Chapter 12

A Perfect Secret

               The news about Seohyun’s pregnancy spread like wildfire. Everyone viewed her in a bad way. The rumors about her working at the strip club and being a e had been spread to the lecturers too. The lecturers had a discussion about this and they decided to kick her out from college but they had to wait for the confirmation from the chancellor. So far, there’s no news from him.

               Because people kept talking about Seohyun, Luhan warned all the students not to talk bad about her. If he heard someone talk bad about her, they will face EXO’s wrath by receiving a kick in their from Tao and Xiumin. They stopped but still talked bad about her when Luhan or EXO is not around. Girls especially, felt jealous with Seohyun because Luhan defended her.

               They started to think if Seohyun’s pregnancy had anything to do with Luhan after what happened at the infirmary. Could it be Luhan is responsible for Seohyun’s pregnancy? Once, there was a student who talked about this with her friends and her voice can be heard clearly because they were in a library unaware that Luhan was there at the other shelf. They encountered with him and gasped, worried that he will get mad or something but he went away without saying any word to them.

               Because she's pregnant, Seohyun started to stress out with all the insults towards her and her baby. She wanted to cry. She didn’t care if they called her with a lot of names but at least don’t call this innocent baby like that too. She wanted to tell Luhan about this but afraid that he might do something to them and kept for herself. But, he knew what the students called her and their baby. He makes sure that they won’t get away with it. They’re dead!

               “Ouch!” Seohyun flinched in pain while clutching her stomach. She felt a sharp pain that poking in her stomach which hurt her. She bit her lip and tried to stand straight after bending her body due to the pain and went to the class.

 


 

               Seohyun prepared some food for customer when suddenly she felt the sharp pain again. “Ouch!” All the workers at the kitchen turned to her when they heard her shrieking. Boa went to her and held her. “Seohyun, are you okay? What’s wrong?” She asked her with concern and asked Eunhyuk to call Dana at the counter and she came right away.

               She checked on Seohyun and Seohyun felt a bit better after that. The sharp pain is gone and she can breathe normally. “I think you should go home, Seohyun. Let me send you to home or do you want to call Luhan?” Seohyun shook her head. She didn’t want to go home now because she just started her work. “No, unnie. I don’t want to go home.”

               “No! You have to go home. Come, I send you.” Dana took her car key but she rejected her offer. Dana didn’t want her to walk home, especially she’s pregnant and worried if something happen to her while she walk back home. Dana insisted to send her home and Seohyun had no choice but to accept her offer.

 


 

               Omma is back! Omma is back!” Taemin, Jongin and Sehun shouted in joy when their mother came back. Luhan raised his eyebrow when he saw her at the entrance with the boys. He looked at the clock on the wall; it’s 4.30pm and she’s already back from work. “You’re home early.”

               “They told me to go home early,” she answered to him. “Is there anything happen?” She shook her head telling him that she’s fine. She didn’t want to tell him that she felt pain inside her stomach because she didn’t want him to get worried. She will tell him if the pain is continuous.

               She went upstairs while he went to the kitchen. He opened the fridge and took a carton of milk. Then, he poured it in to the glass before kept the milk back in the fridge. Seohyun needs a lot of nutrient, most importantly; calcium since baby took the nutrient for mother. So, he decided to bring a glass of milk for her.

               He went upstairs to their room and opened the door. “Joohyun!” He was shock to see her sitting on the floor while holding her stomach and her eyes shut tightly as well as clenching her teeth. He hugged her and tapped her cheek. “Joohyun! Joohyun! What’s wrong with you? Joohyun! Open your eyes! Joohyun!”

 


 

               Luhan wandered back and forth while waiting for Seohyun in the hospital. Taemin, Jongin, and Sehun followed their father’s movement. They were wondering why their father behaved like that but didn’t ask him. They looked at him bewilderedly.

               He looked so distress. He feared if what happened to her from the past comes again. He shook his head; don’t want to remember that nightmare again. Doctor confirmed that she’s healthy and can get pregnant again. There’s no way that nightmare will comes back. He didn’t want that to happen once again in his life. That’s enough for him to suffer back then. He really didn’t want Seohyun to leave him.

