Special Talent

Romantic Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leeteuk was just done with dinner when a young maid brought her the phone informing her it's a call from her son. "Hi hun! ... Sorry, Joongie can't come to the phone right now. She's busy.... busy with what?" Leeteuk looked across the table where a seven months pregnant Jaejoong was stuffing her face with lasagne. "Feeding your baby... yep."

Leeteuk the speaker mode as Yunho requested. "Joongie sweetie, it's Yunho."

"Yunnie~ I got lemon tart!"

"Hahaha! Finally, you've been asking that for days. I hope you're eating well."

"Ne~ I also got lasagne, and bimbap, and fried chicken and..." Jaejoong recounted the dishes she had for dinner. A total of 11 assorted dishes that the glutton in her womb demanded.

Leeteuk allowed the maids to take her empty plate along with Jaejoong's. While Jaejoong spoke, Leeteuk glanced out the window. The lightning in the distance signalled it's going to be a stormy night.

Yunho and Kangin are out of the city on business and were supposed to travel back as soon as possible. "Madam, should we get anything for Miss Jaejoong? A late night snack for her cravings perhaps?" Leeteuk was asked by one of the staff. "Just get her vitamins and serve her the tart. And make sure her sweet stash is stocked." The staff did as Leeteuk said and one of them began serving Jaejoong a large slice of the tart. "Yunho, Joongie's going to have a beloved lemon tart now. You better call it a night too."

"G'night Yunnie!"

"Night Boo. Love you and baby."

Leeteuk turned off the speaker function and slipped out of the dining room to talk to Yunho privately. "Are you done with your work Yunho?"

"Yeah, dad and I are heading to dinner in the hotel's restaurant and then we'll hit the road."

 "Alright, it's going to rain tonight. So I don't want you two driving until it's at least daylight. You get me?"

"It's raining?"

"Looks like it will. Don't you dare drive back in a storm."

"Alright mom. Just don't leave Jae alone tonight please."

"Umm... sure?"

"Thanks mom. Love ya. Night." And Yunho hung up leaving Leeteuk to wonder if he's going to listen to her and not actually drive back tonight. She didn't get to muse on it too long because the phone began ringing again.

 Leeteuk answered quickly seeing as it's Kim Heechul calling. "To what do I owe the pleasure Heenim?"

"Teukie, is Joongie at home? I know Yunho is out of town for business." "Yeah, Jaejoong's just done with dinner actually. Why?"

"Umm... it looks like there's going to be a storm tonight and... Joongie can't handle such a wild weather." Heechul's tone was unlike her, almost hesitant.

Yunho didn't overtly ask her earlier too. But it made sense that he didn't want to give an impression that Jaejoong is juvenile for being scared of a little lightning. Not that Leeteuk thinks less of a perfectly normal fear. But these two parents-to-be are trying too hard to not burden their parents.

"She'll have trouble sleeping alone. Yunho knows about it. But he's not there tonight so... I'll come over right now, I mean, if it's fine?" For Heechul to actually ask permission instead of barging is astoundingly meaningful. It's probably by Hankyung's coaching but Heechul wants to treat Jaejoong as an adult that's going to be a parent soon. Even if it means not running to comfort her during a storm unless Jaejoong asks.

Leeteuk can't even trust herself to give Yunho and Jaejoong space to adult. But she can help. "Kim Heechul you're not stepping out in this storm."

"But-"

"come on! Joongie is my princess now too. You can trust me. I'll keep her company tonight."

"..... really?"

"Of course. I'll take care of her."

"Well, fine... but I'm coming first thing tomorrow."

"I'll keep the breakfast ready. Nighty night Cinderella."

"Yeah. Whatever." Leeteuk ended the call knowing Heechul was more at ease.

When Leeteuk entered the dining area again, Jaejoong was done with the meal. The table was cleared, save for a glass of water and Jaejoong's vitamins. But she made no move to have them. Her gaze was fixated out of the window, mostly curious now that food isn't distracting her.

