Ending

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the silliest one of all?

 

As if my coat was on fire I ran off from the plane and rushed into the airport and from there towards the nearest bus stop. I was gripping the pack of candies in my hand and anxiously stomping my feet. When the bus arrived, I jumped inside and continued my nervous breakdown there. Soon, soon I can grab it. The thing that I was unable to grasp for years.

My eyes were darting at the hazy lights behind the scratched window of the bus. Usually boring streets were full of colours and people were holding onto each other as if they were connected. I didn´t hear any carols over the loud engine but I was sure they were everywhere out there. I wasn´t the sentimental type, Christmas was for the day of the year when I could have a little kinkier demands on my lover or when I could stuff myself with sweet food since the morning. It was Donghae who made this year special. I wanted to be a little more sensitive.

The bus soon stopped in front of the park near my house and I began running. But it wasn´t to my apartment. Instead I ran into the park and almost fell down because of the icy path. I would love to say that it was the gut feeling that sent me to the park. But it wasn´t, rather common sense. The lights in the windows of my apartment were turned off, which could mean that Donghae was outside. Where would that old child go? I haven´t been that gentle towards him but there was one romantic memory we had. The evening at the Christmas market. I believed Donghae would be there.

It was only about a half an hour left before Christmas would end and I didn´t want to lose my chance. As I was nearing the centre of the park I could already see the huge tree shining in front of me. The Christmas market was long gone but the lights on the tree were nowhere less beautiful. It was a completely new feeling for me, I was a little lost for a moment.

Then I spotted a person standing there alone and looking up at the tree. Great, I´m not late. I stopped to take a breather and continued walking towards the person slowly. Hearing the footsteps, the raven haired male turned around and finally looked at me.

“Merry Christmas, Donghae,” I said bluntly still catching my breath.

“You too, Hyukjae,” Donghae answered a little too happy. Wasn´t he angry at me? I walked to stand next him and raised my hand with the candies. It was the only present I could offer to him but I thought that he would be disappointed if I skipped the tradition. I thanked the old lady from the plane in my head.

“Thanks,” Donghae smiled and took the little pack effortlessly. And we covered ourselves in a short comfortable silence. We knew we would have to talk but we had time.

“When you left, I found out the reason, why I escaped from the mirror.” Donghae suddenly broke the silence and although I was all giddy to tell him about my new resolutions and change of heart, I stayed quiet to listen.

“It was a destiny,” Donghae smiled and looked at the tree again, “I told you about my family, right?” I nodded. “I was raised in a little cold manner and thus I didn´t understand what it meant to love and I hurt so many people for that reason. I still feel bad but it´s in the past already,” Donghae kept smiling and I didn´t dare to take my eyes off of him.

It was a story that Donghae told me not long before I had disappeared. About him being cold and cruel. I couldn´t imagine it, towards me he has almost always been warm or mischievous to say the most. But he did have this side of him too, that part of him that would tell a girl something nasty and make me feel all scared and angry. I knew about it and I could live with it.

“When you moved in, it was still like that. I was a little insensitive towards you too but that night when you talked to me, something had changed. For the first time I found somebody endearing and amusing. I thought you were smart and handsome and I continued to watch you even in your sleep. I was so enchanted that my heart began beating fast and before I knew it, I fell over the frame.”

“I was right, Hyukjae,” he turned to me and my heart skipped a beat or two, “I got out of the mirror thanks to you. I fell for you.”

I know it will sound pretty unromantic but I wasn´t even surprised by this. I knew it, for a long time actually but I intentionally ignored it because I felt scared. Donghae was being obvious with his jealousy and care for me. Now I hoped I knew what to do. Although I couldn´t be as straightforward as Donghae.

“So you know why I couldn´t get locked in the mirror then,” I said with a small smile. I wasn´t lacking the love nor warmness. On the opposite, those feelings were growing stronger in me day by day.

Donghae´s eyes widened and quickly glistened with tears so I quickly added: “I came back because I want to take you somewhere.” I cleared my throat to not sound so awkward. The topic of love was a little too much for me to handle.

“Where?” Donghae laughed breaking the awkwardness and trying to calm himself down.

“Everywhere!” I spread my arms in a big gesture. “To Rome and to China and to Paris!” Then I turned to him and looked straight into his dangerous eyes. “Do you want to go?”

Donghae was now crying like a little child. He was nodding his head vigorously and wiping his tears while laughing. What a sight, really. I stepped forward and enveloped him in a bear hug. I swayed his body from side to side and let him wipe his tears into my parka. That guy was a trouble maker but in no way I was letting anything cause him pain anymore. I knew I was weak, especially in front of Donghae, but I didn´t think I would have to change this aspect of me. I trusted that he wouldn´t hurt me back.

In the end we stood in front of the tree for a long time. We were talking about anything and everything. About the places I wanted to show him, about past and about Christmas too. I felt blissful but it was cold so we decided to return home. I would want to finally call the cheap haunted apartment my home because from now on it would be the place to return to. Together. Hand in hand. Just like now.

“But I knew you didn´t fall into the mirror,” Donghae said on the way and swayed our hands.

“Really? I saw you cry, though,” I was surprised.

Donghae quickly admitted: “At first yes but not long after I found out from Heechul and that calmed me down. I wasn´t worried since then and knew you would come back.” Strange, what did I do wrong? I thought I hid well and I didn´t tell anyone I was leaving for Jeju. What could it be…

“Hyukjae, you called your boss and took a paid leave at work.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_THE END_

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So that´s it, guys. :) I know it´s a bit rushed but I was happy to finish this story. I hope you aren´t disappointed too much. There wasn´t even any real action or anything. Hyukjae´s words might be quite confusing too but I´m sure you understand him. He´s too shy after all... :D Again, thank you for reading and making it to the end of this story. It isn´t the best one but it does have some points. Thank you for everything and stay happy no matter what. - PandaHero