone challenges me over something? Can I decline?” He asked to no one in particular.

 

“Huh? Challenge you? Is Jennie going to be there?” Seungyoon probed.

 

“Jennie Kim? What does she have to do with this?” Hanbin asked quizzically.

 

“It’s none of your business.” Seungyoon hissed.

 

“I guess she’ll be there since she really sound excited about it.” Jinwoo recalled.

 

“Then you should be there.” Seungyoon declared with finality.

 

XXX

 

Jinwoo heaved a deep breath after finally getting rid of Seungyoon. They were all supposed to go on their separate classes but Seungyoon insisted that he needed to talk to him more about Jennie without having B.I. around. It ends up an eight minute talk of Seungyoon’s suspicion about Jennie. He claims that the girl spies on him as he always see her around wherever he was. Of course Jinwoo just brushed off the idea. It’s offensive to just accuse someone who didn’t do anything wrong, plus it’s coming from his best friend to start with. It’s Seungyoon’s mental health that he should actually be worried about.

 

He’s on his way to his next class when he heard a girl called out.

 

“Hi, Jinwoo.”

 

Speaking of the dev-- I mean of the ‘girl’.

 

Jinwoo smiled and waved courteously.

 

“Are you going to the Mix and Match Event? Mino said he’s coming so I’ll be there too.”

 

Of course, you will.

 

“I’m not really sure. I wanted to but I heard it might turn out unexpectedly bloody.”

 

“It’s okay since Mino will be there. Who you heard that from anyway?”

 

“My friend.” Jinwoo replied.

 

“Your friend? Kang Seungyoon?” Jennie pressed on.

 

“You know him too? I have no idea he was this popular.”

 

“Hmm.” Jennie kept silent and looked down as she seems to be contemplating over something before she finally spoke. “You see Jinwoo, I didn’t want to be the bearer of this news but I think you should know more about your friend.”

 

“What do you mean?” Jinwoo frowned in confusion at the turn of the conversation. Of course I know my friend. He’s the chairman and founder of YG University’s gossip command center and ‘get Jinwoo and Mino together’ is his number one goal in life. In fact, Jinwoo is almost sure that ‘get rid of Jennie Kim’ is his second goal in life. Funny that the girl is standing right in front of him now talking about his friend.

 

“Well, have you ever wondered why he only has you as a friend? I mean you have Mino and of course you can consider me your friend too. But have you ever seen him with anybody else before?”

 

“I’m not sure where this is going though.”

 

“I have one scholar classmate who said she knows Seungyoon even before university. I heard rumours about him and they’re not really good ones. I hope it’s not true but you can find it out yourself if you want,” she said before walking away immediately as soon as the students flooded the hallway when a class got dismissed.

 

Jinwoo was left wondering. “What does she mean? Is there something I don’t know about Seungyoon?”

 

XXX

 

A/N: Seungyoon's story is coming up next, I hope you guys anticpate it ^^ But is no one interested with the Mix and Match event? Most comments are about hanwoo and 'where is Mino' lol I hope those people that are looking for more minwoo interactions are satisfied with Mino's appearance in this chapter, it's actually other character's time to shine in this point of the series but I end giving you guys a peek of Mino's heart in this chapter too >,< As always, thank you very much for all the subs and upvotes, and of course the lovely comments, keep them coming :D I will never get tired of thanking you guys for your support for this story. I know there's a lot of spelling and grammar error, I see them whenever I reread any chap, the story is mostly unedited so please just ignore them and just enjoy hehe ^^ Kamsahmida! /bow/

 

love lots,

d.for.v

powered by minwoo minions <3