But every time lightning cracked or thunder boomed those eyes blew wide and Jaejoong grew stiffer. It just made Leeteuk want to wrap her in a fluffy blanket and cuddle her. She gets why Yunho feels that. And she's also seen Jaejoong respond stubbornly to his overprotective behaviour.

Leeteuk predicts Jaejoong is more than likely to refuse Leeteuk to look more responsible. Better to make it look like Leeteuk needs help.

"Joongie, have you taken your vitamins?" Jaejoong was startled out of her gaping and hurriedly took her vitamins. "Say Joongie, isn't it really scary tonight? I can't sleep by myself like this." Jaejoong looked at her mother-in-law with that look that said 'you too?!' And Leeteuk amped up her acting. "Oh Kangin would always snuggle me when I'm unable to sleep. But he's not here. Ottoeke~"

Leeteuk was getting too carried away on her melodrama when she felt something tug the front of her shirt. Leeteuk looked at the pale hand lightly holding her shirt and an adorable Jaejoong looking down. "I-I can sleep with Umma tonight... s-so she's not lonely."

 Leeteuk eyed at the mother-to-be fondly. Heenim, this was a lot easier than she thought. "That's awesome! It'll be a Halmeoni, Umma and baby slumber party! Younghee-ssi!" Leeteuk tugged Jaejoong along upstairs while hollering orders for whichever staff that was on call. "Set up the entertainment room for a slumber party. Stock it up with sweets."

Jaejoong waddled after Leeteuk happily now realizing what a great idea it is to spend a stormy night in the soundproof entertainment room.

 ~~~

Yunho felt an emptiness beside him and reached over only to grasp at air and cold sheets. He cracked an eye open and the first thing he saw beyond the empty bed was the dark room dimly lit by the small little lamp on a changing table.

The sound of rain pelting the windows was almost amplified in the silence of the night. Even though the curtains were drawn Yunho could guess it's thunderous outside.

He sits up and finally locates the reason the other half of the bed is empty. Jaejoong is on the fluffy rug on the floor, not far from the changing table. Her is turned to him with the top half of her dress pooled at her waist. She flicked her hair with a shake of her head, her messily tied braid swaying against her shoulders in the dimness.

Yunho could make out one tiny covered foot under her elbow kick the air lazily.

He slid off the bed and head to where Jaejoong was. He could feel her shudder in the chilly air even if he's not touching her and he dropped himself behind her. His arms wrapped around hers and over the squirming runt latched on her chest.

Jaejoong had barely responded in a startled manner, having been aware of him since he sat up. She relaxed against him, loving the warmth of his chest against her after shivering in the cool atmosphere for the past half hour.

Yunho dropped a kiss on her exposed shoulder before tucking his chin in the little groove of her collarbone. His eyes met large doe eyes peering up at him. This little Bambi decided to detach himself from his food when he felt his father but apparently not ready to let go of his mother judging from the tiny fingers digging into Jaejoong's .

 "56 days." Jaejoong hears Yunho mumble and shook her head lightly.

"He's 58 days old."

"56 days since he let his Mama rest through the night."

"Hmm... he's always hungry at night."

"How did I sleep through this time?"

"You were tired. And he wasn't crying. Just restless till he was changed."

"You could wake me up to at least change him. You barely get sleep now."

Jaejoong hummed sleepily, and relaxed enough to let Changmin rest on her lap and give her numb arms a break. A thunderous roar resounded followed by the sound of rain falling harder.

But Jaejoong was surprisingly relaxed. "You're pretty calm despite the storm."

Yunho was answered by soft snores instead. He looked from the corner of his eye to find Jaejoong's head thrown back on his shoulder in deep slumber. He looked down to her lap where Changmin looks far from sleep. "Just let Mama rest tonight okay?" The infant seemingly understood and opened his mouth in a soundless laugh. Yunho wanted to carry Jaejoong to bed. But he couldn't move her or Changmin. "I guess we're sleeping here tonight."

As if taking the cue, Changmin yawns cutely and flutters his eyes close. Yunho tightened his embrace and drifted to sleep himself hoping he's enough to keep his wife warm tonight.