 


~5 years ago~

               “Are they asleep?” Seohyun asked Luhan who was watching television in the living room. He nodded at her who was standing at the door of the living room while holding a cup and saucers on her hands. He put Taemin and Jongin to bed because they were too tired from playing with him. “I make you a milk tea.” She gave the cup to him which he took it quickly from her hands.

               “Joohyun, you shouldn’t have. How many times do I have to remind you that you’re pregnant? You shouldn’t do this thing. If I want to drink, I will get by myself.” He reminded her about the new person inside her belly. Seohyun is confirmed pregnant for second time with her third child. They had no worries now because they’re no longer in school anymore. They haven’t gone to any college yet. EXO promised that they will enter the college together and graduate together so they had to wait for the others to finish their school and Luhan wanted Seohyun to be with him as well so she followed his suit.

               Seohyun was about to sit next to Luhan before she stopped making him looked at her in confused. She sat next to him and held her stomach while making a face that looked like she wanted to vomit. She coughed and fell to the sofa. He screamed her name while hugging her. He tapped her cheek to wake her up but she didn’t. He took her to the hospital with his car.

 


 

               “Luhan, what happened?” Mrs. Lu asked him immediately once Mr. and Mrs. Lu arrived at the hospital with sleeping Taemin and Jongin on their shoulder. Luhan was too panicked about Seohyun that he left his sons at home alone. He called his parents to go to his house to bring along Taemin and Jongin with them before they come to hospital.

               “I don’t know, mom. Joohyun passed out all of sudden.” He was worried about her. He hoped that nothing bad will happen to her and their baby. Dr. Yeonhee came out and she wanted to meet them to talk about Seohyun.

 


 

               “After seeing the results from the tests that we did, it looks like there’s some sort of a growth like a tumor in her uterus. It looks like the tumor is in the stage one but if it stays too long, it will develop to a cancer and it will spread everywhere.” Dr. Yeonhee explained to the Mr. and Mrs. Lu and Luhan. They were too shock to know that Seohyun have a tumor at very young age. She’s only 18 years old and she had this kind of disease. “How did it happen?” Mrs. Lu was curious about her beloved daughter-in-law. How did she get it?

               “It could be inheritance. We’re still not sure about this.” They looked at each other. Inheritance? From who? Seohyun’s father died in a car accident. Her mother? Yes, could be her mother. They didn’t know what kind of disease that her mother had. Seohyun probably didn’t know either. The village didn’t have any hospital or clinic that time. So, the inheritance that Dr. Yeonhee meant probably from her mother.

               “What are you going to do now?” Luhan asked her if there’s any cure for her.

               “Since the tumor is in the stage one, we can remove it by surgery but she’s pregnant now and we have no choice but to abort the baby.” She explained to him. “No!” Mrs. Lu shouted after hearing the word ‘abort’. Of course she is against it. “What if we wait until she gives birth first, and then do the surgery?” Mrs. Lu suggested that they should wait until the baby is born. She didn’t want them to harm her grandchild.

               I’m afraid that it will turn into cancer and worst, she will die when she delivered.” Luhan gasped after what he heard for Dr. Yeonhee. The word ‘die’ made him shivered. He loves Seohyun so much that he didn’t want to leave her or vice versa. Luhan looked at his parents with a sad gaze. He thought about the decision although it will make his parents, especially his mother to get angry.

               “Mom, dad, I’ve made up my mind. I know that you’re going to mad at me but I’m going for the first choice; abort the baby and do the surgery.” Just like what he expected, his mother was angry at him. “Mom, I know that you hate this but I have no choice. I love her so much that I didn’t want her to go. Both of you love her too. You treated her like your own daughter. You love her so much because you didn’t have a daughter. I didn’t want to leave her and I didn’t want her to leave me.” Mr. and Mrs. Lu pondered after hearing Luhan’s words. What he said is true. They didn’t want her to leave them too. Seohyun is like their one and only daughter. Now they thought that the feeling of losing Seohyun is just like how they almost losing Luhan too. They were in dilemma.

               “Don’t worry mom, dad. After she is done with the surgery, she can get pregnant again.” He assured them so that they allow for Seohyun to abort the baby.

               But, after doing the surgery, she might not get pregnant again.” Luhan turned to Dr. Yeonhee abruptly. Another problem has arise. One of them has to sacrifice; either Seohyun or their baby. What are they going to do now? They don’t want Seohyun that they love most to leave them forever at the same time they don’t want their innocent baby to be aborted. Luhan heaved heavy sigh thinking about it. Why can’t he have both of them?

 


 

               Luhan and his parents along with Taemin and Jongin waited in front of Seohyun’s room. Dr. Yeonhee and nurses were inside the room to check on Seohyun. They were silent. The doctor’s words echoed in their mind; ‘there’s some sort of growth like a tumor in her uterus’, ‘if it stays too long, it will develop to a cancer’, ‘we can remove it by surgery’, ‘we have no choice but to abort the baby’, ‘it will turn into cancer and worst, she will die’, ‘after doing the surgery, she might not get pregnant again’.

               “What should we do, mom, dad? What should we do?” Luhan asked them without looking at them. His parents had a hard time to choose; Seohyun or unborn baby? Mrs. Lu definitely didn’t want the baby but she loves Seohyun so much and it will be hard for them to look after the baby without the mother. She looked at Taemin which was on her arms and Jongin on Luhan’s arm. What if Seohyun sacrifice herself? It would be sad for Taemin, Jongin and the unborn baby because they never met their mother and they have no loves from the mother just like Seohyun from her father.

               “Let’s talk to her and ask her which one she will choose.” Mr. Lu suggested that. Luhan and Mrs. Lu turned to him. Ask Seohyun to choose? What if she chose the one that against their will? But both of them were against their will. “We’ll support her decision no matter what, even if she chooses to abort the baby. Just this time.” Mrs. Lu muttered slowly. It’s hard to choose between two people that she loves but whatever Seohyun chooses, she will accept it.

               Dr. Yeonhee came out from the room along with nurses. “She’s awake now but I didn’t tell her about that. I thought that you will tell her personally.” They nodded at her and bowed before entered the room.

 


 

               They entered and saw Seohyun smiling at them. Seohyun wondered why they looked so sad. She knew that she made them worried but she can’t help but the look on their face looked sorrow. It’s like she’s going to die soon. She hoped that she made them worried so badly that they looked sorrow.

               Luhan gave Jongin to his father and sat on the bed while holding Seohyun’s hands. Mr. and Mrs. Lu sat on the chair provided. Luhan took a deep breath and released it slowly before he said something, “Joohyun, we have something to tell you.” Seohyun looked deeply into his doe eyes. Something tells her that he will say something bad. Hopefully it’s not about their baby.

               “Doctor told me that you have a tumor in your uterus.” Her eyes widened when he said that. Does that means she’s going to die? “There’s a surgery to remove the tumor but you have to abort our baby.” She put their hands that held together to her belly and rubbed it slowly. Her eyes started to form tears.

               What if I don’t want to abort our baby?” Her voice cracked when asking him. “You will die. Joohyun, just abort this baby and do the surgery. I love you so much. I don’t want you to leave me.” He put his hands on her cheeks and wiped her tears. “Luhan, what are you doing? Didn’t we agree that Seohyun should decide for herself?” Mr. Lu reminded him about the choices. They agreed to let Seohyun chooses it.

               “Like this, Seohyun. If you want to do the surgery, you have to abort the baby but you can’t get pregnant anymore after you do the surgery. But if you don’t want to abort the baby, you will die when you gives birth to him. So, you have to choose. We will give a time for you to think wisely, Seohyun. We will support your decision.” Mr. Lu told her in a soft voice. She surprised that she can’t get pregnant after doing the surgery. She looked at three of them. Their tears brimmed in their eyes. This is the toughest decision she had to make. This is between life and death.

               Seohyun closed her eyes for a few minutes. She took a deep breath and breathed out and then opened her eyes. “I have made a decision.” Her tears flowed to her cheeks. Everyone waited for her answer. They were so nervous of what will be her decision. Which one she will sacrifice? Herself or her baby?

               “I-I will sacrifice myself.” Her voice cracked. Mr. and Mrs. Lu broke down into tears when she announced that she will save her baby and she will leave them forever. Luhan dumbfounded with Seohyun’s choice. He couldn’t accept that she will leave him. He shook his head, “No, Joohyun! Don’t leave me! Why did you do this to me? You don’t love me anymore?” He shook her shoulder hardly. He was so mad at her for her decision. He felt betrayed.

               “I love you. I will always love you. But I can’t abort this baby, Luhan. It’s our baby.” She had a hard time to make a decision. It’s not easy for her to sacrifice herself for the sake of their baby. In fact, she felt scared to die. “You betrayed me, Joohyun. How dare you betray me! Alright, if that’s what you want. Go ahead! But I won’t accept that baby as my child. That baby is not my child!” He went out with a rage and slammed the door, ignoring his parents calling him in anger.

 


 

               Ever since that day, Luhan didn’t come home. He stayed at his friends’ house. His phone was turned off. They couldn’t reach him. Seohyun spent her night crying because she missed Luhan so much. Her eyes were swollen from crying. Mr. and Mrs. Lu tried their best to spend with her as much as possible before she left them. They took care of her very well. They gave her everything.

               But Seohyun waited for Luhan to come and stay by her side. She knew he is still mad at her. She knew him very well. He is stubborn and has a short temper. She wanted him. She is longing for him. Those sleepless nights, hours of crying while waiting for him brought a lot of pain to her. She can’t believe that he didn’t want to accept this baby. It’s their baby. How could he say that!

               One day, Luhan came back home. His parents scolded him for leaving Seohyun alone in the house, letting her suffering herself. Seohyun watched them silently from the kitchen. She was hurt because Luhan didn’t care about her anymore. “Why should I care about her? She wants to die. Let her die!”

               “You little-” Mr. Lu punched him right away making Mrs. Lu and Seohyun shocked. Seohyun went to them and stopped Mr. Lu from punching him again. “Please don’t do this to him.” Seohyun pleaded to Mr. Lu and he stopped because he didn’t want to break Seohyun’s heart since she’s pregnant and she will be gone soon. He wanted to treat her very well. Seohyun told them that she will talk to him in the room.

 


 

               “What do you want to talk to me?” Luhan asked her in a harsh voice which making Seohyun scared. She always scared when he gets angry. “I miss you, Luhan.” Luhan scoffed at her when she told him that she missed him. “Now you miss me? But you were trying to leave me. What is that?” He shouted without looking at her.

               He couldn’t bear to look at her. Even though he act tough right now, but his eyes couldn’t lie. Every night, he cried thinking that she’s going to leave him with their two sons and the unborn baby. He turned off his phone because he didn’t want to look at her picture that was on his phone. He will cry if he saw her and now her sobbing makes him becoming weaker.

               “There’s no point for me to stay alive. I can’t get pregnant after that. I can’t be a real woman anymore. I feel ashamed for myself because I can’t get pregnant anymore. How long you can stay with me knowing that I couldn’t give you a child?” She yelled her frustration to him. “ARGH!” Luhan pushed in anger everything on the table to the floor including a frame of their picture that the glass shattered.

               His parents entered when they heard a glass shattered. They were shocked to see their room in mess. Mr. Lu turned to Luhan, “What have you done this time?” He grabbed the collar of his shirt but was stopped by Mrs. Lu. She told him that she will talk to Luhan.

 


 

               “Luhan, I know that you’re upset with it but please care about her feelings too. I’m sad that she chose that as well but I accept her decision. Right now, I want to spend my time with her. I know you are sad but once she leaves, it will become worst. Every night, she cried for you. Do you know that? I’m worried if the baby will affect everything.” His mother’s words lingered in his mind. As much as he’s upset right now, what will happen once she leaves him forever? He will become depress because he misses her.

               He changed a little for her. He is always by her side. He told her not to leave him by his side. Seohyun is happy when he is near her but Luhan is still Luhan who can’t help but cried when he looked at her. Every day, his tears fell from his eyes. His heart clenched whenever he saw her. He made sure that she didn’t see him crying.

               However, he is still didn’t accept the baby. He often avoided from touching her belly every time she asked him to touch. She knew about it and decided to tell him something, “Oppa, once this baby is born, I won’t be here anymore. I want you to take care of this baby. Please raise him very well. Don’t forget to tell our kids about me. Show them my picture. Tell them how we met and got married. Will you promise to me? One more thing, please don’t hate our baby because of me, okay oppa?”

