Giving up

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the silliest one of all?

For the rest of the day I couldn’t concentrate anymore. I kept thinking of what the hell was really going on. Was Donghae real or not? I didn´t give back Donghae´s curriculum to Heechul. He had no chance to become an employee anyway and to me the piece of paper was more important. It was the only proof that the man was real. And honestly it wasn´t even much of help. How did it get in here anyway?

“Hey, hyung. You skipped the lunch break?” Somebody asked me and when I looked up I found a familiar tall man standing above me.

“I didn´t feel like eating,” I told him and leaned into my chair.

“I guess the issue with your house isn´t settled yet then,” Kyuhyun as always could see right through me.

“You have no idea, Kyu,” I sighed and squished my face between my palms in frustration. “It´s getting more and more complicated actually.”

“Mind telling me then? I could maybe help you, you know,” Kyuhyun took a seat on my desk. I hesitated. Should I tell him or not? The matter was serious but honestly too fantastic to be believable, even to myself. But not knowing what else to do I in the end gave up and decided to spill the beans. Knowing the younger he would find sooner or later by himself, a nosey friend.

I sighed and leaned over my desk. Kyuhyun quirked his brow but had his answer to the silent question when my arm pinched his on resting on my desk. The tall boy yelped and didn´t forget to curse at me. I only chuckled and grasped a paper that was previously under his bumper. It was Donghae´s curriculum which I handed to my friend.

“What´s that?” He asked me and sat on the other corner of my table. What a brat!

“That´s the other occupant of my house apparently, look at the address,” I gestured with my hand tiredly.

“And what´s this thing doing here by the way?” Kyuhyun was quickly getting into the detective mood.

“Heechul brought it here with other new interns´ CVs,” I explained. On the question where the guy was now I told him the truth, I had no idea. Naturally I began talking about Donghae´s fantastic entrance and his even crazier story about being locked in the mirror. As expected Kyuhyun was quite sceptical but when he took another glance at the dates and whole appearance of the curriculum, he too began wondering.

“Now I get why you are trying to pull out your hair. What´s with that colour anyway?” Kyuhyun snorted and I didn´t hesitate to pinch his again. Rude bastard.

“It´s because I put red colour on white bleach, that´s why it´s pink right now. It washed down but I like it this way so shut up,” I decided to make even bigger fool of myself with my statement. Fortunately my colleague only chuckled and continued examining the paper in his hands.

“Although I´m not really sure about it all, I find your story interesting, hyung,” he told me after a while, “Can I borrow this? I would like to make a little research.”

“Please, do,” I smiled at him and then watched the tall man fold the paper and put into his back pocket. I hope he will be of any help because I myself have no idea what to do anymore.

 

When I opened the door to my apartment I slightly feared that I might find the man from the mirror happily skipping in the living room or something. But the house was quiet and dark with no Donghaes in sight. I shook my head at my own foolishness and called for Choco. The little doggy quickly ran to me and I scooped him into my arms. I threw my bag on the ground and took the leash from the hanger. Clipping it on Choco´s collar we were ready to go out.

The evening was exceptionally warm today and I decided to stroll in the bigger park since I wanted to clear my mind too. I was so lucky to have my dog; the little puppy always knew how to bring up my mood. The relationship between us was an eternal love, I tell you.

“Choco, don´t!” I scolded the puppy and pulled on the leash before it could take another of that homeless person´s face. Nasty. “You will get sick, Choco,” I scolded again but the dog was persistent and continued whining.

I felt a little confused by Choco´s behaviour but the pet always had the best intuition so I had to man up and at least take a look on the smelly person lying in the grass. I quietly walked closer and crouched down.

“Um, are you alright?” I asked quietly. I didn´t want to touch him and was a little scared that he might be drunk or aggressive. But Choco kept barking and the man´s face and that had to mean something. Suddenly the man grumbled woken up either by my presence or rather by Choco´s continuous cute rant. The homeless guy unwrapped the paper cover he was lying under with hardships and tiredly looked at me. The moment it happened we both froze in the place. Only Choco wasn´t affected and having more of the guy´s face bared, it started another attack. The homeless person laughed and caught the puppy with his hands.

“Don´t!” I panicked and stole my dog from him.

“Sorry,” a pair of sad brown eyes looked away.

After that it was silent again. The trees were rustling in the autumn wind tearing down coloured leaves. Sometimes the noise from the street would get into the calm park and sometimes a random passer-by would stir the dirt while jogging. Nobody stopped nor glanced at us, though. Choco began playing with the leash ignoring the world around. Ignoring the tension between the two people sitting on the cold ground of the evening park.

I cleared my throat: “Y-You were here all this time?” I bit my lip of course feeling guilty.

“Not really. I tried lots of things to find a job or another place to live at but it didn´t work. I came to the park only a few hours ago, don´t worry,” Donghae smiled exhaustion apparent on him.

“I wasn´t worrying about you!” I protested childishly adding a pout to look even less mature. Inwardly I felt embarrassed of course.

“Sorry,” Donghae apologised once more to my chagrin. Are you planning to make me feel even guiltier you little , huh?

“So you have nowhere to go to right now?” I released Choco and stood up holding the leash in my folded arms.

„I´m afraid so,” Donghae sighed exasperatedly. And looking at his pitiful face I suddenly understood he was playing on my feelings. And although I knew it, I couldn´t fight him back.

“I wish I could leave you here,” I ran my fingers through my pink hair. “But I don´t think I can,” I chuckled at my weakness. “Let´s go back to my house and I´ll help you find a job or something.”

“Oh thank you, Hyukjae!” Donghae was quickly up on his legs and didn´t look as tired and pitiful anymore. What the hell? That bastard was totally acting just a minute ago; he should have become an actor really.

“I´ll do anything to pay you back! I swear,” he was almost kissing my shoes at the moment and I got this pretty good idea suddenly.

“Anything?” I repeated and the brunette nodded his head vigorously. “Great, since I found out finally the truth how it works, I´ll put you back into your mirror, how about it?” I smiled widely. Donghae´s face lost all its colour.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! Finally I managed to update. I´m so sorry but I somehow don´t have any ideas right now (well I know how the story should continue and end but I can´t think of any jokes or funny situations). It´s becoming boring, I´m sorry. T_T Congrats!!!! SJ 9th aniversary!!!!!!! And to Kyu´s solo album too of course (I totally loved how Eunhyuk promoted it on his twitter :D). Thank you for readind and commenting! Take care, guys. - PandaHero