~~~

They had been stuck in the car for three hours. Traffic had been horrible. The weather made it impossible to reach the party at the Nams and difficult to return home.

"This was a bad idea."

Hankyung turned to his wife grimacing at the sky. It was only 4 in the evening but the dark clouds made it look past 7.

"I can send Nam Sijin a message we can't make it. I'm sure they'll understand." Hankyung sent the text as he spoke.

"That doesn't change the fact that we're stuck in this horrible weather in this stupid jam."

"It's not that bad. Hang on." Hankyung saw an opening and moved the car to the side of the road. "Want to head there?" Hankyung pointed to a cafe right where they parked. "We can stay there till the rain stops. What say, we make a run for it?"

After a pause, Heechul shook her head. "We go there." Heechul pointed at a pork cutlet shop some distance ahead. It was a struggle to see in the rain but Hankyung could make out a short queue of people outside the shop holding their bags, coats, and newspapers as makeshift umbrellas.

"There's a wait. You stay here. I'll get us some." Before Hankyung could leave however Heechul grabbed his arm. "Let's go together."

"Chullie, it's pouring. You stay here."

"No. Come on! It's just like our first date."

"Really? Coz I recall our first date differently."

"Didn't we miss our reservations so I took you to my favourite tteokbokki place and it start pouring when we were heading back and we had to eat in your car."

"Nope. You refused to eat in the restaurant I made reservations at coz you thought the decor was tacky. Then you insisted on tteokbokki, which I'm pretty sure was because you didn't trust me enough to pick a decent restaurant to your liking."

"Well you did pick a tacky restaurant for our date."

"And made me drive around for an hour to some god forsaken place you ate at when you were 12. And you didn't even share the umbrella you had." Heechul cursed her husband's good memory and grumbled.

"Well, you asked me out for a second date that same day."

"Because I discovered my remarkable ability to keep up with Kim Heechul and love it. Being married to you is like one of those roller coasters in the dark." Heechul smacked him for that simile but loved it nonetheless.

They were interrupted by tapping on the window and were surprised by who it was. Hankyung lowered the window to reveal Jaejoong's brightening face. "It's really you guys! I knew it was Appa's car."

Heechul took in Jaejoong's outfit, her sneakers and the bottom of her jeans were soaking wet and her black t-shirt hardly seemed weather appropriate. She held an umbrella in one hand and Changmin in the other. The baby in his little dolphin-themed raincoat couldn't care less about anything but the sight of rain falling from the sky.

Yet Heechul couldn't help but wonder when her princess who would burrow in her parents' bed at the first crack of lightning became brave enough to step out in this weather with a baby on her hip.

"Yah Joongie, get in first." Hankyung hollered behind Heechul.

Jaejoong opened the door of the backseat and Heechul twisted herself in the front to get Changmin. She didn't even care that Changmin's raincoat wet her very expensive dress when the baby giggled happily at the sight of Heechul.

"This is such a coincidence!" Jaejoong shoved her umbrella somewhere under the seat and took in her parents' appearance. "Where are you guys going? You're dressed fancy."

"We were supposed to go to party. But cancelled it since it doesn't look like we'll make it." Hankyung answered. "What are you doing out Joongie? You and Minnie will fall ill."

"No worries Daddy. Our apartment is a minute away."

"Really? I didn't realize it was this close." Hankyung peered outside to make out the familiar surroundings of the place Jaejoong and Yunho moved to a few days ago.

"Still, what was the emergency?" Heechul pressed, still in disbelief that Jaejoong is barely affected by thunderstorms as usual. Albeit it's just a downpour without lightning and thunder.

"This!" Jaejoong showed her bag with flourish. "It's pork cutlet. Yunnie and I planned to get it yesterday. But it's been raining all afternoon. And Yunnie was really looking forward to katsu curry when he's back home. So I found the closest place online. Pretty cool right. Haw!" Jaejoong gasped like a lightbulb went off in her head. "You're not going to the party right? You should come home. I already made the curry and rice. Daddy quickly. The light's green. Just turn the corner and we're home. H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter