Thirteen

Maybe You're More Than A Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Youngji was about to get discharged when Jackson showed up at her room.

“What are you doing here?” Youngji asked with a surprised look on her face.

“What do you think?” Jackson looked at her before handing her coat, “Put it on.”

“I don’t know.” Youngji rubbed her ear.

“Don’t you think you should treat your hero?” Jackson hinted, “I caught you before you hit the floor.”

Youngji looked at Jackson, who had a calm face. When did Jackson look so charming? There were sides of him that she didn’t know like seeing his panicked face just before she fainted or hearing his soothing voice. Youngji lowered her eyes to the floor when she felt self-conscious.

“I’m hungry for samgyupsal.” Jackson didn’t notice Youngji’s shyness.

“Okay, if it’s only for a while.”Youngji looked her phone before she smiled.  There was plenty of time.

Jackson walked away looking for a restaurant with Youngji quickening her steps. 

“Wait, let’s walk together” Youngji pulled on his sleeve causing Jackson to slow down.

“I’m hungry so hurry up,” Jackson smiled.

As they head inside a samgyupsal restaurant, an older lady sat them at a table.

“Eat as much as you like. My treat.” Jackson took out his wallet.

“Huh? I thought… ”

“I’m not going to let you pay. That’s what my mama told me.” Jackson called over the owner, “Besides, I was the one who invited you.”

“What is this?” Youngji thought about this outing as she tucked her wallet back inside her coat.

“Ma’am. I would like three bowls of white rice. Extra lettuce wraps. Two servings of pork. And one bottle of soju.” Jackson told the owner.

“I’ve seen the two of you before.” The lady recognized them.

“Thanks.” Youngji looked really happy that more people were recognizing her.

“What a really nice young couple.” The lady commented before walking off.

“Couple…Couple” Youngji freaked out inside.

“She mistook us as a couple.” Youngji flushed. She wanted to find out what he thought.

“People do that, don’t they” Jackson said before taking a sip of soju.

 

--

 

Once the grilled pork was done, Jackson ate in happiness. He noticed that Youngji was struggling with her chopsticks.

“Here” Jackson picked up one piece of grilled pork and placed it in front of .

“Thanks.” Youngji took a bite chewing it slowly.

“It feels like forever since I’ve eaten grilled pork.” Jackson laughed before stuffing rice in his mouth.

Jackson noticed Youngji was checking her phone several times.

“What aren’t you eating? I ordered a lot” Jackson complained.

“Sorry.” Youngji broke contact with her phone and made a lettuce wrap and stuffing it in .

Jackson could tell Youngji had her mind on something else, someone else tonight. And he couldn’t refocus her attention to him. It didn’t feel right.

His thoughts were interrupted when Youngji looked at her phone and glanced at Jackson with a weak smile.

“I’m going to make you a lettuce wrap” Jackson grabbed a handful of lettuce.

“Don’t make it too large” Youngji complained with a cute pout.

“Don’t worry” Jackson closed the wrap to feed it to Youngji.

“Wahh, it’s getting really cold outside.” The cold breeze drifted inside when someone stepped inside the restaurant.

“Hey are you cold?” Jackson stood up to offer his jacket when the cold air entered the restaurant.

Youngji’s face grew with worry as she looked outside the window. She didn’t hear his words and scrambled for her coat.

 “Sorry. It’s my mom. She wants me to help close the café. Sorry Jackson” Youngji checked her phone.

“It’s alright. Go ahead. Do you want me to walk you?” Jackson sighed.

“No. It’s alright. It’s not far.” Youngji seemed nervous before she headed out.

As Jackson watched Youngji move far away from his sight, he felt more dismayed than ever.

Youngji was hiding something from him. He didn’t like this feeling. Jackson poured himself soju and downed it.

 

--

 

JB shivered in the cold. He should have worn more clothing because a sweater and a coat was not enough. JB breathed warm air from his mouth into his hands before rubbing them together. In the near distance, he saw a figure running towards him in great speed.

“I’m sorry. I’m late.” Youngji tried to catch her breathe.

“It’s alright. I knew you could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter