Deck the Halls

Romantic Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's okay. We'll be fine."

"But I really want to be there~!"

"It can't be helped ne... Omoni needs your help. And it's for a good cause."

"Fine... but I'll return by lunch."

"That'll be great. Later. Love you."

"Love you too."

After hanging up Jaejoong deflates. She stares at her phone mournfully and sighs. "Ma~?" Disappointed doe eyes meet inquisitive identical ones. "Daddy has to help your grandmother plan the fundraiser. He can't make it today."

Changmin doesn't get it but he knows when his mother is in need of his super magic cuddles. So he raises his arms, wanting to be held close to her and give her said cuddles. "Oh, you're so cute." Coos Jaejoong, picking him up and rubbing her cheek on her baby's soft face. "Ma~ma~" Changmin giggles loving the pleasure of getting cuddles as much as he's giving.

Jaejoong looks around the living room. She and Yunho moved around some of the furniture last night to make room for Christmas decorations. It would be a waste if they don't decorate the house now.

"This is going to be your first Christmas Minnie." Changmin laughs, partially because of Jaejoong's fingers tickling his belly. "This is daddy and my first home we can call our own. So in a way this Christmas will be a first for Daddy and me too."

"Kleee~maaa~!" Changmin squeals, having heard the word the last few days plenty of times to know it entails lots of good food and presents. "I don't want to delay the shopping till the last minute and it’ll be sad to scale down the celebrations just because daddy's not here. What say you and I surprise daddy with our Christmas preparation?"

"Yesh! Kleemas!" Changmin cheers and that's all Jaejoong needs.

~~~

Yoochun drags his feet to the door when the person on the other side rang the doorbell for the third time. When he tiredly opens the door, he's surprised to find Jaejoong, bundled up in a thick white coat with a furry hood over her head, a blue scarf around her shoulders and paired with blue gloves and black boots. The backpack on her looked weirdly out of place with her simple winter chic style.

"Hey... what's up?" His voice comes out hoarse and he resists the urge to cough.

"How are you feeling?"

"Could be better... but most of the cold's gone. Thanks for the food by the way."

"It's okay. We actually need your help." When she says 'we' Yoochun peeks outside and spots the stroller beside Jaejoong. The beanie and blanket only reveal Changmin's face. But Yoochun can guess he's dressed warm and tucked in cosy with a bottle within his reach. These two are obviously prepared for an outing in Seoul's winter.

"Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah... but I'm not sure where." Jaejoong fidgets sheepishly, "I feel bad asking you this when you're sick but Yunho's busy planning the annual fundraiser because his dad is not feeling well either. We had plans to get our first tree and decorations but since he can't join us I thought of surprising him. But I don't know where to buy a tree from. So I need your help."

She twirled to show her backpack, "I've made you lots of soup to have on the way. And you don't have to drive. I called for a car and you just have to tell the driver where to go. You can rest in the car too if you want. It's big and I have an extra blanket and I'll keep Minnie out of your hair-" Jaejoong flinched when the door closed. She blinks in a daze and looks at her son in the stroller. She opens to speak but it dies when the door opens again.

"Sorry. Had to get my boots from behind the door. Gets really cold at the Christmas market." Yoochun, now clad in a coat over his sweats hops while putting on his boots.

Jaejoong beams and pushes Changmin's stroller towards the elevator with Yoochun following behind him.

~~~

"Bambi~," Changmin points at the large cut-out of Rudolph, an indirect demand for it.

 "That's actually Rudolph. I'll make you listen to the carol later." Jaejoong adjusts Changmin's blanket and asks the middle-aged man for the reindeer decoration. She paid for the silver streamers, the lights, the wreaths for every door in the house and reindeer and snowman decorations.

By the time she's done, she's got a reindeer, snowman, and lights in her hands. The rest are hanging off the hooks on Changmin's stroller.

"We still have to get the tree." Jaejoong tells Changmin from above the stroller. "I think we better unload first."

They head back to the car some distance from the street where the Christmas market is. The driver was waiting outside the car and spots her right away. He immediately helps her with the bags, stacking them in the boot neatly when Jaejoong tells him she's got more stuff to get.

"Did you get everything?" Yoochun asks over his thermos of soup when Jaejoong opens the door.

"Still have to get the tree." Jaejoong puts Changmin in the car seat, not strapping him yet. He frets and clutches her sleeves but she pries his fingers away. "I'm sorry bubby. Mama can't take you and a tree."

"It's okay Jae. I got him." Yoochun hands Changmin his Bambi toy and distracts him.

"Okay~ I'll be back with a tree." Jaejoong jogs away, letting the driver pack Changmin's stroller in the back.

~~~

By the time she was done Jaejoong was back with more than a tree. She bought four bagsful of sweets and cooking utensils to make Christmas themed cookies and desserts. Changmin's stroller served as a convenient cart for all three bags while she carried the tree.

"I see you got the artificial tree." Yoochun remarks after observing the narrow cardboard box she's carrying and figuring the tree is folded up and packed inside it. His talking wakes up Changmin in his arms just when the elevator arrives on the Jungs floor.

"Yunho and I decided this would be better. We can store it in his office later." Jaejoong reaches a hand out to rub Changmin's back when he looks around disorientated. She notices his nose looks a tad red just before his face wrinkles and he lets out a sloppy sneeze. Jaejoong is surprised, yet uses a glove clad hand to wipe Changmin's snot without inhibitions.

"This is bad...." Yoochun groans. He helps her carry all the purchases to their living room and takes the wreath he purchased for his own house. "Jae, I really wanted to help you put up all the decorations but I've already passed my cold to Minnie and I don't want you to get sick too."

"It's okay. Yunho and I got flu shots already. But you should go rest. I planned to do it myself anyway. Take the rest of the soup from the kitchen."

Yoochun gets the pot from the kitchen and leaves in a hurry. Once he was gone, Jaejoong turns her attention to one sniffling baby. Changmin sneezes thrice in a row, making his eyes water and throat hurt. "Ma~~" He whimpers and Jaejoong gets a tissue to wipe his face.

This kind of discomfort is new to him and he's not liking it. "Let's get you all warm and snuggly." Jaejoong changes him out of the warm clothes into a comfortable onesie.

After consuming a warm bottle of milk Changmin slipped into fitful slumber. Jaejoong watches him over the crib as she waits for the person on the other end to pick up his phone.

When he does answer the phone, he begins a litany before she could get a word in. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I thought I could make it but the caterer arrived with samples and it took forever. But I promise to get done soon. We can still go shopping in the evening."

"It's okay. Minnie and I already went to a Christmas market. I called a car and Yoochun was a big help."

"Oh... is he fine now?" Jaejoong can sense from Yunho’s voice that he’s slightly disappointed but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter