An open book

Bumblebee

[ → Bumblebee ← ]

  "An open book"

02


 

An open book hidden in a treasure box enclosed by dirt and a field.

That's what Tiffany was.

 

Taeyeon did not regret taking the chance that day when she freely gave Tiffany her number. After work, she kept her phone in her hands at all times, repeatedly looking at the screen despite there being no vibrations to indicate a call. Later on that night, to Taeyeon's pleasant surprise, Tiffany didn't call, she texted. But nothing too grand like Taeyeon suspected.

It was a simple message telling Taeyeon it was her number. Taeyeon's fingers fumbled as her mind pumped with fireworks. She was excited to develop and take a new step in their customer-worker relationship, but she didn't want to sound too excited. It was late at night when Tiffany texted and when Taeyeon finally calmed down, she texted a sweet reply wishing their friendship a good luck.

 

The next morning, Taeyeon could hardly wait for Tiffany's regular appearance. Normally sitting down, she restlessly walked around in the kitchen, fixing things that were already fixed, or cleaning things that were already clean. Then in the middle of mopping the floor, the bell rang indicating a customer came in.

Taeyeon immediately jerked her head up, only to be disappointed that a different person came in. She sighed to herself and proceeded to do her job. But right as the person turned to leave, right behind the customer, was Tiffany herself.

"Hi Taeyeon." For once in the year Taeyeon's worked at Bumblebee, Tiffany greeted Taeyeon by her name. Tiffany didn't bother to wait for Taeyeon's response as she placed the exact change as usual in front of Taeyeon before quietly shrugging and saying, "The usual."

"R-Right. Got it." Taeyeon didn't even have time to calm the fireworks in her heart as she quickly hopped into the kitchen to make the orders. Stumbling a few times, she had to remake the first order she received because she was so focused on Tiffany.

Then after making Tiffany's drink, Taeyeon messed up big time.

Going too far to give Tiffany her drink, Taeyeon lost control of her balance and ultimately leaned forward, drink in hand, and spilling it all over Tiffany's overly perfect uniform.

"Ah sh-" Taeyeon bit her lip in order to refrain losing her cool and cursing in front of Tiffany. She acted quickly and retracted the drink, apologizing a million times as she fumbled around the kitchen in search of towels and tissues.

"I'm so..so..so..sorry!" Taeyeon said unable to look at Tiffany in the eye. She wiped Tiffany's uniform without consent, just guilt and embarrassment taking over in her mind.

"Ah no it's..fine...I'm alright." She said deliberately taking a towel of her own and trying to wipe off whatever she could. Still a bit surprised from Taeyeon's clumsy actions, she hadn't noticed the burn that took up on her hand from the hot drink.

"Ah..your hand.." Taeyeon said pointing it out. Tiffany looked at it and noticed a deep pink in her pale white skin. "G-Give me a moment! Please!" She skipped away and into the back of the cafe as Tiffany continued to wipe excess liquid from her uniform. It didn't really bother Tiffany that her uniform was now stained. Beacon Academy provided students with their own rooms and, amazingly enough, their own student laundrymaids. She would simply have to strip and put her uniform in the pamper and take a new one out from her drawers. She glanced at the clock above and nodded, confirming she had enough time to head back and change.

A few moments later, Taeyeon came out with a pink towel -- her own personal towel and the softest one she's ever owned -- because she believed only the best would fit Tiffany's ultimate perfection.

She got on one knee and clasped her hands together, wrapping them on the burn and softly, soothing the pain.

Tiffany bowed her head in slight embarrassment before backing away slowly. "I'm fine. This will heal."

Taeyeon nodded and stood up. "I'm so sorry I- I was unfocused and well.." In haste, she leaned back and grabbed the change Tiffany had given to her earlier. "Take it back. I'm so sorry. I'll make you another drink, just g-give me a minute.."

"Taeyeon." With Tiffany's voice, Taeyeon immediately paused and tensed up. "Y-Yes?"

"It's alright. Maybe tomorrow, but I have to go back and change so I won't be late to my classes."

"I-I see. I'm sorry again.."

Tiffany repeated again. "It's alright. Really."

 

For the rest of that day, Taeyeon bathed in deep embarrassment and guilt. She texted Tiffany, apologizing once more, but she didn't get a reply.

The next morning however, Tiffany came back with a small smile. Before anything, she leaned on the counter and softly grinned with the side of . "I saw your text but I forgot to reply." She explained. Taeyeon nodded then looked away. She opened to say the words she's been repeating since the incident, but Tiffany stopped her knowing the words. "Don't say sorry. Accidents happen. It's quite alright."

So instead, Taeyeon said the opposite. "T-Thanks." She blushed. "So..the usual..?"

Tiffany nodded. "The usual."

 

Since then, more and more words were exchanged between the two. Tiffany lingered around the cafe and whenever there weren't any customers, Taeyeon would come by Tiffany's table in the far corner by the window and have a small chat. Tiffany came earlier too. Still bringing her books with her, she would do assignments and other school related things at the cafe before school started. Taeyeon would watch Tiffany study or read, her face usually buried in a book, before deciding to bother the student for small chit-chat once again.

"I never really asked you directly but.." Taeyeon said taking a sip of her own drink. "You go to that school, Beacon right?"

Tiffany sipped on her drink too before giving a small nod. "Beacon Academy. That's right."

Sip. "But isn't that a combat school?"

Another nod and sip.

"The best there is on this continent."

Sip.

Sip.

Sip.

A shy sigh.

"You don't look like a fighter."

Tiffany looked up from her book, her bow twitching a little. "What do fighters look like?"

"Ah well--" Taeyeon glanced around the room quickly before settling back. "That's..a good question." Taeyeon tried to smile but could only give a nervous laugh. She and Tiffany had only talked a couple times before and they were still in the stage where they were careful with their words.

She decided to change the conversation and leaned in a little closer. "What are you guys studying? I've never been in a combat school, what do you guys learn?"

"How to not die really.." mumbled Tiffany. "A combat school is what it is..a school where you learn how to fight. People fight for all kinds of reasons, I fight to survive."

"I-I see.." Taeyeon said allowing Tiffany's deep words go through her. "If it's okay, can I study with you?"

Tiffany took the last sip of her drink, finishing it off completely before placing it down and tilting her head to the side. "I think you should go fix your customers some drinks first." Her eyes pointing at the front. Taeyeon jumped up and immediately went back to the front, completely forgetting about her job.

 

Taeyeon wasn't particularly interested in Tiffany's textbooks, but ever since she had touched Tiffany's angelic hands with her towel a week earlier, Taeyeon would find any excuse to touch them again.

She would brush her fingers across Tiffany's whenever she passed the drinks or cover Tiffany's hands as they studied out of the same textbook, pretending to guide Tiffany's hand to a place Taeyeon needed clarification on. Her hands were always gentle, always ready to pull back if Tiffany ever decided to object.

Though whatever skin Taeyeon might have touched for a moment, Tiffany liked to pretend the warmth was still there.

Tiffany looked at the clock above before deciding to head to classes.

Taeyeon got up too, awkwardly standing as she waited for Tiffany to gather all her belongings. Then at the entrance, they looked at each other for a while.

"See you tomorrow?" Taeyeon said.

Tiffany nodded.

"See you tomorrow."