Looking

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, who is the silliest one of all?

“Hyukjae? Your name is Hyukjae, right?”

Someone kept asking me and in my confusion I wasn´t even sure whether Hyukjae was my name. Nevertheless I made an effort to start my brain and make it work a little bit at least. I grumbled feeling hard parquets against my bony body. In a few minutes I was already able to tell where I was. On the ground of my bedroom from the last century. But what was I doing there anyway?

“Hyukjae? Are you alright?”

The voice inquired and my newly gained attentiveness made me immediately feel scared. Shivers were having a race down my body when I remembered the reason I fell on the floor. I fainted from seeing a ghost in my mirror. Don´t tell me the voice belongs to him!

“You scared me, Hyukjae. Please, say you didn´t hurt yourself,” the ghost spoke with a worry in his voice and although I was frightened to the core, I felt like I should answer.

“Um, I guess I´m fine?” I mumbled picking myself up into a sitting position. But I made sure I was turned away from the mirror. I sat sideways because back-facing the ghost didn´t seem like a clever idea either.

“Alright, I was a little careless just now and also rude towards you so forgive me, please,” the voice next to me spoke very slowly and calmly, probably trying hard to not scare me any more.

“Ehm,” I cleared my throat, “and w-who might you b-be?” I bravely asked the ghost still looking away.

“Oh, my name is Lee Donghae!” A cheerful shout suddenly broke the eerie atmosphere. I got startled by the loud noise but mostly I felt I little stupid because I needed a little different answer like ´I´m a ghost´ or ´I´m just a fruit of your fantasy´.

“C-Could you specify a l-little?” I stuttered out after a short silence.

“What do you mean?” The person next to me asked but I couldn´t answer him so he tried his best to help me out instead. “Um, well, I´m Lee Donghae, born 15th of October 1966 in Mokpo, bachelor and university graduate since 1989. I worked as a musician but I didn´t manage to make it far so I was just a part-timer for most of the time. I like dogs and seafood. And I don´t know, do you have any questions?”

Who is interested in what kind of food he likes for the god´s sake?! Doesn´t he find it strange speaking from my mirror?! This guy can´t be for real. Maybe he´s not there at all and all this is my fantasy. Maybe I was feeling lonely or like my life was a bit dull that I started imagining non-existent people in my bedroom. Or it´s just a joke and the man is some kind of a hologram or visualisation. My head started spinning again and when the voice began talking about his other hobbies I exploded.

“Oh my God! I was asking what you are! A ghost? Or prankster maybe? Are you my hallucination?!” I cried out and pulled on my hair while my body contorted and shrank itself into a small ball.

“Hyukjae?” The foreign voice changed again and spoke silently in a deep voice. Donghae spoke quietly as if afraid he would break the egg like body in front of him. “I´m very sorry for surprising you. I´m not a ghost or at least I believe so. I could be called a prankster in occasions but unfortunately for you I´m not your hallucination. I´m real, Hyukjae but I´m not here to scare you or harm you so maybe you could try to look at me. What do you think?” The hopeful question at the end made my heart clench a little. Should I try it? C´mon, Hyuk, you just came from a Halloween party, I´m sure there were uglier creatures then the one next to you. According to the voice at least. For example the girl behind the bar had a pretty ugly moustache and it wasn´t even a costume! I decided for the challenge.

“A-Alright but promise me you aren´t scary,” I told him awkwardly. Only later I realised what nonsense I was sprouting. But Donghae took the question pretty well.

“I promise I´m handsome,” he answered and I couldn´t help but scoff.

I breathed in and out and unpacked myself from the ball position. I stretched my legs and put my hands on my lap. I bit my lip and turned my head to the side towards the mirror. Then I slowly started opening one eye. But when it did open my eye I closed it right away again and jerked backwards almost falling down again. All I remembered were huge eyes falling out of their sockets and a face squished against the glass. Wait, against the glass?

“Don´t tell me you made this face only to startle me because if yes, I´m throwing this mirror out of the balcony!” I warned him.

“I´m sorry, Hyukjae! Please, don´t! I just couldn´t help myself, you looked so funny being careful not to look at me that I had to do something,” Donghae rambled and together with his voice I could hear a slight squeaking. I guess he was wiping his side of the mirror with his sleeve.

I sighed and simply glanced into the mirror. It felt so much easier suddenly because I was sure there had to be an idiot on the other side. And true to my thinking a young man was kneeling next to me. He had black hair with banks divided perfectly in the centre. He had brown deep orbs and double lidded eyes with dark lashes. His face looked perfect and I guessed he was around twenty or something years old. He wore baggy pants and huge buttoned up checked shirt with which he was currently cleaning the glass. I had to chuckle.

“And you said you were handsome,” I said with a smirk. Donghae stopped wiping the glass when he noticed me watching him. A huge crooked smile broke on his lips out of sheer happiness.

“Thanks God,” he mumbled, “I thought you wouldn´t look.” Then he suddenly pouted and stepped away slightly: “But before talking about me check yourself out first, please.”

Without Donghae in the way I could finally spot myself in the mirror. Just as I predicted the black make-up was smeared all over my face and after my little breakdown the red hair was messy like never before. I sighed.

“Wait here,” I said and stood up.

“I can´t go anywhere,” Donghae answered a little sadly but smiled at me quickly.

I went to the bathroom where I washed myself properly. The hot water cleaned the strong perfume I wore and also the smell of cigarettes I caught in the bar. I shampooed my hair well and used a conditioner too. I like to bleach my hair often so I need to take care of it if I don´t want to be bald soon. I walked out of the shower and rinsed my teeth. I put on a cream so my skin would stay fresh and look better the next day. I know I´m not a looker and that´s why I need to take care of myself.

I switched off the lights in the flat and with only a towel around my hips shuffled towards the bedroom. I the light on the bedside lamp and opened the huge closet. I picked out the warmest pyjamas and threw them on the bed the towel tossed on the floor. I was about to clothe myself when I heard something that made me almost faint again.

“Em, you didn´t forget about me here, did you?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Double update since it´s the start. :) The whole story will be from Hyukjae´s POV. It would be hard for me from Donghae´s. You´ll learn why soon. Please anticipate the continuation. :D Also it seems like SuJu have some pretty nice chances for MAMA awards this year. Let´s help vote for them, neh? It would be a nice Christams present (are MAMA in decemer, right? Or not? :D don´t know anymore). Hyukjae´scopy of This is love album is sold out T_T I have to wait more then. :D Thank you for reading! - PandaHero