Freshman Zero

Zero and Hero

Jinwoo’s jaw seems like it has a broken screw as it drops down after entering the school premises. His eyes almost popped out of its socket as he darts his sight around. Expensive items hanging from every student, the entire place looks so grand and luxurious, he could almost smell the scent of money on the building walls. Any outsider will think that the place is rather an exclusive high-end shopping district. What’s with the branded fashion boutiques and franchised restaurants at every corner.

 

“Oh my god,” Jinwoo heard a girl beside her cries. The girl is already producing weird noises as she breathes heavily while eyeing one student with a limited edition of Prada bag collection. He’s sure the girl will probably be sent to the clinic soon because of dehydration judging from the amount of saliva dripping from .

 

“Alright, smarties!” the school guide, with thick eye glasses and pimples camping on his face called. “Welcome to YG University, the dwelling of the elites which is not really a school fit for poor geniuses like you and me but we’ll study here anyway because it’s for free.” YG University recruits a hundred or so academically good students as scholars to somehow uphold the remaining dignity left in its name being an educational institution. “Anything else you need to locate is at the map handed to you. Now, listen carefully to my advice. If you want to survive at least a year or two in this place, do not associate yourselves amongst the rich. If anyone tries to get close to you, run! They loathe us because we’re smart and poor. So that’s all, live well and survive.” He said dramatically and placed his right fist on his chest after bowing as if saying his final good bye before sprinting away.

 

“What? Live well and survive?” One student murmur after snapping out from he’s trance.

 

“I knew this place will be like hell.” A girl declared with concern.

 

Jinwoo tried to lighten the atmosphere. “It’s okay guys, let’s just try to get along if we cannot be friends with them rich kids.”

 

“He’s right, it’s not like we have a choice anyway. For now, let’s go to our dorm and look for our rooms.” A cute skinny guy announced.

 

The flock of freshmen wander around the east side of the campus looking for the dormitory but all they see are rows of classy looking 4 storey apartments and its tenant’s scrutinizing stares and judging scowls.

 

“Are these supposedly dorms?”

“No kidding. These looks more like a resort or hotel than dorms.”

“It’s really nice. I hope our dorm looks like these too.”

 

The awed and excited murmurings died down as soon as they reached the 16th block from the rows of apartments. Two 70’s looking building opposite each other sits at the furthest end of the compound that highly contrast the modern luxurious buildings that they just passed by.

 

“So, this is our dorms. It still looks pretty decent though.”  A voice from the crowd commented.

 

Jinwoo together with the bunch of freshmen boys entered the building at the right and the girls went to the left building. Each one got their own solo room. They won't be treated as trash by the management since they're the supposed 'saviour' of the school's image, but they won't be treated as royalties as well, that's a given fact. Though his room looks nothing luxurious and quite small, Jinwoo’s already happy to have his own bed, study table, closet, bathroom and fridge in his room. He smiled in satisfaction before arranging his stuffs and calling it a day.

 

He’s excited for tomorrow. He’s excited to see him.

 

XXX

 

When the school bell rang Jinwoo hurriedly looked at his first schedule. He's almost late, having his apartment at the farthest corner of the dormitory compound is an inconvenience for early schedules as he has to walk for 15 minutes to reach his department building, which means he has to wake up early so he won’t be late. And sleep for him is the most important thing next to his grey hoodies.

 

Jinwoo’s so sure he’ll develop a new habit of getting lost in this school, nevertheless, he sprinted to the location of his first class.

 

“Damn, why does it need to be in the 4th floor of all the marbled floors? Room 404. Where the hell is that?” Suddenly a door with ‘404’ engraved on it materializes in front of him. Jinwoo exclaimed a triumphant “Yes!” for not getting lost on his first day.

 

As he was about to enter, the door flung open revealing a guy soaking wet, clutching his bag on his chest with one arm and dragging a floor mop with the other. He’s certain that this is what the school guide was talking about yesterday. He thought surviving here might need a skillful ninja-ing for a small guy like him.

 

“Hey kid, you forgot your bucket.” Somebody said from inside the class. Without any thoughts Jinwoo peep through the door, and right at that moment, he knew that he just made the biggest wrong decision yet in his college life.

 

Suddenly, the bucket in question came flying directly towards his face and he was very sure it would hurt like hell. He thought it was too late to dodge it. “Bye for now, my pretty face,” he uttered and shut his eyes firmly, waiting for his certain death. Jinwoo runs a thousand scenarios per second in his head, thinking of his happy childhood, his love ones and friends as he waits for the impending pain that he has no doubt will send him to his next life. But nothing came.

 

Instead, Jinwoo felt a familiar presence beside him. He slowly opened his eyes, blinking. He sees a tan hand hovering in front of his sight, holding the bucket that was supposed to connect with his face. He smells that familiar scent that makes his heart race. And Jinwoo doesn’t need to look up to know who he is. It’s him. His Hero.

 

XXX

 

Author:

KYAAAAHHHH !!!!! HAHAHAHA !!!! How was it??? I'm really nervous for this one. Please comment below so I'll know your thoughts about this. ^^ Thank you for your support lovely readers !!! And just for reference, here's what I have in mind for the setting of the scenes hehe ><

 

YG University (real life: Oxford Brookes University)

 

Luxury Dormitories

Jinwoo's dorm

love lots,

d.for.v

powered by minwoo minions