Chapter 8

Taming Miss Eyesmile

Yuri was woken up when she heard a knock followed by her bedroom door opening. She groggily sat up and saw Tiffany slowly walking in while holding a phone in hand with the flashlight . She reached for the bedside lamp and turned it on but no light came about. She tried to switch it on again but nothing happened.

“An accident happened a few blocks from here and an electric post was damaged. Electricity will be restored first thing tomorrow morning.” Tiffany spoke as she stopped at the foot of Yuri’s bed.

“Oh.” Yuri nodded in understanding. “Emergency lights of the apartment?”

Tiffany shook her head. “I called the landlady and said our floor’s emergency lights were busted two days ago and was to be replaced this weekend.”

Another nod was Yuri’s response. She silently observed the girl standing at the foot of her bed. She could tell something was up with Tiffany because the girl kept playing with the phone on her hand which resulted to swaying lights on the floor.

“Uhhh….” Tiffany didn’t know how to start. She was busy with her paper when the electricity came off. Luckily her laptop had still a few remaining battery life so she was able to save her work before it finally became empty. She waited for a while for the emergency lights to turn on but nothing came. When she asked the landlady she was disappointed to hear the old lady’s response. After contemplating she finally decided to go over to Yuri’s bedroom.

Yuri patiently waited. Though somehow she already had an idea as to where this conversation was going.

“Can----can I stay here? It’s so dark outside.” Tiffany’s voice was almost inaudible.

Even with the source of light only coming from Tiffany’s phone, Yuri could tell the girl was becoming red due to embarrassment. Yuri suppressed a smile. Somehow the shy Tiffany is becoming an adorable sight for her.

“Sure. Only in one condition.”

Tiffany lifted her head up and confusingly glanced at the girl on the bed.

“No pushing off the bed when you wake up. Deal?” Yuri smiled.

Tiffany shyly nodded and also smiled.

“Good. Let’s go to bed now.” Yuri then scooted to the other end of the bed making room for Tiffany.

Tiffany walked to the other side of the bed and slowly climbed up to bed.

Yuri had her eyes closed when she felt the bed shift. When she opened her eyes again she was surprised to see Tiffany with arms together against the girl’s chest and snuggling close to her supposedly side of the bed. Though no words were said, Yuri could tell that the girl was afraid of the dark. Yuri thought for a moment until she decided to close the gap between them letting the girl snuggle beside her. She then hesitantly and slowly put her arm around Tiffany. She somehow expected a yell or her hand to be swatted away but then she felt the girl relax under her hold. When she looked down to check she saw Tiffany already asleep. Wow. She must be really sleepy. Yuri then closed her eyes and fell asleep wearing a small smile on her face.

***

When Tiffany opened her eyes she saw the Mickey Mouse alarm clock on the bedside table. Then she saw what she thought was a hand drawn image on a canvass paper posted on the wall. The scene seemed familiar though she wasn’t sure where she saw it.  A smile formed unto Tiffany lips as she eyed the cartooned character curtains – Mickey Mouse. She was about to move when she felt arms around her tightened. It was only then she realized that she was practically hugging Yuri. Again. While she was being hugged by the girl in return. Her eyes widened with the realization and was about to bolt up when she heard Yuri speak.

“You promised. No pushing off the bed.” Yuri mumbled.

Tiffany glanced up but saw Yuri with eyes still closed and calmly sleeping. She then slowly retracted her arms around the sleeping girl. She silently observed the sleeping girl’s features. From the girl’s slightly pouting lips to its prominent nose bridge, her bushy eyebrows, long black lashes…

Yuri felt the arms around her loosen up. She also slowly removed her arms around Tiffany and opened her eyes. When she glanced at the girl beside her, she was surprised to see two brown orbs staring at her. Yuri caught her breath. Seeing Tiffany up close and wide awake while looking at her made her heart beat faster than usual. Again.

After observing the girl’s features, Tiffany saw Yuri’s eyes flutter open and stare back at her. Tiffany’s breath hitched. She suddenly felt her heart beating loudly against her chest. She held her breath when she saw Yuri slowly leaning towards her while not breaking eye contact.

Yuri wasn’t sure why or how but she felt being drawn at the two brown orbs staring at her. She slowly leaned in slowly closing the gap between them.

RIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG~

The two were interrupted with the loud ringing of Tiffany’s phone. Both girls immediately pulled away like someone being electrocuted.

“Hello? Taetae? Yes I’m fine. The landlady said electricity will be restored today.”

Yuri heard Tiffany answer her phone. Taetae again. So early in the morning. She could still feel her heart pounding hard against her ribcage. If she wasn’t mistaken, Tiffany seemed expectant while she slowly leaned in towards the girl. Yuri was interrupted with her train of thoughts when her phone rang.

“Hello? Yoong?”

Tiffany threw a glance at Yuri’s direction when she heard the girl answer her phone. Why is Yoona calling her this early? While Taeyeon was speaking on the other line, Tiffany’s thoughts replayed the scene earlier. If she wasn’t mistaken, Yuri was definitely slowly leaning towards her. Though she wasn’t sure herself as to why she didn’t move away.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

^^