Number 16

Actual Boyfriends

In which I try to write angst and fail horribly OTL

how do people write angst so well i dont understand this is difficult

for crescentmoon!!


Taehyung is fleeting, Jungkook realises.

 

He could never stick to one thing for long, always finding something better, something new to try out. Sometimes, he’d go back to something old for a while, but he’d get bored soon enough.

 

Jungkook had watched his best friend go through countless phases, enjoying countless things. Once, Taehyung spent ₩100,000 on a limited edition figurine for an anime he got into, only for him to leave it in the box at the back of a drawer. He never took it out again.

 

It wasn’t just things he got into - it was people too. Jungkook remembers the first one, a sweet boy named Park Jimin who had a cute eye smile and a personality as bright as Taehyung’s. Taehyung fell hard and fast, spending less time with Jungkook and more time in arcades with Jimin.

 

Then Taehyung met Kim Seokjin.

 

Kim Seokjin was kind and easy to love. Taehyung fell hard and fast that time too, and it was Jimin’s turn to be left in the dust.

 

Jungkook would watch on the sidelines with Jimin as Taehyung moved from person to person, leaving a trail of heartbreak behind him without even realising it. It was no secret between the two how in love with Taehyung they were - both of them. Jimin figured it out quickly.

 

It was difficult, loving Kim Taehyung, Jungkook realises, difficult loving someone who spends more time loving others than loving himself.

 

Taehyung moved on to Jungkook near the end of his senior year. They were hanging out on the large grassy area behind the school to avoid PE class when Taehyung kissed him. Jungkook was in love, so so in love with Taehyung that he could do nothing but kiss back, letting the sweet taste of the older boy overwhelm his senses.

 

He couldn’t remember anything about Taehyung’s short lived affections, couldn’t remember the fact that Taehyung hadn’t dated anyone for longer than a few months - he just couldn’t remember. How could he remember anything when Taehyung’s long fingers were running through his hair?

 

“He’ll break you too, you know,” Min Yoongi told him one night. “He’ll love you, break you, then ask to stay friends.”

 

Jungkook couldn’t help but worry, believe that he was just another fling that would be forgotten at any time. He voiced his worries to Taehyung and received sweet nothings and reassurances in hushed tones in return.

 

Kim Taehyung is a filthy liar, Jungkook realises.

 

The breakup happened a month and a half later - forty six days - one thousand, one hundred and four hours. Jungkook should have seen it coming. He shouldn’t have believed Taehyung’s words.

 

Jimin cries too when Jungkook turns up at his door, eyes emotionless. He tugs the teen into his house and holds him close as the tears begin to fall.

 

“He- he said he didn’t want..” Jungkook could barely speak through the choked sobs. “Didn’t want to ruin our friendship. What- W-What’s that even supposed to.. How can we fix anything now? What do I do?”

 

Taehyung still calls him, still tries to arrange times they can hang out and Jungkook is weak. He can’t resist Kim Taehyung, can’t say no, despite the fact that all he wants to do is curl up and die, if that’s what it takes to not see Taehyung again.

 

It’s not healthy, Jimin told him when Jungkook arrived in front of his house again with his eyes swimming and fists clenched. You can’t let him string you along like this.

 

But Jungkook loves Taehyung too much to let him go. Taehyung moved on again - a boy with a wide grin and the name Jung Hoseok. Taehyung moved on, and Jungkook is still in the same place. He’s at a standstill yet he still tries to reach for the one that’s getting further and further away.

There’s a lot more things Jungkook realises as time goes on. Kim Taehyung is at the centre of all of them.


this hasnt even been read over, never mind edited. it's 666 words though so that's interesting.