The beginning

This big world

That week, Hanna hurried to keep the deadline. Her teachers had agreed on the early presentation of her works just because she was an excellent student. But they were very disapointed to hear that she'll pospone her studies to travel. Of course, she didn't tell the hole true. She said enough to inform them. From Monday on, she practicaly lived cloistered in her apartment. She only got out to meet Taekwoon every day at 9 a.m. They didn't spoke much after the first meeting, they just drank their coffee and hold hands for a brief time, and then he'll disappear in the corner again, and again. He hadn't ask either if she was doing well on school or if she thought she could make it to the deadline, he didn't even know what she did for a living. 

"You have to go out!"- Hongbin was the only one she let in her apartment. He had brought food every day and fed her, cleaned her house and done the chores while she kept on working on her pieces- "It's been 5 days already"

"I need to finish this. It's only two days for the departure date"- she gave another brushstroke and step back a little to see the result of her nonstoping work. It was perfect, just as she had imagine it.

"It's like a dream"- Hongbin appreciated her art like no one else. He was also studing art, but he felt Hanna had something special in her hand that made people draw closer just to see her work. He was holding two plates of homemade tomato pasta. The sweet smell of the tomatos merged well with the oily smell of the painting.

"It is"- she answeared. The pastel colors revolved in the canvas. The right amount of twist and combination of them made it look like a galaxy beyond imagination- "But it can turn into a nightmare at any moment"- she said under her breath.

"How about the piece for sketch? Have you finished it?"- he asked puting dinner in the table.

"Yeah... that was the first. I had already hand it over"- she remember the day before the first meeting at the caffe. As soon as she reached home, she could only draw him. His features and the way he took the coffe cup in his hands was imprinted in her head. She draw him as she had seen him that day, and hadn't been able to stop. Every day, a Taekwoon sketch layed besides her bed- "This is going to take a while to dry so can you please hand it to Cherry-seonsaengnim on Monday?"- he noded.

"So it's just photography and you are done... Tomorrow we can go to the countryside and take the pictures in my grandmom's farm"- she looked at him from the living room. He was setting some things on the kitchen. A sudden rush of sadness invaded her. She knew, six months would be long enough to miss her best friend like crazy, her only support in this world. And she knew too, that once she returns, he'll be long married to Jiae. The wedding was settled for spring. His parents were really excited with the news as they had been long dating each other and needed to give the step. 

"... Do you think he'll come for his sister's wedding?"- she asked out of the blue. Hongbin stoped his steps.

"I... don't know"- his voice shaked a little. He had though about it too. Just the consideration of Hanna not being there was horrible.

"I'm sorry Binnie"- she said backhugging him. They stood like that for a little- "You are... more like a brother to me. I'm sorry for being so selfish"

"You are not. I want you alive, even if your not besides me... It's just"- he's breath wasn't steady anymore, he began sobbing- "Why him?... Why did this happened? You deserve better..."

"...I... can't do this..."- she broke too. Seing her best friend so worried and heavy-hearted just for her situation made her realise her real situaton. It was pitiful and she needed to cry it out before she had to leave. She was never the delicate femenine girl, she had to become strong and determined from the beggining. Her life had not been a bed of roses and she had to face it through with a strong sense of awarness. But right there she needed someone to depend on, and as always, Hongbin was there. He turned and hugged her, both crying their eyes out. She felt the strenght of her limbs gone and like that she depended only on Hongbin's body. That night she left out every whine and complain she had about the situation. The injustice circumstances and how she felt everything that could go wrong in her life happend just like that. And Hongbin stood there, all night, whiping her tears.

The morning came and her cellphone's alarm rang. She had an enormous headache and her eyes were as swollen as possible. Once again, Hongbin laid besides her, he seemed peaceful. She took her celphone and panicked. It was almost 8:30 in the morning. She got up quickly and had a shower, dressed up and left Hongbin sleeping. She didn't have time to make her face look any better, she had to be in the caffe at 9 sharp. She almost ran into someone at the caffe door, but was stoped by Taekwoon's grip.

"Be careful"- he said. He had never been so near her. She could feel his chest against her back, his breath softly moving the hair on her head. The warm spreading through her body.

"Sorry"- she vowed to the person in front of her.

"Are you ok? Did I hit you?"- he asked worried trying to inspect her visually.

"I'm fine"- she smiled- "It's just that I'm a little clumpsy. I'm really sorry"- the guy just smiled and kept on going. She turned to look at Taekwoon, and for the first time she could manage to see a different expression on his face. She didn't understand what he was thinking or feeling but his face showed something like surprise.

"Your eyes are swollen"- he said opening the door and getting rid of the expression.

"I haven't been able to sleep much"- it was true, but she hid the real reason.

"I see"- they approched the bar and asked for the usual- "did you read the contract?"- she nodded. It was more like a confidenciality contract, but also stated the obligations she had. Keep Taekwoon company for 10 minutes a day, skinship for 6 to 7 minutes. Not messing up with his schedules and keep the distance between MinHee and her. She had no objection on the matter.

"Yes"- she took the cup from the bartender's hands and thanked him. She sat in their regular chair- "I have sign it, but I forgot it at home. I'll bring it tomorrow"

"Do you speak english?"- he asked suddenly looking through the window- "I've consider to put someone to help you through the tour..."

"I speak english, chinese and japanese. I can handle it."- her aunt was a business woman and had traveled around the world too. So when she was a girl her aunt was really interested in her learning languages, and so she ended up learning several- "I hope I can go out whenever I'm not in our 10 minutes"- he opened his eyes a little at her statment. She understood she needed to explain further- "I'm an art student. While traveling I want to expand my knowledge. I need to keep on working on my skills too"

"Ok"- he bluntly stated. It was the first personal thing they shared. The silence took control once again. The people coming and going in the streets made her imagine what it would be like in other cities, with other people. She hadn't left Korea in her hole life, even being half korean, she hand't visit her mother's hometown. Her father was a korean, her mother on the other side was from Tailand. She had always dreamed about it, maybe she could feel her mother in there.

"Do you love what you do?"- she dared to ask while being submerged in her thoughts.

"Yes"- those days he wasn't as defensive as before. He turned his face to meet her eyes, but her gaze was settled in a far horizon, much farther than the sidewalk across the street. He had learned to be more comfortable at her side. She was calm, almost misterious when they met. And had never reacted in a way he had felt ofended. On the contrary, he began to be thankful on how she behaved even though he knew on what kind of situation they were- "do you?"

"It's beyond love... I think I would die if I can't draw everyday. I was worried that once I found my soulmate I had to stop. Marry, have kids and work on a comfortable 9 to 5 schedule... that kind of live isn't for me"- she was still looking through the window. He took her hand, the one holding the cup and made it release it. She was shocked but let him hold it, she blushed slightly- "I guess you can't either..."- he looked into her eyes and noticed her honey colored iris. Most of the time she was expresionless too, but that day he had seen, not once but twice, her relaxed and sincere smile. He felt a warm thing spreading deep inside him when he saw it. His alarm rang at that moment, when holding her hand and looking in her eyes he felt the need of knowing more about her. He shook her hand and got up- "Tomorrow in the airport. At 5 p.m. Don't be late"

"No coffee tomorrow, eh?- she said without turning to him- "See you tomorrow then"