Eleven

Maybe You're More Than A Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the longest twenty-three minutes of Jackson’s life. Every time he looked at the clock, it felt like forever. Jackson covered his face with his hands as he sighed. Jackson brushed Youngji’s hair with his index finger.

“You’re so pale” Jackson said, “You should eat more as well.”

Jackson retracted his hand quickly from surprise when he heard the door open. It was Youngji’s manager who went outside for a minute to answer a phone call.

“Thank you, Jackson” Youngji’s manager was appreciative that Jackson was nearby. Although he knew her manager would take great care of her, Jackson couldn’t possible leave Youngji. Not at least, until Jackson could speak to Youngji.

“I’m sorry that I couldn’t help out more” Jackson looked at Youngji as he held her left hand. Her hands felt so small and cold. Jackson decided to warm up her hands by rubbing them with his hands.

The doctor suddenly opened the door, stepped inside holding his binder and nodded to the both of them.

“Doctor, is she going to be fine?” Jackson stood up from his seat to ask the doctor.

“Ms. Heo should be waking up soon. With some rest, she will be fine.” The doctor stated.

“What did you find out?” Her manager said politely.

“We found large concentrations of chloroform in the roses, enough to pass out, but not enough to die. The amount of chloroform in Ms. Heo should dissipate quickly.”

Jackson raised his eyebrow towards the doctor as did Youngji’s manager. Jackson wasn’t the only one who thought the doctor was weird.

“When I saw those flowers, I knew something was off. Who smells blood red roses? How can she not smell the chloroform?” Jackson said when he remembered what happened.

Ring! Ring!

“Excuse me, I have to get this.” Youngji’s manager apologized as she walked outside.

“Mr. Wang, you did a great job. Any minute later, it could have been worse than this. This girl has a really great boyfriend.” The doctor smiled as he gave Jackson a proud look.

“I’m not…We’re not dating” Jackson chuckled awkwardly.

“I’m sorry I just assumed from the way…Nevermind,” The doctor retracted his words, “I just need to do a couple more tests and Ms. Heo can leave by tomorrow evening.”

“This doctor is something” Jackson thought as he watched the doctor leave the room.

Jackson walked back to his seat next to her hospital bed. Jackson held her hands again to warm them up.

Youngji’s eyes were still closed.

Maybe talking to unconscious patients could wake them up. It worked in dramas. Jackson thought.

“Hey. How are you feeling?” Jackson said in a comforting voice.

Jackson felt a response when her hands squeezed his hands. Youngji opened her eyes slowly and drifted to her hands.

 “Your hand” Youngji spoke.

“Idiot, you scared me half to death. Next time you see blood red roses, don’t smell it. In fact, don’t accept it.” Jackson felt relieved as he scolded her.

“Your hand” Youngji repeated as she couldn’t release her stare at their hands.

Jackson realized that Youngji was talking about their hands and flushed. Just then, the door opened and her manager stepped inside.

 

--

 

“Hey, Jackson. Do you mind if Youngji and I have a talk alone?” Her manager asked.

Jackson nodded hesitantly as he got up from his seat. Once the doors were closed, her manager sat down.

“That boy didn’t want to leave your side once you passed out. I told him that he can go and I would let him know everything. He swore on staying.” Her manager laughed.

“Was he the one who carried me?” Youngji looked out the door.

“Yes, you should thank him as well. It was nice of him to stay here.” Her manager complimented Jackson.

Youngji felt silent. She never took her eyes off of the door. When she was feeling dizzy, Jackson took great care of her. She just didn’t know what it all meant.

“I was able to rearrange the next CF filming for KTO the following week. You can relax for an extra day. You still have the other schedules.”

Youngji looked at her manager and nodded. Her manager told her what the doctor said.

“It turned out that reporter was not from any news outl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter