The City Shining Bright

Bumblebee

[ → Bumblebee ← ]

  "The City Shining Bright"

06


 

The City Shining Bright.

Vale was often called this.

Other than it's well known Beacon Academy, the city was home to many great things in the world of Remnant. Specifically centered in the middle of the world, it was where many things began.

The first kingdom was created here. Trade touched the kingdom's borders from all over the world. Population was grand and so was culture. But in the midst of all it's wonderful things, it was also home to the fighters people named Hunters and Huntresses.

And specifically, it was home to Taeyeon and Tiffany.

 

Vale was split up into 6 sections : Industrial district, Agricultural district, Residental district (in which Taeyeon worked and lived at), Commerical district, the Upper-Class, and Beacon whose school took up a large section as well. Surrounding the city was an unhabitated area home to the monsters Tiffany had spoken about. The vast unexplored land was called, Forever Fall, it's name in honor for the Hunters and Huntresses who fell fighting to seek out the truth in those wild lands.

Beacon sat ontop of a large mountain -- a cliff if you argued about it -- and at the edge of the school was the Emerald Forest. Unlike other areas of Forever Fall, this one was kept under close supervision. Scientists and Hunters worked together to try to study the monsters they desperately fought and the Emerald Forest became a sort of training ground for the future protectors of the world.

Tiffany informed Taeyeon that despite it's constant supervision, the Emerald Forest was still part of Forever Fall and it's rules of the shadowing death still applied. Though Tiffany mentioned this to scare Taeyeon to prevent her from ever venturing off, all it did was encourage Taeyeon.

A few months passed and it was almost Taeyeon's birthday.

Tiffany and Taeyeon were comfortable with each other now, but still unsure of their feelings. When Valentine's day came around, Taeyeon visited Tiffany at school out of curiosity. In only occured to her then how incredibly popular Tiffany seemed to be. When she arrived at her room, Tiffany was hauling large bouquets she received from various admirers. Taeyeon couldn't blame her though. If she was a student at Beacon, she surely would have gotten Tiffany a bouquet too.

Jessica walked in with Rosie in her hand and gasped at flowers that now occupied their dormitory. It wasn't a gasp of surprise though, it was a sigh to pronounce her frustration.

"Ugh, not again." She whined.

Taeyeon walked around the room smelling each and different flower she received. "What's with the attitude? Flowers are nice."

"Yes, they are. But not when they're cut off for human entertainment to gift to someone. Flowers grow to live, certainly not for humans to pick them up and give to people so they can rot the rest of their lives abandoned in a vase." Jessica showed a deep sense of passion for flowers and began to pick the petals off some. "These flowers won't survive long. Last year I was only able to keep them around for a month before I had to throw them away." She growled at minor things that frustrated her even more. Rosie let go and ran for the common roses that were colored in her favorite shade of red.

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany who plopped down on her bed tiredly. She approached her with care and uneasiness. Although she hadn't planned to confess today, the thoughts clicked in her mind occasionally. The flowers were another sign that Taeyeon couldn't easily obtain Tiffany like she wanted to. In her pocket was a box of chocolate she did plan to give but..

Ice punched through the door before swinging a large bag behind her back. She was wheezing and panting hard. Taking a while to ease her breath, she pointed at the bag and complained. "Tiffany...had....so...many..chocolates..." Ice said breathing in between words. "So..many.."

In the bag was the collected chocolate given to Tiffany as well. Taeyeon reached in her pocket, sure that the chocolate she had was melted by her body heat, and never brought up the topic to Tiffany.

At the end of the day, before Taeyeon left Beacon, Tiffany called her over. She followed absentmindly and when Tiffany hunched over to grab something from Ice's bed, she could only gasp in surprise when Tiffany pulled out a box apparently hidden under Ice's pillow.

"Oh, . That's why my pillow felt hard." Ice laughed out loud.

Tiffany handed Taeyeon the box with the smile she loved the most. Taeyeon at first, couldn't believe Tiffany had gotten her something. It was a pink box wrapped around a white ribbon. Judging from it's weight and size, Taeyeon thought it was chocolate.

"You can open it." encouraged Tiffany. Sitting down at the edge of her bed, Taeyeon opened the box carefully, afraid it's contents might fall if she hastily opened it like her body wanted to. Gently surprised, inside was a coffee mug. It was simple in color. White and fadly colored pink at base with small smiling bumblebees flying around. The handle was shaped like a heart and on the front was written : #1 Barista in the world

Taeyeon laughed and held the cup tightly between her hands. She looked at Tiffany in the eyes, with the stare that always reflected what she was feeling -- happiness and a little bit of love. Despite the exploding thump her heart pounded throughout her body, Taeyeon could only say a gracious and simple, "Thank you." to the girl she loved.

But for Tiffany, that was enough. She knew Taeyeon long enough to know whether or not she liked or disliked things and both of them knew Taeyeon loved it. Gripping the cup tightly, Taeyeon had the urge to give her the box of melted chocolates she had in her pocket and a flower she picked from the school's garden illegally. But she couldn't bring herself to do it.

Instead, she left with a big smile and promised Tiffany she would give her something in return. Taeyeon had countless nights where she would turn on the lamp and stare at the cup she was given. It was a very simple thing and Taeyeon rarely used it because she was afraid in carelessness she might break it. It was the first gift Tiffany had ever given her and it was one she would treasure forever.

At nights when she couldn't sleep, Taeyeon clawed at her brain desperately thinking of what to give Tiffany. Beacon students were given a monthly allowance and Tiffany never really seemed like she had spent it on anything other than her weapon's maintenance. She never hinted about anything she might have wanted, and even if Taeyeon doubted she could afford anything to give, she still wanted to know what Tiffany wished she could get.

She tried to ask the rest of her team, but they all confirmed Tiffany wasn't a materialistic type of person. That certain side of Tiffany made it a little more difficult for Taeyeon to think of a present. She thought about giving a cup similar to her's back, except with different writing, but she felt it would be too unoriginal and scratched the idea.

It was when Taeyeon visited Tiffany at the combat facility did she get an idea.

Tiffany wasn't particularly doing anything. She had been injured slightly in the last mission and had to stay in bed for a while. Focusing intensely, Taeyeon watched Tiffany punch the punching bag with the agility and strength Taeyeon lacked when Tiffany turned and delightedly her.

"Working hard?" commented Taeyeon as she politely handed Tiffany a towel.

"Yeah. Before I can get back to weapon training, I have to build up the physical attributes I lost while resting." Tiffany said seriously.

"I see." Taeyeon dryly replied. She didn't know what else to say or what she could do to help. Whenever Tiffany showed off her fighting skills, Taeyeon was always in the back simply watching in amazement. Compared to Tiffany..Rosie..Ice..Jessica..and everyone else at the school, Taeyeon was trash.

When suddenly, Tiffany tugged on Taeyeon's sleeve. Wiping the sweat off her head, she pulled on her sleeve making Taeyeon face her. She jolted when Tiffany pointed a dagger at Taeyeon's torso, fear automatically spreading throughout her body.

Tiffany laughed at Taeyeon's expression before skillfully flipping the dagger so that the handle was facing Taeyeon.

"What's this?" Taeyeon asked, scared to touch the dangerous weapon.

"I want you to train with me."

Taeyeon blushed in disbelief. "M-Me?" Tiffany chuckled and waved her eyes around the empty room. "Well, you're the only one here with me aren't you?" Using her other hand, Tiffany opened Taeyeon's palm and dropped the silver dagger onto her grip.

Taeyeon protested. She had been wanting to learn how to fight, but she was scared to start. She believed once Tiffany saw how truly weak she was, she would look at her differently. Tiffany stepped back and crossed her arms.

"T-Tiffany!" whined Taeyeon desperately. "I-I can't do this."

"It's alright. It's going to be alright. This is just practice." reassured Tiffany. "Now I want you to hold the dagger. Anyway you like it comfortably."

Taeyeon opened to complain but Tiffany hushed her up and commanded her to train. She decided this would be it.

Awkwardly gripping the handle of the dagger, she curled her fingers in and lowered her position.

"Attack me."

"W-What?"

"Attack me." demanded Tiffany. "Just do it, I'll be fine."

"I can't do that.."

"Just do it!" Tiffany's voice raised in volume. Shaking and trembling, Taeyeon launched herself forward to directly stab Tiffany. She thought she had her that she nearly pulled her dagger back when Tiffany stepped to the side and shoved her on the ground.

"I said attack me, not tickle me!" Taeyeon gasped at the new side Tiffany had shown. She had always seen Tiffany as a quiet and enduring student, but this proved that Taeyeon had a lot more to learn about Tiffany. Her shouting voice wasn't as harsh as it needed to sound, but it was good enough to encourage Taeyeon to get off the ground and try again.

But like before, she was shoved harshly onto the ground.

Tiffany towered over her, her hands on her hips. "You're holding the dagger in a way it's obvious to see your attack patterns. Your stance causes you to be off balance." She extended a hand out to help Taeyeon get up. "You need to be lower to the ground, your feet a little more spread out like this.."

