Hallucinating

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the silliest one of all?

I was strolling through the biggest park in our neighbourhood with Choco on the leash. It was autumn already but today was pretty nice weather, so contrasting with my own mood. And it was only Saturday afternoon, free day. But it can´t be helped when my mind is so confused at the moment.

“Choco, Choco, Choco,” I cooed at the dog who started jumping around my skinny legs. “What would I do without you? I would go crazy.” I answered the question myself and snorted.

I sat on a bench and put the fluffy little animal on my lap. I began running my fingers through its long fur while I thought about what to do from now on. I´m still not actually sure as to who this Lee Donghae is. Let´s pretend he really came from the huge ancient mirror in my room. Let´s forget about how he got there and how I got him out, if it was me who saved that idiot in the first place. Now what am I supposed to do with him? There´s no way I can let a stranger live with me and on top of that pay for his expenses. Call me scorch but I´m not paying a single won for him. I sighed and rubbed my temples.

“Hangover?” Somebody asked me out of nowhere. I snapped my head up only to see one of my co-workers in front of me. I gave him a small smile as greeting and watched him sit down next to me.

“I wish it was, Kyuhyun,” I answered sadly. I felt like it was a good timing to meet this exact person right now. He was one of my best friends and I knew I could count on this tall man with wavy hair and chocolate eyes.

“Is something wrong then?” Kyuhyun inquired. See, I told you he would be useful.

“I might have found myself in some troubles recently,” I hesitated. I couldn´t really tell him about Donghae, could I? He would think that I went crazy or that I´m taking drugs. “With the living.”

“Is it about your new apartment? I warned you it was fishy that it was so cheap,” Kyuhyun shook his head.

“I know but it´s too late to cry about that I guess,” I admitted being careless but who would have thought that there would be somebody living in the mirror!

“So what´s wrong?” My friend was sincerely worried about me by now. Cold breeze hit our bodies and I rounded Choco with my long scarf.

“Someone else lives in that house already but he appeared only yesterday. I can´t really kick him out but I don´t want to share with him either. And he´s unemployed so I would have to pay for his expenses too, you know how much I would hate that,” I explained as best as I could my situation to Kyuhyun. The latter thought about it deeply for a moment.

“And where is he now?” He asked me and I sighed again.

“We argued so I needed to clear my mind. I took Choco for another walk and left him in the apartment,” I said but hearing me Kyuhyun couldn´t hold back anymore and slapped the back of my head.

“Aren´t you an idiot, hyung?” The tall man frowned. “You left a stranger in your house. What if he steals your things or changes the lock. He could destroy your stuff to take revenge on you or something. He´ll try to chase you out of the flat, trust me,” he warned me but by the time he finished his speech, I was already all nervous and giddy. I had to go back!

“Thanks, Kyuhyun! I gotta go but visit me soon, please,” I told him already on my way back with Choco in my arms. My dog has too short legs you see and I´m in a hurry. My flat might be already empty! What if he made a squat out of it?!

I ran back into my house and unlocked quickly the door but to my surprise everything looked as I left it. What more, it looked as if there has never been any Donghae. I looked thoroughly everywhere but couldn´t find any traces of the boy. Was it just my imagination? I remembered today´s breakfast and hurried to the kitchen. I opened the bin but there was only one cup and one box for sandwiches. Don´t tell me he really doesn´t exist?! My next destination couldn´t be anything else but the huge mirror in my room. I scanned the shiny surface but just like in the rest of the house I couldn´t find anything out of the ordinary. I must have really gone crazy then.

For the whole Saturday and even Sunday I kept wandering around. The whole weekend I passed by thinking about Lee Donghae, the man from my mirror. But when I woke up on Monday, I had my answer. It was just a fruit of my fantasy, a mirage, hallucination. On one hand I was glad on the other I was kinda disturbed. I should visit a doctor soon maybe.

“Morning, Hyuk,” Sungmin called from his table when I entered the office, “you look like honestly.” He added and I couldn´t even deny. I haven´t slept properly after all.

“Good morning to you too,” I greeted back ignoring the remark about the condition of my body. I sat down on my place and opened the first file. Soon I found myself immersed in my work happily forgetting about my new found mental illness. I was taken out of my concentrated state only by the appearance of my boss.

“Lee Hyukjae?” He called the moment he entered the room of us, unfortunate white collars.

“Yes, hyung?” I raised my head to pay him my utmost attention just like I was used to.

“I would like you to go through the curriculums of the new interns for this semester; could you do it quickly for me?” He asked me and I happily agreed. Not like I was happy, it´s just expected of me to do my best and most importantly never say no to the world´s big boss.

I rolled my eyes when the eccentric man left the room and heard Sungmin chuckle next to me. Not sparing him a single glance I took the pile of papers Kim Heechul unceremoniously threw on my table and started going through them. It was boring but at least I knew how to do this quickly so it didn´t take me much time. I was almost done before lunch with separating the papers into two blocks. People who would get a chance during the oral interview and the unlucky ones who´s curriculums would be thrown away.

I was about to stand up when I noticed another paper on my desk. It looked way too different so I didn´t notice it at first as I thought it was another paperwork. But when I looked closely I realised it was another CV. I sighed and started reading the paper but only the first line made me almost stop breathing.

Lee Donghae, born 15th of October 1966 in Mokpo

Are you joking?! I continued reading most of the time completely useless information. I learned he knew zero languages although he was applying to work in a travel agency and had no common knowledge whatsoever. According to the paper he wanted to try it and would work hard no matter what kind of job he would get. Interesting but useless in this age. Trying or working hard isn´t enough anymore, is he really twenty years back? Now you need to have qualifications and references from school and previous employers. Diplomas and knowledge of more than two languages. And even that isn´t enough today to find a good job because almost everyone nowadays has a university degree. But Donghae doesn´t have anything like that written inside his old fashioned curriculum. I skipped down to take a look at his contact information and to my horror there was only one thing. No cell phone number only his address. This explains why the paper has signs of folding. The rest of the CVs were sent via e-mail and printed by Heechul. Donghae´s, though, was sent in an envelope.

I started wondering if I shouldn´t send him a letter too and tell him about how I imagined him in my house. He probably won´t get chosen to work in the company so my story could make this person laugh at least. I thought it was a good idea and searched for his address once again to copy it. But my blood froze when I read it. It was my address!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hi! So Donghae is gone, or not? :D Poor Hyukjae doesn´t know anymore. Thank you for reading and commenting, I hope you aren´t confused anymore. If I unfolded all the secrets, it wouldn´t be fun anymore. :P There´s so much work ta school T_T but it´s the same for you all too I guess so I won´t whine too much :D Thank you for reading and comments. Some of you are really funny, makes me want to joke around more, kkk. - PandaHero