 


 

               Dr. Yeonhee came out from the room and the boys surrounded her asking if they can enter. She nodded and the boys entered the room happily to meet their mother. Dr. Yeonhee still works in this hospital because she loves the environment and friendly people. She rejected all offer for her to transfer to another hospital.

               “Seohyun has been stressed out lately. Please don’t give her a lot of pressure.” Dr. Yeonhee advised him not to stress her out because it will harm her baby. Luhan nodded at her. “I hope that you can take care of her.” She bowed and turned.

               “Dr.” Luhan called her to ask something but his tongue tied because he was nervous. He stammered whenever he tried to say. “She’s fine, Luhan. She’s completely healthy now. You don’t have to worry about that. Just don’t give her stress.” As if she could read his mind, she reassured him that Seohyun is fine.

 


 

               Luhan entered the room and saw his sons entertained their mother happily. Seohyun noticed that Luhan is coming and smiled at him. He sat on the bed while holding her hands. He asked their sons to play outside because he has something to discuss with her. They followed their father’s instruction and went outside.

               They looked at each other without muttering anything. “I’m sorry.” Luhan decided to break the silence by apologizing to her. “For not protecting you and our baby. You must have a lot of stress. I know what they’re calling you and our baby but I will make sure that they will keep their mouth shut after this.” He promised to her before kissed her lovingly. He tilted his head and deepened the kiss while holding her nape. She responded to his kiss and parted her lips for him to enter.

               Omma?! Appa?! What are you doing?” The innocent Sehun questioned them with Taemin and Jongin trailing behind him. They broke the kiss quickly with Seohyun hid her face on Luhan’s chest, feeling embarrassed to look at her innocent sons. Luhan hugged her while caressing her back and his face became red from embarrassment.

 


 

               Luhan was searching on how to make ddeokbokki; spicy rice cake on the internet. Seohyun wanted to eat ddeokbokki so he will make it for her. Actually, he asked her if she wanted to eat anything or craved something to eat and she said that she wanted to eat that but only if Luhan would make it.

               He poured the water into the pot and put the seven anchovies into it. This is his first time cooking and it’s for Seohyun so he made sure that it’s tasty since she’s a great cook. He looked at his phone again while splitting the rice cakes. “Oh, green onion!” He completely forgot one of the ingredients that will make ddeokbokki tastier.

               He checked in the fridge and took green onion and chives while looking at it confusedly. “Which one is green onion?” He didn’t know how green onion looks like and he had to search on the internet again to see how it looks like. “Is it this one?” He held the green onion while looking back and forth his phone and green onion to make sure it is right.

               When the anchovy’s broth started to boil, he picked up the anchovies from the pot using chopsticks. He was clumsy while picking up the anchovies because it was too hot. He mixed hot paper paste, hot pepper flakes and sugar into a small bowl before put it into the broth. Then, he put the rice cakes and mixed it until the broth is thicken.

               When it’s almost done, he tasted it but coughed and rushed to drink water.  He was huffing and puffing and his face turned red after eating his first-time-made ddeokbokki. He started to sweat as well. It was so spicy. Seohyun will not be able to eat this.

               Oppa, are you done? It smells so good.” Seohyun appeared making Luhan jumped in surprise. She entered the kitchen and took a look at ddeokbokki that Luhan made. She grabbed the chopsticks but was stopped by Luhan making her frown. “You can’t eat this, Joohyun. It’s too spicy. This is not good for our baby.” He took her chopsticks away but felt guilty when she pouted. “You don’t let me to eat.” She sulked and pouted again.

               He sighed and took one rice cake to give it to her. She ate it with a beam and Luhan held a glass of water as a standby if she needs to drink. “It’s delicious.” She took her chopsticks from Luhan and eats again. “Isn’t it spicy?” He doubted that she could stand that spiciness since her face became red. “It is but since you made it, I love it!” She took another rice cake and stuffed into .

               That night, Seohyun finished the whole plate of ddeokbokki. Luhan didn’t eat it because it’s too spicy for him and he forbade his sons to eat it. Oppa, you should cook for me more.” Seohyun winked at him as an aegyo. Luhan shook his head while looking at her finished the ddeokbokki happily with her red face, sniffing nose, and sweats all over her forehead.

 

 

 

 

 


For a few chapters, there will be a lot of flashbacks and it's about Sehun's birth.