And that was the start of Taeyeon's training.

 

A new routine opened up for the two. Other than Tiffany coming in and ordering the drink Taeyeon could now make in her sleep, Taeyeon would visit Beacon after school hours to train with Tiffany in secret. She suspected the teachers knew she was there just to visit, but seeing how she wasn't any sort of threat, allowed her to stay.

During one of their practice battles, Taeyeon complained about her dagger.

"It's too light.." mumbled Taeyeon who could now confidently twirl the dangerous item in her hands. When Taeyeon first held the weapon, it was a pain to carry around. But training and working out, Taeyeon proved to be more physically fit. "And my reach isn't as long as I want it to be."

Tiffany threw a towel at Taeyeon who caught it in ease. "Well, daggers aren't the only weapons you can wield. I only gave that to you first because it was short and cute like you." Taeyeon laughed but accepted the compliment. "There's a range of weapons you can try out. You can even go two handed, dual-wielding, guns, or go full out magic. Oh, but we don't know your semblance yet.."

Taeyeon clicked her tongue. "Right..my semblance." Hanging out with Tiffany, Taeyeon knew more about fighting than she had ever known. Once Taeyeon improved in combat, Tiffany decided to make things difficult by using her semblance. Her semblance was simple but proved to be a difficult thing for an enemy to deal with.

Tiffany's semblance was shadow clones. Though it only lasted for a quick second often used both ways offensively and defensively, it created a diversion Tiffany needed to plan her next attack. She could make shadow clones to step on and gain more altitude, to change her position, or simply divert. Tiffany used it effectively that when she first tried it out in a battle against Taeyeon, Taeyeon felt as if they were beginning their training all over again.

"How do I unlock my semblance?" asked Taeyeon eagerly.

"Hmm..we've been focusing on physical fighting so much I completely forgot about the magical part of the world. I know someone who can unlock your semblance for you. I could do it myself, but I'm not all that confident." Tiffany grinned. "You've been practicing how to use your aura right? Using your semblance might be a bit tacky at first but you should get the hang of it."

Taeyeon jumped up and down celebrating the fact she would know her semblance.

"Oh, but team JNPR is out of a mission this week..we'll have to wait until they come back. Phyrra from team JNPR can unlock it for you."

"Awesome." Taeyeon coolly commented. "But before that, can we check out some new weapons?"

Tiffany smiled at Taeyeon's enthusiam and simply replied, "Sure."


On a Saturday morning, Taeyeon and Tiffany headed into a weapon and armor shop in the industrial district of Vale. Although Beacon had it's own store and warehouse housing many kinds of weapons, they were all attributed with magic and were designed for highly skilled people. She didn't mean to offend Taeyeon, but she wasn't sure if Taeyeon could handle those kinds of weapons yet.

Just down the street of Bumblebee laid an armory serving regular Hunters and faintly the military. The bell dinged when they entered the empty store and a man hopped from the register yelling loudly. "Welcome! What can I do for you two?"

Tiffany marched closer, lifting her sword from her back and placing it on the table. "I need some gun cartridges for my weapon."

"Sure thing." He confirmed before looking at Taeyeon. Tiffany answered for her and said she was going to look around.

"Alright, but break anything and you'll pay for it." He said before going into the back.

Taeyeon walked around the store in complete amazement of all the weapons that were shown. The only weapons Taeyeon had seen in action were : Tiffany's weapon, a black sword that could also be manipulated into a gun, sheathed in a scabbard that was as deadly as the sword ; Rosie's high-caliber sniper scythe which was, in simpler terms, a scythe that was also a gun ; Jessica's elegant rapier with a revolver that held magical dust she used to strengthed her attacks ; and Ice's gauntlets that were also shotguns.

"You're looking for more reach right?" Tiffany said picking off a trident off the wall. "How about this?" She twirled it around transforming it from a trident into a mini cannon. "It's also a gun."

Taeyeon shook her head. "I know you have your gunblade, and Rosie has her sniper rifle..thing..and Ice with her gauntlets but.." She sighed. "I don't think I can shoot a gun. Or rather -- I don't think guns are for me."

"Why not? You didn't know how to wield a dagger but now you're pretty good at it. I think you can be a good shooter with enough practice." Taeyeon shook her head harder this time. "I can't..guns just..guns connect me to a memory I don't want to remember." With the expression Taeyeon sadly gave, Tiffany knew not to pry any further. She walked around again before grabbing a one-handed sword.

"How about this?" She said testing it's weight. "It's as heavy as I think you'd want it to be, it's slightly long but nothing too long you can't use one hand. Depending on your semblance, you might want to switch into a two-handed sword later on but for now.." She swung it around. "I think it's nice."

Taeyeon took the sword into her own hands and tested it out for herself. It was true. The weight was heavy like she preferred and the reach wasn't too long. She figured learning the basics of one-handed sword fighting could possibly lead into more variety later on. She held the sword upright and looked at her reflection. It was a silver sword with a golden handle. It's grip was cold, but it was undoubtedly the perfect weapon for Taeyeon to begin with.

"I like it." They both smiled. "I think, I'll get this."

She looked at the pricetag only to frown. It wasn't too expensive that Taeyeon couldn't afford it, but it would make a significant dent on her savings. Tiffany must have noticed the look on her face that she took the sword into her own hands and placed it on the register.

"Tiffany what are you..?"

"Old man, I want to buy this."

"What? Tiffany, no! I can afford this myse-" Tiffany turned her head and grinned. "Let me do this."

"Tiffany, I can pay for it I swear." fumbled Taeyeon. But before she could take action, Tiffany had already paid for it.

Taeyeon pouted all the way back to the school. She was happy and thankful of course, but now she felt more indebted to Tiffany than ever.

"It's a gift Taeyeon." Tiffany repeated for the hundredth time. "A gift."

"I-I know it's just.." She stopped walking and gripped her brand new sword. "Can we talk?"

"Of course." Tiffany pulled Taeyeon along into a garden and sat each other down on a bench. Taeyeon couldn't look at Tiffany, she was far too embarrassed for multiple reasons.

Taeyeon started off, a little unsure and somewhat saddening. "I hope you don't look at this the wrong way.." Taeyeon hugged her sword. "I like how you give me gifts. I really do. But I feel like..now whatever I'll give you will.." She sighed and closed her eyes. "Anything I'd give you would be trash in comparison."

"That's not true." Tiffany automatically said. "I'm sure I'll love anything you give me."

"You're just saying that.." rejected Taeyeon. "I..I want to give you something that can compare to the gifts you've given to me. But I'm not that rich and I can't afford much.." She confessed. "All I can do is make you drinks."

"Then keep making me drinks." Tiffany said trying to reassure the troubled Taeyeon. "Taeyeon, I don't care for gifts. I'm buying stuff for you not because I want something in return, but because I believe it would help you more than it would help me. I told you before, I'm not rich either. Yeah I get allowance but I never use it. I'd rather use it on you than let it sit in my bank going to god knows where." In the heat of the moment, Tiffany cupped Taeyeon's cheek affectionately, leaning in just a bit closer. Tiffany opened to say something, but stopped and remained silent.

"It's almost your birthday.." mumbled Taeyeon, biting her lips trying to refrain the tears.

"Mmhm." Tiffany pulled her hand back and rested her head on Taeyeon's shoulders. "You don't have to get me anything. Just be there with me that day, and I'll be happy."

Taeyeon didn't say anything.


Team JNPR was scheduled to come back the day after Tiffany's birthday. They were in the mission longer than expected that Taeyeon wasn't able to unlock her semblance before Tiffany's birthday like she wanted to. But it didn't stop her from getting Tiffany a present.

Tiffany had school during her birthday and all morning Taeyeon glared at the clock at work. Her boss must have noticed how awkwardly excited Taeyeon was, hopping around and walking endlessly around the kitchen that she asked what was up.

"Got ants in your pants or something?" Yang asked fixing herself a drink.

"No it's just.." She sighed unable to speak any further.

"What's up? You can talk to me about anything. I may be your boss but I could be your buddy too!"

"Okay it's just.." She groaned again. "It's an important friend's birthday today but I don't have any gifts prepared. I can't really think of anything she wants material wise and I don't have anything big to give her and I feel bad because she's given me a bunch of gifts before." Taeyeon said without breath. "She told me all she wanted was for me to be with her on her birthday but that's like every other day and I feel it wouldn't be any special just because it's her birthday."

Yang scratched her head waiting for the blender to stop. "I know this sounds really cliche but, it's the thought that counts. You can buy her the most expensive jewelry in the world, but if you didn't buy it for the thought of making her happy, than it's just another piece of jewelry in the world. How expensive of a gift you might give her doesn't measure out how much you appreciate your friend. Honestly, I'd rather be cooked a homecooked meal than go out to eat at a restaurant my friends take me on my birthday."

"Yeah but..what can I do that shows my thoughts about her?"

"Go out of your way." Yang shrugged. "They say you aren't really helping people if you aren't being troubled yourself. Do something she would never expect you to do. Do something that shows how much trouble you went through just for that person."

Taeyeon's jaw slightly opened in a sudden spark of an idea. "Y-Yang!" She almost yelled due to her excitement. "You've been to the Emerald Forest right? I overheard there were a lot of beautiful flowers there, is this true?"

Yang emitted a low hum of disapproval as she sipped on her drink. "Well. Yes. They're wild flowers, none you can compare to the ones we grow inside the Kingdom's walls. Really pretty but -- the Emerald Forest is a dangerous place. I know what you're thinking, and I think your friend would rather spend another day with you than having to worry and make you risk your life for flowers."

"I can do it." Taeyeon said with a bright smile. "I can do it, and I will."

"Well.." Yang rolled her eyes thinking. "Okay."


Tiffany waited by the school's docks for Taeyeon to come. However, extremely disappointing to Tiffany, Taeyeon didn't arrive. She stayed an hour waiting and watching the water fall in hopes she was just late, but after a while and the constant urges from her friends, she angerily left the docks.

She had fun throughout the party, but without Taeyeon she felt a bit off. She hadn't received any messages or calls from the girl and all she did was worry.

Jessica noticed how dark her expression was and ordered everyone to present their gifts to the birthday girl.

Clothes, food, books, weapon enhancements, jewelry -- Tiffany received them all with a smile on her face. She was happy to receive of course..but Taeyeon kept clawing at the back of her mind.

Music erupted the large room Jessica reserved for her party and the party started. Tiffany was offered to dance and in attempt to stop worrying about Taeyeon, she danced with every male in the party.

By the end of the disappointing party, she was definitely worn out. She had a couple drinks here and there, but for the remainder of the party, quietly sat in the corner taking a few sips now and then. The next day was Saturday and she knew the party would drag on until then.

She stayed awake all throughout the night and by the time only her teammates were left in the party, she was exhausted.

"Well, that was a thing." Ice happily laughed as they hobbled back into their dorms. Jessica was the first to sleep. Too exhausted to fight back, she allowed Rosie to crawl in under the blanket with her as Rosie affectionately wrapped her arm around Jessica and slept beside her. Ice snored loudly as she drifted quickly asleep. Tiffany was tired, but she wasn't sleepy. Just as she closed her eyes, she received a message on her phone.

It was from Taeyeon asking her to meet up in front of the school's entrance. Within a minute, Tiffany was out and running to the entrance. She hadn't bothered to fix her messy hair or dirtied gown from the party, but when she saw Taeyeon, she was even more surprised.

Taeyeon was waiting for her with the brightest smile Tiffany had ever seen. But that only hid her worn out self hidden beneath the smile. Her clothes were caked with dirt and some parts ripped open. Dirt and dried blood were present on Taeyeon's face and hands. On her side, her now dulled out sword was hanging loosely. But in her hands..

She held out a large bouquet of wild flowers, and Tiffany finally understood.

Taeyeon had ventured off into the Emerald Forest alone hand picking all sorts of beautiful jaw-dropping wild flowers. Judging on her appearance, it wasn't an easy journey. The blossoms were a little wilted and Taeyeon clearly had no skill in flower arrangement. But the bouquet was as big as Taeyeon's love for Tiffany. Maybe even bigger.

The fortunes her friends had spent on the gifts she had received earlier now seemed like a waste. Because no matter what, to Tiffany..

This was the best birthday gift ever.


 

 

//BREATHES HEAVILY. IT'S 3 IN THE MORNING AND I HAVE SCHOOL IN FOUR HOURS BUT YOLO WHO NEEDS SLEEP.

This has been one of the longest chapters i've written lmao and one of my favorites :)

Taeyeon finally starts training! Whoo!! Also the chapter's image is the World map Taeyeon and Tiffany live in. (CREDIT TO RWBY WIKIA)

The next chapter, Taeyeon's official weapon and semblance will be revealed..muhahahah! Also shout out to mushroomHwang for adopting an Indonesian verison of Bumbleebee! http://pakunhwangjamuran.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/foreword-bumblebee/

So definitely check that out. If you would like to translate my stories into a different language, just ask!

Taeyeon's gift though..d'aww.

Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter. Took a lot of time to write and did I mention the homework I SACRIFICED TO UPDATE

I love your comments and I'm sorry I don't reply to all of them. I truly and deeply appreciate each and every comment. The longer the comment the better. Don't forget to upvote !

Would anyone like to guess what Taeyeon's semblance will be? It's been revealed Tiffany's is shadow clones. Also bonus points if you guess what Taeyeon's weapon will be.

I apologize if I have any spelling errors here, I literally just wrote this without looking back lmao

Thank you for reading! :D